Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th November 2012, 15:05   #5461
Team-BHP Support

Re: Fiat Grande Punto : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by autocrat View Post
Sir, Do slip on covers have same level of fit and finish as stitch work? I am planning for my Linea's interior upgrade soon. I am thoroughly confused if going for leather upholstery or PVC / PU.
I doubt you'll be able to get the same fit and finish of stitching work, but it depends from brand to brand too. Over leather upholstery and PU, I'd recommend leather any day. PU will make you sweat bullets even if it isn't too warm outside (especially your back). It gets really uncomfortable for both you and the passengers. Not to mention, it gets sticky and makes horrible, awkward noises when people move around in their seats *lol*.

Quote:
How hard is it to maintain leather?
Much, much easier than fabric upholstery. Main reasons being :
1. Dust and hair, etc don't stick to the upholstery so there is almost no need for vacuuming
2. Any liquid spilled on the seats, etc can just be wiped away and stains won't be a major worrying factor over a long term period.
3. Easier to maintain. All you need is a good spray and wipe treatment once in a month or two, to get the original sheen back. Use Meguiar's leather seat cleaning solution in Sidhu sir's shop for this, it works wonders.

Only thing is you have to be careful about cuts in the leather seats. I have experienced all 3 types (fabric, full leather seats and art-leather seat covers), and would vouch for leather upholstery any day. Fabric is second best. PU/PVC should be the last option in my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqualeo2040 View Post
Took the delivery of a Red Emotion for a friend today. Since he was a bundle of nerves with this being his first ride, I had to take the wheels from the showroom to the office basement. Had a 6km drive meanwhile. Some major differences noted from my 2009 Emo Pk.

7. Front doors are still the same, but the rear doors are definitely thinner/lighter! Doesn't have the thud as in my ride
I felt my Punto's doors are not as heavy as the ones in my T-Jet. Those feel even heavier and as if built from lead! Never compared with the pre-facelift Puntos or the 75HP ones, I should check with those as well once.

Quote:
8. Seat belt buzzer not present (at least, I couldn't get it to work). Please let me know if this feature is omitted now or else I will get my pal to pay a visit to the workshop.
I think this was working properly in my Punto, so he should get it rectified during service

Quote:
9. In my ride,the steering locks if the key is removed and the steering is turned to one side. There was a trick to turn the key and flick the steering to unlock it. Couldn't get the current one to lock up. Is this feature gone too?
I didn't understand this properly. Steering lock happens if the key is removed any which way, right? I removed the key, tried turning the (now hard) wheel and it locks up. Why should it be turned to one side fully?

Quote:
10. USB Slot : New model : Vertical Old model : Horizontal
Still horizontal in my 2012 punto. Pics in my ownership review. Not sure if 75HP has it like this. Interesting discovery

Quote:
12. New USB option in the Media menu (the menu from the steering wheel). Not present in my ride.
This was there on my older Linea t-jet too, and is there on the punto too. Try upgrading the software for this option.

Quote:
I have been looking out for a Linea sunglass holder from day 1 to fit in! Even the showroom guys are surprised
How many of you have a dummy port there? In the current model, they just have a moulded fold at that point.
I have the moulded fold in the Punto.

Last edited by KarthikK : 27th November 2012 at 15:26.
Old 27th November 2012, 15:46   #5462
BHPian

[quote="Karthik

Only thing is you have to be careful about cuts in the leather seats. I have experienced all 3 types (fabric, full leather seats and art-leather seat covers), and would vouch for leather upholstery any day. Fabric is second best. PU/PVC should be the last option in my opinion.
.[/QUOTE]

If anyone is going for seat covers better to go for genuine leather covers only. Dont know what made me go for art leather on both my linea and punto, they are very uncomfortable and get too hot when parked in sun.
The original fabric on linea is much more comfortable than art leather.
Stanley should be a good option.
Old 27th November 2012, 18:59   #5463
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
I believe its slip on, as the stitch work would cost more as it is more labout intensive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
What is the seat cover material? Is it a slip on cover or a stitch work?
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
Steering cover, gear knob and boot: Rs. 3,000
Seat Covers: Approx Rs. 7,500
Place: Driven, East of kailash, New Delhi.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gp_fanatico View Post
The red strip at the bottom of the door panel you see is the original paint work of the door panel itself !
Hello Fellow Punters,

Check-out leather customisation on my Ex

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/bangal...ngalore-2.html

The Punter is sold now, but the leather work was amazing!

Hope it helps guys from Bangalore.
Zenster is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th November 2012, 19:37   #5464
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenster

Hello Fellow Punters,

Check-out leather customisation on my Ex

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/bangal...ngalore-2.html

The Punter is sold now, but the leather work was amazing!

Hope it helps guys from Bangalore.
Stunning design. However want to ask these

1. You didnt try getting a quote from Karlsson?
2. Any idea on the pricing on genuine leather from these guys?
3. Why is the pricing same with Pensee & Ovion? Pensee should be cheaper!
Old 27th November 2012, 19:55   #5465
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Stunning design. However want to ask these

1. You didnt try getting a quote from Karlsson?
2. Any idea on the pricing on genuine leather from these guys?
3. Why is the pricing same with Pensee & Ovion? Pensee should be cheaper!
Glad you liked it.

1. Nope I didn't check with Karlsson because Marvin's factory was closer to my house on bannerghatta road(atleast back then, not sure about now) so getting the work done was easier. Marvin was the first place I visited, loved their design, Fittings and fabric and the price was in my budget so didn't see the need to look else where.

2. Genuine leather for the same work would have costed upwards of 25k, which was way out of budget and didn't pursue that avenue with more questions.

3. The Price-quotes from Pensee and Ovion were on the phone only, may be if I had gone there and bargained they would have reduced.

Hope the answers help!
Old 27th November 2012, 21:01   #5466
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post
I think this was working properly in my Punto, so he should get it rectified during service
Hmmm. Are you sure its present in the 76hp version as well? have to check this again then!

Quote:
I didn't understand this properly. Steering lock happens if the key is removed any which way, right? I removed the key, tried turning the (now hard) wheel and it locks up. Why should it be turned to one side fully?
Yes. Thats the thing. The steering didnt lock up with the key removed. It just became hard i.e. when the PS is switched off. No locking

Quote:
This was there on my older Linea t-jet too, and is there on the punto too. Try upgrading the software for this option.
Simple & stupid question. HOW?

Quote:
I have the moulded fold in the Punto.
Let me see when I get my hands on that sunglass holder. The clips are already present

I forgot to mention one more thing! The clutch! its as light as my Spark's! As a matter of fact, I did try another colleague's car who got it in Jan 2012. Seems Fiat has done something with the clutch set up as well or mine's just aged and I didnt realize. Will probably know once my clutch goes for a toss. I guess I have already halved its life with the shameless wheelspins.
Old 29th November 2012, 21:08   #5467
BHPian

I am in a very strange fix. In the punto there are a couple of cup holders in front of the gear lever. Still in front of it there is a rectangular storage area. I had kept my cell phone in that area.

Now, under braking i observed that the phone disappeared. I realized that ahead of the storage area there is a gap towards the top. I thought that the cell slid out of there and had fallen on the road. But it was not there.

To understand where the the hole leads to, i dropped a coin in it. The coin did not reach the ground either. It sounded as if it reached a thin metal sheet like the plates below the cabin area.

Now, here I am, one rupee short, and devoid of cellular capabilities for a day. Please suggest whether there is any possibility that these are still in the car or have fallen off. (I have driven 7 Km after the incident and did not notice any sound/rattle because of it).

Is it going to cause any mechanical damage to the car?
SilkDrive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2012, 21:34   #5468
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkDrive
I am in a very strange fix. In the punto there are a couple of cup holders in front of the gear lever. Still in front of it there is a rectangular storage area. I had kept my cell phone in that area.

Now, under braking i observed that the phone disappeared. I realized that ahead of the storage area there is a gap towards the top. I thought that the cell slid out of there and had fallen on the road. But it was not there.

To understand where the the hole leads to, i dropped a coin in it. The coin did not reach the ground either. It sounded as if it reached a thin metal sheet like the plates below the cabin area.

Now, here I am, one rupee short, and devoid of cellular capabilities for a day. Please suggest whether there is any possibility that these are still in the car or have fallen off. (I have driven 7 Km after the incident and did not notice any sound/rattle because of it).

Is it going to cause any mechanical damage to the car?
Did you try calling your phone to see if it rings from somewhere deep within?
On a more serious note, I just had a look at the area you mentioned, and surprise, couldn't find it in my Linea. Seems like you have a cover missing. It's probably only some wiring etc beneath. Just take your car to the service centre and have the phone and coin retrieved. I don't think it will have caused any damage. Good luck!
one-77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2012, 22:05   #5469
Distinguished - BHPian

The area which Silkdrive is mentioning is there open in the Punto but weirdly closed in the Linea. Not sure what is the idea behind it.

Please do try calling the cell phone and see if you can locate the place from where the phone is ringing.
nkrishnap is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2012, 22:11   #5470
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkDrive View Post
Now, under braking i observed that the phone disappeared. I realized that ahead of the storage area there is a gap towards the top.
Man! I always keep my S2 there, and its ultra slim. Thanks for posting this!

It wont fall out of the car or anything. Did you try calling the number as others already suggested?
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2012, 22:22   #5471
BHPian

I forgot to mention in the earlier post. My cell had run out of battery before the incident, else things would have been much simpler. Thanks for the suggestions, guys. Will take it to the service centre tomorrow.
Old 29th November 2012, 22:28   #5472
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkDrive View Post
I forgot to mention in the earlier post. My cell had run out of battery before the incident, else things would have been much simpler. Thanks for the suggestions, guys. Will take it to the service centre tomorrow.
Sort of all things gone wrong at the same time.

Please describe as to how the service center guys take it out. That could be helpful to the Punto owners out there.
nkrishnap is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2012, 23:08   #5473
BHPian

I saw that space in my friends punto and went and checked in my linea. It was closed. I opened the plastic cover expecting a cubby hole. But there was a pipe like structure; what looked like the connection for the rear aircon vent.

The phone should be lodged somewhere inside that gearbox plastic console. Its highly unlikely that it might've fallen off from the car.
carrerastrax is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2012, 00:04   #5474
BHPian

The reason the cover is present in Linea is that the duct for rear AC (the one on handrest) goes from there. Since there isn't a rear AC vent in Punto, there is a gap. I would believe there is space for ducting and that's where the phone and 1 rupee is.
Biraj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st December 2012, 12:19   #5475
BHPian

A query to my fellow punters,
How do I update my blue & me software? My car was manufactured in October 2010 & I'm sure I've missed out on updates.
A easy to follow procedure would also help.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks