Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th April 2023, 16:28   #16
BHPian

Re: Maruti Fronx Review

Fantastic review!

looks like MS have put in a lot of effort into the Fronx

If the pricing is competitive the sales will be high. If there is too much overlap with the Brezza, then it may not reach its potiential
Mafia is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2023, 16:59   #17
AYP
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
Next, all the seatbelts have to be buckled in while the car is being driven, even if there is no other person in it other than the driver. If not done, the seatbelt alarm keeps sounding. No, this was not a niggle with our test car. The system has been designed that way and it's incredibly stupid. What if you want to fold the rear seatbacks down to carry more luggage than the boot can hold?
Am I reading this right?

How can a company be so stupid? So rather than having weight sensors, this is the solution MS came up with?

Damn! I really really liked the Fronx and this would be my pick among its segment due to the 1.0 turbo+torque converter combo but this 'feature' is a major red flag. Perhaps this is a genuine scenario where buying those seat belt clips from Amazon is justified.

Btw, any news on the Toyota equivalent of this car?

Last edited by AYP : 9th April 2023 at 17:25.
AYP is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 9th April 2023, 17:04   #18
BHPian

Excellent review!

Except the name 'Fronx' and lack of sunroof, MS seem to have done everything right to make it another blockbuster among the Indian consumers.
Knightrider is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 9th April 2023, 17:11   #19
BHPian

Nice and detailed review from TBHP as always.
The vehicle is a nice package, barring the stupid design of the seat belt alarms, but the long term robustness and build quality of Maruti is always a question mark.
They are in general not built to last.
Mustang Sammy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2023, 17:17   #20
Senior - BHPian

Great review!

For a model which is a Baleno derivative, surprised at the slightly lower boot capacity. The booster jet seems the only carrot otherwise the Baleno has a cleaner mature design in my view

The cut price seat belt reminder set up is just awful! Why can't Maruti provide a load sensor based seatbelt reminder. People will just plop themselves over the 'belted' seatbelts to leave it undisturbed
GeeTee TSI is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th April 2023, 18:33   #21
BHPian

There will be two engine options to choose from - an 89 BHP, 1.2L, 4-cylinder naturally-aspirated petrol mated to a 5-speed MT or 5-speed AMT and a 99 BHP, 1.0L, 3-cylinder turbocharged petrol with a Smart Hybrid system mated to a 5-speed MT or 6-speed AT.

Does it mean that the 3cylinder engine is the same as used in alto K10/ celerio/ s presso with just a turbo added on to boost power?
murlidar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2023, 18:33   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeTee TSI View Post

The cut price seat belt reminder set up is just awful! Why can't Maruti provide a load sensor based seatbelt reminder. People will just plop themselves over the 'belted' seatbelts to leave it undisturbed
What about after a passenger uses the belt? They bend into the car and buckle up a non existent passenger? That could be fun, telling everyone to do this when they get off.

Kind of a deal breaker

Last edited by SedateGuy : 9th April 2023 at 18:34. Reason: Adding information
SedateGuy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th April 2023, 19:10   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
• Long feature list includes dual projector LED auto headlamps, LED DRLs, cruise control, 9-inch touchscreen HU paired with an Arkamys sound system, 360-degree camera, head-up display, rear A/C vents, wireless charging, footwell lighting, tilt & telescopic steering adjustment, connected car features etc
Please correct the bold part. Car comes with LED headlamps and not the dual projector ones. Thanks.
PraNeel is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 9th April 2023, 19:29   #24
BHPian

Fabulous review as usual.

I laughed hysterically on the seatbelt part. I think this is a first worldwide. Just shows how lack of attention to detail is so much prevalent today.

Coming to the car itself, it somehow is a neither here or there car. On one hand the boot space is not much, the doors are light, the engine is strictly okay, the gearing is kind of short for highway cruising and then they are marketing this as a crossover bla bla. I mean I am failing to understand the use case of this car. If you want a hatch there are better hatches around, if you want a crossover there are better ones around, clearly this car has a confused soul. Waiting for the crash test of this though.

Last edited by jackofsome : 9th April 2023 at 19:30.
jackofsome is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 9th April 2023, 20:25   #25
Senior - BHPian

I would have preferred it to have rear disc brakes like the S-cross and would also have preferred Maruti to badge it as a S-cross itself. I am glad it does not have the sunroof, not everyone wants a hole in the roof. All in a all seems like Maruti has another winner it will be interesting to see how they price it.
sumeethaldankar is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 9th April 2023, 21:19   #26
BHPian

Loved this bulky-ish design of the fronx. This will be a game changer for Maruti in this new segment and it will hamper the sales of Venue, Sonet and the likes. If they launch a CNG version on this, they will have a winner already! I also love how they ommitted sunroof. I despise sunroof but Indian buyers seem to care about it so much that all they ask is if the car has a sunroof as the first question!
techieaditya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2023, 21:49   #27
BHPian

Wanted to buy a Polo but couldn't? Get this one!! Just saw a few YT reviews, Sirish from Evo is mighty impressed. I have always felt his reviews to be honest. Team Bhp review further strenghtens the Fronx's case. Get this one before MS gets greedy!!
RD150 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 9th April 2023, 21:53   #28
BANNED

Great review, Fronx packs a good package. However crash worthiness still remains a huge question. I hope the car scores 4 stars atleast.
Piyush Kanthak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2023, 22:55   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RD150 View Post
Wanted to buy a Polo but couldn't? Get this one!! Just saw a few YT reviews, Sirish from Evo is mighty impressed. I have always felt his reviews to be honest. Team Bhp review further strenghtens the Fronx's case. Get this one before MS gets greedy!!
I have driven the new-gen baleno and can confirm that it is an amazing car to drive, and given that fronx is based on the same platform, it will be an amazing car to drive too. Not as good as the germans, but pretty close in driving dynamics.
techieaditya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2023, 23:01   #30
BHPian

This is how one should design the connected tail lamps, I mean the rear LED strip. Not the tacky abominations that Hyundai serves us in their models.

I have already admitted my liking towards Fronx in another thread. But as a prospective buyer, I would ponder over the following cons, most of them would probably come under the nitpicking category.
  • Lack of 1.2 AMT in Zeta and Alpha variants. This could have made the top end automatic more affordable
  • No rear arm-rest. Makes no sense.
  • The rear seat-belt warning that's already pointed out. Classic Maruti Suzuki cutting costs.
  • Cost cutting again with halogen bulbs in the cabin.
  • Slightly under-spec'ed tyres? Looks acceptable to me though. Also, Magnite and Kiger also come with 195 section rubber, so it should not be that big a deal.
  • If I get the top-end automatic, would the 1L Turbo Engine +TC +Mild Hybrid tech make my car 'complicated' (read as unfriendly to FNGs)? Would I be better off going for Baleno/Glanza AMT instead? But I've also heard that AMT has more moving parts, so genuine question.
  • Finally and more importantly, the ever present question of safety.

I am very happy that they didn't give in to peer pressure and cut a hole in the roof. I would also pick an analog (semi-digital) instrument cluster over digital ones any day. Overall, it sounds like a very promising package. It would be interesting to see how MSIL prices the Fronx.
professortarzan is online now   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks