Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th September 2011, 19:49   #3661
BHPian

Re: Fiat Grande Punto : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbkumar View Post
I was pretty much in the same situation, finally settled for 1.3 Emotion MJD and I think it worked out okay for me. I do hate the noise level, but learned to live with it.
How bad is the noise level? I currently own an SX4 and my dad has a Ikon 1.6 petrol. Would it be very disturbing? It is a bit of a concern for me and I am surprised that Fiat is doing nothing about it. Can it be reduced by adding some insulation somewhere?
Old 19th September 2011, 20:55   #3662
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesrani

How bad is the noise level? I currently own an SX4 and my dad has a Ikon 1.6 petrol. Would it be very disturbing? It is a bit of a concern for me and I am surprised that Fiat is doing nothing about it. Can it be reduced by adding some insulation somewhere?
No it's not very noisy, in fact the 2011 models have more insulation to prevent the noise reaching the cabin. Take a test drive that should clear your doubts. Two things have improved in 2011 model, better AC and less noise in cabin.
Old 19th September 2011, 21:03   #3663
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbkumar View Post
I was pretty much in the same situation, finally settled for 1.3 Emotion MJD and I think it worked out okay for me. I do hate the noise level, but learned to live with it.
You find your punto to be noisy? I find my 90 hp to be very quiet. Infact quieter than the Figo, Swift & almost the same as i20 CRDi.

Even outside noise is very less in the cabin. Overall, I find the insulation & NVH levels to be impressive.

EDIT:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkg77 View Post
No it's not very noisy, in fact the 2011 models have more insulation to prevent the noise reaching the cabin. Take a test drive that should clear your doubts. Two things have improved in 2011 model, better AC and less noise in cabin.
ok, now i understood, mine is a Jan 2011 make.

I agree about the AC. Has fit & finish of plastics & door beadings improved too?

I am asking this because many complain about poor fit & finish in the Punto & door beadings regularly coming off. Touch wood, my car is behaving perfectly fine, except for glove box cover having a slight gap which I noticed is a generic issue.

Last edited by raj_5004 : 19th September 2011 at 21:08.
Old 19th September 2011, 21:16   #3664
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesrani View Post
How does it drive on the highway?
Very Very well. You will be hard pressed to guess that you are doing triple digit speeds.

Quote:
Can a 6feet 2" person drive it comfortably?
Not sure on this one. Only a TD will clarify. Depends on person to person.

Quote:
Price is higher than Figo with smaller engine, is it justified?
I my opinion yes. Punto leaves others leagues behind in handling and ride comfort. And add to that the classic timeless Italian design.

Regarding engine noise, it becomes it bothers me only when I cross 120 and beyond.
Old 19th September 2011, 22:18   #3665
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkg77 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by download2live View Post
Very Very well. You will be hard pressed to guess that you are doing triple digit speeds.

Not sure on this one. Only a TD will clarify. Depends on person to person.

I my opinion yes. Punto leaves others leagues behind in handling and ride comfort. And add to that the classic timeless Italian design.

Regarding engine noise, it becomes it bothers me only when I cross 120 and beyond.
Thank you all. All votes are going to the Punto. Now only the test drive remains.
I have not considered the Swift, probably the most "popular" (by sales) due to the waiting period. But out of curiosity, is it better or worse than the Punto?
Now for the price (I have also posted on the "New Car price check thread), OTR Mumbai for Punto Emotion Pack 1.3 is 7.22 Lacs including 10K discount and free insurance. Is it possible to extract a better price? Or should I go for the Punto Emotion 1.3, its 60K cheaper but without airbags.
Old 19th September 2011, 22:22   #3666
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004

I agree about the AC. Has fit & finish of plastics & door beadings improved too?

I am asking this because many complain about poor fit & finish in the Punto & door beadings regularly coming off. Touch wood, my car is behaving perfectly fine, except for glove box cover having a slight gap which I noticed is a generic issue.
Fit and finish remains same, though the plastic is not very good looking they are durable.

The rear door beadings come out if the rear seats are used regularly. Touchwood even I have not faced the beading issue till now in my car.

Last edited by nkg77 : 19th September 2011 at 22:26.
Old 19th September 2011, 22:55   #3667
BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by download2live View Post

In addition to what others have said, Punto emotion pack has lot more features than the Figo Titanium making it adequate value for the price. Besides, I am sure you can bargain for more discounts on the Punto.

Last edited by Deep Blue : 19th September 2011 at 22:56.
Old 19th September 2011, 22:59   #3668
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you all. All votes are going to the Punto. Now only the test drive remains.
I have not considered the Swift, probably the most "popular" (by sales) due to the waiting period. But out of curiosity, is it better or worse than the Punto?
Now for the price (I have also posted on the "New Car price check thread), OTR Mumbai for Punto Emotion Pack 1.3 is 7.22 Lacs including 10K discount and free insurance. Is it possible to extract a better price? Or should I go for the Punto Emotion 1.3, its 60K cheaper but without airbags.
If you can stretch, I would say that you should go for Punto 90HP. Its OTR after discounts will be same as that of Swift ZDI but with more features and with a powerful engine.
Old 19th September 2011, 23:00   #3669
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But out of curiosity, is it better or worse than the Punto?
One difference is that Swift engine is peppier.

In all other respects Punto is better than Swift in my books.
download2live is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2011, 23:08   #3670
BHPian

Guys,I own a may 2010 fiat punto mjd active which is currently the daily drive of my kid brother .Yesterday his friend borrowed and i dont know what went wrong who erred my car met a terrible accident after jolted by a truck .
The car rolled over three times and god bless ,the soul occupant came out unscathed.
I could not post pictures as I am in Varnasi and car is in Lucknow(gold rush motors)
The moral of the story is that the accident took place within city limits of Lucknow and the solid build quality of the fiat cars and punto in particular that brothers pal is alive .
Now,NVH or no , I know that i took the right decision when I bought fiat punto mjd active
regards
Praveen singh
Old 19th September 2011, 23:15   #3671
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueblooded View Post
The moral of the story is that the accident took place within city limits of Lucknow and the solid build quality of the fiat cars and punto in particular that brothers pal is alive .
Now,NVH or no , I know that i took the right decision when I bought fiat punto mjd active
regards
Praveen singh
Oh dear lord. Good that no fatalities.

Is the car totaled? I think it would be after those rolls but still hoping its not.
I remember your posts on your car.
download2live is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2011, 23:20   #3672
BHPian

Quote:
I need some advice on buying a hatchback for my father. He is currently having a 1.6 Ford Ikon which he will sell. Wants a hatch now. Monthly 1K kms with 600 on the highway.
How does it drive on the highway?
Can a 6feet 2" person drive it comfortably?
The punto would fit your bill to the T.it is the most composed hatch you can drive on the highway.Cruises at ease 90 - 110 kmph,any faster the NVH may be a concern.Brakes are best in class though wear out a tad faster.behavior on twisties- may be a bit or more understeer compared to ikon.refinement is better than figo though diesel clatter takes atleast 8000 km to settle down.me being the same height, have to take the front seat 90% of way back to be in any sort of comfort.that leaves little space behind at best for a small kid.Figo is better in this aspect with being able to seat two 6 footers in tandem, or even new swift to an extent.the foot pedals protruding in is the problem.why not have a look at fabia diesel for that matter?
aditya116 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2011, 23:27   #3673
Senior - BHPian

I've got a quote of 8.02 lakhs for the punto after the free insurance and the gift cheque from Prerana motors in Bangalore. Is it the nest or is there any scope for reducing it further.
Concorde quoted higher and said no discounts other than 8.03, KHT is still to get back since yesterday!
Old 19th September 2011, 23:37   #3674
BHPian

To members who have driven both the emotion and emotion pack,i just now drove my colleagues emotion pack model and it had impressively direct, lighter and agile steering with a bit slicker gearshift.The low profile tyres seem to do this at no perceptible difference in ride quality.The linea T jet with 16 inchers that i test drove was even more impressive in handling.so is it down to the wheels?
One more query, with poor roads this monsoons,the ride quality over rugged roads have seem to taken a hit, though they seem good as before on good roads.How would you know ifthe suspensions sags/ bolts are loose without hearing undue noises?any way to check them out?tighten? taking it to a service center would be hopless as they dont do inspection for" suspected" issues.
Old 20th September 2011, 07:17   #3675
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rameshnanda

If you can stretch, I would say that you should go for Punto 90HP. Its OTR after discounts will be same as that of Swift ZDI but with more features and with a powerful engine.
Hmm...something more to think about. Budget is already stretched so I think the 90HP will be difficult to consider. But I will have a look again.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks