Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd April 2013, 16:49   #5731
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Fiat Grande Punto : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
Mine is a White punto 12 with red caps.
they are already painted ones and I know how poor the dealer paint work is.
The White caps which were factory painted ones that came with my car are safe at home.

Eyesore...hmmm because I already know they are there, The scratches look really bad to me

Tata dealers are bad no matter how much time you give them

Will have to visit Vecto soon and enquire
Sai colorium is the tried and tested...and the best option I guess
Thanks for your suggestion KarthikK, I did think of it but having seen both of them in flesh, CF and chrome caps did not impress me...atleast for my Abarth.

4 options currently in my head are
  1. Get a black cover and get it painted by dealer/elsewhere
  2. Get a black cover and get it stickered
  3. Find a total loss red punto and try to get the mirror caps somehow
  4. Find someone who is willing to sell his red mirror caps
I'll post the updates as and when it happens

If you are going ahead with sai colorium then i strongly suggest that you ask them to cover your complete car with news papers. Though their paint quality and matching is good they are very terrible with masking. My i20 had paint over sprays all over the body .Had to get it professionally detailed using a tough clay bar to get it removed!

To be on safer side, wash you car completely before going there. Ask the SA to run his hands all over the car to get the idea of the paint smoothness. After the work is complete , run your hands on all the panels to see if you feel any roughness on the panels! If yes, then its paint overspray!
sagarpadaki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2013, 17:43   #5732
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post

If you are going ahead with sai colorium then i strongly suggest that you ask them to cover your complete car with news papers.
Thanks for your concern and sorry to hear about your car but since the mirror caps can be separated I don't have to leave my car there.
Old 22nd April 2013, 19:27   #5733
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
By spares, are we talking maintenance? If so, it is the Liva which is the cheapest to maintain.
The Europeans are totally out of the picture when it comes to "cheap" (price-wise).

I was guessing it would be the Vista that's cheaper to maintain in terms of spare part prices.
Old 23rd April 2013, 09:06   #5734
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
Thanks for your concern and sorry to hear about your car but since the mirror caps can be separated I don't have to leave my car there.
Thats great! But i think they would want your car for the color matching atleast! And do mention to them which part of the car you want to match. For example,whether you want the white paint on the mirror to match with the fender, door or the bonnet. Otherwise they will match it with whatever part they feel like and it may result in the color mismatch. Telling all this with personal experience. I have went through the pain of the mismatch because i did not tell them to match it with a particular part(They expect this! Thats what the told me when i pointed them about the color mismatch!). If you want it to be perfect, specify every detail to them!
sagarpadaki is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2013, 09:35   #5735
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thats great! But i think they would want your car for the color matching atleast!
specify every detail to them!
Hi Sagar, Thanks for the pointers - it will be sure helpful for someone going to Sai.
Hemant have a white Punto and he is getting his mirror caps painted red, so I think there will be no issue of paint matching.

--Anoop
theexperthand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2013, 09:55   #5736
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thats great! But i think they would want your car for the color matching atleast! And do mention to them which part of the car you want to match. For example,whether you want the white paint on the mirror to match with the fender, door or the bonnet. Otherwise they will match it with whatever part they feel like and it may result in the color mismatch. Telling all this with personal experience. I have went through the pain of the mismatch because i did not tell them to match it with a particular part(They expect this! Thats what the told me when i pointed them about the color mismatch!). If you want it to be perfect, specify every detail to them!
Good piece of advice there Sagar! I'll definitely pass on this to anyone I know visiting Sai for any paint work.

Hemanth may not be affected by the color matching problem in this case though. If you have observed his car, he has the Abarth theme where only the mirrors and Abarth decals are red. The rest of his car is Bossa nova white. His mirrors are the only parts which need painting, and as long as those 2 mirrors are of the same color, it should not matter .
KarthikK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2013, 11:04   #5737
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Yeah, I got mine running strong at 71xxx kms [May 2010] Emotion Pack running Yoko C drives.
Was it the first set of tyres?
Old 23rd April 2013, 11:34   #5738
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mempheS.D View Post
The Europeans are totally out of the picture when it comes to "cheap" (price-wise).

I was guessing it would be the Vista that's cheaper to maintain in terms of spare part prices.
Not really. The Vista's maintenance is cheaper when it is the TDi engine. When we talk Vista Quadrajet, it is no different from the Punto MJD or the Swift DDiS. These MJD's require changes of Fuel filters every service which itself cost 1.8K, whereas the Liva uses a lifetime Fuel Filter which need not be replaced at every service. This is just one example, there are many other factors which the make the Liva the cheapest to maintain.

The actual 1st service (technically second service) of the Punto costs 5.2k INR.
DRIV3R is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2013, 12:35   #5739
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
Not really. The Vista's maintenance is cheaper when it is the TDi engine. When we talk Vista Quadrajet, it is no different from the Punto MJD or the Swift DDiS. These MJD's require changes of Fuel filters every service which itself cost 1.8K, whereas the Liva uses a lifetime Fuel Filter which need not be replaced at every service. This is just one example, there are many other factors which the make the Liva the cheapest to maintain.

The actual 1st service (technically second service) of the Punto costs 5.2k INR.
Yes, the diesel filter in Liva need not be replaced at every service. But with the quality of diesel and the decade engine design is also helping to keep the costs down.

Does the fuel filter in Liva has a water separator?
Old 24th April 2013, 05:46   #5740
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffHanger View Post

Was it the first set of tyres?
No, OEM set lasted 4xxxx Kms
Old 24th April 2013, 08:13   #5741
BHPian

Guys, need your help. I'm having trouble with my car's LHS front door sensor. It remains open always.

Details here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post3101465

Has anybody faced a similar kind of issue? I'll be able to visit the service center only on Saturday. Any pointers/suggestions are welcome.
Old 24th April 2013, 13:43   #5742
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBrad View Post
Guys, need your help. I'm having trouble with my car's LHS front door sensor. It remains open always.

Has anybody faced a similar kind of issue? I'll be able to visit the service center only on Saturday. Any pointers/suggestions are welcome.
The fact that your MID is displaying the "door open" message suggests that there is no wiring/electrical issue. As far as I know, when the sensors go kaput, the MID will not complain when the doors are opened. The detection is possible means the sensors are working

The problem is more likely to be :

- Ill-fitted door-open sensors OR
- Panel gap in the door assembly

Either of those could cause the sensor to be unaffected by (not detecting properly) a closed door. I suggest you get the problem rectified at a service centre.

Last edited by KarthikK : 24th April 2013 at 13:56.
KarthikK is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th April 2013, 14:42   #5743
BHPian

Thanks for your inputs Karthik. I tried searching for a physical button that gets pushed in as we close the door and saw a small hole with a button like thing in it. This button had a slight spring action and I tried pushing it to no avail, the indicator in console was still there.

There was another bigger button like thing at the bottom part which was made of black rubber material. That one looked like as if it was meant for some other purpose. Both of these were on the car body and not on door frame.

Anyways, will get it checked at the service center this weekend. I'll mention your points so that they can do a quick diagnosis. I have a strong suspicion that the culprit will most likely be the door open sensors as you mentioned. Thanks again Karthik, appreciate it.
Old 24th April 2013, 15:50   #5744
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBrad View Post
Thanks for your inputs Karthik. I tried searching for a physical button that gets pushed in ....big black button
The bigger black button should be part of the door insulation i think. There is one sensor and an actuating mechanism for the central locking. This sensor is what is linked to the other doors' sensors and this tells the electronics in the car that the door is ajar, and the individual sensor should give you information on the MID regarding which door is open. The sensor is giving the correct information regarding the door being ajar. I feel the guys at the service centre must know what to do here since the actual issue is with the central locking actuator from what i can infer.

Experts can throw more light on how it works though. Hope the issue gets sorted out Brad.
Old 24th April 2013, 21:17   #5745
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch-Angel View Post
The bigger black button should be part of the door insulation i think. There is one sensor and an actuating mechanism for the central locking. This sensor is what is linked to the other doors' sensors and this tells the electronics in the car that the door is ajar, and the individual sensor should give you information on the MID regarding which door is open. The sensor is giving the correct information regarding the door being ajar. I feel the guys at the service centre must know what to do here since the actual issue is with the central locking actuator from what i can infer.

Experts can throw more light on how it works though. Hope the issue gets sorted out Brad.
Thanks for your inputs buddy. So, its probably the LHS front door sensor that's at fault. I was also of the same assumption. I think the service technicians can easily get this sorted out.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks