Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th August 2012, 19:13   #5236
Senior - BHPian

Change your wipers ASAP I was not able to do so immediately due time constraints and ended up scratching windshield of my Linea
Old 29th August 2012, 10:20   #5237
tud
BHPian

Re: Fiat Grande Punto : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkg77 View Post
Time for you to change the wipers, do you park your car in direct sunlight daily? The wipers have gone bad.
Yes at work and home, I dont have a covered park. Let me change the wiper blades it before its too late.
Old 29th August 2012, 10:57   #5238
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky View Post
It's probably because the AC drain tube is clogged or out of place.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prashant316 View Post
I can see 2 reasons of this happening.
1. The ac drain pipe is disconnected and is now dripping its water on ur carpet
2. There is a leakage for rainwater to get in

2nd seems unlikely. 1st is a 2 min job to fix. Just check for any loose pipes under the dashboard. Or take it to a mechanic.

To dry it, take the mat out in the sun and let it dry. If there is no Sun due to rain, keep it whereever you are drying your clothes. Let it dry naturally. It may take 2-3 days though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
Like a couple of others who suggested, the culprit here is the AC drain pipe. Its a quick fix at the Service Center. But do note to get a permanent sort of fix to ensure this does not repeat again.

You the wet/dry type vacuum cleaner to suck any water out first and then take the carpet out for drying.

Do post the pic of the wet carpet if possible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
A simple effective solution is to park the car under sun with all windows down and door open. If the timing and place is right - 2 to 3 hours would do the job [in Chennai]
Quote:
Originally Posted by muni View Post
AC drain pipe is the culprit.

I had the same problem and it happened a week after I bought the car. There is a design flaw and it seems quite a few number of people have faced this issue. Take it to the service center and they will fix it. get them to dry the water thoroughly which they wouldnt do. Make a little bit of noise and get them to attend to it on priority.

It happened to my car on the driver side footwell and went all the way till the rear passenger footwell and there was more than 2 litre of water
Thanks guys!

Have managed to dry the car in sunlight. Booked an appointment for 15k service next monday. I guess that should take care of it.

Below are the issues i need to highlight for this service-

1. Rattling from front left door. (Though I am not sure if they would be able to resolve it.)
2. The a/c drain pipe issue mentioned earlier.
3. Thud sound from the front suspension (May be a loose link rod as well. Although the frequency is much less compared to the last time i got this issue).

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 29th August 2012 at 11:10.
Old 29th August 2012, 19:47   #5239
Senior - BHPian

Returned from the 4th service with a 13.6 K bill and just noticed that the coolant is below the MIN level.

They changed the coolant . I am shocked ! Will post a pic soon.
Old 29th August 2012, 21:02   #5240
BHPian

Could anyone tell me if retrofitting the 2012 suspension kit into my 2011 GP90 also change the turning radius?
Old 29th August 2012, 21:45   #5241
Senior - BHPian

Can FIAT service get any worse than this ? Look at the coolant level after today's service - they changed the coolant and probably did not add any water ?? The level is well below the MIN mark.

How can they deliver a serviced car with a coolant below the MIN mark ?

I drove around 7km before I reached home and saw this , would this have caused any damage to the engine ? How should I handle this - I'll complain to FIAT but I wonder if it will be of any use.

The car was serviced by Concorde Diary Circle, Bangalore. There's no coolant leak btw.
Attached Thumbnails
Fiat Grande Punto : Test Drive & Review-img_2275.jpg  

Fiat Grande Punto : Test Drive & Review-img_2277.jpg  

Last edited by sdp1975 : 29th August 2012 at 22:04.
Old 29th August 2012, 22:27   #5242
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp1975 View Post
Returned from the 4th service with a 13.6 K bill and just noticed that the coolant is below the MIN level.
The same thing happened to my car after the last service. I talked to the SA and he told me that since they have drained the coolant and re-filled it, air pockets may be formed and after a few kms running, those would get filled, resulting in drop in the level in the coolant tank. He said it is safe to add distilled water and that's what I did to get it up between "min" and "max" levels.
StarrySky is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2012, 22:32   #5243
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky View Post
The same thing happened to my car after the last service. I talked to the SA and he told me that since they have drained the coolant and re-filled it, air pockets may be formed and after a few kms running, those would get filled, resulting in drop in the level in the coolant tank. He said it is safe to add distilled water and that's what I did to get it up between "min" and "max" levels.
Thanks for clarifying.

I'll have a word with the SA.

If they need to drive the car for few KM they should do that before handing it over to the customer, the fact is that the levels are well below the mark and that's not recommended !

Last edited by sdp1975 : 29th August 2012 at 22:39.
Old 30th August 2012, 02:23   #5244
Senior - BHPian

While going through Punto variants on CarWale, I realised that 90HP is available in Diesel as well as Petrol versions.
Can someone mention about the performance of the Petrol version as I think whatever praises I have come across are for Diesel version only (I may be wrong).
Sorry for such a noobish query.
Old 30th August 2012, 02:29   #5245
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carwatcher View Post
While going through Punto variants on CarWale, I realised that 90HP is available in Diesel as well as Petrol versions.
Can someone mention about the performance of the Petrol version as I think whatever praises I have come across are for Diesel version only (I may be wrong).
Errrr -1.4L Petrol 90PS was always available.
Its the same 1.4L NA engine as the Linea Petrol and performance is ordinary,nothing exceptional.

Last edited by akshay4587 : 30th August 2012 at 02:40.
Old 30th August 2012, 08:02   #5246
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Can FIAT service get any worse than this ? Look at the coolant level after today's service - they changed the coolant and probably did not add any water ?? The level is well below the MIN mark. How can they deliver a serviced car with a coolant below the MIN mark ?
Seems like a careless mistake, more of apathy towards the cars.

Quote:
I drove around 7km before I reached home and saw this , would this have caused any damage to the engine ? How should I handle this - I'll complain to FIAT but I wonder if it will be of any use.
The coolant level is not dangerously low, so it shouldn't have caused any issue at all, with such a low run of 7km. Even if the shortage did affect the cooling, your temperature gauge would have been the best indicator if the needle was above the halfway mark. You can get it topped up the next time you take out your car.

Quote:
The car was serviced by Concorde Diary Circle, Bangalore. There's no coolant leak btw.
One of my friends who got his Punto serviced at Concorde, Dairy circle was also dissatisfied with the quality of service. They had goofed up on the rattle fixing somewhere and not fitted back the parts properly, resulting in even more rattles! Service centres like these are what bring the infamous bad name to Fiat's servicing quality.

From what I have heard/experienced, there are only 2 good authorized service centres in Bangalore :
- Prerana, hosur road, Kudlu gate. Surendra and Sateesh, both are superb guys here, quite knowledgeable and very helpful
- Concorde. rajarajeshwari nagar, Mysore road - heard that they are also very professional - lots of BHPians go here.

Try to stick to the good service centres even if you need to travel a little extra, since anyway the service is annually just once.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carwatcher View Post
Performance of the petrol version is nothing to write home about. Like akshay mentioned, its the same engine in the NA petrol Linea. It is really sluggish, and needs to be worked to extract the power. The Punto petrol 90 is a really heavy car with more than 1.1 tons kerb weight for a petrol hatch! Ridiculous. This just adds to the sluggishness. The Swift ZXi has similar specs and weighs ~200kgs lesser.

Last edited by KarthikK : 30th August 2012 at 08:26.
KarthikK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2012, 08:39   #5247
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
Errrr -1.4L Petrol 90PS was always available.
Its the same 1.4L NA engine as the Linea Petrol and performance is ordinary,nothing exceptional.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post
Performance of the petrol version is nothing to write home about. Like akshay mentioned, its the same engine in the NA petrol Linea. It is really sluggish, and needs to be worked to extract the power. The Punto petrol 90 is a really heavy car with more than 1.1 tons kerb weight for a petrol hatch! Ridiculous. This just adds to the sluggishness. The Swift ZXi has similar specs and weighs ~200kgs lesser.
I beg to differ here - If One keeps the revs between 4500 rpm and 7000 rpm, then one wont be disappointed with the Petrol Fiats
headers is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th August 2012, 09:06   #5248
Senior - BHPian

Thanks KarthiKK. I've sent a strongly worded mail to FIAT with the links of these pics on t-bhp. I don't think anything will happen out of it.

Even otherwise, I'm not happy with the cost of service and labor. The 4th paid service cost me 13.6K.There were problems with the front elastic pads that would've cost around 6k ( incl labor ). The issue with elastic pads is a known one with several cars but they refused to change it since the car has done 38K - I've deferred this and raised this with FIAT. The rear RH shock was making some noise and they asked me replace it for around 3K, that I've deferred for now.

If I'd changed the pads+shock my bill would've reached 22K or so ! I'll have to find a private garage in the next service, when my car will be out of warranty.

A car good to drive, but not easy on the pocket .

Last edited by sdp1975 : 30th August 2012 at 09:08.
Old 30th August 2012, 09:08   #5249
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
they changed the coolant and probably did not add any water ??
Is this a Punto? Which year is this car from? From the image the coolant tank seems to be located towards the firewall. It used to be located up front and right above the radiator. This is quite a change they have made and will require a lot of re routing of water pipes.
Old 30th August 2012, 09:12   #5250
Senior - BHPian

Yes, it's a Oct 2009 MJD E+ Punto. I don't know if the later batches have a different location for the coolant tank.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks