Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th December 2012, 17:19   #5506
BHPian

Re: Fiat Grande Punto : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post
Others have already answered this query, but I would like to know why you are interested in third party servicing. Any specific reasons? If there is a good authorised dealer handling your car's service, why look outside?
Once warranty/free service gets over the labor part of the bill is quite costly (when compared to the components cost) and for normal services, repairs including stuff like Engine, Suspension, Brakes, AC ....etc would be much cheaper to be done using a Local mechanic than the Authorized garages as long as authorized spared are available. There is even VAT on labor which increases the cost even further.

Hence leaving very critical electronic stuff like Airbags, ABS..etc , i would like to keep my service bills low by using some trusted local mechanic once the vehicle leaves warranty period.
Aceman82 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2012, 19:36   #5507
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceman82

Once warranty/free service gets over the labor part of the bill is quite costly (when compared to the components cost) and for normal services, repairs including stuff like Engine, Suspension, Brakes, AC ....etc would be much cheaper to be done using a Local mechanic than the Authorized garages as long as authorized spared are available. There is even VAT on labor which increases the cost even further.

Hence leaving very critical electronic stuff like Airbags, ABS..etc , i would like to keep my service bills low by using some trusted local mechanic once the vehicle leaves warranty period.
Hi,
But since you intend to keep the car only for 5 years, it wouldn't turn out to be expensive at TASS & soon to be FASS :-). Punto comes with a 2+2 years warranty. As per my experience with TASS, they are not as bad as it is made out to be. In my 14 month ownership, I'm quite pleased with their service.

I can tell you this: No hatchback in the Indian market can match Punto's legendary ride & handling!! A wide grin is guaranteed every time you drive it. If your only looking at the resale value, Swift is a better bet.
Rufus_M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2012, 20:34   #5508
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceman82 View Post
Once warranty/free service gets over the labor part of the bill is quite costly (when compared to the components cost) and for normal services, repairs including stuff like Engine, Suspension, Brakes, AC ....etc would be much cheaper to be done using a Local mechanic than the Authorized garages as long as authorized spared are available. Hence leaving very critical electronic stuff like Airbags, ABS..etc , i would like to keep my service bills low by using some trusted local mechanic once the vehicle leaves warranty period.
Yep it is indeed cheaper to get the AC, Suspension etc work done outside. would think than Engine and electronics are a better bet at the authorized centre. Actually TASS is not really that expensive in many cases and it does make sense to keep going to the authorized centre for most stuff for higher overall peace of mind. But yes if something major happens to the say the AC you could indeed go the the TASS get an estimate and then go about getting the same work done outside. Suspension and brakes are two areas where authorized centers tend to be quite a bit more expensive compared to the 3rd party centers. But then again we are refering to the smaller setups with cash bills without tax being paid, some thing like Carnation would not be signficantly cheaper to justify the change.
ACM is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th December 2012, 18:25   #5509
BHPian

What is the best Tuning Box for a Fiat Punto 90HP that can improve the city driving dynamics?
Old 13th December 2012, 08:43   #5510
BHPian

One quick question: Do Fiat dealers in India hand over the Code Card to the owners?
My Linea's remote key had gone bad, and looking through the manual, I find that ordering a duplicate key requires the "mechanical code". But I wasn't able to find the code card among my documents.
Searching online tells me Fiat dealers in the UK don't hand over the code card to owners. Is it the same in India, or have I lost mine?
(The latter would mean reprogramming the entire locking system and the ECU, I believe?!)
Old 13th December 2012, 08:56   #5511
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by one-77 View Post
One quick question: Do Fiat dealers in India hand over the Code Card to the owners?
My Linea's remote key had gone bad, and looking through the manual, I find that ordering a duplicate key requires the "mechanical code". But I wasn't able to find the code card among my documents.
Searching online tells me Fiat dealers in the UK don't hand over the code card to owners. Is it the same in India, or have I lost mine?
(The latter would mean reprogramming the entire locking system and the ECU, I believe?!)
Yes, I was given one for my Punto. There will be 2 cards - one for the music system and the other for the key.

And hopefully I still have it!
Old 13th December 2012, 09:50   #5512
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufus_M View Post
Hi,
But since you intend to keep the car only for 5 years, it wouldn't turn out to be expensive at TASS & soon to be FASS :-). Punto comes with a 2+2 years warranty. As per my experience with TASS, they are not as bad as it is made out to be. In my 14 month ownership, I'm quite pleased with their service.

I can tell you this: No hatchback in the Indian market can match Punto's legendary ride & handling!! A wide grin is guaranteed every time you drive it. If your only looking at the resale value, Swift is a better bet.

+ 1 to that. TASS has been pretty good for me so far. And yes, I absolutely love the ride and handling of Punto.
Old 13th December 2012, 10:20   #5513
Senior - BHPian

What is the average life of brake pads on the Punto? My Punto 90HP has crossed 28300km and although there is no perceptable change in braking ability/distance, there is much less black brake dust on my alloys than I'm used to seeing. Is it time to get the brakes checked?

I had asked the A.S.S about the condition of brake pads at my last service about 4000km back, but they didn't tell me anything about the pads running out in another 5000km or so.
Old 13th December 2012, 11:05   #5514
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Confirmed that the code card is handed over to the customer.
My dealer explained in details the significance of the card and instructed me to keep the same at a safe place.
Old 13th December 2012, 12:58   #5515
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post
Nice to know the resale value is not as bad as it is made out to be, but I have a counter-argument. You bought a 75hp emotion pack for 6.06L, but today the same car (badged as emotion) costs ~8.2L in Bangalore. 4.25 is almost half of that . In other words, the resale value is good for your particular case, since you paid lesser for the same car. If a 2011 punto emotion is sold, he would fetch 4.5-5 too, in spite of paying 8L. Not too good then. With a Swift VDi, me thinks the case would be totally different.
Mine is an "Emotion" not an "Emotion Pack". And, the resale value is dependent on the age and kms run - mine is a 2009 model with 76K on the odo. I am not able to understand your logic of a 2011 model car fetching only 4.5-5 lakhs.
Old 13th December 2012, 13:29   #5516
BHPian

Quote:
Yes they do give the code card during vehicle delivery and also the dealership people asked me to keep it carefully.
Old 16th December 2012, 23:03   #5517
BHPian

Hi, One incident to share. About 1 hour back I went to my car(Punto EP 1.4) and turn the key to start the car. Suddenly I heard "Boom". I was surprised. First thought in mind that someone broke the windows. But there is no crack in any of windows. Then I realized that there were few broken plastic on my lap. I can smell something burning. When tried to pull seat belt, its not pulling at all. I saw fumes from drive seat belt. Checked all around but not able to find anything.
Now I am really worried. Anyone aware what could can go wrong in the car. May take car to service station tomorrow. But my wife is totally scared and not allowed me to touch the car after that incident.

Last edited by kalpurja : 16th December 2012 at 23:11.
Old 16th December 2012, 23:12   #5518
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalpurja View Post
Hi, One incident to share. About 1 hour back I went to my car(Punto EP 1.4) and turn the key to start the car. Suddenly I heard "Boom". I was surprised. First thought in mind that someone broke the windows. But there is no crack in any of windows. Then I realized that there were few broken plastic on my lap. I can smell something burning. When tried to pull seat belt, its not pulling at all. I saw fumes from drive seat belt. Checked all around but not able to find anything.
Now I am really worried. Anyone aware what could can go wrong in the car. May take car to service station tomorrow. But my wife is totally scared and not allow to touch the car after that incident.
My guess is that the SRS has been triggered due to some electrical fault. Are the air-bags intact? DO you get any warning messages on the MID? Are you able to retract the passenger seat belt?
Old 16th December 2012, 23:18   #5519
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
My guess is that the SRS has been triggered due to some electrical fault. Are the air-bags intact? DO you get any warning messages on the MID? Are you able to retract the passenger seat belt?
There is a problem with airbag. As per service station they need to replace Airbag control module. Message in MID is "Airbag failure". Not tried with passenger seat belt.
Old 16th December 2012, 23:41   #5520
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalpurja View Post
There is a problem with airbag. As per service station they need to replace Airbag control module. Message in MID is "Airbag failure". Not tried with passenger seat belt.
The boom you heard was the seat belt pre-tensioners going off. They are activated with a kind of mini explosion, which is what you heard. Usually the airbags and seat belt pre-tensioners are connected to the same sensors, so the airbag control module fault could have caused this.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks