Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th December 2012, 14:12   #5521
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Fiat Grande Punto : Test Drive & Review

I hope this is the right thread to post this query.
Mods please move this to another thread if this is irrelevant here.

I want to have a switch for the DRLs on my car, but I hate the normal switches which are fixed to the dashboard but cutting a hole.

I have the old Emotion variant. On the centre console of the dash, I have the rear defogger ans 5 other dummy switches.
Can I use them as switches. If yes, how? The dealer says that the only way is to buy the Active's complete switch assy for around 1500/-
I somehow don't trust him. Isn't there any way we can use those switches?

If I buy the complete assy, defogger switch will not be available to me since this button/switch is absent in Active.
Also the active's set has other symbols printed on them which are already located somewhere else on the Emotion

Last edited by hemanth.anand : 18th December 2012 at 14:14.
Old 18th December 2012, 14:16   #5522
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
I hope this is the right thread to post this query.
Mods please move this to another thread if this is irrelevant here.

I want to have a switch for the DRLs on my car, but I hate the normal switches which are fixed to the dashboard but cutting a hole.

I have the old Emotion variant. On the centre console of the dash, I have the rear defogger ans 5 other dummy switches.
Can I use them as switches. If yes, how? The dealer says that the only way is to buy the Active's complete switch assy for around 1500/-
I somehow don't trust him. Isn't there any way we can use those switches?

If I buy the complete assy, defogger switch will not be available to me since this button/switch is absent in Active.
Also the active's set has other symbols printed on them which are already located somewhere else on the Emotion
You can use those switches - Find a good electrician
headers is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2012, 23:08   #5523
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
What a coincidence. Just yesterday, I was hopping around asking for the prices for alignment + balancing.

I checked with Lal Tyres and TyreStore. Both quoted 1200 total. 200 for balancing each wheel and 400 for alignment. All this without complementary nitrogen. Total rip-off.
I do agree, the prices are little high. I have done in Lal and XL and the charges are same.

Please remember, we have Alloys that are 15 inch, obviously they charge a premium. Its less for regular steel wheels.

Last week did my 60K balancing & alignment in XL Tyre point, as it is closer to my home (replaced two goodyears with Conti PC2)

Lal always give me complementary nitrogen topup during wheel balancing.
Old 19th December 2012, 23:26   #5524
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dine View Post
Last week did my 60K balancing & alignment in XL Tyre point, as it is closer to my home (replaced two goodyears with Conti PC2)
Did they charge Rs 1300/-?

When we say expensive, its compared to other cities. 15 inch remains the same for them too. :-)

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 19th December 2012 at 23:28.
Old 19th December 2012, 23:59   #5525
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dine View Post

I do agree, the prices are little high. I have done in Lal and XL and the charges are same.

Please remember, we have Alloys that are 15 inch, obviously they charge a premium. Its less for regular steel wheels.

Lal always give me complementary nitrogen topup during wheel balancing.
Well, did WB and WA for my Punto at TyreStore today.

Am a regular there and they did a good job, did not bother about the extra bucks they pocket as I needed this to be done badly. Costed a little over 1.1K. Am really loving and enjoying the drive all over again. Most of the values were offset.

My next schedule would surely be at Madhus, Bangalore. Awesome work, sane pricing.
Old 20th December 2012, 10:48   #5526
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Well, did WB and WA for my Punto at TyreStore today.

Am a regular there and they did a good job, did not bother about the extra bucks they pocket as I needed this to be done badly. Costed a little over 1.1K. Am really loving and enjoying the drive all over again. Most of the values were offset.

My next schedule would surely be at Madhus, Bangalore. Awesome work, sane pricing.
1.1K is on the higher side. I got the wheel balancing and alignment done at Madhus for 680 bucks and one gets free nitrogen top up too.

To top it all, its the high quality of work which makes it even more attractive at the price.

I would definitely recommend Madhus for any tyre rotation, alignment and balancing jobs.
Old 20th December 2012, 12:06   #5527
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post

1.1K is on the higher side. I got the wheel balancing and alignment done at Madhus for 680 bucks and one gets free nitrogen top up too.

To top it all, its the high quality of work which makes it even more attractive at the price.

I would definitely recommend Madhus for any tyre rotation, alignment and balancing jobs.
But the Tyre stores at Chennai have some cartel agreement to charge the same uniformly. We guys at Chennai have enquired at most shops and this is the norm here.

The owner is a T BHPian, and I showed your post to him while he confidentally argued that Madhus also charges the same. I questioned him on the logic behind charging double for balancing alloys, he said he uses sticker weights and they cost hundred each, well TASS uses same weights and the combined prices for weights doesnt even cross hundred for all wheels together.

There are shops which quote 1.3k too. Few less popular ones quote 900 plus. What else to say, we are in Chennai.

Get this, I requested them to remove the stones before balancing and they promptly DID NOT do it.

Last edited by DRIV3R : 20th December 2012 at 12:10.
Old 20th December 2012, 22:05   #5528
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Did they charge Rs 1300/-?

When we say expensive, its compared to other cities. 15 inch remains the same for them too. :-)

Yes they charged me Rs1300/-. Comparatively cheaper in my home town, but I had already run 1000kms over and was planning to a weekend trip during Christmas holidays
Old 20th December 2012, 23:06   #5529
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
But the Tyre stores at Chennai have some cartel agreement to charge the same uniformly. We guys at Chennai have enquired at most shops and this is the norm here.

The owner is a T BHPian, and I showed your post to him while he confidentally argued that Madhus also charges the same. I questioned him on the logic behind charging double for balancing alloys, he said he uses sticker weights and they cost hundred each, well TASS uses same weights and the combined prices for weights doesnt even cross hundred for all wheels together.

There are shops which quote 1.3k too. Few less popular ones quote 900 plus. What else to say, we are in Chennai.

Get this, I requested them to remove the stones before balancing and they promptly DID NOT do it.
For alloy wheels the stick type weights go on. Tyre dealers in Chennai are charging more, no 2 ways about it.

Anyways get it done in Bangalore when you drive down.
Old 21st December 2012, 01:32   #5530
BHPian

Quote:

I agree with krishnap. Prices aside, Madhus is better as the folks are sensitive to your love for your car. When you ask them to remove the stones stuck in the tread before balancing, they do a perfect job. The first time I went there, when I insisted to take the stones out, they said it doesn't matter. So I asked them to do an experiment - check the readings with and without the stones and it did make a difference. The folks were upbeat and they happily complied which was a surprise. Outcome: 1-2 stones here are there do not make a difference, but when it's a few, it does. Of course, the prices are cheapest in town and those folks claim that their meters are always perfectly calibrated. I make it a point to visit these guys for WA and WB. It was only once that I went to tyre plus (or tyre empire?) in HSR layout, 27th main.

Tyre plus does a great job as well, but they keep shoving their training and their precision on your face. When you ask them to take the stones off, they did an 80% job. But they do wash all the wheels, which is a plus. And the prices are on the higher side - about 830 bucks. I had a punctured wheel and I wanted to get it fixed ASAP and they charged around 200-250 for fixing the puncture.

Chennai folks, it's definitely a collusion between the guys in business. And it's not sustainable model and i hope this does not influence other cities. Get it done in Bangalore as long as it lasts.
Old 27th December 2012, 10:13   #5531
BHPian

I've started facing a weird issue on my Punto. There is a random warning light of a bulb failure coming up on the mid and when checked all the lights seem to be functioning. Looks like this could be a software bug. Feeling lazy to visit service center for this - hope this is nothing to worry about immediately. What do you guys think?
Old 27th December 2012, 10:40   #5532
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by punto_ View Post
I've started facing a weird issue on my Punto. There is a random warning light of a bulb failure coming up on the mid and when checked all the lights seem to be functioning. Looks like this could be a software bug. Feeling lazy to visit service center for this - hope this is nothing to worry about immediately. What do you guys think?
You get this MID error when an incorrect wattage bulb is used. Say for example a 4W bulb is used in place of 5W bulb. Though nothing to worry about, the amber light on the MID console is a bit irritating.

Do check the manual for the wattages of all the bulbs and ensure the correct wattage bulb is used.

PS: A loose connection might be causing this too, though not entirely sure of it.
nkrishnap is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2012, 10:44   #5533
BHPian

Quote:
You get this MID error when an incorrect wattage bulb is used. Say for example a 4W bulb is used in place of 5W bulb. Though nothing to worry about, the amber light on the MID console is a bit irritating.

Do check the manual for the wattages of all the bulbs and ensure the correct wattage bulb is used.

PS: A loose connection might be causing this too, though not entirely sure of it.
I am using stock bulbs - never changed them. Yeah, this is annoying sometimes and this error doesn't show up every time - its just random.

Will visit the service center sometime during the weekend.

Last edited by punto_ : 27th December 2012 at 10:46.
Old 27th December 2012, 16:41   #5534
Senior - BHPian

^^: It appears to be a earth fault in your vehicle - Do you have a stereo [ICE] fitted by someone?
Old 27th December 2012, 17:56   #5535
BHPian

I am also getting the electrical failure light in MID, and all my lights and power windows and other stuffs are working fine, but yes I am getting static shocks too often now, need to visit the service center soon.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks