Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th April 2014, 20:36   #6271
BHPian

Guidance on Fiat Punto Grande Active Purchase

Hi Fellas,

I am looking to replace my 14 year old Santro and have been evaluating options in the market (primarily petrol ones). I have seen Grand i10 and I find it quite up-market. Since my budget is around 5.5lakh, my interest is in Grand i10 Sports petrol.

Then recently Fiat Punto Diesel advertisement caught my eye. At less than 5Lakh for Fiat Grande Punto Active Diesel, it seems to be a worthy contender. I called up the dealer and he told me how number of Fiat service stations have gone up after split with joint-venture with Tata. The attendant also assured me that issues with spares and service too has been taken care of. I am planning to visit showroom soon.

Meanwhile I did some research on Fiat Grande Punto Active Diesel. The vehicle is certainly heavier with 1130Kg Kerb weight for Active Diesel. In comparison Dezire VDI is around 1060Kg. Also the turning circle is around 5m.

Therefore, I seek opinion from current owners of Punto on following:
(1) How is he performance of car? Is it too lethargic (owing to extra Kgs)?
(2) How is the ride quality (would be much better than Santro any day but still)?
(3) How is handling of the car? Is there any body roll?
(2) Is the higher turning radius poses problem in day-to-day driving?
(3) Is Service and spares issues have really been sorted out?
(4) Importantly, is it a sane decision to go for Fiat Punto Active diesel instead of Grand i10 Sports petrol?
(5) Any other important point(s) that I would help me in taking right decision.

Appreciate all your help and guidance.
Old 9th April 2014, 21:32   #6272
BHPian

Re: Fiat Grande Punto : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms_rana View Post
Therefore, I seek opinion from current owners of Punto on following:
(2) How is the ride quality (would be much better than Santro any day but still)?
(4) Importantly, is it a sane decision to go for Fiat Punto Active diesel instead of Grand i10 Sports petrol?

Appreciate all your help and guidance.
Having owned 2 Puntos, here are my answers.

The Punto is a good car if you intend to achieve good speed at a steady pace. If you expect it to surge ahead like when you are in urgency, it will disappoint a little big time

Exemplary. Beats many cars many segments above.

Handling is good not great. 2012 versions, with their increased GC, have body roll.

For day-to-day driving - No. But, you might face little trouble on rare occasions.

To a great extent - Yes. But there is still inconsistency in service, labor rates have climbed up as well.

If I were in your shoes and if I'm interested in Punto, I will wait for the new Punto. Anyways to your question - I have not experienced Grand i10, but I can say Punto is arguably one of the best hatchbacks launched in India in sub 10lakhs category.

Wait for New Punto. If you immediately need a car, test drive both the cars. If Punto rings a bell, think about the not-so-good resale and the poor brand value, if still the ring continues, go ahead with Punto else i10.

Last edited by CliffHanger : 9th April 2014 at 21:39.
CliffHanger is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2014, 19:23   #6273
BHPian

Good move from FIAT.. attaching a clip from AutoCar India April edition
Attached Thumbnails
Fiat Grande Punto : Test Drive & Review-photo1.jpg  

Last edited by Twiny : 10th April 2014 at 19:27.
Old 18th April 2014, 12:08   #6274
Distinguished - BHPian

I had decided to upgrade the OEM JK Tyres due to the wobbling issue I faced at higher speeds (link here) before doing a long drive back to Cochin. I called up Madhus last Friday for options and quotes and on Sat went there with the A drives and Z LOs being at the top of my shortlist.

After talking to the young gentleman there (I forgot his name, very helpful chap) I decided to go in for the A drives in 185/70/ 14 based on his recommendation. Despite the steady stream of customers, the work was done quickly and I did get a Tbhp discount as well so I was very satisfied. The only thing was that they didnt have a 5th tyre on Saturday so I had to go back on monday to get that. Again, the work was done quickly. Top marks for service and customer centricity and definitely recommended.

Wrt the tyres, they are definitely a big step up in terms of grip and noise reduction as compared to the OEM set. Braking distance has come down noticeably and it was fun chucking the car around in the few curves between Palakkad and Trichur. Mileage seems to have dropped a bit though. I've always read about how X tyre was better than Y in terms of ABC parameters but for the first time I have actually experienced it .

The thing is though, the wobbling has reduced but is still present. Earlier it used to come in around 80 and the steering wheel used to judder at 100 and at speeds higher than that it used to judder much more to the extent that I would back off to a slower speed. At that point in time I put it down to the old tyres. Yesterday while driving back to Cochin I found it now judders between 90 and 110 and beyond that the steering wheel transmits minor vibes but I can feel these minor vibes through the seats as well. Its not unpleasant but it is noticeable. I'll be taking it to my mechanic tomorrow to see if he can check the suspension and identify if there is some other cause other than the tyres.

On sunday I had planned to check if the high speed issue was eliminated but the smaller sized spare wheel (stock ones were 165s) meant I didn't want to take a risk of going out on a long drive without a usable spare. The only potential source I can think of is that one of the alloys had a higher weight added (100 gms IIRC) which the technician said was due to a minor and barely noticeable bend but the fact that it was placed at the back would mean that it would not cause any issues.

Guys, any suggestions on what to look for to eliminate this problem?

Last edited by neil.jericho : 18th April 2014 at 12:09.
Old 18th April 2014, 14:14   #6275
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
I had decided to upgrade the OEM JK Tyres due to the wobbling issue I faced at higher speeds (link here

The thing is though, the wobbling has reduced but is still present. Earlier it used to come in around 80 and the steering wheel used to judder at 100 and at speeds higher than that it used to judder much more to the extent that I would back off to a slower speed. At that point in time I put it down to the old tyres. Yesterday while driving back to Cochin I found it now judders between 90 and 110 and beyond that the steering wheel transmits minor vibes but I can feel these minor vibes through the seats as well. Its not unpleasant but it is noticeable. I'll be taking it to my mechanic tomorrow to see if he can check the suspension and identify if there is some other cause other than the tyres.

On sunday I had planned to check if the high speed issue was eliminated but the smaller sized spare wheel (stock ones were 165s) meant I didn't want to take a risk of going out on a long drive without a usable spare. The only potential source I can think of is that one of the alloys had a higher weight added (100 gms IIRC) which the technician said was due to a minor and barely noticeable bend but the fact that it was placed at the back would mean that it would not cause any issues.

Guys, any suggestions on what to look for to eliminate this problem?
It's either a wheel balancing issue or you have a damaged alloy wheel. Whats the mileage on your car?
Old 19th April 2014, 09:17   #6276
Senior - BHPian

Anyone looking to upgrade the dynamic/active steel wheels to alloy, there is an offer running:

Fiat Grande Punto : Test Drive & Review-fiat1.jpg

Posted by Fiat India in their FB page
sandsun7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2014, 00:23   #6277
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randhawa View Post
It's either a wheel balancing issue or you have a damaged alloy wheel. Whats the mileage on your car?
Thank Randhawa. I was checking my car today for any other potential causes and while looking at the rear wheels I was surprised to see the weights were normal. On further inspection I realised that the wheel with the 100+ gram weights was on the front right wheel! This seems to be the likely cause.

Im 100% certain I was told that it was going to the back but for now I'll get my mechanic to put the spare up front and check the alloy for any visible signs of damage.

I usually get around 14.x for highway trips but this time I had to add an addition 6.7 litres for the same Bangalore to Cochin distance. I havent done a top up after landing in Cochin so I dont have an exact number but the trip meter showed 13.7 kmpl and it usually is 0.5 kmpl less.

Last edited by neil.jericho : 20th April 2014 at 00:26.
Old 20th April 2014, 01:00   #6278
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thank Randhawa. I was checking my car today for any other potential causes and while looking at the rear wheels I was surprised to see the weights were normal. On further inspection I realised that the wheel with the 100+ gram weights was on the front right wheel! This seems to be the likely cause.

Im 100% certain I was told that it was going to the back but for now I'll get my mechanic to put the spare up front and check the alloy for any visible signs of damage.

I usually get around 14.x for highway trips but this time I had to add an addition 6.7 litres for the same Bangalore to Cochin distance. I havent done a top up after landing in Cochin so I dont have an exact number but the trip meter showed 13.7 kmpl and it usually is 0.5 kmpl less.
By mileage I meant was the ODO reading. Get booth the front wheels balanced and give a visual inspection to the front wheels for any damage. Do let us know what you find so we could help you further if needed.
Old 21st April 2014, 15:50   #6279
BHPian

Quote:
After talking to the young gentleman there (I forgot his name, very helpful chap) I decided to go in for the A drives in 185/70/ 14 based on his recommendation.
For those who plan to upgrade to this profile (185/70/ 14), there is one more option from Yoko, DNA DB Series. I installed them two months back at Madhus.
igniteddriver is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2014, 16:40   #6280
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Guidance on Fiat Punto Grande Active Purchase

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms_rana View Post
...I have seen Grand i10 and I find it quite up-market. Since my budget is around 5.5lakh, my interest is in Grand i10 Sports petrol.

Then recently Fiat Punto Diesel advertisement caught my eye. At less than 5Lakh for Fiat Grande Punto Active Diesel, it seems to be a worthy contender....
What exactly do you want from the car? This question alone can sort out the choice for you.

If it's driving pleasure - Punto for you. It's the look and feel (interior) - Grand i10! If you are buying a Punto, I suggest a good remap too; for ~30K, you will have much better driving pleasure I believe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by igniteddriver View Post
For those who plan to upgrade to this profile (185/70/ 14), there is one more option from Yoko, DNA DB Series. I installed them two months back at Madhus.
It's supposed to be silent tyres right? What's your feedback on those compared to your older tyres? What's the price?

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 21st April 2014 at 16:42.
Old 21st April 2014, 17:27   #6281
BHPian

Re: Guidance on Fiat Punto Grande Active Purchase

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
It's supposed to be silent tyres right? What's your feedback on those compared to your older tyres? What's the price?
The new tires were installed in Feb and I have done some 800+ kms in Bangalore city. I am yet to hit highways.
They are indeed silent, sending only the engine growl to the cabin and give a very soft drive even on rough roads. They give better grip and braking is more efficient. The new tires are more confidence inspiring especially during quick lane changing and cornering. I previously had BS 175/70/14.

Since grip and softness erode only very slowly and gradually, it is difficult to compare. But the new shoes are definitely more comfort-oriented, it seems. More important, the GC is increased by a few MMs, without going for a suspension upgrade.

Price:I paid was Rs.4300/ for a premium drive quality and a little more GC.
igniteddriver is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2014, 21:20   #6282
BHPian

I'm looking to buy a diesel hatch, and have already posted my query here:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/hatchb...ml#post3422034

However, my heart is with the Punto ever since I thought of buying a new car. The variant I'm looking for, is the 1.3 MJD Active.

Went to the FIAT showroom today and checked out the car, TD car wasn't available then, so they sent me a TD car at my home just a short while back. It was a dynamic variant. I simply loved it! Drove the Figo as well today, but the Punto just made me jump like a kid! Maybe because it had my heart even before the TD!

Here's the quote offered: 5.38 lakhs on road, Delhi and I'll exchange my 2007 Estillo Vxi for 1 lakh, so the effective price comes to 4.38 Lakhs. They're throwing in the some freebies as well, like the autocop central locking, door visors and parking sensors. I'll try and push them for more.

So, just want some advise about my decision of going with Punto 1.3 Active. Also, any thoughts about the deal being offered? How far can I push them?
Old 27th April 2014, 21:38   #6283
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abh1nav View Post

So, just want some advise about my decision of going with Punto 1.3 Active. Also, any thoughts about the deal being offered? How far can I push them?
Sound decision and it will better if :

1) You check which year the car was manufactured. Get the VIN and use the decode thread. Ideally if it is 2014 manufactured it will end with AJZ BJZ CJZ or DJZ for Jan to April respectively.

2) If the deal is too good to be true, take quotes from 2 other dealers.
3) If from ready stock: do try to inspect it at the stockyard.

Which dealer may I ask?

Last edited by lapis_lazuli : 27th April 2014 at 21:40.
lapis_lazuli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2014, 21:49   #6284
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapis_lazuli View Post
Which dealer may I ask?
I went to Tuli Fiat, Wazirpur today. However, even Kashyap Fiat Okhla offered 5.40 over the phone last week!

I didn't ask about the manufacturing year today, as Kashyap Fiat had already told me that this deal is for 2014 models.

About inspecting it, I'll surely do a PDI once a finalize my decision and select the color!
Abh1nav is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2014, 22:03   #6285
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abh1nav View Post
I went to Tuli Fiat, Wazirpur today. However, even Kashyap Fiat Okhla offered 5.40 over the phone last week!

I didn't ask about the manufacturing year today, as Kashyap Fiat had already told me that this deal is for 2014 models.

About inspecting it, I'll surely do a PDI once a finalize my decision and select the color!
Good then. Check especially color matching between rear bumper and body. In many fiat dealerships I have seen rear bumpers missing from yet to be delivered cars (bearing trade certificate numbers). These may be transit damage cases. The dealer body-shop paints/repaints bumpers and fit it. Double and triple check this part. You can make out from rear bumper alignment also. It will have some mismatch if fitted at dealership and the paint finish will be somewhat different. Worst part: the white color matching is very difficult with the new "pearly" white shade. It turns yellowish in a fortnight if not done as per Fiat standards of painting. I have witnessed 2 such complaints in the dealership where I visit, both in White delivered few weeks ago. Just do a detailed inspection and you will get a great car. Insist on an absolutely flawless car! No false promises of "woh thik ho jayega first service mein" etc etc. Best of luck!

Last edited by lapis_lazuli : 27th April 2014 at 22:05.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks