Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st August 2012, 16:23   #5161
Senior - BHPian

Re: Fiat Grande Punto : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
2500 for 100 is quite high. Atleast for the 5th gear something around 2200 rpm for 100 and and 2700 for 120 should be good.

Or simply they should have included a 6th gear as a complete overdrive to help mileage.

FIAT please get the gearbox used in Europe atleast in the next upgrade.

Not really - The current Fiat GB and Gear ratios are perfecto

Please note the peak torque of the MJD is at 1750 Rpm unlike the DDIS which is at 2000 rpm.

Also, there is a nice vocal sporty note to this engine at 4000 rpm and it is one of THE BEST DIESEL engines in town at the moment.
headers is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st August 2012, 16:37   #5162
Senior - BHPian

Punto was and still is one my most favorite automobile on Indian roads. However, with the all new 2012 Punto, the price has gone out of the roof. Punto Emotion is now the most expensive diesel hatch, beating the traditional toppers, i20 CRDi, Polo TDi and Fabia TDi.

The only silver lining is that the lower variants do have some basic required features, if not all, but still.

BTW, Punto Sports 90HP looks stunning in flesh. I had not liked it one bit in the photos. Has any TBHPian got a Punto Sport already? Would love to see the report.
ajay_satpute is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2012, 17:11   #5163
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
Punto was and still is one my most favorite automobile on Indian roads. However, with the all new 2012 Punto, the price has gone out of the roof. Punto Emotion is now the most expensive diesel hatch, beating the traditional toppers, i20 CRDi, Polo TDi and Fabia TDi.

The only silver lining is that the lower variants do have some basic required features, if not all, but still.

BTW, Punto Sports 90HP looks stunning in flesh. I had not liked it one bit in the photos. Has any TBHPian got a Punto Sport already? Would love to see the report.
Actually Ajay the Emotion 75HP happens to be the cheapest fully loaded diesel hatch considering final money outflow, barring the beat. Pricing is even cheaper than the Swift ZDi. Although on paper the Punto is priced higher than the Swift, Fiat is offering some freebies like free insurance, free extended warranty, corporate bonus, exchange bonus, etc. I just paid a visit to the local Fiat showroom to get TDs of the Punto 75 and Punto 90. All in all, the final price that you pay becomes 40-50k lesser than their quoted on-road price.

Emotion 75HP : on road price in Bangalore ~8.4L. After discounts it is ~8L
Emotion 90HP (Sports) : on road price ~9L. After discounts it is ~8.5L

If we compare this to Swift ZDi, ZDi is 8.3L on road, and there is not a single rupee discount on it.

i20 CRDi Asta costs ~9.2L on road here, very minimal discounts. i20 Sportz (I don't know what is 'Sports' about it but that's a different issue) also retails at around 8.4-8.5L.

I have a booking for a swift ZDi which I am contemplating to ditch and go for Punto 90HP Sports if the factory lockout continues for few more weeks. Still in confusion.

Last edited by KarthikK : 1st August 2012 at 17:12.
KarthikK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2012, 17:42   #5164
BHPian

Wow, I did not know that the pricing of so called premium hatches have gone so much to the roof. I bought my MJD Punto 75HP Emotion pack in Oct - 2009 for 7.02L on road. Now it looks like there is a 1L price difference for the same model. This is probably one of the major reason + *** inconsistencies which is keeping buyer's away from FIAT cars.

Honestly, in my 3 years of ownership, I have had no issues with respect to service. Non regular spares could be an issue as they might not be readily available.

But the drive, handling, steering feedback + high speed stability makes up for all the negative points of Punto. Just last week we had a hectic 3-day drive from Bangalore to Kumbakonam covering all Navagraha temples and few other temples enroute. We came back to Bangalore on Sunday by 7.30PM. A good night's rest is all that is needed to get fresh and go to office on Monday morning. I should start a long term ownership report soon.
gopikb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2012, 18:00   #5165
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post
I have a booking for a swift ZDi which I am contemplating to ditch and go for Punto 90HP Sports if the factory lockout continues for few more weeks. Still in confusion.
From my TD's last year, apart from the ZDi the Punto 90 was the only other car that appealed to the heart! Punto 90 had better drivability than the Swift too.

If you frequent the highways a lot, Punto 90 will be the best hatch you can buy IMO,else Punto 75 is good enough within the city.

Its now more city friendly thanks to the 5m turning radius. Since you already have a Fiat, service won't be an issue.

However, one advantage the Punto 90 has over the 75 is, remap and tuning box make a lot more difference on the 90 than on the 75 bhp one.
shashank.nk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2012, 08:54   #5166
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
From my TD's last year, apart from the ZDi the Punto 90 was the only other car that appealed to the heart! Punto 90 had better drivability than the Swift too.

If you frequent the highways a lot, Punto 90 will be the best hatch you can buy IMO,else Punto 75 is good enough within the city.

Its now more city friendly thanks to the 5m turning radius. Since you already have a Fiat, service won't be an issue.

However, one advantage the Punto 90 has over the 75 is, remap and tuning box make a lot more difference on the 90 than on the 75 bhp one.
I use a Punto 75 [1.3 MJD] for a daily average of 100-150 kms and have found no need to go above 140kph - Pushed to 160 max just for kicks.

Handles 140 for hours together without a fuss.

Migrated from a Accent CRDi which does 170 but cant hold a candle to the Fiat when it comes to holding high speeds over longer distances.

Yes the accent accelerated faster too. But the Fiat is silent and efficient
headers is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2012, 09:46   #5167
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
I agree to this as I have a Punto 90 hp and the RD box has just wonders. I have got a great drivability with along with the RAW power it generates in the P2 mode. Recently got my 30 K service done and now its just so smooth and no issues at all.

I had given my car for a test drive to my neighbhour who owns a Fabia diesel, he was just blown away with the car and its ride and power delivery with A.C , he says that his Fabia struggles to climb a small ghat also when driven with A.C on.

Also, our very own Ninjatalli drove my car while we were returning from the Mumbai-Pune mega meet, and he was so amazed with the difference made by the box and the ride quality with respect to his Vento TDI. He told that post 140 vento struggles to reach to speed, however 90HP when starts to deliver the power is delivered non stop acceleration till 4750 RPM which takes it 190KMPH without a fuss, and if you are on a little inclined road - you touch 200. I have touched it . Hyundai I20 CRDI is a old story now on the highways.

Also, F150 loved the output of the box with respect to his RD boxed swift which has a 75HP engine.

I have also added K&N and Pirelli P6000 (thanks to Amey for giving a GO for the tyre) to support the ride.

Its just drive it to beleive it.
scofield is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2012, 09:56   #5168
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post
I may be the only one in this thread to post this opinion - but at the risk of being flamed at, here goes - If I were you, I wouldn't do this.

Hmmm. Infact, I have done it. Cancelled a Swift ZDi booking and went for the Punto 90HP instead - but thats a different story altogether. It was going to be my only car, less of peak-city usage, it had to be fun - and it had to be a diesel hatch.

Your case is different. You already own the best FIAT in the range - for when you want the driving experience of a FIAT.

Swift ZDi, I can safely say offers 90% (Atleast 80%) of the Punto experience - but has a huge brand benefit in terms of service & resale value. Punto 90 would offer a significant advantage only on the highways - and if the usage is not mainly for the highways - is it worth having a second FIAT in the garage?
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2012, 10:32   #5169
Team-BHP Support

Thanks a lot, all you guys for the opinions. They really do help . Since this was going slightly OT with hijacking this thread for my purchase requirements, I have posted my query formally in this thread

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/hatchb...ml#post2859152

@crazydriver - I do agree with your post. It makes perfect sense. My only concern is the never-ending wait for the Swift and how much longer it will take before they get things going again.
@scofield - I will PM you sometime since I also wanted to get the RD box if I get the Punto 90Hp. I wanted to clarify a few doubts.

Last edited by KarthikK : 2nd August 2012 at 10:37.
Old 2nd August 2012, 21:04   #5170
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post

Punto Emoticon 75 bhp 768000 INR onroad Trivandrum last month. Cheaper than i20 Sportz, similarly priced to Swift ZDI, only a bit more expensive than Polo middle variant.
Old 2nd August 2012, 23:56   #5171
BHPian

The Punto 75 HP Emotion is cheaper than Swift ZDI, and Much cheaper by Polo and i20. And about the power of Punto 90, while coming from Pune on expressway my car without Much drama touched 160 Km/Hr am Sure Stock will Do 180 On speedo. IF Budget is not a problem go for 90 HP its awesome.
Old 10th August 2012, 12:51   #5172
Senior - BHPian

Spotted Mr.Enrico Atanasio, the new Fiat India MD at Hyson Motors, Thrissur today. Got to know from Hyson that they have "almost" got Fiat dealership rights for Palakkad, Thrissur and Cochin. The Thrissur Fiat showroom is coming up on Mannuthy bypass, the Cochin showroom is most probably going to be on the NH near Maradu.
Old 10th August 2012, 15:32   #5173
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scofield View Post
I agree to this as I have a Punto 90 hp and the RD box has just wonders.
I am currently researching Pete's and Racechip.De for my 90HP. What is a RD box?
Old 10th August 2012, 15:33   #5174
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedaltothefloor

I am currently researching Pete's and Racechip.De for my 90HP. What is a RD box?
It stands for Race Dynamics.
scofield is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2012, 15:35   #5175
BHPian

Thanks. How does it compare to Racechip and Pete's?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks