dr_TJ is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 10th September 2022, 17:49   #1502
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Scorpio-N Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhruv45in View Post
Just saw a video of Z2 variant shared on Youtube. This could be useful

https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=47TdJmLbPTw
Thanks, since it doesn't have the touchscreen Music system & going by the blank key, this seems like it may be a pre-production car. However it's useful to understand how the other stuff would look, like say the monochrome instrument cluster.

IMHO, Mahindra gave too much weightage to the "add-to-cart" info. They should have rather allowed people/media to see the lower variants (atleast in reviews), during the 15 day window where they could change the variant choice.

That said, Mahindra has been very fair, professional & responsible with rest of the booking process (something which is not seen nowadays in the closed oligopolistic Indian car market where consumers are fairly vulnerable to being made captive scapegoats), and Mahindra must be appreciated.
WorkingGuru is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th September 2022, 18:49   #1503
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhruv45in View Post
Just saw a video of Z2 variant shared on Youtube. This could be useful
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_TJ View Post
Another Z2 variant video
Good to see the Z2 variant. Glad that the 2nd row has the armrest intact. But the ORVMs... Even if it had internally manual adjustable ORVMs, would be fine. But still have to adjust the mirror by touching the mirror surface in 2022.

But the armrest storage? in the higher variants, atleast the Z8, it has an useless shallow storage. But the Z2 has a deep one, though weirdly shaped. Thought the Z8 had a shallow tray cause the engineers forgot to factor in the the rear A/C vents piping. But the Z2 does have the rear A/C vent!!! Rest assured, even if it is not advertised as cooled, stuff kept in the storage of the Z2 will be cooled by the cool air flowing below.

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-screenshot_20220910185034.png

Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-screenshot_20220910185133.png

Quote:
Z4 onwards the rear AC vents get a blower underneath the front armrest and also blower controller below the rear AC vents. Thats why the shallow front armrest storage.
The front armrest felt perfectly placed to me.
It is just a blower controller right? No temperature control? Or does the higher variants have a rear A/c vent compressor?

Last edited by DicKy : 10th September 2022 at 19:06. Reason: Adding pictures.
DicKy is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 10th September 2022, 18:57   #1504
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
Good to see the Z2 variant. Glad that the 2nd row has the armrest intact. But the ORVMs... Even if it had internally manual adjustable ORVMs, would be fine. But still have to adjust the mirror by touching the mirror surface in 2022.

But the armrest storage? in the higher variants, atleast the Z8, it has an useless shallow storage. But the Z2 has a deep one, though weirdly shaped. Thought the Z8 had a shallow tray cause the engineers forgot to factor in the the rear A/C vents piping. But the Z2 does have the rear A/C vent!!! Rest assured, even if it is not advertised as cooled, stuff kept in the storage of the Z2 will be cooled by the cool air flowing below.
Z4 onwards the rear AC vents get a blower underneath the front armrest and also blower controller below the rear AC vents. Thats why the shallow front armrest storage.
The front armrest felt perfectly placed to me.

But the mirrors should get internally and manually adjustable facility. Hope final production spec Z2 gets that. Also Z4 and Z6 variants doesn't get electrically foldable ORVMs. Thats a big bummer for such a wide vehicle. Will surely look for installation of electrically foldable ORVMs on my Z4 D AT.

Quote:
It is just a blower controller right? No temperature control? Or does the higher variants have a rear A/c vent compressor?
Its just a blower I think. Don't have much information if it has any cooling coils or not. Also No temperature control at the rear.

Last edited by dr_TJ : 10th September 2022 at 19:23.
dr_TJ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2022, 20:09   #1505
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorkingGuru View Post
There are no reviews showing the variants below Z8.

If someone
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteeringWheel View Post
I'm also waiting to see lower variants, specially the Z4
Looks like Mahindra started showcasing the lower variants too. Just saw a video of Z2 on YT.

Old 10th September 2022, 20:51   #1506
BHPian

My wife insists that the Scorpio N variant booked (Z4 Auto) should not have less features or interior look than our Swift VXI!

So, it doesn't have:
- Chrome coated/ Aluminium finish door lock lever (this black grainy plastic lever looks ugly and feels bad to touch.
- No ORVM Electric folding (This was known before booking). This is going to be the biggest trouble in narrow roads in mountains.
- No dash mounted retractable cup-holder (this is a cool feature in Swift. This was known before booking).
- Hard plastic brown coloured dash on the left side in front of co-passenger's seat. Neither Swift has any such soft touch. But after the TDs in Scorpio N we wished to have it in lower variants.
- No chrome lines on the touch points of AC vents. Such components with thin chrome lines look awesome in Swift.
- Seat fabrics: couldn't understand the quality or look from these videos. Hence no comments on this. Hope it is at par with my existing car.

What I wished to have, but not there in this Z2 of Scorpio N:
- Same cabin lighting with switch set-up we experienced in Z8L TD vehicles. Z2 cabin lights are too basic.
- No sunglass storage ( I wished to have this in my next purchase).

Like I anticipated, if the base variants miss out on features or feel good factors in the interior; this big interior space of Scorpio N will look like an ugly cave.

How to spice up the interior space with accessories/ faux leather layer in dash/ door touch points etc. without damaging the functionality of the airbags? Any suggestions?

Exterior look is not bad with this Golden body colour, except the black door handles. Mahindra and Mahindra should have provided black coloured plastic bumpers to the lower variants to save some more money.

One sober looking wheel cover will solve the steel rim look. And Alloy wheels are available for 50k-65k (3rd party Alloy wheels or OEM accessories).

Oh, it has a front 12 VDC socket. This is really good.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-screenshot_20220910210921.png  

Last edited by RijuC : 10th September 2022 at 21:10.
RijuC is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th September 2022, 21:01   #1507
BHPian

Today received on road quotation for my Z8L AT 4WD.

SA didn't mention quote of extended warranty and Road side assistance cost as Mahindra has not yet finalised the same yet (as conveyed by him). Hence 35-40k extra for these two and also 1% tcs (I think he missed it). Overall 26 lakhs approx on road. I'm trying to negotiate further the insurance cost as I have a quote of 75k from Royal Sundaram.

I'm going for BH registration.

They are offering the same model in Deep forest colour during this month itself for delivery but I've not yet finalised as my choice is Black. Feeling lucky as a non price protected customer.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Scorpio-N Review-screenshot_20220910205300_adobe-acrobat.jpg  

Last edited by Arinmech : 10th September 2022 at 21:20.
Arinmech is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th September 2022, 21:03   #1508
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Z4 onwards the rear AC vents get a blower underneath the front armrest and also blower controller below the rear AC vents. Thats why the shallow front armrest storage....Its just a blower I think. Don't have much information if it has any cooling coils or not. Also No temperature control at the rear.
Sorry for the back to back posts. Lost the edit time window.

The Z2 does have the rear a/c vents, sans the blower controls. That's where my question is regarding the armrest storage space.

Name:  Screenshot_20220910205559_1.png
Views: 1743
Size:  321.2 KB
DicKy is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2022, 21:11   #1509
BHPian

Honestly, I have never found the need to fold ORVMs while driving. If at all this was needed due to a narrow stretch, it was always the driver's side one. So I am not too worried about the lack of it for the Z4. Although these can be fitted aftermarket.

I think I will go for some chrome elements on the outside (the sting on the windows) and alloy wheels plus rear camera. Want to go for the OEM fog lamps too but they are not yet listed on M2all.
rodeoz is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th September 2022, 21:25   #1510
BHPian

Quote:
Sorry for the back to back posts. Lost the edit time window.

The Z2 does have the rear a/c vents, sans the blower controls. That's where my question is regarding the armrest storage space.

Attachment 2357152
Yes, thats what I meant, Just the AC vents with no blower on Z2 variant. And Z4 onwards AC vents with blower underneath the armrest
dr_TJ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2022, 22:38   #1511
BHPian

Observations from the Z2 variant walkaround.

Even though hard plastic instead of soft touch/leather, the internal colors match the higher variants which is a good thing. We can probably add the other missing touches like chrome around audio system, silver colored door handles etc.

I like the seats and the fabric looks tough. Not sure if the rear seat recline is present.

Biggest miss is the grab handles on A Pillar. During my visit to the showroom, I've tried getting in to the drivers seat using the grab handle and also without using the grab handle. The grab handle is a must for Scorpio N, even for Z2. Hope they are included int eh Z4 atleast. Hopefully the internal structure where the grab handle fits is still there as body might be common. If the internals are, then we may be able to add a grab handle later when original parts are available.

Engine guard is present.

Footrest is missing, expected the footrest and grab handles to be standard.

Brochure mentions Z2 also has a touch screen infotainment which is missing in this. Hopefully the feature is not removed and will be available in the production version. Same with the steering mounted audio controls.

Spoiler(or absense of it) on the Z2 I think looks better as it merges better with the tail lights on the top.

Overall even the basic model looks good with simple customization. I really hope the Z4 gets grab handles, rest of the things can be managed.
SteeringWheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2022, 23:19   #1512
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodeoz View Post
Honestly, I have never found the need to fold ORVMs while driving. If at all this was needed due to a narrow stretch, it was always the driver's side one. So I am not too worried about the lack of it for the Z4. Although these can be fitted aftermarket.

I think I will go for some chrome elements on the outside (the sting on the windows) and alloy wheels plus rear camera. Want to go for the OEM fog lamps too but they are not yet listed on M2all.
I face this requirement of closing the ORVM on short notice multiple times in my Swift (a smaller car). Hence I assume the ORVM folding requirement will be more for this bigger SUV. And those road sections/ streches are usually dusty. The big size window will take some time to go down, then I shut the ORVM. Then I close the window and again open it after crossing the oncoming trucks/ big SUV, to open the ORVM and again close the window. These allow lot of dust entry inside the cabin.

What I am trying to say is imagining this sequence of operation and doing it actually multiple times while tackling oncoming traffic are different! These are practical things we would face everytime. When much cheaper, older and inferior tin cans of lower variants could have such a simple powered operation of ORVM, why this 17-19 lakhs OTR Scorpio N can't have it in 2022? Check RavenAvi's posts for this powered ORVM open/ shut operation retrofit in his XUV700 AX5. The couplers of electrical harness are different and breakthrough is yet to be achieved (I am sure he will get it resolved soon).

The front grill and bonnet lip are not looking bad, due to use of shining Black finish. However window line and the quarter glass edge are looking too plain. Addition of OEM Chrome accessories would look good for these areas. However, these are costlier than the other chrome essential kit.

Please let us know a good solution for the fog lamp accessory.

Last edited by RijuC : 10th September 2022 at 23:21.
Old 11th September 2022, 07:17   #1513
BANNED

TeamBHP-ians, should one be worried about the rust issues Mahindra Thars and XUV500s have been complaining about for the ScorpioN?

Asking this because I heard ScorpioN has more high strength steel - "While the new Scorpio-N is lighter, the overall body is stronger due to the use of 41 per cent high-strength steel, the highest among all the SUVs in its category. Even the frame below uses 81 per cent high-strength steel."

Or are these rust issues one off due to climatic conditions, poor maintenance or just some odd batch of bad steel? I have not got a thread of rusting for XUV700 (need to search more).

There are many threads on the rust issues for M&M vehicles on Team BHP:

https://www.team-bhp.com/news/rust-d...common-problem
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...-rusted-2.html (My Mahindra XUV500's doors are badly rusted)
https://www.team-bhp.com/news/rust-3...00-logo-badges
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...ndra-thar.html (Severe rusting issues in my Mahindra Thar)
LearnerForLife is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2022, 09:19   #1514
BHPian

To answer a few common questions,

1. The new thar and scorpio eclipse the outgoing models despite the rising cost of materials (BOM) and inflation.
2. The link of the thar rusting is that of the old Thar. I had it too - they didn't have the painting and assembly lines that they do now. The entire chassis is now dipped into paint. Sadly when my 2022 Thar's AC was changed, I noticed that the indoor dashboard beam was slightly rusted. Superficially so. But I expected better. Maybe I expected too much.
3. Spares aren't a big fuss with the new Thar. They're not Maruti level available in 5 days max, Stat. However, as a former Swift owner, and having owned a 2015 CRDe Thar, things have improved substantially, to the extent of additional xuv 700 and scorpio N bookings made with them thus.
4. There are extra spray pain protection solutions for those living in snowed out areas that are salted often and those who live seaside.
5. OVRM retrofits will come from groups like RD in no time. Even those vehicles that don't get slots for them (Thar 2020) have aftermarket solutions. However, without interior controls, I won't.

Last edited by wooka : 11th September 2022 at 09:20. Reason: Typos
wooka is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2022, 09:22   #1515
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arinmech View Post
Today received on road quotation for my Z8L AT 4WD.

SA didn't mention quote of extended warranty and Road side assistance cost as Mahindra has not yet finalised the same yet (as conveyed by him). Hence 35-40k extra for these two and also 1% tcs (I think he missed it). Overall 26 lakhs approx on road. I'm trying to negotiate further the insurance cost as I have a quote of 75k from Royal Sundaram.

I'm going for BH registration.

They are offering the same model in Deep forest colour during this month itself for delivery but I've not yet finalised as my choice is Black. Feeling lucky as a non price protected customer.
Are these increased prices? It seems MnM had silently increased prices by around 25k for top end.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks