Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th December 2022, 07:30   #316
BANNED

Re: Toyota Innova Hycross Launched @ 18.30 Lakh

It is a shame that Toyota is completely ditching the idea of selling great diesels to the masses. Time to say goodbye to India, Toyota. Get woke, go broke.
Old 29th December 2022, 07:53   #317
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)
Re: Toyota Innova Hycross Launched @ 18.30 Lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cresterk View Post
Pretty good chance it will get 5 stars. Toyota doesn't play the game of selling tin cans in India and better quality cars abroad like Hyundai/Kia/Maruti etc to skimp on production costs.
The very fact that Toyota are doing badge engineering along with Maruti, shows that Toyota simply cannot produce a car conforming totally to its own standards and which is still priced cheaply enough for India and Indians.

The disappearance of the Etios and Liva shows this. The Etios only lives in the Taxi market and probably will for some more time but as far as I know one cannot buy a new one any more.

In India its probably best that Toyota stays with its mainstay the Innova and keeps its only concession to the upper end of the mass market the way it has done, with the HyRyder.
shankar.balan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th December 2022, 08:52   #318
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Toyota Innova Hycross Review

If Innova Hybrid delivers Camry Hybrid like comfort and drive, it will be a game changer. I expect the prices to see an upward revision once the well-heeled get a taste of Innova Hybrid.
androdev is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 29th December 2022, 09:31   #319
BHPian

I may be missing out on something. But i think it was purely hype that people now think hycross is priced surprisingly low.
Hybrids are introduced as an alternative to diesel for mile munching, but that would make sense if hybrid options were at the same price with diesel. Paying premium with initial cost makes less sense to me. Till now, People used to calculate running costs and savings for petrol vs diesel and see how long will it take to breakeven.
I myself was waiting for the prices of hycross hybrid. It would give 20 kmpl in city or low speeds, but most people would be buying this mammoth for highways as a primary car who would have another car for city commutes in their garage. So 20kmpl on highways is again questionable. It doesnt swicth to EV at high fluctuating rpms.
Hycross Hybrid VX is priced 4L more expensive than xuv700 ax5, and 2L more than crysta GX AT in my town.
Toyota Innova Hycross Review-screenshot_20221229091410169.png

IMO, Financially it doesn't make sense. Now taking into consideration reliability. This is a monocoque construction unlike the crysta BOF, we dont know how reliable the product would be. So is Toyota milking us for reliability image?

How does this make sense?
Am i missing out something? Or are we blinded by Toyota reliability that we'd pay any price they ask for?
Wouldnt it make sense to buy 18-20L car which is slightly less reliable and save 6L for repairs and fuel?
Example, xuv700 and hector plus.

I would love to be corrected on my perspective, Thanks.
Heisenberg_ad is offline   (41) Thanks
Old 29th December 2022, 09:50   #320
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heisenberg_ad View Post

How does this make sense?
Am i missing out something? Or are we blinded by Toyota reliability that we'd pay any price they ask for?
Wouldnt it make sense to buy 18-20L car which is slightly less reliable and save 6L for repairs and fuel?

The diesel makes sense for now, however with BS6 stage 2, diesel cars are expected to get more expensive and more complex. Smaller diesels have already vanished and few bigger diesels may also cease to exist as norms get stricter. There is more than just reliability that makes Innova expensive(tech, brand image built over years, better resale etc.), so it boils down to individual preferences.
PrideRed is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th December 2022, 10:01   #321
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Now taking into consideration reliability. This is a monocoque construction unlike the crysta BOF, we dont know how reliable the product would be. So is Toyota milking us for reliability

We are overestimating the impact of a body on frame construction type on reliability. A vehicle need not be body on frame to be reliable. Corolla or Camry hybrids run for lakhs of kms as taxi cabs without any reliability issues. Even in the case of SUV/MUV the highlander hybrid regularly features at the top of most reliable and long-lasting car reports.

I think we are tuned to this perception because we have been limited to Innova and Fortuner as the reliability benchmark for a long time. They are products that were conceived two decades back. Their construction type does not have to be a sacred ingredient for reliability in modern times.

Last edited by padmrajravi : 29th December 2022 at 10:05.
padmrajravi is offline   (49) Thanks
Old 29th December 2022, 10:01   #322
BHPian

Quote:

I incidentally happenend to be thinking on the very same lines yesterday. Here's my thoughts on this.

There's a good 6 Lakhs difference between GX and the first accessible hybrid variant VX.

Assuming price per liter of petrol as 110 and cost per kilometer (fuel only) for GX, VX as 11 Rupees and 5 Rupees respectively, the breakeven seems to come down at somewhere around the 1 Lakh Kilometer mark.

Makes me wonder, why not GX? I think Toyota already did this calculation and hence lot more features are now provided on VX, ZX variants.

But GX is not very bad to be considered according to me. All basic features are offered.

Last edited by Axe77 : 31st December 2022 at 03:46. Reason: Fixing spacing.
r24x7 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 29th December 2022, 10:27   #323

Hello All.

I just sold my 2020 Swift ZXI Plus. I usually change cars every 3 years. I'm now looking for a comfortable 7-seater for under 30 lakhs, which can be increased to 35 lakhs on the road. Until yesterday, I had my heart set on a XUV 700 Diesel AX5 7-seat automatic. keeping in mind the depreciation part. I feel Hycross will hold its value compared to the XUV 700. In the event that I proceed with Hycross, it will be the VX Hybrid version. In three years, our Swift only traveled 12K kilometers.
syedyaseer is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th December 2022, 10:38   #324
BHPian

Now that the pricing is out, it looks an absolute VFM in the market for sure. I am happy I had one prebooked and can expect the delivery early but some thoughts hovering around:
1. Interior Quality: Some people who checked out the car in person flagged out the interior does not look as premium as it should for a 30L+ odd car.. Anybody who can compare it with a Tucson/Fortuner?

2. Deliveries Commencement?: The pricing has been absolutely declared silently and no hype was created by Toyota like Mahindra had created one at the time of Thar 2020. No communication from the dealer in Delhi/NCR for the deliveries commencement.

Any inputs are welcome please
Old 29th December 2022, 10:42   #325
BHPian

Unfortunately, a 36L Innova is now proclaimed as best pricing. Blame it on the current trend of Car pricing.

Please note, We are not talking about the Big fat German trio here, we are talking about 7 seater people mover and a Toyota.

One can buy a 1 bhk for the same price in some of the upcoming zones in big metro cities. Agree, Agree, Definitely not the right comparison, but cannot avoid the middle class mind popping out.

Insane pricing for cars these days!!.. Hope some price correction kicks in sometime going by the current economic trend.
DRIVE_ADDICT is offline   (51) Thanks
Old 29th December 2022, 10:45   #326
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by padmrajravi View Post
We are overestimating the impact of a body on frame construction type on reliability. A vehicle need not be body on frame to be reliable. Corolla or Camry hybrids run for lakhs of kms as taxi cabs without any reliability issues. Even in the case of SUV/MUV the highlander hybrid regularly features at the top of most reliable and long-lasting car reports.
Reliability from a start up and run in the morning perspective - yes but durability will take a hit.

Toyota themselves knew that Indian roads were different from that abroad, so they played safe with Qualis and then Innova/Fortuner etc. They did not focus much on Corolla/Camry , they also did not indianize these cars as well, So as a Corolla or Camry age, they aren't in the same league as an Innova / Fortuner. Durability is a problem and replacement parts will burn a hole through your wallet. Etios is very much Indianized and is pretty durable as far as the mechanical bits are concerned however the rest of the bits aren't the same you expect of a Toyota.

Hycross if it is sufficiently Indianized should ideally make it far more durable and easy to maintain however the typical FWD replacement items (interval and price), the ground clearance issues (no frame to tuck things behind) etc are always going to play a role in deciding if the vehicle will suit commercial use.
Kosfactor is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 29th December 2022, 11:11   #327
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
With the third row of seats folded, things get better and a healthy 991 litres of luggage space is available. The best part is, the cargo area has a completely flat floor with the third row seats folded down.
This I don't think is correct. In the process of comparing Tucson 2022's boot space with that of my Tata Hexa's (with 3rd row folded down), I found that the dimensions for Hexa are approximately 120cm x 100cm x 45cm ~= 540L. It will actually be further less considering the wheel well bulges and second row recline angles. Hycross may not have much better - I don't see a possibility for any of the above dimensions to double up compared to Hexa. Did you mean to write it as "second row seats folded down"?

Last edited by vinodvayyat : 29th December 2022 at 11:19.
Old 29th December 2022, 11:22   #328
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinodvayyat View Post
In the process of comparing Tucson 2022's boot space with that of my Tata Hexa's (with 3rd row folded down), I found that the dimensions for Hexa are approximately 120cm x 100cm x 45cm ~= 540L. It will actually be further less considering the wheel well bulges and second row recline angles. Hycross may not have much better - I don't see a possibility for any of the above dimensions to double up compared to Hexa. Did you mean to write it as "second row seats folded down"?
The second row of seats does not fold or tumble in the HyCross, at least not the captain chairs. They can only slide forwards, and the backrest angle can be changed.
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2022, 11:30   #329
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
The second row of seats does not fold or tumble in the HyCross, at least not the captain chairs. They can only slide forwards, and the backrest angle can be changed.
Yes, forgot that fact - the Electric Ottoman factor . In that case 991L doesn't seem anywhere possible.
vinodvayyat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2022, 11:42   #330
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r24x7 View Post
Assuming price per liter of petrol as 110 and cost per kilometer( fuel only ) for GX , VX as 11 Rupees and 5 Rupees respectively , the breakeven seems to come down at somewhere around the 1 Lakh Kilometer mark.
Exactly, i would still buy XUV, crysta or Hector plus over hycross. I like torquey motors.
Hybrids do come with 8 years of battery warrenty. In a pure EV, the users find it easier to find out if the battery health gets deteriorated. But in hybrids, the car will switch to petrol more often if the battery starts to drain early. Ofcourse there are guage meters to check the battery health at the service centre.
I like the exterior of the hycross, interiors are ok too. I wish it came with crysta's diesel. Had they found a way to put Crysta's 2.4 diesel in hycross, they wouldn't have to phase out crysta. They could have simply discontinued it and brought hycross as an updated innova.
I would wait for long term reviews before jumping into hybrids.
Heisenberg_ad is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks