Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews


Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 14th September 2022, 18:05   #1531
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2021
Location: Dehradun
Posts: 45
Thanked: 157 Times
Re: Mahindra Scorpio-N Review

Took brief test drives of the Scorpio N and XUV700. Both cars felt comfortable and generally good to drive from behind the wheel in urban conditions and over a broken surface.

Sitting in the back however, the Scorpio N just slightly reminded me of my childhood, getting nauseous in the back of a Tata Sierra (fixed windows too, ugh!) lurching through the lower Himalayas. The XUV700 definitely felt more composed and the panoramic sunroof was a delight.

I think for a chauffeur driven car it’s hard to fault the XUV. The needle may go the other way if you drive yourself and have Ladakh dreams. I mean, who doesn’t..
Vikram9193 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th September 2022, 19:33   #1532
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2022
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 4
Thanked: Once
Re: Mahindra Scorpio-N Review

1) Does anyone know about the wheel rim width of Scorpio N Z8L AT 4Xplor?

They have mentioned the wheel size as
Alloy Wheels : 255/60 R18 Alloy with Diamond Cut (AT)
but they dont mention the width of wheel rim.

I'd like to know the width of wheel rim to understand which all tyres can be considered in the range of possibilities for a tyre upgrade.

2) Also, would upgrading the tyre to a wider size or larger size have any implicaitons on warranty, kindly share if anyone knows?
CarSupremo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2022, 19:47   #1533
BHPian
 
rahulya007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Thane, Mumbai
Posts: 295
Thanked: 328 Times
Re: Mahindra Scorpio-N Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarSupremo View Post
1) Does anyone know about the wheel rim width of Scorpio N Z8L AT 4Xplor?

They have mentioned the wheel size as
Alloy Wheels : 255/60 R18 Alloy with Diamond Cut (AT)
but they dont mention the width of wheel rim.

I'd like to know the width of wheel rim to understand which all tyres can be considered in the range of possibilities for a tyre upgrade.

2) Also, would upgrading the tire to a wider size or larger size have any implicaitons on warranty, kindly share if anyone knows?
Wheel width is sufficient to support 255 section tires which is 255mm in width. For upsizing you can go 1 size up - 265/60 R18 or down to 245/65 R18 which is 1.5% variance which is lesser than 3% which is the max once should go.

Higher contact patch (265) will increase rolling resistance, reduce mileage, weighted steering, affect cornering and may affect warranty if anything related to axle or suspension or steering column comes up.
rahulya007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2022, 23:38   #1534
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2021
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 45
Thanked: 157 Times
Re: Mahindra Scorpio-N Review

Guys, one question: ScorpioN standard warranty period 2 years or 3 years? Extended warranty is for 2 years only, correct?
Arinmech is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2022, 09:34   #1535
BHPian
 
rahulya007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Thane, Mumbai
Posts: 295
Thanked: 328 Times
Re: Mahindra Scorpio-N Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arinmech View Post
Guys, one question: ScorpioN standard warranty period 2 years or 3 years? Extended warranty is for 2 years only, correct?
My xylo is of 2012 and since then the standard warranty is 3 yrs and extended was 1 yr which they have increased to 2 yrs from xuv500 days.

If XUV700 has 3 year standard warranty, N will also have similar one. And 2 yr extended warranty.
rahulya007 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th September 2022, 15:08   #1536
BHPian
 
chipsnchops's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 87
Thanked: 194 Times
Re: Mahindra Scorpio-N Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodeoz View Post
Got a call from Mahindra Finance offering a 6.99% interest rate on car loan. Is there a catch? Anyone has prior experience with Mahindra Finance? Banks seem to offering a higher interest rate.
I also got this call from Mahindra Finance and I checked with all other banks. No one else is giving at such a low rate of interest. However, I spoke with my wealth manager at ICICI Bank and she just said that there could be issues that I may face later on as "other" finance companies are not very transparent about a lot of things. She obviously didn't say anything about Mahindra finance specifically.

So I did some google search and saw that the list of complaints against Mahindra Finance is pretty big. Not releasing the vehicle after full repayment, charging extra along the way, pathetic customer care, etc.

Based on all this, decided to go with my bank. It may be expensive by 10K or so overall, but at least, I know I can walk into my branch and demand to see the manager and sort out issues (if at all)
chipsnchops is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2022, 16:30   #1537
BHPian
 
chipsnchops's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 87
Thanked: 194 Times
Re: Mahindra Scorpio-N Review

I have a query about the Accessories list. Does it make sense to go with accessories from Mahindra itself? I think most of it would be available in the market just a few weeks from now, if not already. Some of the accessories seem to be quite expensive.

I got the revised list of accessories today from the dealer. Not able to decide what all to go in for. Will surely go for anti-theft alloy wheel nut, bumper add on, rear bumper protector, and mudflaps. Not sure if rain visor would ruin the look. Same goes for Chrome add on. If I can choose just some of it, then it might make sense. Too much chrome may also ruin the rugged look of Scorpio N.[ATTACH=Scorpio - N_Accessories_Catalogue_Rev - 1.3.pdf]2358506[/ATTACH]
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Scorpio - N_Accessories_Catalogue_Rev - 1.3.pdf (12.81 MB, 304 views)
chipsnchops is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th September 2022, 17:39   #1538
BHPian
 
rahulya007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Thane, Mumbai
Posts: 295
Thanked: 328 Times
Re: Mahindra Scorpio-N Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipsnchops View Post
I also got this call from Mahindra Finance and I checked with all other banks. No one else is giving at such a low rate of interest. However, I spoke with my wealth manager at ICICI Bank and she just said that there could be issues that I may face later on as "other" finance companies are not very transparent about a lot of things. She obviously didn't say anything about Mahindra finance specifically.

So I did some google search and saw that the list of complaints against Mahindra Finance is pretty big. Not releasing the vehicle after full repayment, charging extra along the way, pathetic customer care, etc.

Based on all this, decided to go with my bank. It may be expensive by 10K or so overall, but at least, I know I can walk into my branch and demand to see the manager and sort out issues (if at all)
That 6.99% is only when your CIBIL Score is 780 and above. I spoke to one person who told me it has to be 830 and above. So no clarity there.

Another thing is there is pre payment charge within 1 year but no charges after 1 year but there is no part payment facility. You cannot pay some additional principal amount in case you have some extra funds etc. You have to either close the loan completely or keep paying as EMI's.

Typically, these NBFC's are for those who do not have a proper income documents, ITR's etc. Otherwise banks loans are any time beneficial even if they are 1-1.5% higher than 6.99%. Over the period you'll be benefitted.

Another thing i read was if you opt for Mahindra finance, you have to take insurance from the dealer only. We have already seen the premium quoted are higher than what the same company would offer you from outside. So you loose 30-50K there as well and then again be at the mercy of the Finance company or the dealer.

if you have a home loan, and have good repayment history, go for a top-up loan. The rate will be slightly higher but you'll get facility to do part payment without any extra charge, there will be no Hypothecation on the vehicle so you save around 3k-4K there as well.
rahulya007 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th September 2022, 19:02   #1539
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 143
Thanked: 174 Times
Re: Mahindra Scorpio-N Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulya007 View Post
That 6.99% is only when your CIBIL Score is 780 and above. I spoke to one person who told me it has to be 830 and above. So no clarity there.

Another thing i read was if you opt for Mahindra finance, you have to take insurance from the dealer only. We have already seen the premium quoted are higher than what the same company would offer you from outside. So you loose 30-50K there as well and then again be at the mercy of the Finance company or the dealer.

if you have a home loan, and have good repayment history, go for a top-up loan. The rate will be slightly higher but you'll get facility to do part payment without any extra charge, there will be no Hypothecation on the vehicle so you save around 3k-4K there as well.
I have opted for Mahindra finance and so some inputs

> They need 780 score and even they are going by ITR, salary slips
> There is no push from dealer to take in-house insurance. I am taking HDFC Ergo
> I found the processing charges to be reasonable at 3K
> They don’t have clarity on the offer period but they believe ROI will increase from Jan’23 for new applications
> Apart from no pre payment facility, they count the loan term in years and not months. So they accept the tenure period only in multiples of 12

My RMs in both HDFC and ICICI couldn’t believe the Mahindra Finance’s ROI and even suggested to go for it eyes closed. The best I got from them was 7.9% (HDFC).

I also checked top-up loan from HDFC and this would be floating rate. With repo rates on the rise, it might not be a good decision to take this route.

I guess the group company (Mahindra Finance) wanted to leverage the huge success of vehicles and increase their loan book. I am keeping my fingers crossed for next few years.

Last edited by atluri_rkc : 15th September 2022 at 19:16.
atluri_rkc is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th September 2022, 19:26   #1540
BHPian
 
rahulya007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Thane, Mumbai
Posts: 295
Thanked: 328 Times
Re: Mahindra Scorpio-N Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by atluri_rkc View Post
I have opted for Mahindra finance and so some inputs

> They need 780 score and even they are going by ITR, salary slips
> There is no push from dealer to take in-house insurance. I am taking HDFC Ergo
> I found the processing charges to be reasonable at 3K
> They don’t have clarity on the offer period but they believe ROI will increase from Jan’23 for new applications
> Apart from no pre payment facility, they count the loan term in years and not months. So they accept the tenure period only in multiples of 12
I know they take ITR and Salary slips but they also provide loans to those who cannot provide a salary slip in which case the ROI is high. One of my relative works with Mahindra Finance who told me this.
Someone from the FB group said he is taking loan from M-Fin hence he is being asked to take insurance from the inhouse insurance agent only.

Last edited by rahulya007 : 15th September 2022 at 19:27. Reason: added text
rahulya007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2022, 09:03   #1541
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Pune
Posts: 162
Thanked: 202 Times
Re: Mahindra Scorpio-N Review

I just took a test drive of the mahindra scorpio N diesel auto variant as petrol manual was not available for test drive at the dealer.

The power and pickup was as expected very responsive and quick. There was a fair amount of body roll. However the fit and finish of the car was poor for the prices Mahindra is charging for this car. This was the Z8 top end model.

The upper corners of the tailgate openings had very roughly finished welding, which hadn't even been smoothed by machinery or grinding discs, like it was done by some roadside fabrication workshop. The sales person said that this is robotic finish. The plastics used in the cabin felt cheap and didn't look like they'll remain in good condition for long.

Shockingly the display cars, a Thar top model and scorpio N top model, had these bubbled spots in the body paint on the bonnet, not that many as on my compass, but sufficient enough to reject delivery.

The sales person said this was 'normal' due to Indian weather conditions.

Overall i found the fit and finish of the vehicle very poor for the prices they are charging.

Last edited by argchoff : 16th September 2022 at 09:19. Reason: spelling correction
argchoff is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th September 2022, 11:04   #1542
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2021
Location: Pune
Posts: 178
Thanked: 380 Times
Re: Mahindra Scorpio-N Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulya007 View Post
I know they take ITR and Salary slips but they also provide loans to those who cannot provide a salary slip in which case the ROI is high. One of my relative works with Mahindra Finance who told me this.
Someone from the FB group said he is taking loan from M-Fin hence he is being asked to take insurance from the inhouse insurance agent only.
How are you so sure that other banks don't do the same? I was at the dealer this wednesday to discuss the insurance final quote and my SA closed one loan from the so called banks for a fleet owner. Later he told me that this guy was totally busted earlier and has started a new firm. Everyone knows but he gets the loan as he knows the right people.

Regarding Mahindra finance, unfortunately everyone here is providing second hand experiences based on hearsay. All my car loans have been with Mahindra finance and I have got top notch service with no surprises at all, so far. They have always told me the ROI, number of EMI, option of paying advanced EMI (or not), fore closure charges without fail in all my transactions. Moreover, entire transaction was done at my home. Their area sales manager has always picked up my call even after loan is approved and sorted any issues or question I had during the servicing of the loan.

I think I have a much better leverage on Mahindra folks as their senior management are accessible and responsive on social media.

Just as a side note, please remember that the SBI gave loan of more than few hundred crores to now defunct king fisher airlines with only their logo as collateral!!

Last edited by alokk0912 : 16th September 2022 at 11:07.
alokk0912 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th September 2022, 11:11   #1543
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 172
Thanked: 319 Times
Re: Mahindra Scorpio-N Review

I got a call today from dealer in Kolkata saying my 4WD Z8L is billed by them. Initially it was supposed to be end October as per my checking of status.

Is it because of high cancellations?

I am also a little worried that Mahindra is yet to release the GNCAP rating which they generally do quite promptly when the performance is good.
Sidban85 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2022, 11:43   #1544
BHPian
 
anantpoddar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Kolkata/Gurgaon
Posts: 121
Thanked: 204 Times
Re: Mahindra Scorpio-N Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidban85 View Post
I got a call today from dealer in Kolkata saying my 4WD Z8L is billed by them. Initially it was supposed to be end October as per my checking of status.

Is it because of high cancellations?

I am also a little worried that Mahindra is yet to release the GNCAP rating which they generally do quite promptly when the performance is good.
Which dealer and outlet is this?
I have a tentative delivery date of 2nd Nov - 2nd Dec for my Z8L AT 4WD and I'm still unsure whether to proceed with this or not.
I have another booking (without price protection) in Apr 23 and I'm more inclined towards it.

I doubt your early delivery is because of cancellations this soon. Auto manufacturers nowadays typically build up an inventory of 1-2 months during a new launch before starting deliveries. Anyway looking at the delivery timelines, we can infer that Mahindra has opted to under-promise and over-deliver.

Looking at Mahindra's past trends, I am hoping that this should easily score at least 4 stars with a stable structure. It will be a huge dent in their aspirations if it fails to do that.

By the way, has anyone tested the LED headlights of the ScorpioN? I am apprehensive how it will perform in the city with street lights and on the highway with incoming glare of truck lights. Any inputs on this will be helpful.
Why Mahindra couldn't provide a setup similar to XUV700 on the ScorpioN is beyond my understanding. All this talk of the ScorpioN being a different/lower segment doesn't hold up when you end up paying the same bucks for much less kit.
anantpoddar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2022, 11:53   #1545
Senior - BHPian
 
Sommos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Bhilai, CG.
Posts: 1,189
Thanked: 1,246 Times
Re: Mahindra Scorpio-N Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by atluri_rkc View Post
I have opted for Mahindra finance and so some inputs.

I also checked top-up loan from HDFC and this would be floating rate. With repo rates on the rise, it might not be a good decision to take this route.

I guess the group company (Mahindra Finance) wanted to leverage the huge success of vehicles and increase their loan book. I am keeping my fingers crossed for next few years.
Check the method of interest calculation before finalising.

SBI used to provide car loans at fixed rate in July this year.
Sommos is offline   (2) Thanks
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright 2000 - 2023, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks