Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st July 2013, 10:47   #5911
Senior - BHPian

Re: Fiat Grande Punto : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaudh2s View Post
In my opinion you should hold onto your tires if the treadwear indicators have not yet surfaced. The original goodyear's from factory would last close to 50k KM's. The 2 tires with the most tread depth should be put in the rear (contrary to someone in the previous posts suggested putting them in the front). Putting tires with more tread depth in the rear is more safe, as it's easier to control a front skid than a rear skid.( I read this somewhere on TEAM-BHP or ACI-don't remember exactly).
True, better tyres at the rear will be a safer option.

But the idea here is to regain a balanced tyre wear pattern, for which the worse tyres will need to be put up front.

But like I said, if the difference between any two is significantly high its best to throw all 4 out at once. Because at the end the best situation is to have 4 tyres with similar levels of wear. I dont favour the idea of changing only two tyres at a time.
Old 1st July 2013, 11:24   #5912
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaudh2s View Post
In my opinion you should hold onto your tires if the treadwear indicators have not yet surfaced. The original goodyear's from factory would last close to 50k KM's. The 2 tires with the most tread depth should be put in the rear (contrary to someone in the previous posts suggested putting them in the front). Putting tires with more tread depth in the rear is more safe, as it's easier to control a front skid than a rear skid.( I read this somewhere on TEAM-BHP or ACI-don't remember exactly).
That's true, thanks for pointing out that safety aspect to coolkurt's attention. Myself (and even julupani) were hinting at using the lesser worn tyres on the front purely from the perspective of balancing the amount of wear on all 4 tyres. Of course, like I suggested, the best option is to replace all 4 tyres at 1 shot rather than do it in pairs and struggle with permutations and combinations.

Just to add to what you said, here's another interesting read on the same topic:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=52

Last edited by KarthikK : 1st July 2013 at 11:28.
KarthikK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2013, 20:59   #5913
Senior - BHPian

Thanks everyone. I was looking to balance it out before I change.
Old 5th July 2013, 15:25   #5914
BHPian

One of my Punto's acceleres had a sidewall puncture and needed to be replaced last week. As I was feeling the financial crunch for the month I just bought one tyre and then put that and the unused spare (thankfully full sized) at the rear. The other tyres are also worn out, and will be replaced by the end of the month.

I am going to keep a medium worn one as the spare.
Old 7th July 2013, 11:17   #5915
BHPian

Hey guys, I am contemplating buying an emotion punto diesel. I just want to know as compared to figo, which has an awesome air conditioner but no climate control,how does punto's ac fair. I just want an assurance about punto's AC as i stay in guwahati which is super humid in summers. Fantastic Ac is actually my first preference.
Please help.
thanks

Last edited by blurust : 7th July 2013 at 11:23.
Old 7th July 2013, 11:37   #5916
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blurust View Post
How does punto's ac fair.
thanks
Can't comment as a owner as I am yet to buy, however I took first test drive of Punto in Peak Summer of Central India (42 deg, outside) and the car chilled in just 5 minutes drive. (Emotion 1.3 MJD). It even has a dedicated vent for rear passengers.
Another hatch that impressed me on ac is Micra.
Old 7th July 2013, 11:38   #5917
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Hey guys, I am contemplating buying an emotion punto diesel. I just want to know as compared to figo, which has an awesome air conditioner but no climate control,how does punto's ac fair. I just want an assurance about punto's AC as i stay in guwahati which is super humid in summers. Fantastic Ac is actually my first preference.
Please help.
thanks
Speaking from personal experience, Punto's AC is a decent chiller - I drive this car for 4 hours every weekday with AC on throughout, most of the days against direct sunlight . It cools the cabin satisfactorily even on hot days - so efficient that I usually leave the blower speed on at just 1/10 or 2/10 bars. Perhaps you should try it yourself by taking a test drive once, as I'm not sure how extreme the heat or humidity can be in that region.

Last edited by KarthikK : 7th July 2013 at 11:41.
Old 7th July 2013, 11:43   #5918
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post
Speaking from personal experience, Punto's AC is a decent chiller - I drive this car for 4 hours every weekday with AC on throughout most of the days against direct sunlight . It cools the cabin satisfactorily even on hot days. Perhaps you should try it yourself by taking a test drive once, as I'm not sure how extreme the heat or humidity can be in that region.
Does anybody know the A/C compressor rating in the punto, like for Figo everybody knows its a 150 cc compressor. But then again even in my In Law's petrol figo, In Bumper to Bumper traffic Air conditioner does become useles, God knows What to do. I wish I could afford a tjet (dream Car south of ten lakhs) like you which has a lovely air conditioner.
Well I recently shifted here from bangalore and I thought in bangalore my getz's AC performed reasonably well, but only for the driver and the passenger, people sitting behind always cursed me. Here its a different story altogether. My in Law's also drive XUV and the AC in there is awesome. I did take a test drive, but could not check the air conditioner as it was an overcast day.

Last edited by blurust : 7th July 2013 at 11:48.
Old 7th July 2013, 12:17   #5919
Senior - BHPian

Can any 1.3 mjd powered Punto owners tell me what is the MID display of fuel consumed (lts/hr) during idling with ac on and off.
Old 7th July 2013, 12:24   #5920
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by goandude View Post
Can any 1.3 mjd powered Punto owners tell me what is the MID display of fuel consumed (lts/hr) during idling with ac on and off.
Sir, it is not possible to directly measure this on the MID as far as I know. Do you mean Instantaneous consumption figures?? IC display will show a ----- when the car is stationary . If I coast in neutral at say 30-40 kmph (closest to the situation you want to know about), I see the IC fluctuating and settling somewhere between 12 and 14 kmpl with the AC on.

MID figures for the tripmeters A and B will show the efficiencies for the distances in A and B, and will not give an accurate figure of idling efficiency. If I reset the trip, the display will show a ----- until the trip distance reaches 2 km.

EDIT - litres per hour?? I thought the only units available were km per litre and litres per 100 km.

Last edited by KarthikK : 7th July 2013 at 12:41.
Old 7th July 2013, 12:47   #5921
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have heard from a fellow member on an other forum that the MJD consumes just 570ml of fuel for idling with AC for an hour.

EDIT: Here is a link from T BHP itself.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post3061463

Last edited by DRIV3R : 7th July 2013 at 12:56.
DRIV3R is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th July 2013, 16:17   #5922
BHPian

Quote:
Please help.
thanks
Mine just about manages Chennai days when I take it there. The blower has to be at 4/5 when it's sunny so that people at the back get some cooling.. Mine is 2010 Oct mjd. In Bangalore I never had to go above 2 in blower speed. In fact with the sun films out I doubt any hatch is capable of handling the brutal heat of Chennai. Not sure how guwahati compares to Chennai.
sbkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2013, 16:54   #5923
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbkumar View Post

Mine just about manages Chennai days when I take it there. The blower has to be at 4/5 when it's sunny so that people at the back get some cooling.. Mine is 2010 Oct mjd. In Bangalore I never had to go above 2 in blower speed. In fact with the sun films out I doubt any hatch is capable of handling the brutal heat of Chennai. Not sure how guwahati compares to Chennai.
OT:
Its been a nightmare for us in Chennai since the Govt. banned sun films!
The scorching heat takes the toll no matter how cold you set your A/C.
The A/C of the Figo easily chills the cabin within minutes even in Chennai's peak summer! But, keeping the fan speed in 2 points and above doesn't help always. It is the lowest speed in which you can actually feel the chillness, it may take time to cool but, it will be effective.
Old 7th July 2013, 18:33   #5924
BHPian

Quote:
MID display doesn't show reading on idling but I have read somewhere in teambhp itself that Multijet has lowest fuel consumption that is 570ml of diesel per hour with AC on in idling.
Old 7th July 2013, 23:04   #5925
BHPian

Quote:
Please help.
thanks
I have a Punto Emotion 2012, the AC is a chiller nearly as good as the Figo's. I think the AC is better in the Emotion variant which has the ACC, and it was one of the improvements they made to the 2012 car (apart from raised suspension etc).

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks