Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th June 2013, 06:13   #5866
Senior - BHPian

Re: Fiat Grande Punto : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkurt View Post
I read on carwale that there's an ecu update too that fixes intermittent cutoff of compressor.

Any ideas how I can go about handling the issue? Whom can I approach?
Nowadays too much incorrect information is available on the internet.

The best bet is your service centre who knows what to do, especially if under extended warranty. Sadly, the honesty and integrity of some individuals especially the SA gets reflected here.

Escalate the matter to the service head at fiat and the service centre. They should do it FOC
headers is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th June 2013, 09:00   #5867
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Nowadays too much incorrect information is available on the internet.

The best bet is your service centre who knows what to do, especially if under extended warranty. Sadly, the honesty and integrity of some individuals especially the SA gets reflected here.

Escalate the matter to the service head at fiat and the service centre. They should do it FOC
I also believe that it is the kale radiator fan that is the culprit but the service folk are not ready to accept it. I have written a stinker mail to fiat service. Lets hope they resolve the issue.

The callous attitude of the folks at kashyap okhla is disappointing. I was charged Rs 3000 for changing O rings which did nothing to solve my problem while ive been maintaining that there was no leakage and the problem lied with the fan. They did NOT even provide me a BILL " sir printer is not working!" Bull****. They gave me a handwritten slip. Despite repeated calls, they have not mailed me the copy of the bill as promised. Sheer callousness. What a pathetic attitude. Fiat Service was better when they were with Tata.
Old 11th June 2013, 11:53   #5868
BANNED

To check yourself or to demonstrate to kashyap(or fiat) your faulty high speed fan, what you should do is: after driving around for 15-20 minutes
bring your car to a halt and switch off the ac. The fan would now work only when engine heats up sufficiently. If it is already not running, rev your engine for 2-3 minutes
(you can take help of a friend) and the fan should start running at low speed. Now ask your friend to switch on the ac, and there should be a marked change in the speed and noise of the fan.
If any thing of the above is not happening, you can bring it to fiat' notice and they should not have a problem replacing it. Hope it works for you.
chaudh2s is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2013, 19:26   #5869
Senior - BHPian

Finally. I mailed Fiat. That got them to stand up and take notice. They pulled up the folks at kashyap okhla. The service manager Dharmendra Jha personally overlooked the niggles. Adjustments and changing of relay etc. Then he came along for a test drive. Pretty decent chap. Knows his stuff. Finally experienced the kind of service one ought to expect.

Now I'm finally happy with the airconditioning. All's well that ends well.
coolkurt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th June 2013, 20:36   #5870
BHPian

Quote:
Finally. I mailed Fiat. That got them to stand up and take notice. They pulled up the folks at kashyap okhla. The service manager Dharmendra Jha personally overlooked the niggles. Adjustments and changing of relay etc. Then he came along for a test drive. Pretty decent chap. Knows his stuff. Finally experienced the kind of service one ought to expect.

Now I'm finally happy with the airconditioning. All's well that ends well.
Its good to know that your problem is finally resolved after mailing fiat .Its been general observation that fiat do listens to customers when complained,it would been better if the service is streamlined to serve the customer at the cutting edge itself -workshop level itself.
regards
praveen singh
Old 14th June 2013, 17:33   #5871
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

Reported Fuel Efficiency:

• 1.3 Diesel : 13.6 (City) / 17.1 (Highway)
• 1.4 Petrol : 9.7 (City) / 13.5 (Highway)
• 1.2 Petrol : 10.4 (City) / 13.8 (Highway)
Hey GTO,

This came to my mind after a buyer, a close friend of mine, was rather unimpressed with the figures and "referred" me to this thread. He did not know I was a BHPian . Now I was wondering, since this is a 2009 observation, and lot many user experiences have been added, would it make sense to change or update these values with numbers based on cumulative and recent reports?

Except of course, if the "reported" figures are realistic already, by public opinion!

A prospective buyer looking for reviews on the net, would definitely bump across your review on the first page of the thread and it will be great if he gets the latest reports on the official review. It would be more than confusing, to scour through 392 plus pages to arrive at a conclusion!

Last edited by lapis_lazuli : 14th June 2013 at 17:40.
lapis_lazuli is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th June 2013, 08:13   #5872
Senior - BHPian

I own a 1.4 Petrol so I can say that the fuel efficiency figures are more in the range of :
11.5 city/ 14 highway
It's better than what I expected after reading the estimates 4 years ago, but it's started to pinch now, going by the current fuel prices. As well as the fact that my Civic is more efficient.
It's looks and the fun to drive quotient is what's keeping me from selling it off.
Old 17th June 2013, 08:28   #5873
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I own a 1.4 Petrol so I can say that the fuel efficiency figures are more in the range of :
11.5 city/ 14 highway
It's better than what I expected after reading the estimates 4 years ago, but it's started to pinch now, going by the current fuel prices. As well as the fact that my Civic is more efficient.
It's looks and the fun to drive quotient is what's keeping me from selling it off.
I second these figures about the 1.4 Petrol.

I get about 11.5 in the city and 15 on the highway. The highway figures are considering speeds in the 100-120 range. In speeds are maintained at a more sedate 80-100 range, highway mileage improve to about 16.5kmpl.

The efficiency improved after about 18000kms, and probably has also been helped a bit by the Michelin PLCs. In the first year, it was tough to breach even 10 in city usage.

Overall, I have been pleasantly surprised by the figures.
Old 17th June 2013, 09:21   #5874
Senior - BHPian

I have the 1.3MJD (90HP) and the figure of 13.6 for city driving is quite close to what I actually get with 100% AC (13.5-14). My city trip is usually just going to office, which is a ~6km trip (one-way) with one major junction in between.

The highway figure of 17.1, however, is much lower than what I usually get (20+). During my Cochin-Thrissur trips, even if I am stuck in traffic at some places and drive a bit faster, accelerate hard etc at other places to compensate, I seldom go below 18 (with 100% AC, of course).
Old 17th June 2013, 14:55   #5875
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapis_lazuli View Post
Hey GTO,

Now I was wondering, since this is a 2009 observation, and lot many user experiences have been added, would it make sense to change or update these values with numbers based on cumulative and recent reports?
I have been driving 1.3 MJD (75BHP) for past 4 months and I get following:
  • 15-17 kmpl in City (bumper to bumper with 90% of ACC on) - daily drive of about 25 kms one way
  • 19-21 kmpl on Highway (100% ACC on) - I have had only 2 highway trips - one on Pune Mumbay via expressway and to South of Pune on NH4.

PS: Current odometer is ~5000 kms!
dmplog is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2013, 13:02   #5876
Senior - BHPian

Let me add my figures too:
Car - 1.3 MJD

City - 11.5 (heavy bumper to bumper traffic, multiple traffic lights and blocks) - 17 (moderate traffic)

Highway - 18 (Bangalore to Kerala, fairly high speed driving) - 22.5 (Bangalore to Kerala, max speed 120 kmph)

OT: The best mileage I could get till date was 27.5 (From bommanahalli to Chennai outskirts (Virugambakkam flyover) - 5 am start with very less traffic, most of the time the speed was around 80 ~ 90 kmph, occasionally visiting the 100 kmph mark.

All the trips are with 100% AC.
theexperthand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2013, 12:20   #5877
Senior - BHPian

I have a 2009 MJD E variant. Its run about 84.5K. The turbo was replaced last month under extended warranty (reason for turbo failure was not identified).

About a week back, I got a message "Insuff. Engine Oil Pressure" on the MID immediately after starting the engine. I shut down the engine then, and restarted after sometime - the message did not re-appear. I took it to the workshop the same day (Vecto Motors, Bangalore) - the works guy checked using the OBD reader, and found that there wasn't anything wrong. (Last time he used the reader and said nothing was wrong, but later found out that the turbo wasn't working). I get quite some white smoke and a burning smell (smell of oil burning) when switching on the engine - it disappears in a second or so.

Has anyone faced a similar issue? The works guy said its a "common problem" with Puntos (the oil pressure warning). I do not want to blow another turbo - so would like to know if there is something wrong with the engine oil system on the whole?
Old 20th June 2013, 13:00   #5878
BHPian

It seems any problem which they are unable to diagnose to the underlying issue they would pronounce as common problem.I have not faced such issues and its first time i come to know of such problems.Blame it on poor wherewithals on part of the mechanics in particular and service of TASS in general ,my take is get it thoroughly checked from FASS as soon as possible
regards
praveen singh
Old 20th June 2013, 14:17   #5879
BHPian

White smoke should ring some warning bells. It should be checked immediately. Are the oil levels normal? Ask them to check the oil pump as well. I forgot yours is a diesel vehicle and listed something else. Was the car driven in the rains? Ask them to do a compression test also since white smoke will be observed if the engine has low compression.

Last edited by Arch-Angel : 20th June 2013 at 14:22.
Old 20th June 2013, 15:52   #5880
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaiks View Post
I have a 2009 MJD E variant. Its run about 84.5K. The turbo was replaced last month under extended warranty (reason for turbo failure was not identified).

About a week back, I got a message "Insuff. Engine Oil Pressure" on the MID immediately after starting the engine. I shut down the engine then, and restarted after sometime - the message did not re-appear. I took it to the workshop the same day (Vecto Motors, Bangalore) - the works guy checked using the OBD reader, and found that there wasn't anything wrong. (Last time he used the reader and said nothing was wrong, but later found out that the turbo wasn't working). I get quite some white smoke and a burning smell (smell of oil burning) when switching on the engine - it disappears in a second or so.

Has anyone faced a similar issue? The works guy said its a "common problem" with Puntos (the oil pressure warning). I do not want to blow another turbo - so would like to know if there is something wrong with the engine oil system on the whole?
Boss: Turbos do not blow easily - The SA has no clue how to check / rectify issues:

Please go inside the workshop when they connect the OBD, ask them to run all tests - It would pin point the actual point of concern and give you a printout as well.

Ofcourse, all this is possible if the service technician understands how to use the OBD scan tool.

Please check engine compression values.

Last edited by headers : 20th June 2013 at 15:53.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks