Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th September 2022, 16:42   #256

Re: Citroen C3 Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omkar View Post
• Missing plenty of features = electric ORVM adjustment, IRVM dimmer (not even manual), climate control, rear wiper & defogger, reversing camera, alloy wheels, tachometer!
So, I have bought a new Scorpio IRVM (Manual dimming) from Mahindra store, which has the same mount.

Last edited by aah78 : 20th September 2022 at 17:04. Reason: Quote trimmed, typos, spacing.
nsaini10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th September 2022, 22:40   #257
BHPian

As we all know that majority of the car sales in India comes from the budget end of the spectrum specifically under 10Lakh Rupees and MSIL is the unrivalled champion of that segment for years now though recently it has been facing some stiff competition from OEMs like Tata Motors and Hyundai, also Renault with their onslaught of cheap, easy to maintain and practical thoughtfully designed for India cars have shaken up the things there. Now to further create some buzz and activity in this segment here comes an offering from Citroën Motors a worldwide renowned automaker which has a history of making cars for more than a century now and currently part of the Stellantis group, the same group having their sister brands like Jeep, Puegeot, Dodge, Alfa Romeo, Maserati etcetera. They have launched the C3 hatchback to compete against cars like Swift, i10 and the rest, what it brings to the table is quite an interesting proposition which made me curious and check the car out in person.

Firstly speaking about the showroom which in their speak is called as "La Maison Citroën" which I guess roughly translates into the house of Citroën(experts may verify), this gives a nice first impressions about the homeland of the brand for the uninitiated. The showroom ambience itself was quite nice, it wasn't exceptional but it was good. What I found rather unique were the little scale models of the various Citroën cars ranging from vintage to electric cars! There was even a scale model of the C5 Aircross maybe of 1:32 ratio but costed a steep 5000 INR!, along with those there were several old photographs and anecdotes highlighting the rich heritage of the Citroën brand probably to create a strong impression in the minds of people about the their brand similar to what we have for say Toyota or Volkswagen.
Citroen C3 Review-img_6e1dfdb0176c1.jpeg

100years of progress of Citroën
Citroen C3 Review-img_8ca3a4fa46731.jpeg

A scale model of a vintage Citroën
Citroen C3 Review-img_033152d7ba611.jpeg

Scale model of C5 Aircross costing 5000INR apiece!
Citroen C3 Review-img_574556dc3f7b1.jpeg

Now coming to the C3 it was clear within say a minute of seeing it was Citroën was clear in making this car as inexpensive as possible, there is no rear wash wipe even as option(my Dads 2010 WagonR has this useful feature!), the door handles were simple flap type and there are no alloy wheels or fog lamps even on the top end variant though you can opt for both of them as paid add-ons though I must say the paint quality was excellent and I found very less orange peel effect, also the bonnet felt solid and the doors even though weren't as sturdy as say a Volkswagen Polo but they were much heavier than some flimsy Japanese cars we know of. There is no doubt that the C3 is a handsome looking car which has some radical bits but still doesn't feel overdone and brings a fresh new French vibe in a segment which is TBH downright boring in today's day and age with mundane hatchbacks and compact sedans. I especially like the front end treatment which immediately links it with the new C5 Aircross and the simple double chevron Citroën logo does look elegant and people would definitely give a second look out of curiosity!

Handsome front links it directly to its elder sibling the C5 Aircross
Citroen C3 Review-img_af9a00f12b241.jpeg

In comparison the rear is a lot subtler
Citroen C3 Review-img_983a0e430a951.jpeg

No alloys even on top end model but available as accessory
Citroen C3 Review-img_fb52137d30001.jpeg

The interiors also have a pretty similar story as say the exteriors and just like I mentioned earlier Citroën has clearly tried to lessen as much cost as possible, in no way its flimsily built or hollow feeling if anything it felt sturdy and the plastics though not soft-touch were par for the course and had a feeling of robustness and you can even choose a unique orange theme for the dashboard trim which did have a very youthful and energetic vibe to it.

Now coming to the equipment on offer you do get a large 10.25" touchscreen infotainment system which has become a trend these days and I must say that for the price and positioning of the C3, the head unit is one of the best I've experienced in a car of this price point, its crisp, has a nice resolution and smooth in its operation, also it comes bundled with wireless Apple CarPlay and Android Auto and thats pretty much about the C3 when speaking about the equipment list, those who are tech savvy and want cutting-edge features in their car will be disappointed, for one there is no Auto Climate Control, no Push Button Start, no leather upholstery or ventilation function for the seats, speakers though good aren't branded, also some useful features like Auto Headlamps and wipers too are conspicuous by their absence, also before you ask, no there is no sunroof or rear-air con vents as well but I must add that Citroën has claimed to equip the C3 with tropicalised A/C which promises to perform strongly against the harsh summer heat we battle with every year and TBH I did feel the A/C performing nicely with a strong throw of air even at blower set to level 2.
Citroen C3 Review-img_38b7bed1d02d1.jpeg

A basic instrument binnacle showing digital speed, dual tripmeter, average fuel consumption, range etc but nothing special, it actually reminded me of the Renault Kwid(another French budget offering), brother from another mother, perhaps
Citroen C3 Review-img_3c1988e4a95c1.jpeg

No push button start or passive entry system offered, you still have to go the old fashioned way
Citroen C3 Review-img_b6a68af983151.jpeg

Coming to the powertrain of the Citroën C3, you get the option of two petrol engines only a 1.2L Naturally Aspirated Petrol and a 1.2L Turbocharged Petrol, the former produces 82PS/115Nm while the latter produces 110PS/190Nm paired with 5speed and 6speed Manual Transmission only, sadly there is no Automatic not even AMT as an option yet though there are rumours of a Torque Converter Automatic joining the lineup next financial year, since I was running a bit short of time I could take a small test drive of the 1.2Turbo of about 2kms only that too during the peak traffic hours so my opinions would be limited to this small TD only.

On startup the engine does have that typical 3cylinder thrum but it reduces significantly after warmup and settles down after a while, the gearbox too is smooth and the clutch light enough for making easy shifts which compounded with light steering made it easy to maneuver around the chock-a-block traffic. The engine does have a poke around say maybe 1900rpm or so(there was no tacho in the instrument binnacle!) which helped in covering the gaps quickly, with healthy 190Nm(which is even higher than 1.0TSi in VAGs!) in this light car should offer a sprightly performance and even in the expressway reaching and maintaining those typical expressway speeds wouldn't be much of a bother either. Regarding ride quality I have to say that the ride quality is the best I've experienced in any compact hatchback, it has that nice pliancy and has that cushion effect you want while you take your car over those rumble strips and potholes or cracks and crevices on the streets.

Five speed gearbox offered on 1.2NA
Citroen C3 Review-img_0a1235c2954e1.jpeg

Also, I must add some of the other perks and salient points you get if you put your money on the Citroën C3. For one you get Service on Wheels which means that if your car requires regular service you don't need to visit the service station rather a fully equipped service van would come to your residence and service your Citroën, apart from that you get usual stuff like extended warranty, Road Side Assistance, Service Packages etcetra promising you a hassle free ownership experience.

All in all I must say that Citroën has done a very good job in making the C3, it ticks so many right boxes, yeah there are some weird cost cutting measures like absence of rear wash wipe but many of the other omissions like fog lamps and alloy wheels etc are optional and you can customise your C3 in so many different combinations, paint options, interior trims, seat covers and what not to make your car stand out among the rest. Pricing too is really aggressive starting at 5.73L ex-showroom makes it relatively VFM too, what I really love about C3 like its elder brother the C5 is that it brings a fresh, French flair in a mundane hatchback segment and you can actually own a a car which stands out among the crowd without breaking your bank.
Tony2298 is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 12th September 2022, 00:25   #258
Senior - BHPian

Any reliable news on the Automatic launch? Autocar India says H2 of 2023, but that's too late IMO
jinojohnt is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th September 2022, 19:23   #259
Senior - BHPian

I have registered for a test drive of the C3. The problem is that the nearest dealer is 220 km away, so I am not sure whether I will even get a call.
jinojohnt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2022, 12:44   #260
Senior - BHPian

Citroen needs to strengthen their retail front first. It has been over two months since the C3 has been officially launched and I am yet to see a single registered vehicle running on the road, across the multiple cities of India I keep travelling, in the course of my work.
I also hear supplies of the excellent 1.2L Turbo are negligible and dealers are being discouraged from taking bookings for the Turbo.

With a wafer thin dealer network Citroen needs to exercise caution selling such a technologically advanced product in India. An EV is still a nascent product in India and most users and technicians are inept at handling them. In case of any assistance required and the customer unable to find a nearby physical outlet, Citroen runs the risk of losing some brownie points.
Their network expansion team needs to add sales and service points on a war footing.
You have a good car Citroen. Don't be like Fiat, Nissan (Hover automotive distribution days) and wreck your prospects.
arjab is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2022, 18:02   #261

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjab View Post
I do not know the exact specifications, but to me it felt that for the Turbo at least, Citroen must be using a contra-rotating balancer shaft or a dual-mass flywheel to dampen out inherent "unbalanced" nature of any three cylinder unit. I would say this powertrain is up there in terms of refinement with the now forgotten, but brilliant 1.0 litre EcoBoost from Ford which powered their Ecosport.
The indirect injection 1.2 Turbo petrol of Nexon and the same engine in its naturally aspirated version, which powers the Tiago is agricultural in comparison.
Thank you for the great review. I am a relatively new driver and am in the market for a car in the 10 Lakh budget (OTR Bangalore). I want my car to be SAFE, SPACIOUS and have good PERFORMANCE. My driving would include 70% highway and 30% city. My shortlist includes:
Brezza LXi - Reviews point to a sedated driving experience, so I am not very inclined
Nexon XM (P) - Sounds like the best balance of everything. Even though the engine power figures are high, I hear the performance feels lacky due to the heavy kerb weight. Also I find the design of the rear a bit odd.
Citroen C3 Turbo - Took a test drive and really liked the design and the way it drives. Felt effortless and fun to drive. But I know the C3 belongs to a segment below (not sure if this should matter). Also, I am quite okay to wrap my head around some omissions like manual ORVM adjustment, lack of adjustable headrests, Auto AC etc. And since there are two dealerships/service in Bangalore, I think I am okay with the after sales support.

I am really confused at this point, and since you own a Petrol Nexon, I wanted to know your opinion on this. Which would be the right choice amongst these.

Appreciate your time!
Maverick_1662 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2022, 12:41   #262
Distinguished - BHPian

Citroen C3’s introductory pricing comes to an end.

Quote:
Prices of the hatchback have been upped by up to Rs 17,000 for some trims
Citroen C3 Review-1.jpg

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 3rd October 2022 at 12:43.
volkman10 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2022, 18:42   #263
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick_1662 View Post
Citroen C3 Turbo - Took a test drive and really liked the design and the way it drives.
I am a proud owner of C3 Turbo, I got my car delivered on 8th Sep and I have completed 1000 kms so far. If you are fine with the missing features, it is a best deal for this price. Mechanically the car is perfect as you would have experienced in your test drive. Build quality is good, controls are light and easy to drive in city traffic too. Ride quality and suspension is way above the segment levels. In terms of mileage I get 16-18 on highways and 14+ in city traffic with full time AC on. The service center was approachable and responsive for service related queries.

Negatives are missing features and smaller fuel tank. Turbo supplies are limited, so there can be longer waiting periods. In my case dealer was transparent and delivered the vehicle on promised timelines. Customization has some issues where some of the accessories are still not available and dealers are also not clear on some areas, I had to take delivery without accessories and got everything installed 2 days later.

Prices has been increased but for turbo it is minimal .
Citroen C3 Review-c3.jpg

Last edited by aah78 : 3rd October 2022 at 23:23. Reason: Quote trimmed. Picture inserted in-line. Typos fixed.
skpprabhu is offline   (36) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2022, 19:39   #264
Senior - BHPian

The effective price rise for the turbo from introductory pricing is ~ 37000. 9000 ex-showroom hike + the price of complementary alloys that were offered at the time of launch on the Turbo (~ 28000).

Last edited by dipen : 3rd October 2022 at 19:42.
dipen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2022, 20:54   #265

Quote:
Originally Posted by skpprabhu View Post

Prices has been increased but for turbo it is minimal
Congratulations on your new ride!
Thank you for sharing your thoughts, I feel the same way about the controls and build quality. Yes Turbo price increase is relatively less.
Maverick_1662 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2022, 22:05   #266
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipen View Post
The effective price rise for the turbo from introductory pricing is ~ 37000. 9000 ex-showroom hike + the price of complementary alloys that were offered at the time of launch on the Turbo (~ 28000).
Alloys were not given as complimentary, It was at additional cost only..
Old 4th October 2022, 00:27   #267
Senior - BHPian

It was a very initial online offer through the configurator for turbo model only.
Old 4th October 2022, 19:29   #268
BHPian

In terms of missing features, which feature do you feel should have been included for the price?

When I had a look, I felt the alloys should have been part of the price while the manual adjust ORVMs didn't bother me much.
Old 13th October 2022, 00:26   #269
Senior - BHPian

Assuming that:
1. The automatic variant launched in Brazil would make its way to India.
2. Only the top end Turbo variant will have the auto box (as in Brazil).
3. Additional features such as adjustable headrests in front and back, alloy wheels, electrically adjustable ORVM, rear washer/wiper, reverse camera, 6 speed torque converter box (excluding additional airbags, hill hold assist or climate control AC)

How much of an on-road price to fairly expect for the Turbo Automatic (Assuming that Citroen wants to sell C3 in decent numbers)? Current Turbo (manual) on road price is around 9.5 lakhs in my town.
10 Lakhs OTR would have been a sweet spot, but that looks unlikely if they want to pack in all the additional features.

Last edited by jinojohnt : 13th October 2022 at 00:31.
Old 13th October 2022, 05:33   #270
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinojohnt View Post
Assuming that:
1. The automatic variant launched in Brazil would make its way to India.
2. Only the top end Turbo variant will have the auto box (as in Brazil).
3. Additional features such as adjustable headrests in front and back, alloy wheels, electrically adjustable ORVM, rear washer/wiper, reverse camera, 6 speed torque converter box (excluding additional airbags, hill hold assist or climate control AC)

How much of an on-road price to fairly expect for the Turbo Automatic (Assuming that Citroen wants to sell C3 in decent numbers)? Current Turbo (manual) on road price is around 9.5 lakhs in my town.
10 Lakhs OTR would have been a sweet spot, but that looks unlikely if they want to pack in all the additional features.
Considering that the Feel 1.2 Turbo Vibe Pack Dual Tone currently costs 8.15 lakhs ex-showroom and approximately 9.5 lakhs OTR in Kerala, the Automatic version should ideally cost under 9.45 lakhs ex-showroom if the above upgrades do make it into the Indian version. There is usually a price premium of around 1 lakh in the least for the torque converter gearbox over the manual. So taking the same into consideration an on-road price of around 11 lakhs in Kerala can be expected.
bijims is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks