Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd May 2012, 10:57   #4831
Senior - BHPian

Re: Fiat Grande Punto : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbkumar View Post

Got another question, I was asked to change the brake pad (odo at 24k kms ). Is this normal or do I need to look at my driving style?
It is not normal and I think there is some issue to it. Just clocked 30k and I'll be needing a replacement for front by 35k. Which is way less then then normal and my driving style is quite sedate to wear out the pads so early.

May be in your case it's a bit of your driving style and issue with the pads.
Randhawa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2012, 11:26   #4832
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbkumar View Post
Got another question, I was asked to change the brake pad (odo at 24k kms ). Is this normal or do I need to look at my driving style?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randhawa View Post
It is not normal and I think there is some issue to it. Just clocked 30k and I'll be needing a replacement for front by 35k. Which is way less then then normal and my driving style is quite sedate to wear out the pads so early.

May be in your case it's a bit of your driving style and issue with the pads.
It is dependent on one's driving style but a replacement at 24k is absolutely normal.
Attaching a snapshot from the user manual for reference...

Fiat Grande Punto : Test Drive & Review-brake-pad-wear.jpg

Replacement before 15k kms is abnormal but after 15k, the brake pads may need replacement at any time on a case-to-case basis.
Lucky ones do a replacement after 50k while unlucky ones like mine are replaced at 15k (partly depending on their driving style ofcourse).
Improved driving style willl definitely prolong the life but thats not the only thing governing the replacement.

Also observe in the snapshot that its normal for the rear drum linings needing replacement after 60k. Before that is abnormal.
hemanth.anand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2012, 13:51   #4833
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriramr9 View Post
My 2012 Punto MJD has an issue with rear wash where water does not spurt out, could anyone help me out how to troubleshoot this problem myself. i am unable to figure out the jet opening from where the water is splashed, i tried looking near to the left hand side tail light assembly but could not figure out the same. Right now no water comes out when i tried to do a wash electrically..
Hi Sriram,
When you pull the wiper lever to release spray from your washers, please have a look beneath the car. Is there water below the car on the ground ? I had the exact same issue and the problem was below the bonnet.

Open your bonnet you will see there is a black rubber pipe that connects to the washers. There is another one which is deep inside and goes all the way back to the rear wash. It has either come off here or there may be some cut on the pipe.

EDIT :
I have rattling issues in my driver door as well as the left rear. Whenever I close the door, I hear a terrible window clatter like the ones we used to get in an old indica taxi. Whats more, my left rear power window does not work anymore, when I press the power window button, I can hear the sound of the window motor grinding but the glass does not budge. Need to get this checked by the ***.

I am also approaching the 1 year mark with my car, will update this thread soon with the entire list of issues I've faced over the last 1 year.

Overall, I must say the car inspite of its niggles and little quality issues, has been very satisfying.

Last edited by PuntoMania : 2nd May 2012 at 13:55.
Old 2nd May 2012, 17:39   #4834
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rup_Chatterjee View Post
Hi

I have received Active Tuscan Wine MJD on March 28, 2012 and already clocked 1200 KMs in the City of Kolkata. I am pretty happy to own the beauty and would like have an information from fellow members. If I need to go to Service Center in Kolkata which one should go for FIAT service.
Congratulations on your new possession. The car itself is a beauty and it's strength overshadow it's weaknesses by miles. There is no match for the Punto's road manners and high speed stability this side of 15L in my opinion. The service though is a huge let down. The benchmark of Tata-Fiat seems to be to try and deliver than car that is in a state not worse that it was sent to them. Fiat needs to part ways and get it's act right. Sad to see such a brilliant package killed by pathetic after-sales. My car has been to all 3 dealers - KB, Lexus and RD - none of them are satisfactory. Stay away from KB though - they broke the glovebox handle once and this time they managed to splash water into my music system. So the first thing that came out when the eject button was pushed was water. So now I have a music system which does not work. Paint marks were left on my windshield twice which damaged the glass as well as the wipers. Try RD or Lexus. Insist on having the lubricants changed in front of you and any replaced parts to be kept in the boot in a plastic bag. Yes, it should be a standard practice but unfortunately isn't followed by any of them. And do keep us posted about your experience. May the Force be with you!
Concorde is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2012, 20:04   #4835
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbkumar
24k is okay. My friends Punto got new pads last week after 19k kms. We drive through highly congested areas, in stop and go traffic, so wear is more. Someone sticking to highways will see a set of pads for 50-60k km.
autocrat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2012, 23:46   #4836
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autocrat View Post
24k is okay. My friends Punto got new pads last week after 19k kms. We drive through highly congested areas, in stop and go traffic, so wear is more. Someone sticking to highways will see a set of pads for 50-60k km.
I don't know if it's the love for their Punto that the owners overlook the issues but seriously I haven't heard any swift owner(with descent driving style) who has changed there front pads under 50k. It isn't cheap either for 3k a pair for front.
Old 3rd May 2012, 00:56   #4837
BHPian

Quote:
I don't know if it's the love for their Punto that the owners overlook the issues but seriously I haven't heard any swift owner(with descent driving style) who has changed there front pads under 50k. It isn't cheap either for 3k a pair for front.
Its not just love - its the stopping power these pads offer. The pads are softer than other OE pads on other Indian cars. At the cost of pad life, what you get are brakes that really perform. You can actually observe a lot of brake dust on the wheels of Punto and Linea.

If you look at the Swift test drive thread, you will find a lot of owners complaining about high speed braking of swift VDI - I have suggested to a few to switch to Bosch pads that are softer but brake well. If you compare the brakes on Punto / Swift @ 100+ kmph you will notice the difference.

Its up to the owner to decide on his driving style - whether to go for long lasting hard pads that have less stopping power or soft pads that offer good stopping power / safety.

I really don't mind shelling out 3000 bucks if my car stops like how I want it to.
autocrat is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2012, 01:44   #4838
BHPian

Fiat India to go solo with car sales - News - Autocar India

Finally, it's official. An opportunity for Fiat to start from scratch and get things right. They'll really need to go all out and make up for the shoddy after sales in the last 6 years. Fingers crossed.
Old 3rd May 2012, 08:46   #4839
BHPian

Fiat,Tatas end distribution pact

Hi,

Good news in todays TOI...

ePaper Lite - Times of India Publications

TIMES NEWS NETWORK
New Delhi: In a bid to revive its struggling Indian operations,Italian car maker Fiat will take full control of sales,marketing and service activities,ending the distribution pact with manufacturing partner Tata Motors.The move is part of a re-alignment process.
Fiat and Tata have agreed that in order to further develop the Fiat brand in India,management control of Fiats commercial and distribution activities will be handed over to a separate Fiat group-owned company.Currently,Tata Motors has been managing the distribution responsibility of the Fiat-branded products in India through joint Tata-Fiat dealerships, the company said.TOI had first reported about Fiats plans to go solo in sales and marketing in its January 4 edition.
Fiat said the move will provide greater focus on its brand.However,Fiatand Tata Motors will continue with the joint venture they have for manufacturing cars at Ranjangaon in Maharashtra.
It will continue with these manufacturing activities as they are outside of the new distribution agreement and will supply cars and powertrains to Fiat and Tata, the company said.
Fiats operations in India have been struggling and despite the growth in the market,the company has only been a fringe player.Fiat could sell a paltry 16,073 units in India last fiscal (down 24%) in a market where 2.6 million passenger vehicles were sold.Tata group chief Ratan Tata had last year said his good personal rapport with Fiat CEO Sergio Marchionne had not translated at the working level of the two firms.... I have to admit that so far,the venture with Fiat has not been as active as we had thought, he had said.
Fiat has also started setting up a separate dealership network outside the joint Tata-Fiat network it currently has.Development of the new Fiat dealer network for India will start progressively and the 178 existing Fiat-franchised Tata dealers in 129 cities will be encouraged to form the foundation of the future network.Fiat will establish a new,separate,company,which will assume responsibility for all commercial and service related activities, Fiat said.
Old 3rd May 2012, 09:54   #4840
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Please don't turn this into a Swift Vs Punto topic.

There are many punto owners who have replaced the brake pads at around 50k.
24k is normal and as per specifications...the user manual itself specifies 15k as mentioned in my earlier post.
That doesn't mean that everyone replaces at 15k...It only means that if your brake pads wear out at 15k it is not an issue/problem.

Keeping braking ability aside for a while, I've put a screen shot of Swift's user manual.

Fiat Grande Punto : Test Drive & Review-swift_service-_interval.jpg

It says that the brake pads should be inspected and replaced if necessary at 5k kms!
Does this mean that every swift owner replaces at 5k? No...but it simply means that even if you replace the pads at 5k for a Swift, its normal and there is no issue.

Also just for your information. the braking distances 100-0kmph: (Courtesy Overdrive website)

Fiat Punto Multijet Emotion pack: 49.6mtrs
Maruti Suzuki Swift Zdi: 56.6mtrs

Good that your car's pads will last 35k kms but that doesn't mean that 24k is abnormal.
No offence meant mate, but when there is no "issue", there is no question of overlooking them because of love.

Last edited by hemanth.anand : 3rd May 2012 at 09:56. Reason: added credits to figures from another website
hemanth.anand is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2012, 10:57   #4841
BHPian

I changed my brake pads close to 40K and it had some life left before I opted to change. I find braking ability of this car highly impressive and can sacrifice 3K for the same instead of having a fast car which can't stop. There are alternate aftermarket pads available as well at fraction of cost if anyone wishes to try.
teky is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2012, 11:10   #4842
Senior - BHPian

I am still surprised how people think brake pad replacement at 24k is normal. As if it's the only car which can stop in short distance. I have owned enough cars in my short life to know what's normal.

Next you lot will say there is no left pulling issue(in some cases) or tyre wear issue in front due to -ve camber which can not be adjusted and rusting issue. By the way are you even aware of the piston noise issue on MJD's when same engine in swift does not have that problem? I guess not!!

You are just showing a biased opinion and sometimes you need to get out of the circle to realise the facts(no pun intended). I guess its the way with passionate Fiat owners who find it hard to admit the reality. Although I love my MJD and I'll say its the best hatch in India so far but I don't find it hard to speak off it's flaws and issues.

Last edited by Randhawa : 3rd May 2012 at 11:12.
Randhawa is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2012, 20:14   #4843
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randhawa
I am still surprised how people think brake pad replacement at 24k is normal. As if it's the only car which can stop in short distance. I have owned enough cars in my short life to know what's normal.

Next you lot will say there is no left pulling issue(in some cases) or tyre wear issue in front due to -ve camber which can not be adjusted and rusting issue. By the way are you even aware of the piston noise issue on MJD's when same engine in swift does not have that problem? I guess not!!

You are just showing a biased opinion and sometimes you need to get out of the circle to realise the facts(no pun intended). I guess its the way with passionate Fiat owners who find it hard to admit the reality. Although I love my MJD and I'll say its the best hatch in India so far but I don't find it hard to speak off it's flaws and issues.
Randhawa Sir,

With due respect to you and the cars you have owned so far, let me tell you that I am not a first time car buyer myself. I bought a Fiat after 6 months of research. I have read every ownership thread on Fiat Punto and Linea before I invested my money in a Fiat. I am well aware of the issues faced by owners and I still bought a Fiat as I was convinced it was the right car for me.

So what if I love the car so much that I may overlook some issues or problems? Its purely my concern!

If you have any issues with your Punto, or if you found something unusual in test drive, please post the same here with supporting facts. We as Fiat owners will get educated and try to find a solution.

If someone reported a brake pad wear at 20000 km, if it wore out, it needs to be replaced. Is there a better solution?

Why do you insist that we keep discussing this? To tarnish Fiats image? To tell Fiat owners they did a mistake by not choosing a Maruti? I am curious to know what is the motivation

I suggest you check out the Punto ownership thread by epicenter.rulez - he has driven a swift DDIS for 300000 km, sold it, and has done 120000 km on his Punto in less than 2 years. There cant be a better person to compare these 2 wonderful cars.
autocrat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2012, 20:50   #4844
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Not too sure what the motive is to downplay a particular brand or car. I would definitley even borrow 3K if the brake pads needs replacement at 20K kms rather than end up in an uncomfortable situation where the weaker brakes will ensure I end up paying a lot more for repairs of the car owned and other cars as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by autocrat View Post
Randhawa Sir,

With due respect to you and the cars you have owned so far, let me tell you that I am not a first time car buyer myself. I bought a Fiat after 6 months of research. I have read every ownership thread on Fiat Punto and Linea before I invested my money in a Fiat. I am well aware of the issues faced by owners and I still bought a Fiat as I was convinced it was the right car for me.

So what if I love the car so much that I may overlook some issues or problems? Its purely my concern!

If you have any issues with your Punto, or if you found something unusual in test drive, please post the same here with supporting facts. We as Fiat owners will get educated and try to find a solution.

If someone reported a brake pad wear at 20000 km, if it wore out, it needs to be replaced. Is there a better solution?

Why do you insist that we keep discussing this? To tarnish Fiats image? To tell Fiat owners they did a mistake by not choosing a Maruti? I am curious to know what is the motivation

I suggest you check out the Punto ownership thread by epicenter.rulez - he has driven a swift DDIS for 300000 km, sold it, and has done 120000 km on his Punto in less than 2 years. There cant be a better person to compare these 2 wonderful cars.
My friend has a Punto with almost 70K on the odo required just one brake pad change in the 2.5 year of ownership which is very ok. The braking power in the Punto is far superior to the cars in the segment, but still people find n number of weird reasons to downplay a very good car. Nothing has broken, the car has been very reliable, fuel efficient and gives a wide smile every time one drives the car. Not sure why all this being written unnecessarily.

At the same time my other close pal has a swift and he keeps cursing himself for having bought the car. But he does not bad mouth other cars because he owns one.

Enough of OT. Lets get back to the test drive part of the Punto.
nkrishnap is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2012, 21:30   #4845
BHPian

I've been thinking about buying a fun-to-drive hatch for myself by this year end. I have driven dad's Esteem for a long time in the past and am presently driving dad's Figo. So, hope you guys can estimate my standard when it comes to handling, road manners and high speed stability. I started gaining interest in Punto when it was announced that Fiat will finally split from Tata. I've gone through the list of problems faced by Punto. They look manageable but I'm worried what if the problems are greater than reported by owners and most importantly, what if Punto is not as awesome as reviews say. See the following quote for example which is routinely claimed by every Punto owner time to time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Concorde View Post
There is no match for the Punto's road manners and high speed stability this side of 15L in my opinion.
Having done TD of Punto myself (including the one with 2012 updated suspension), I would say that Figo is ahead of Punto in terms of handling, road manners and high speed stability. This is why I'm not sure if I should trust official and individual reviews about Punto being best driver's car. But then it might be because I've driven Figo for much longer than Punto so I'm more used to its lower center of gravity (compared to Punto) and hydraulic power steering.

So what I'm asking is if any Punto owner can please once again confirm if Punto is really best fun-to-drive car? Is it really more fun (better handling, road manners and high speed stability) than Swift ZXi/ZDi (no need to bring up braking issue) and Ford Figo or even Fiesta Classic? (comparing coz Classic costs same as a Punto 90BHP)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks