Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th July 2012, 02:03   #5131

Re: Fiat Grande Punto : Test Drive & Review

Has any of the 90HP owners felt a jerk at 3500rpm in their cars? My car is around 1800 km, due to the run in period, I never used rev my car beyond 3000 rpm until recently. This jerk is mainly felt in 1st gear, sometimes I do feel it in 2nd gear as well (3500 rpm again), but the feeling muffled.
Old 26th July 2012, 11:30   #5132
BHPian

A little more detail will help. The Punto has very short 1st and 2nd gear. What were you driving prior to this?

Also, do check if all the 3 pedals are aligned or if the clutch is higher/lower compared to the other two.
Old 26th July 2012, 12:06   #5133
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akm225 View Post
Has any of the 90HP owners felt a jerk at 3500rpm in their cars? My car is around 1800 km, due to the run in period, I never used rev my car beyond 3000 rpm until recently. This jerk is mainly felt in 1st gear, sometimes I do feel it in 2nd gear as well (3500 rpm again), but the feeling muffled.
In second gear, if you rev the car till 3500 rpm and leave the throttle suddenly, yes the car will jerk. Its normal for all diesel engines. The first and second gear have very short ratios. Better shift to second by 2000 rpm.
Old 26th July 2012, 13:02   #5134

The jerk is felt under constant acceleration of the vehicle. I apply throttle linearly, when the engine reaches 3500 rpm there is this slight jolt felt, then engine continues to rev beyond.

I understand where my statement caused confusion. No, the jerk isn't when I try moving the vehicle from a stand still, nor is it because I'm letting go of the throttle at 3500 rpm.

I did read from somewhere that the wastegate opens up at about that rpm, could it be because of this?
Old 27th July 2012, 09:32   #5135
Senior - BHPian

I have a Punto 1.4 Petrol Emotion Pack. I have a few queries.

1) The ride has been choppy and a bit wobbly of late. what should be the optimal Tyre pressure? Emotion pack means I have the R15 Tyres I guess.

2) My fuel efficiency is stuck at around 11.5kmpl. Owing to the higher petrol prices, its really started to pinch. Any tips to improve efficiency?

3) The air-conditioning in this delhi heat is a little under powered or so it seems. if the car is powering along, its very efficient and I can feel the compressor turning on nd cooling the entire cabin. But in stop gap traffic, the compressor just cuts off. It does get embarrassing when you're with other people :( I have the new upgraded A/C kit. Any solution for this?

Thanks.

Last edited by coolkurt : 27th July 2012 at 09:36.
Old 27th July 2012, 16:39   #5136
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akm225 View Post
The jerk is felt under constant acceleration of the vehicle. I apply throttle linearly, when the engine reaches 3500 rpm there is this slight jolt felt, then engine continues to rev beyond.

I understand where my statement caused confusion. No, the jerk isn't when I try moving the vehicle from a stand still, nor is it because I'm letting go of the throttle at 3500 rpm.

I did read from somewhere that the wastegate opens up at about that rpm, could it be because of this?
A similar problem was faced by one another Manza owner (motomaverick) on this forum considering that the Manza and Punto 90HP engines are the same.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2710902
Old 27th July 2012, 16:53   #5137
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkurt View Post
I have a Punto 1.4 Petrol Emotion Pack. I have a few queries.

1) The ride has been choppy and a bit wobbly of late. what should be the optimal Tyre pressure? Emotion pack means I have the R15 Tyres I guess.

2) My fuel efficiency is stuck at around 11.5kmpl. Owing to the higher petrol prices, its really started to pinch. Any tips to improve efficiency?

3) The air-conditioning in this delhi heat is a little under powered or so it seems. if the car is powering along, its very efficient and I can feel the compressor turning on nd cooling the entire cabin. But in stop gap traffic, the compressor just cuts off. It does get embarrassing when you're with other people :( I have the new upgraded A/C kit. Any solution for this?

Thanks.
1) Manual recommends 32psi for all tyres as cold inflation pressure.
33psi all round is an optimal pressure at full load.

2) 11.5 (from your post, I asuume it to be city driving with AC) for a 1.4 is a good FE
It pinches alright but you have saved yourself from a punch when you initially purchased it.
I don't know your running but if it is more than 1500 a month, its time to change your 3 year old car for a diesel

3) Was the AC like this from the begining? if not. please get the AC gas levels checked and all the lines cleaned.
hemanth.anand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2012, 00:26   #5138
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
1) Manual recommends 32psi for all tyres as cold inflation pressure.
33psi all round is an optimal pressure at full load.
Manual recommends 29 psi for a light load and 32 psi for full load. Kindly re-check.
DRIV3R is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2012, 16:19   #5139
BHPian

Cost of Paraflu?

Hi Few months back I had a leaking engine coolant in my Punto, and later it was fixed. But the service center guys suggested that I use water instead of paraflu, for a while as if it leaks again the paraflu goes waste. But I have been ignoring to refill the paraflu/water mixture since then. Is fiat recommended paraflu available outside without requiring me to take it to service center. Any idea what is the cost?
Old 30th July 2012, 16:32   #5140
Senior - BHPian

Re: Cost of Paraflu?

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsan02 View Post
Hi Few months back I had a leaking engine coolant in my Punto, and later it was fixed. But the service center guys suggested that I use water instead of paraflu, for a while as if it leaks again the paraflu goes waste. But I have been ignoring to refill the paraflu/water mixture since then. Is fiat recommended paraflu available outside without requiring me to take it to service center. Any idea what is the cost?
I had the same problem and the service centre folks did a good job of fixing it. The problem was understood only after they put the car on the hydraulic lift, I don't remember the exact details but the bill mentioned something about EGR.

You can buy Paraflu over the counter, it costs about 300, after diluting it you get about 2.5lts of coolant which is a lot. Dont use water, the engine is designed to run with coolant. Remember that warranty does not cover damages incurred by incorrect fluid levels, the manual instructs you to check the fluid levels before a long trip i.e occassionally. Once the coolant leak is repaired the level should not go below minimum, if it does there is something wrong - I know that from experience.
Old 30th July 2012, 17:05   #5141
BHPian

Tomtom Via 120 for my Grande Punto

Can someone suggest if Tomtom will be good fit for my Grande Punto...it's a 90HP Emotion pack loaded with Blue And ME. So I am not very keen on devices with Bluetooth or phone functions.

Suggestions on any other model are also welcome
Old 30th July 2012, 19:32   #5142
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
Manual recommends 29 psi for a light load and 32 psi for full load. Kindly re-check.
Yes sir, I agree. I was only talking about full load in my earlier post.
The 32 psi is cold inflation pressure and it also recommends to increase it a bit for warm conditions.
Considering the temperatures In our cities and the accuracy of the pumps, I always ask for 33psi

Quote:
Originally Posted by nixie89 View Post
Can someone suggest if Tomtom will be good fit for my Grande Punto
by "good fit" do you mean you want to install it somewhere near the HU?
Otherwise, IMO Map my India has the best coverage of India.
ZX140 or even LX140 is a good choice
Old 31st July 2012, 10:39   #5143
BHPian

I have no intentions to mess up with the wiring or HU...instead looking for an add-on plug n play device
Old 31st July 2012, 19:13   #5144
BHPian

I'm trying to connect my BlackBerry handset with the car's Blue&Me, but it is not accepting any of the pairing codes. What is the bluetooth pairing code of Grande Punto's Blue & Me system?
Old 31st July 2012, 19:27   #5145
BHPian

Hi Sankalp,

The pairing code will be visible on the Punto's MID, you have to enter the same code on your phone. Make sure that you enable the bluetooth pairing on B&M and then search for the bluetooth device from BB.

If you are still unable to pair then you will have to disconnect the battery terminal and wait for few minutes and then reconnect the terminals. Try again to connect to B&M.

In my case the B&M stopped working as this was the first sign of my battery getting weak. After few weeks I had trouble in starting the car, I replaced the battery and the B&M started working with my BB Curve.

Hope this helps.

-PK

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks