Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th April 2023, 17:43   #91
BHPian

Re: 2023 Hyundai Verna Review

Test drove Verna DCT and frankly speaking, my first impressions post drive are positive than I had anticipated.

The car is probably not photogenic but looks good in flesh. It's only the front which will take a little getting used to.

The boot is huge, even bigger than the type 1 Dzire that I have. The boot layout is very good as well.

The interiors are well laid out and the choice of materials that Hyundai chooses is praiseworthy. Yes, there are hard plastics but they don't look or feel cheap. Compare this with the new Maruti/Toyota offerings and the difference is stark.

But the biggest positive was the engine. This engine is FAST. I even felt that it was an overkill for Verna. The engine is refined, no vibrations at all within the cabin and the rasping note when being pushed hard is good, not intrusive. I tried the car from 0-120kmph in comfort and sports mode and the engine has oodles of power across range. The sport mode will be enthusiast's favorite. The engine just pulls and pulls insanely and left a smile on my face. Even the handling of the car felt neutral. It's not a corner craver but again, my use case barometer was regular drives.

The suspension was good for regular driving. It's not floaty or super soft. The only time you feel the softness of suspension is if you go aggressive with the car. But for regular driving, the suspension is mature.

One of the concerns I felt was that folks with motion sickness should remain away from this car. The way engine puts power to the car, folks with motion sickness will not like it. The other point I could figure out was how low the front headlamps are. It's going to be very difficult to protect them and these would be the first impacted parts in case of frontal impact.

All said and done, I loved the car for what it offers. Sedans are not in my next car criterion. I am waiting for this engine to come in Seltos/Creta and hopefully this engine enters my garage.
headbanger is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 8th April 2023, 14:41   #92
BHPian

Verna (or any Hyundai) owners in Mumbai - How has your car's suspension fared in this city?

This is my only concern considering that Hyundai is not known for suspensions that can handle bad roads and Mumbai has pretty bad roads (especially during monsoons).

Also, are suspension systems covered under warranty? SA says no, which I find hard to believe.

Thanks in advance!
cityslicker86 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2023, 16:50   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxton07 View Post
Manual states that all the ADAS features will remain in the latest settings done by the user even after restarting. So to answer your query, its YES.

Attachment 2436925

By the way, how many have booked the TGDi variant for the verna?

Also the waiting period quoted? My vehicle is yet to be allocated by the dealer.
Yup you are right. I just did a test drive of the Verna DCT and tried this. The ADAS settings are persistent. So once toggled on/off it remains that way even after switching off and starting the car. It doesn't reset everytime the car starts. This is good.
ulag62442 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th April 2023, 13:12   #94
BHPian

Dear All

Please help me to choose right variant. Typical heart vs brain issue.
My budget is 19.4 lakhs.

115 BHP IVT (auto) SX (O) Vs 160 BHP Manual - SX (O) (both are same cost).

Deal breakers - are Leatherette seats and budget. I badly want Leatherette seats. Only SX(O) has that.

What do I miss in 160 BHP - MT variant

Miss the automatic (iVT)

I am at present 46 yrs old, planning to have this car for another 10 years.

My heart says

I am still in young , lets to go for 160 BHP, have fun.
I have no problem with using Manual Transmission. Can drive MT for another 10 years.
MT more cheaper to maintain.
Real car enthusiast buys only MT. And this is going to be last MT of my life. In 5 years, MT will become extinct (even driving will become extinct).

But my brain says, I am long past that age,

I had enough with Palio and Linea TJET.
Though IVT is not so great, but just practical.
The additional 45 BHP is purely waste, Its going to be largely unused show piece.
Most of the time I am going to bother mileage.

My experience with cars.
2005-2010 - FIAT Palio
2010-2013 - Linea TJET
2013-till Now - Honda Amaze (deisel)
Occasional - AudiA4 with DSG (Friend's) , Honda iVTEC - MT (Dad's).

Pls share your thoughts. Thanks In Advance.
prkothan is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 9th April 2023, 14:06   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prkothan View Post
Same thing here, turbo will mostly be remain unused.

However, I'm going in all heart, with brain convinced only for the fact that Hyundai ASS is easily available everywhere, and that Verna is offering extended warranty upto 7th year.

I don't want to miss out on fun whenever I get an option to unleash the turbo.

Last edited by MyLife_MyCar : 9th April 2023 at 14:07. Reason: Edited warranty part
MyLife_MyCar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th April 2023, 21:51   #96
BHPian

Quote:
Dear All

My suggestion would be to go for 1.5 Turbo Manual. Extra power is always helpful and safer, especially on the highways and on hills. Higher engine power does not mean to push it to the limits. Verna's manual gear shifts are smooth. You would enjoy your ride.
SeniorC is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2023, 23:28   #97
BHPian

Quote:
Dear All

My budget is 19.4 lakhs.

My heart says

I am still in young , lets to go for 160 BHP, have fun.
I have no problem with using Manual Transmission. Can drive MT for another 10 years.
MT more cheaper to maintain.
Real car enthusiast buys only MT. And this is going to be last MT of my life. In 5 years, MT will become extinct (even driving will become extinct).

But my brain says, I am long past that age,
Honest advice (especially considering you're going to be owning the car for 10 years) spend a little more than your budget and go for the Turbo DCT.

I'm 34, I'd like to believe I'm an "enthusiast", and I've been through the same conundrum (manual vs automatic). The DCT is as close as you'll get to having your cake and eating it too.

I assure, once you've used a DCT there's no going back to a manual. Maybe that's just my experience with Bangalore traffic talking, but I can safely bet your city is not too different, and traffic's only going to get worse.
Jeevith is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th April 2023, 23:55   #98
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Please help me to choose right variant. Typical heart vs brain issue...
You haven't stated your use case. Turbo MT will thrive primarily as a highway cruiser, if that's what you intend to use it for.

If any significant portion of your mileage is going to be in urban traffic, an MT is unlikely to keep you happy into your 50s that you intend to keep the car.

Also, have you test driven the 1.5 IVT yet? The IVT SX(O) isn't equipped like-for-like as the DCT SX(O) kit-wise but isn't missing anything drastic, and the powertrain isn't a typical lazy and rubber-bandy NA + CVT combination. I think this combo might surprise people willing to look beyond on-paper stats.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 9th April 2023 at 23:59.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 10th April 2023, 03:06   #99
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
You haven't stated your use case. Turbo MT will thrive primarily as a highway cruiser, if that's what you intend to use it for.
I used to drive a lot (like Chennai to Goa) for vacations. But Amaze killed all my interest in driving. If I get Verna, I will drive a lot in highways. Say atleast 50:50.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Also, have you test driven the 1.5 IVT yet? The IVT SX(O) isn't equipped like-for-like as the DCT SX(O) kit-wise but isn't missing anything drastic,
DCT SX(O) has two important features related to ADAS. Those two advanced features only available in this variant. And black interiors available only in this variant.

Actually best thing I can do is, just go for DCT variant.

Last edited by prkothan : 10th April 2023 at 03:07.
prkothan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2023, 12:10   #100

Anyone has an idea of the production volumes of SX(O) DCT? I have booked one in Bangalore on 27th March and the dealer is quoting 2-3 months wait time (4 bookings for Grey before me at Trident Indiranagar). Keen on taking the delivery earlier if that's an option. Would appreciate any suggestions on how one can acquire the vehicle faster.
Old 10th April 2023, 15:10   #101
BHPian

On 09 April 2023, I visited the Modi Hyundai showroom at Thane, Maharashtra. Test drive was available for the 1.5 Turbo petrol manual variant. Following are the observations:

1. The car looks better in person.

2. Paint quality is not up to the mark, orange peel effect is quite prominent, in fact the most obvious of all the cars that I have seen so far. Even the Ionic 5 and Tuscon severely suffer from orange peel effect.

3. The car struggles to maintain speed below 12 km/h in second gear, members please confirm if the same was experienced by others. I could feel the engine is about to stall when at low speed in second gear.

I presently drive a Suzuki Swift petrol, and have driven i10 (1.2 Kappa) and M800 MPFI in the past. None of these cars ever struggled in 2nd gear. I could even start off from rest in 2nd with reasonable amount of clutch modulation.

4. The user interface for the gadgets (ICE & HVAC) is very intuitive and reasonably responsive, no lag was noticed. However one needs to remember to switch between the ICE & HVAC.

5. Seats were supportive and reasonably spacious, however the extra wheelbase compared to the Honda City is not felt inside the cabin. Boot space is huge and it is very much apparent.

6. Sound quality from the music system was good.

7. The car was parked in the sun, and the air con could not cool the car to be comfortable, in the 15-20 minutes that we spent for the test drive.

8. The sales person was very friendly and overall experience at the showroom was satisfactory.

9. There were not too many people in the showroom though it was a Sunday.

10. The car is available with reasonable waiting period (officially 3 months) or even immediate delivery, based on the colour & variant chosen.

Cheers

Last edited by Brumby : 10th April 2023 at 15:23.
Brumby is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2023, 17:42   #102

I am looking forward to buying a sedan in the next 2 months. Currently, own Ford Ecosport TDCi which is great to drive but I do feel a lack of power in lower rpms. My running is low ~ 6-7k km/ yr but mainly on Highways(70%). Confused between these 4 - City, Slavia, Virtus, and Verna.

Imp. considerations -

Reliability (I don't wish to go service centers for minor/ major niggles.)
Safety
Decent Power.
ADAS??? - Don't know if would it be helpful in Indian Driving conditions. Though the thought of not having to use brakes during the cruise entices me.
Handling / Ride quality.

Any suggestions / recommendations would be welcome.
Tatvamasi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th April 2023, 20:09   #103
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatvamasi View Post
I am looking forward to buying a sedan in the next 2 months. Currently, own Ford Ecosport TDCi which is great to drive but I do feel a lack of power in lower rpms. My running is low ~ 6-7k km/ yr but mainly on Highways(70%). Confused between these 4 - City, Slavia, Virtus, and Verna.

Imp. considerations -

Reliability (I don't wish to go service centers for minor/ major niggles.)
Safety
Decent Power.
ADAS??? - Don't know if would it be helpful in Indian Driving conditions. Though the thought of not having to use brakes during the cruise entices me.
Handling / Ride quality.

Any suggestions / recommendations would be welcome.
Reliability - City
Safety - Virtus, Slavia
Power - Verna, Virtus, Slavia
ADAS - Verna, City
Handling/Ride quality - Virtus, Slavia

Final Choice is based on what you prioritise in the above list.
steadfast is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 10th April 2023, 22:32   #104
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brumby View Post

1. The car looks better in person.

7. The car was parked in the sun, and the air con could not cool the car to be comfortable, in the 15-20 minutes that we spent for the test drive.
I had visited Hyundai showroom to test drive new 1.5 DCT Alcazar, but I was not available. So I did a test drive of Verna just to get the experience of the 1.5 Turbo engine and DCT.

I came back from the test drive with same two sentiments as one I have quoted here. I actually came to the forum to ask if others had noticed the Aircon. The Sales person had cranked up the AC, keeping temp at 19C. But after drive of 15 min, I had started sweating mildly. I tried adjusting the vents a bit, but didn't help. Did anyone face the same issue, where the AC felt underpowered. I immediately got in my Baleno which was a big improvement over the Verna.

In terms of driveability, car felt eager, had so much power of tap, that I didn't see need of sports mode. Granted this was on Bengaluru ORR, where there is not a lot of room to speed.

AC issues aside, car felt great. Too bad I'm in market for a 7 seater due to family.
yaleen is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th April 2023, 00:49   #105
BHPian

I have seen atleast 2 reviews on YT where it's mentioned that though Android auto and Apple CP are wired at the moment, an OTA update will bring the wireless feature in the future. Is anyone aware of this?
Grand Tourer is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks