Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th March 2024, 15:04   #2806
Senior - BHPian

Re: Toyota Innova Hycross Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by manofinfinity View Post
Is it just me or anyone else finding the Hycross driver seats not comfortable in terms of back and neck support, what can I do to improve the comfort, at first I thought that fitting seat covers would somehow improve the comfort but it didn’t help.
I feel like back and neck support are non-existent. Crysta had much better front seats, and extra cushioning, Hycross seats in comparison like thin and somewhat small and they feel small while sitting, which seems like cost-cutting which should not be done.
The headrests of the hycross jut too far ahead because of some modern safety bullshit to prevent whiplash.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Head_r...for_discomfort

I have been looking for other headrests but aftermarket options for headrests seem non-existent. I would love to replace them with the winged headrests from a Vellfire or even a Safari.

Something that helps in the meantime: If you have a habit of driving with the seat in the highest position, lower it down. It seems to put some odd stress on my lower back when driving with the seat set up very high. Since there is no adjustable lumbar, I think the seat was designed to sit lower down than usual.
Cresterk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2024, 18:46   #2807

Quote:
Originally Posted by manofinfinity View Post
Is it just me or anyone else finding the Hycross driver seats not comfortable in terms of back and neck support, what can I do to improve the comfort, at first I thought that fitting seat covers would somehow improve the comfort but it didn’t help.
I feel like back and neck support are non-existent. Crysta had much better front seats, and extra cushioning, Hycross seats in comparison like thin and somewhat small and they feel small while sitting, which seems like cost-cutting which should not be done.
Adding to cost cutting, Hycross buttons for powered seats are without markings
Old 13th March 2024, 09:49   #2808

My car never allows the hybrid battery to go below 3/8 or above 4/8 in the state-of-charge graphic. Might have seen 5/8 once. Is this normal behaviour and is the car trying to keep the battery in this range for longevity? Or could there be some issue which is preventing the full use of the battery? The car is only a few weeks old and has run about 500kms.
Old 13th March 2024, 10:14   #2809
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandip_sm View Post
My car never allows the hybrid battery to go below 3/8 or above 4/8 in the state-of-charge graphic. Might have seen 5/8 once. Is this normal behaviour and is the car trying to keep the battery in this range for longevity? Or could there be some issue which is preventing the full use of the battery? The car is only a few weeks old and has run about 500kms.
It is completely normal behaviour, you do not see more bars because the battery might be used continuously, in normal driving conditions, During driving in hills or driving down a slope if you coast you can get full bars of battery but in that condition when the battery is full, the engine will start as it will use engine braking and not the regen braking but no fuel will be injected during this.
I have myself seen full bars multiple times when driving downhills or ghats sections as was just coasting most of the time, with time you will better understand the hybrid system.
manofinfinity is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2024, 11:06   #2810

Hi All,
I have booked Hycross VX(0) along with XUV700 AX7 P MT. I like both the cars with Hycross being preferred given an additional benefit of 3rd row comfort and bigger boot space.

My heart goes to Hycross but i am not able to get my head around the additional 11 Lakh premium Hycross demands over XUV700. With the price difference, I will be able to drive approx 1 Lakh KMs on XUV (assuming 10KMpL at Rs 100/- per liter).

Apart from the third row comfort, both the cars checks all the other boxes i have as a requirement.

I am reaching out to the Pundits, Gurus and existing owners to get some wisdom on which option to go for?
pbhardwaj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2024, 11:31   #2811
Senior - BHPian

Dear BHPians,

Yesterday test drove the Innova Hycross Hybrid. Car felt very good, steering was very light and car didn't feel bulky when behind the wheel. Other good points of car are already covered here.

My biggest concern is, does it make sense to pay the premium for the hybrid. Apart from Good Fuel Efficiency and better low end torque does it make any sense over regular petrol variant. My running is 7-8k/year. Is Hybrid worth the Premium of nearly 5.5-6 lakhs.
CarguyNish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2024, 12:29   #2812
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbhardwaj View Post
Hi All,

Apart from the third row comfort, both the cars checks all the other boxes i have as a requirement.

I am reaching out to the Pundits, Gurus and existing owners to get some wisdom on which option to go for?
We were also in the same dilemma we were also confused between Xuv and Hycross, as we have experienced both Xuv 500 and Crysta in our family, Innova just felt like a better product overall.
In the short run, Xuv might wow you with all its tech and everything but trust me as we have personally experienced with Xuv 500 after 10 years how much of these things will work without a problem there is no guarantee Simple things like door handles, power windows, boot release, instrument cluster etc started giving problems and we have to sell it for peanuts as Xuv resale value is very poor.
In terms of value, Innova feels like a car you have spend more than 25l compared to Xuv and you will also feel much more confident keeping it longer than 10 years.
If you can stretch your budget then definitely go for the Hycross.
manofinfinity is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2024, 18:35   #2813
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

My heart goes to Hycross but i am not able to get my head around the additional 11 Lakh premium Hycross demands over XUV700. With the price difference, I will be able to drive approx 1 Lakh KMs on XUV (assuming 10KMpL at Rs 100/- per liter).
I too was in similar dilemma but since hycross is automatic, I believe you should be comparing xuv AT, and in Bangalore the price of XUV ax7 AT is almost 29L vs hycross VX(o) around 35L. So I was convinced with Hycross at around 6 lakh difference since you do get extra goodies such as 360 degree camera which is handy in city conditions, also I felt Hycross to be more car like for city driving

But if you compare with XUV AX5 , then it can be a different equation with around ten lakh gap.
Old 14th March 2024, 08:14   #2814
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarguyNish View Post
Dear BHPians,

Yesterday test drove the Innova Hycross Hybrid. Car felt very good, steering was very light and car didn't feel bulky when behind the wheel. Other good points of car are already covered here.

My biggest concern is, does it make sense to pay the premium for the hybrid. Apart from Good Fuel Efficiency and better low end torque does it make any sense over regular petrol variant. My running is 7-8k/year. Is Hybrid worth the Premium of nearly 5.5-6 lakhs.
Same debate within myself.

Answering a couple of questions might lead you in the right direction.
1. Whats your primary drive - Highway OR City Traffic?
>> If its 90% highway drive v/s 10% city drive, then, Petrol makes sense.

2. How long you plan to keep the car with you?
>> If you planning to retain it for 10+ years, Hybrid makes sense.

3. Drivability factor?
>> Much better drivability with E-CVT in Hybrid v/s regular CVT in Petrol.

4. Missing features?
>> I care the most for Automatic Climate Control in Hybrid v/s Manual in Petrol. If you do, go for Hybrid.

Having said all this, I havent decided 100% whether to go for Petrol or Hybrid

Good luck!
kaviprem is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2024, 11:13   #2815
BHPian

Does the 7 seater ZX version make sense for carrying 6 people on long distance trips? We are an extended family and if I need an Innova to do a long distance 3-5 day road trip, then the ZX version (7 str) won't be sufficient to accomodate the luggage. If I fold one half of the third row seat to make space for luggage, effectively it becomes only a five seater.

Does this mean that only the 8 seater version is the best for long distance with luggage? The 7 seater is only meant for city commutes with minimal luggage?
Old 14th March 2024, 11:40   #2816
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarguyNish View Post
Dear BHPians,

The 5 - 5.6 lakhs difference is not for the same variant, right ? I guess the hybrid's base variant is one variant above the Petrol variant. Correct me if I am wrong.

This is my recommendation.

In case, environment is top on your priority, it's a no brainer. Go for the hybrid. . Hybrids make a huge difference in environmental pollution especially in crawling city traffic. You don't need to read further in that case.

Coming to the other factors.

Factors in favour of the Hybrid variant
  • In case the running is more than 15000 kms per year, then you save ~ INR 36000 per year in which case I will recommend using the Hybrid even for economical reasons.
  • The higher life of brake pads since regen braking will drastically reduce the usage of actual brakes. Brake pads on the Hycross should cost around 8000+ per pair.
  • In case, you have significant usage in city vs highways, then hybrid might turn the tables even without having to drive 15000 kms per year.
  • In case you need the features which are available only on the hybrid variants. Unfortunately, Petrol Hycross variants are not fully loaded.
  • The low end torque of the EV makes drivability better in City traffic and inclines. But, the Petrol motor is no slouch either. It has more than adequate steam.
  • World's best Hybrid technology from Toyota. It has matured over multiple iterations over decades.
  • Theoretically, the e-CVT will be easier to maintain than the CVT since you don't have to be precise with the transmission fluid replacement unlike in a CVT. But, this matters only if you plan to keep the vehicle for more than 2.5 lakh kms. Otherwise, it's not much of an issue.

Factors in favour of the Petrol variant
  • In case you have low running ( ~7500 kms per year ), then the saving is only INR 18000 per year.
  • The anxiety of the hybrid battery failing after the 8 years warranty and the cost associated with replacement. PS: The Toyota hybrids can still work as a petrol car without the hybrid battery. So, it's just that you lose out on the efficiency and some low end torque if you choose not to replace it.
  • The extra leg space you free up on the 2nd and 3rd rows because of the ability to hide the feet of the 2nd row passengers under the front seat.
  • The bigger 12v battery on the Petrol variant is less probable to cause a downtime after long periods of non-usage of the vehicle. The hybrid has a smaller 12v battery and hence can drain out faster if the vehicle is not used for extended period preventing you from starting the vehicle. So, if you are someone who might park the vehicle without usage for months ( due to foreign trips for example ), Petrol might be a better option. Such long periods of non-usage can also affect the life of the lithium ion battery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by contentedbloke View Post
Does the 7 seater ZX version make sense for carrying 6 people on long distance trips? We are an extended family and if I need an Innova to do a long distance 3-5 day road trip, then the ZX version (7 str) won't be sufficient to accomodate the luggage. If I fold one half of the third row seat to make space for luggage, effectively it becomes only a five seater.

Does this mean that only the 8 seater version is the best for long distance with luggage? The 7 seater is only meant for city commutes with minimal luggage?
You can still do 6 people on the 7 seater if you package the luggage intelligently. Some tips.
  • Use smaller and flexible bags which can change shape based on where you tuck it in.
  • Instead of folding the seats, add luggage to the space between passengers both on the 2nd row and 3rd row )
  • Get a thule box. But, do check with Toyota if it works even with the panoramic sunroof.

Advantages of a 7 seater vis-a-vis 8 seater
  • The 7 seater has an advantage that it doesn't make you feel claustrophobic on the 3rd row due to that gap between the 2nd row seats.
  • It also makes the access to 3rd row easier. You can slide in through the gap between the 2nd and 3rd row seat.
  • Also, if you feel like stretching a bit, you can use the gap between 2nd row seats to stretch your legs for some time which makes a huge difference for the comfort of the 3rd row passengers.
When I am not driving on my Crysta and the car is full, I generally travel in the 3rd row seat and the gap between the 2nd row seats makes the travel so much more better. I am talking about 10 hour drives where I might be in this space for 5 - 6 hours.

Last edited by amalji : 14th March 2024 at 12:06.
amalji is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 15th March 2024, 09:29   #2817
Senior - BHPian

Is there any update regarding availability of GX(O) variant in Hycross. Dealers are saying that system isn't allowing booking yet and training is yet to happen so they can't give tentative timeline as to when the cars will start arrive. I am flexible with exterior color options, but want 7 Seater. Additional features in GX(O) seems to be really worth it since they cannot be fitted aftermarket.

A 25 lakh car with Manual AC is a joke. Climate Control should have been standard. Now GX(O) gets one though.
CarguyNish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2024, 23:18   #2818

Hi dear members. I am facing a strange issue with my Hycross Hybrid. Despite tank refueling and resetting the trip meter, the distance to empty shows around 580 km or less even though tank and total average is more than 18/19l9l kmpl. Earlier after refueling it showed 700 or more km dte. Can someone please guide how to resolve this?
Attached Thumbnails
Toyota Innova Hycross Review-20240315_231545.jpg  

Old 16th March 2024, 07:36   #2819
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi All,
I have booked Hycross VX(0) along with XUV700 AX7 P MT. I like both the cars with Hycross being preferred given an additional benefit of 3rd row comfort and bigger boot space.
If you are planning to keep your car for a longer period, a Toyota makes more sense.
Old 16th March 2024, 09:42   #2820
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manveet84 View Post
Hi dear members. I am facing a strange issue with my Hycross Hybrid. Despite tank refueling and resetting the trip meter, the distance to empty shows around 580 km or less even though tank and total average is more than 18/19l9l kmpl. Earlier after refueling it showed 700 or more km dte. Can someone please guide how to resolve this?
The algorithm for DTE calculation is not straight forward and varies from manufacturer to manufacturer. Lot of factors are in play here including manufacturer not wanting to take liability if the customer is stranded on the road after trusting the DTE. You might want to check this discussion on DTE (Distance to Empty (DTE): How exactly is it calculated?).

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks