Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th February 2013, 15:54   #5581
Senior - BHPian

Re: Fiat Grande Punto : Test Drive & Review

How many speakers does the Punto have? 4 or 6? Anybody has any idea about the specs?
Old 11th February 2013, 16:01   #5582
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkurt View Post
How many speakers does the Punto have? 4 or 6? Anybody has any idea about the specs?
It is a 4 speaker system with the front speakers being components. I still call this a 4 speaker system and not a 6 speaker system. Speakers are rated at 20 watts per unit.
Old 12th February 2013, 17:38   #5583
Senior - BHPian

I have always wondered how people have managed to achieve superb fuel efficiency of above 25 kmpl, but not any more. Till last weekend, the best I have achieved was about 22 kmpl during a Bangalore-Kerala drive.

Last Saturday, I was driving down to Chennai from Bangalore. I started at 5 AM and the roads where relatively empty. I was determined to see how much I can stretch one liter of diesel so I drove at a snail peace of 80~90, occasionally touching 100. I set my trip meter at Bommanahalli junction and the average I got when I reached Chennai outskirts (Virugambakkam flyover) was a staggering 27.5 kmpl. Not even in my wildest dreams, I thought of seeing this average on my MID.

On the way back, I started back by 2 pm and drove between 90~120. This time, I got 23.7 kmpl (From virugambakkam bridge till Kodichikkanahalli) – not bad, and a much better trade off than the previous run.

Last edited by theexperthand : 12th February 2013 at 17:41.
theexperthand is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th February 2013, 19:33   #5584
BHPian

Well said, +1 for that, &

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedaltothefloor View Post
Fiat cars are not designed for the masses. There is no point debating what is good or bad about them. These are pure breeds, you either love them or hate them. They manufacture everything themselves and don't plonk a borrowed engine or a borrowed anything. They do not strive to be value for money, economical to run, good resale value and such cliches. There is a reason they have existed for so long in this country with such a small market share. The reason is that it is a product for a true enthusiast. It's not a people mover with ugly looks and pathetic handling. Stop comparing!
Old 13th February 2013, 00:15   #5585
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedaltothefloor View Post
...There is a reason they have existed for so long in this country with such a small market share. The reason is that it is a product for a true enthusiast...
So Fiat is running the operations in India to cater to those handful of enthusiasts??! Or the true enthusiasts helped Fiat by buying enough cars to make them profitable? Brand loyalty & love is good to watch, when it is supported by facts! (Well, some of your points are good too)

The reason Fiat exists or destined to exist in India is because "somebody" else is borrowing their "own" engines and selling truck loads of cars!! If you think the ~1000 odd cars Fiat sell every month are keeping their Indian operations alive, then I have NO words for you!

Edit:: End of the day, for a business, it does NOT matter whether they cater to a specific segment or not. ONLY thing that matters is whether they are making enough cash / profits to survive another day! If they can, by catering to those specific set, well & good. Else find a way where you can make money - that's what Fiat did in India.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 13th February 2013 at 00:19. Reason: Added "Edit" portion
swiftnfurious is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th February 2013, 20:34   #5586
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
So Fiat is running the operations in India to cater to those handful of enthusiasts??! Or the true enthusiasts helped Fiat by buying enough cars to make them profitable? Brand loyalty & love is good to watch, when it is supported by facts! (Well, some of your points are good too)

The reason Fiat exists or destined to exist in India is because "somebody" else is borrowing their "own" engines and selling truck loads of cars!! If you think the ~1000 odd cars Fiat sell every month are keeping their Indian operations alive, then I have NO words for you!

Edit:: End of the day, for a business, it does NOT matter whether they cater to a specific segment or not. ONLY thing that matters is whether they are making enough cash / profits to survive another day! If they can, by catering to those specific set, well & good. Else find a way where you can make money - that's what Fiat did in India.

Nicely put Swiftnfurios, for every reason mentioned by you, FIAPL is not here to cater to the enthusiasts alone which is pointless for them, But bitter truth is there was absolutley no much aggressive marketing initiative taken by the company (FIAT INDIA) to increase their market share here (Talking of 2008 to 2012), few ad's in news papers and magazines and couple of TV ad's, that s it. It looked like a gimmick and formality and no aggresiveness was shown there.

Compared to the Talking Newspaper ad of vento or the repeated aggresive ad's for hyundai EON, Fiat India did nothing unique to brand build their beautiful cars. Adding to this, they are here adding bells and whistles each year TJET, 90HP Punto, 2012 upgraded Punto/Linea,Punto Sport, Absolute edition GP/Linea etc.

TJET is performance oriented vehcile, so is 90 HP Punto, Absoulte edition adds to the taste elegance and up market feel the car. If the company needs to do numbers why should they keep adding more up market features.

This could be one reason, why FIAT owners like us think it is for enthusiasts, and FIAPL has enough fat to support this and be happy with the existing customers who have something called the emotional connect to the vehicle they drive which is not present in other brands. (I have not considered BAAP brands here Jeep, Merc, BMW, Audi),

P.S. :This is purely my opinion, if offendable, mods please do the needful

Last edited by sriramr9 : 14th February 2013 at 20:37.
sriramr9 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2013, 12:52   #5587
BHPian

Guys,

I've scheduled the 3rd service for my 2012 Punto with RDC Fiat, Chennai this weekend. The car has no niggles and just needs the regular service.

May I know how long it will take for it?

Since my home is at the other end of the city, I plan to stay in the workshop during the entire hours? Can I do that or I will be thrown tantrums like how the Tata guys used to do?

On a side note, I drove the 2009 Punto(bought in Aug 2009) for about 50,000km before I sold it. Now, I have driven the current car for a substantial distance too and overall been very impressed over the improvements it has over its elder sibling. The car negates a lot of drawbacks its elder sibling had.

Apart from these two cars, I've also driven the prev gen Swift extensively. So, soon I plan to write a thread on Punto 2009 vs Punto 2012 vs Prev Gen Swift.

Look out for it.
CliffHanger is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th February 2013, 14:00   #5588
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Actually, the only money that Fiat India makes on its engines, will be through the recent agreement with MSIL to supply 1L engine per year out of Ranjangaon, besides of course the 25k engines per year to Premier.

The royalty that Suzuki India must be paying is direct to Fiat Spa in Italy.

Fiat India has lost money, but since it was a JV the losses were 50:50 Fiat & Tata.

Anyway, coming back to the topic, I wonder if the Punto refresh / evo is going to be launched in March / April. There have been no test mules doing the rounds...

Last edited by fiat_tarun : 20th February 2013 at 14:01.
Old 20th February 2013, 14:30   #5589
Senior - BHPian

Holla guys,
Gave my 2012 Punto for its 15K KMS service this morning. I have no issues with the car and just wanted a routine oil, filters etc changed.
Since I am not in India nowadays my brother had to drop the car for service. The SA gave an estimate close to INR 10K plus taxes.

It seems that of that 6.5K is for regular oil, filter change but was surprised when the SA recommended the following things:
1. EGR cleaning - charges 1440 + 400 for labor
2. Brake service - 850

Does Punto need an EGR cleaning and a brake service at 10K KMS? The SA mentioned this will result in increased pick-up and fuel efficiency. I have asked the SA not to get these things done, hope its the right thing to do.

Tried looking up for EGR cleaning in this thread but could not find anything. Can someone point me in the right direction?

Regards
Old 20th February 2013, 14:33   #5590
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffHanger View Post
Guys,

I've scheduled the 3rd service for my 2012 Punto with RDC Fiat, Chennai this weekend. The car has no niggles and just needs the regular service.

May I know how long it will take for it?

So, soon I plan to write a thread on Punto 2009 vs Punto 2012 vs Prev Gen Swift.

Look out for it.
If no issues to report, it should take 3-4 hrs max.

I own 2012 Punto emotion. Recently I drove 2010 emotion of a friend for about 30 kms. I found ride quality better than my 2012.
Do share you views on this.

Last edited by S.MJet : 20th February 2013 at 14:38.
Old 20th February 2013, 14:35   #5591
Senior - BHPian

^ EGR cleaning not at all required at this mileage.

Moreover, an oil + filter change costs just 3k plus for the Punto diesel, for the used Selenia WR 5W40 semi-synth.

They seem to take you for a ride. Also, brake cleaning is a part of every general service, why make it a separate chargeable component?
DRIV3R is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2013, 14:38   #5592
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiren.mistry View Post
Holla guys,
Gave my 2012 Punto for its 15K KMS service this morning....

It seems that of that 6.5K is for regular oil, filter change but was surprised when the SA recommended the following things:
1. EGR cleaning - charges 1440 + 400 for labor
2. Brake service - 850

Does Punto need an EGR cleaning and a brake service at 10K KMS?..
I do NOT think Punto at 15K kms need an EGR service. You can get it done at 45K service.

Regarding brake service, I guess most guys do it as part of the regular services. But it's slightly expensive is what I feel. I still suggest to get it done. EGR can wait.
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2013, 14:45   #5593
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
^ EGR cleaning not at all required at this mileage.

Moreover, an oil + filter change costs just 3k plus for the Punto diesel, for the used Selenia WR 5W40 semi-synth.

They seem to take you for a ride. Also, brake cleaning is a part of every general service, why make it a separate chargeable component?
Thanks for the reply and my sentiments exactly, I will post a snapshot of the bill once we get the car back later in the day.
I remember my brother mentioning the oil @ INR 850 a litre. Punto takes in around 3.5L, right? Plus there is an additional charge of around 104 for the pollen filter.
Plus oil filter, air filter and diesel fuel filter.

Quote:
EGR can wait.
Thanks, I will get the EGR done in the subsequent service. I will be back in April and will get the brakes checked if I find them weak.

Last edited by hiren.mistry : 20th February 2013 at 14:51.
Old 20th February 2013, 15:02   #5594
Distinguished - BHPian

The break up should appear somewhere around the below mentioned costs.

Selenia WR Engine oil - Rs 2100/-
Oil filter - 360/-
Air Filter - 260/-
Wire Mesh Filter - 100/- (Approx)
Diesel Filter - 2100/-
Misc - 300/-

Total = Apprx Rs. 5200/-

EGR and other stories are crap. Ask them not to even touch that. Please do post the bill. If the dealer is taking you for a ride, please report to FIAT immediately seeking clarification.
nkrishnap is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2013, 15:18   #5595
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post

EGR and other stories are crap. Ask them not to even touch that. Please do post the bill. If the dealer is taking you for a ride, please report to FIAT immediately seeking clarification.
This is perfect, much appreciated. Will surely post the bill once I get it, BTW how old/recent are these prices?

Cheers

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks