Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th March 2024, 12:32   #2821

Re: Toyota Innova Hycross Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post
The algorithm for DTE calculation is not straight forward and varies from manufacturer to manufacturer. Lot of factors are in play here including manufacturer not wanting to take liability if the customer is stranded on the road after trusting the DTE. You might want to check this discussion on DTE (Distance to Empty (DTE): How exactly is it calculated?).
Amalji, I had seen that post but it seems the DTE shows incorrectly despite last trip and last tank average being more than 18/19 kmpl. Also, can other Hycross hybrid users please share their experience of DTE - what does their vehicles show after refuel and at what fuel level the low fuel lamp glows? Thanks.
Old 16th March 2024, 13:34   #2822
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manveet84 View Post
Amalji, I had seen that post but it seems the DTE shows incorrectly despite last trip and last tank average being more than 18/19 kmpl. Also, can other Hycross hybrid users please share their experience of DTE - what does their vehicles show after refuel and at what fuel level the low fuel lamp glows? Thanks.
That thread doesn't suggest that DTE is dependent on last trip mileage or last tank average. It says each manufacturer has its own logic which is not made transparent for the customer.
Old 16th March 2024, 18:01   #2823
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manveet84 View Post
My ZX(O) resets range to 755 km upon tank full up to auto cut-off. I have never let it go to low fuel level. Will refuel when the range is 150-200km. Actual mileage based on tank full to tank full is always higher than the mileage displayed in the car.
Old 17th March 2024, 22:24   #2824
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cresterk View Post

Anyway, I was lead to a white Crysta Z automatic. It was 2 years old and had run 35k kms. It was in surprisingly good condition and was neat and clean. I was also offered a base model Hycross petrol which was one of their test drive cars.
I thought about it, and I chose the Crysta since I figured it would be interesting to see what the cult favourite would be like after getting accustomed to my Hycross ZX(O).

I had written a lot about how the Crysta was but this post is getting too long so I deleted it. It took a few days longer than expected to get the parts so I ended up driving the Crysta for a whole week. It was a very interesting experience and I will share it if people are interested.

Had a few people ask about it and I finally got some free time so I thought I would finish this write-up. It might be a bit controversial so I just ask that you read it completely before you crucify me

The loaner car that the dealership offered to me was a 2 year old Crysta 2.4 Z automatic with about 35k kms on the odo.

I sign the necessary forms and leave with the key to the Crysta. I start it up and the diesel engine comes to life with the customary clatter I thought we had left behind in 2010. I slowly pull the gear lever from Park to Reverse to Neutral and finally to Drive and the car jerks backwards and forward with each slot despite me holding the brake pedal. I grasp the steering and give myself an entire arm workout just making it out of the showroom grounds.

So far I wasn't pleased. Both my dad and I felt like we had gone back in time to an old Tempo truck.

I managed to pair my phone to the car at a signal and the speakers were weak and tinny at best. I took back every bad word I said about the Hycross' 9 speaker JBL. I found something interesting though, you could see and control the songs and audio sources from the MID screen. That's a feature the Hycross lacked.

I make my way through the busy Thrissur traffic and realised I really miss the auto-hold function. I never realised how much I relied on it until it was gone. This was made worse since the crysta required you to hold the brakes firmly in Drive or it would keep trying to creep forward.

The crysta rode on 17 inchers over the 18 inch wheels of the Hycross. However, there was the usual body on frame lumpiness and I noticed movement even on small road irregularities. The steering wheel too bounced around in my hand, making me cautious and go slower than I liked.

Once I got to the highway, I figured I would see what the 2.4L turbo diesel could do. I slam the pedal down.
Nothing happens.
One...
Two...
ThrEEEEEEEEEEEHHAAAAAWWWWW

The engine takes a while to rev up and the 6 speed torque converter takes it own sweet time to downshift but after it does, a wall of torque pushes you back in your seat when the boost kicks in. I can see why this is addictive.

It effortlessly zoomed up to 100. I didn't go beyond it since I wasn't familiar with the car. You do feel the gear changes though.

It didn't have a fast-tag so I ended up having to go through a broken down detour to bypass the toll. This is where the crysta shined. You can go through potholes and whatnot without too much concern. The only limiting condition is how much your back hurts from being jerked around.

I ended up taking the longer, nicer way home since the shorter way had a whole bunch of tight turns that I didn't want to deal with since the steering was just way too heavy.

Overall, I managed to average around 10.4kmpl on the way home (I reset the average right after leaving the showroom). The Hycross managed 17.8kmpl on the same stretch while driving much faster. This could be attributed to my unfamiliarity with the car.

The Hycross has 4 parking sensors in the back and 4 proper ones in the front too. The crysta has 4 in the back but only 2 in the front. When parking you can feel this cost cutting since it sometimes won't detect peculiar objects. For example, I have a swing in my garage and the crysta just wouldn't detect it no matter how close I got.

Toyota Innova Hycross Review-4adc10e02d574f90b1fc0aef7f8686a4.jpg
Toyota Innova Hycross Review-9ce44a4fa24043f38a2ee5b096d022e2.jpg

There is no sunroof but the ambient lighting strip on the roof looks better than the one on the Hycross since the lighting element is not directly visible.

Toyota Innova Hycross Review-9cfcb160d0c843a399c80e7785183ebd.jpg
The middle seats are okay but my legs are resting up more than I like due to the raised floor of a BOF vehicle.

Toyota Innova Hycross Review-c9ee9e3951cb49849884750b6503c5bd.jpg

The 3rd row seats of the Crysta are congested and best suited for children. They are still way better than the 3rd row of competing vehicles such the XUV700, Safari and especially the Scorpio-N.

Toyota Innova Hycross Review-e53cbc2810374a8c97f6c86b98c233f9.jpg

The Crysta gets these picnic tables on the back of the front seats which are useful. The Hycross doesnt get them for some reason.

The Crysta doesn't get GPS or navigation. The Hycross has GPS but no inbuilt navigation. You need to use carplay or android auto for maps and the car's GPS antenna will be used instead of the phone's.

Coming to ride quality, the Hycross is more comfortable but:

With the Hycross, you slow down over broken roads because you are worried about the car.
With the Crysta you slow down over broken roads because you are worried about your spine. The car itself feels like it could take a lot more abuse than the Hycross despite the harsher ride quality.

Over the week, I got more familiar with the car and got used to the steering. My muscles and nerves adjusted and it no longer felt heavy and I was driving it through tight nooks and crannies without much effort. It's just familiarity. I was used to the light steering of the Hycross so the Crysta's steering felt heavy. When I got the Hycross back, I felt the steering was too light. After a few days, it went back to feeling normal. I feel like most opinions after a short test drive aren't accurate since you are just comparing it what you are most used to. I think if someone went from an old ambassador without power steering to a Crysta, they might also feel the steering is too light. You need to give it a few days to get used to it.

By the end of the week, when I was taking the car back, I managed to average almost 12kmpl. It might not seem much but that is an improvement of 20%. I tried the S6 trick that people were recommending in the Crysta thread along with using the cruise control when possible to ensure a steady speed and torque converter lock-up.
Any kind of incline or overtaking maneuver immediately drops the mileage. The people claiming extraordinary mileage figures on the crysta are probably extraordinarily patient and drive with a very very light foot on an empty highway. If these people try driving the hycross in the same manner, I think they will easily get 30kmpl

Handling wise, there is no contest. The Hycross can take turns way faster and the steering response is better too, letting you change directions on a dime. FWD or not, it might as well be a sports car compared to the Crysta.

The pedal response of the Hycross is way better, letting you instantly zoom away at a thought. The crysta takes a while but once it gets going it sounds better. You need to plan your overtakes a bit by pressing the accelerator in advance.
I had test driven the Crysta before buying the Hycross but I had never taken it to the highway. The Hycross accelerates much faster overall but the Crysta feels more fun. The rise and fall of RPMs and shifting gears sounds better than the constant droning noise of the Hycross if you floor it. I find that letting go of the accelerator a bit helps by simulating an upshift.

Overall, I was actually a bit sad to see the Crysta go. It was definitely a different kind of fun and I understand why the owners are so attached to it. The turbo diesel is a delight and it tempts you into going faster, fuel efficiency be damned.
Attached Thumbnails
Toyota Innova Hycross Review-a9a207a581b24a8a84bff8b120d0097c.jpg  

Toyota Innova Hycross Review-c68c0edf7893414781d04db6b45424f9.jpg  

Last edited by Cresterk : 17th March 2024 at 22:27.
Cresterk is offline   (51) Thanks
Old 18th March 2024, 07:50   #2825
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaviprem View Post
I havent decided 100% whether to go for Petrol or Hybrid
Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post
Petrol might be a better option.
After going through pros and cons and filtering, happy to announce that i have decided on Petrol Innova Hycross. Have made a booking on Saturday. My running is just 6000-7500 kms/year. Would have booked hybrid if price difference was say 2 lakhs. But it's nearly 7 lakhs (GX costs 24.7 lakhs while VX Hybrid is 32.9 lakhs). Yes, there is difference in equipment but Toyota is launching GX(O) which has all features available in VX sans the 17" alloys and Cruise Control. Have requested dealer to inform me when the stocks arrive.

GX(O) is expected to arrive in 1st week of April. Have choosen 7 Seater, and i am flexible with color options. I am ready to buy whichever color that they get. Dealer thanked me for showing such flexibility.

Apart from Low End Torque and Low Fuel Efficiency, cannot see any cons. This car will be mainly used on Highways, for city drives, have a Tiago EV. I expect Hycross Petrol to deliver 13 kmpl on highways.

Waiting for April 1st Week
CarguyNish is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 18th March 2024, 11:27   #2826
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarguyNish View Post
After going through pros and cons and filtering, happy to announce that i have decided on Petrol Innova Hycross.
Waiting for April 1st Week
Congratulations CarguyNish.
I will do about 15-20K Kms annually, most of which would be highway Kms.
As per my dealership, GX(O) should be launched in May with feature list and pricing while the car will be out for delivery around August.
Official Booking for GX(O) is expected to be open around late April to May only.

In the last couple of days, a decision towards VX is on its way.
kaviprem is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th March 2024, 12:10   #2827
Senior - BHPian

Hey @Cresterk

your observations about the 2.4L automatic Diesel of the Crysta are bang on as I observed. The car would let know everytime the gears would change & it rocked & rolled much more than I could like. But the seats were comfortable & the boot was much bogger than Safari & XUV700. Even the mileage numbers are bang on with my expectations & comparison with the 11-13KMPL that I get on Safari automatic.

I'm yet to test drive the Hycross, also because the I'm not in market for new big car sooner. But with the hybrids in for long haul, I believe Toyota definitely has an edge in Hycross & similar products. Hope they introduce the RAV4 with Tucson range pricing.
CARDEEP is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th March 2024, 19:10   #2828
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladiatort1000 View Post
My HyCross VX 8S was purchased at Ravindu Toyota, Rajaji Nagar, Bangalore on 1st Feb 2023.

My car completed 20K within 1 year. Hence I got 2 services done at Ravindu. Below are the details of things done and cost of each service. FYI, my car has extended 5Yr warranty ( Looks like it does not cover service charges and stuff like oil change etc). The car was dropped in morning by 9AM by my driver and picked up on same day evening by my driver. Appointment was taken couple of days before on phone. Also note, once service invoice is generated, it can be paid in Toyota iConnect App under Service History. Apart from the particulars listed below, car was washed neatly and some interior dash polish was done.
  1. 10k service in Aug 2023 - Oil change, filter, gasket change, windshield washer fluid change. Wheel alighment and balancing (SA recommended and I opted for it. Costed 2K extra). Overall cost was 6K.
  2. 20k service in Dec 2023 - Oil change, filter, gasket change, windshield washer fluid change. AC filter change (costs 2K). Wheel alighment and balancing (SA recommended and I opted for it. Costed 2K extra). Also there was rear break pad change as it was worn out and was good only for next 1-2K kms(costed 5K).
Is this normal for brake pads to wear out at just 20k km as most of the time regen braking is used?
Old 18th March 2024, 19:56   #2829
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cresterk View Post
Once I got to the highway, I figured I would see what the 2.4L turbo diesel could do. I slam the pedal down.
Nothing happens.
One...
Two...
ThrEEEEEEEEEEEHHAAAAAWWWWW

The engine takes a while to rev up and the 6 speed torque converter takes it own sweet time to downshift but after it does, a wall of torque pushes you back in your seat when the boost kicks in. I can see why this is addictive.

It effortlessly zoomed up to 100. I didn't go beyond it since I wasn't familiar with the car. You do feel the gear changes though.
Did you try this with the Power mode? There is a big difference in the response between Eco, Normal, and Power modes.
pjbiju is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th March 2024, 20:27   #2830
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manofinfinity View Post
Is this normal for brake pads to wear out at just 20k km as most of the time regen braking is used?
Most of 20k kms was driven on highways by our driver without cruise control and consistently above 120-130KMPH (even with annoying warning sound). I guess that must have resulted in break pad wornout. Need to check what other forum members got done for their 20K service to see if it was only with my car or with others also.
Old 19th March 2024, 10:45   #2831
BHPian

Completed 10000 km service total cost came to about 5500 including WA, Balancing, Rotation, after first engine oil change engine seems to be a lot quieter and overall refinement has improved.
Old 19th March 2024, 12:42   #2832
BHPian

Next time, ask for an older version of Crysta (2.8z) and you will enjoy the experience even more.

In its 2.8 avatar, acceleration is very much comparable to the Hycross hybrid and to top it up, a never-ending supply of torque even when you are cruising above 160 kmph is simply amazing.
smasher is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th March 2024, 13:00   #2833
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjbiju View Post
Did you try this with the Power mode? There is a big difference in the response between Eco, Normal, and Power modes.
Yes, try the Power mode, you will be blown away by the sheer torque rush
Old 19th March 2024, 13:17   #2834
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjbiju View Post
Yep, I tried all 3 modes. It accelerates more aggressively with lighter pedal input in power mode but the gearbox still takes its own sweet time to downshift if you are cruising in a high gear.
Old 19th March 2024, 13:21   #2835
BHPian

I know the root cause of the so called signature comfort of Innova we all know not showing up in modern Z version with 17” tyres. After I took delivery of one of the last Z automatic Crysta before it is discontinued in 2021 end, I asked in showroom that I want my vehicle to be downgraded to 16” tyres ( pls see the link below). The salesman laughed and told that Toyota has permanently resolved the issue and no need to worry. After delivery, I took Crysta to a long drive to western ghats and I immediately realised that this is not Innova I know wrt comfort and the culprit is 17” tyres which I realised later is pushed by Toyota for aesthetics.

https://www.motorbeam.com/toyota-inn...wnsized-17-16/

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks