Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 13th February 2014, 00:10   #6181
BHPian

Re: Planning to buy a Punto !!!

If spares are a problem in your service centre of choice, you could order them online on 99rpm.com. I'm glad I have that option.

About car washing at the service centre: that's really the last place one should get a wash at IMO. It's generally a good idea to get certain jobs done at the right places: washing at a 3M or similar, wheel balancing at a reputed tyre shop, etc.
nareshov is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th February 2014, 00:45   #6182
BHPian

I had a hyundai santro earlier for 5 years- wanted to change it almost after a year inspite of stellar service by hyundai I just didnt like the car. Then I bought a punto in 2009 and after 40000 km I still look at my car admiringly everyday, feel the happiness during the drive inspite of the years. I actually also own a fortuner and a fabia in the family but would rank the punto on top anyday. I've had my fair share of issues with service centers but I dont think its a big deal. Your choice though - if you love to drive then theres probably nothing in that price range that can match this car.

Last edited by milestogo : 13th February 2014 at 00:46. Reason: Spelling error
milestogo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2014, 02:08   #6183
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemi_kk View Post
Hold on your Horses. Wait !!

You are the best person, to decide on whether you should buy one or not.

- Do you have ~3-4X times of cash in bank, then Go and buy one.
- Are you doing some job and going to pay hard earned money/EMI to buy this, then Don't buy one.

When was Punto Launched? When is it going to be sacked?
It was launched around 7-8 years ago. Life of a product in Today's auto industry is ~10 years. Punto is nearing its dead line and it could be sacked anytime in 2015/16. Then the Resale vale shoots down & Maintenance costs shoot up.

Now, Do you wanna Buy one?
1) Why are you bothered if he's the best judge?
2) My calendar says 2009- 2014 = 5 years. Where did this 7-8 years old come from? Same is the case with i20, swift and many other cars. Just changing the headlamps and bumpers does not make them all new cars. So please don't misguide saying it's a old car.

I seriously doubt such replies with vested interests. When it comes to Fiat, people who have never owned or even driven a fiat for a single time come and start bashing it to death saying service, Spares, resale and stuff.

What if your friend had a Ford Fiesta or a SX4 our say Vento?
Would it get sold for 6 lacs?
One of my friends sold his 2012 top of the line polo for 3 lacs. Does this mean polo is a bad car? It's just your point of view sir. Educate people about safety and not about risking their lives and buying tin cans for better resale.

If you have known parts prices so well, kindly make a comparison chart of other manufacturers v/s Fiat to get to know the facts yourself. You would be amazed to see how wallet friendly Fiat parts are.

Something for the thread owner:
I own a 2009 Linea MJD emotion pack, with 1,12,000/- kms on the ODO. I did not face a single problem that has been highlighted in the subject quote. Apart from regular service nothing much has been there to speak about. Service centers are better than the ones of the leading manufacturers in India trying to hear out what the customer has to say and not to dictate their monopoly.

The best possible ride, handling, mileage, safety, features and looks any car could manage this side of the 10 lac budget. Rock solid built and true admiration guarantee. Trust me you would never repent buying a Fiat!

Go ahead and make the move my friend.
Oranger is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th February 2014, 08:04   #6184
Senior - BHPian

The Fiat spares container, supplying spares to all their warehouses and dealers passes by only once every 3 weeks or once in a month depending upon quantity of spares ordered by dealers. So for every non-critical spares including trivial ones like mudflaps, floor-mats, ORVM, headlight etc, be prepared to wait out for atleast 3 weeks before you can get your hands on them and then once they arrive, they finish really fast and the concept of reserving one spare which you ordered is perhaps absent in Fiat service centres, if anyone else comes in and claims the spare (after talking politely and lovingly, how can the SA refuse the customer) they will provide it to them. So be informed on when the spares arrive and appear at the service centre promptly and get your stuff done without delay. If you delay, then repent at leisure.
Old 13th February 2014, 15:39   #6185
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prmd_cochin View Post

Hows the serviceability of Fiat cars? Have they improved over the years?
Are there issues with spare parts availability?
Any review of Fiat dealer in Kochi, Hyson ?

Anyone who can help, please !!!
I would like to ask you to wait for a few more months so that the new Punto would be launched with better interiors and a freshened up face. Regarding service, I would rate it as good from my own as well as my friends and relatives experience who own puntos. Service costs can be termed as low to average considering you service your car at 15k kms or 1 year. AFAIK a punto diesel costs anywhere between 5k-8k for regular service from Hyson. My Polo costs about 9-11k for each service. Since service interval is 15k costs per km would be comparable to most other best sellers. My Linea costed 3200, 3800, 7700 and 6400 for past 4 annual services which I think is actually low compared to most other cars from the same segment . May be I was lucky or its because my usage is less. Spares too are pretty cheap according to my friends. Especially things like mirrors which get hit more often.

Any issue with the car which hasn't been rectified to satisfaction can be dealt with by shooting a mail to mangesh kodalkar. It has worked every time with me and my friends and has given me lot of confidence in service. You get a reply within hours and the next day they call you and put you on a conference call with the dealer until everything is sorted out. Resale value shouldn't be a problem if you intend to keep your car for 5 years. In the present situation most cars except swift and innova depreciate quickly. And regarding the car if you have driven it and liked it, just go for it. It's the best in the segment when it comes to looks, build, handling, ride quality, brakes etc. Driving experience is unmatched by its competitors. New punto will have better interiors too. The spongy gear box would be the only negative.

And regarding ownership experience there will be lot of people who would criticize you for buying a fiat. One category consists of those who have never driven, owned or even sat in a fiat but simply bash fiat for reasons unknown. Then we have others who would come to you to know whether this car is really bad or not. Those who appreciate a fiat is too less. To the first category of people I always remain silent. There's no use in talking to them and they just don't deserve this car. To the second category I just show them what this car is and they probably end up buying or considering a fiat for their next purchase. From my experience there were just two people who congratulated me for buying a Linea. While many people came up to me to see my polo and wish me for that. So if you like the punto you can go for it irrespective of what others say. Whenever I speak about safety I hear people talking about Princess Dianas and Paul walkers death. What should I say? Does any one leave their cars unlocked saying that cars can get stolen even if you lock it? Princess Diana wasn't wearing any seat belt. If you can drive responsibly and wear a seat belt a punto will offer you more safety than any other car in the same segment.

Last edited by Eddy : 13th February 2014 at 21:57. Reason: Improving readability
SUPERSPORT is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th February 2014, 19:38   #6186
Senior - BHPian

Re: Fiat Grande Punto : Test Drive & Review

After having driven a few hundred kms in a brand new Punto, the gearbox now slots in with a click. Is it normal or am I just imagining it. It's like click second, click third, click fourth and click back second again.
Old 13th February 2014, 20:19   #6187
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prmd_cochin View Post
...After some deliberations have gathered enough courage to decide on a Fiat Punto. But before making the final splash deemed is sensible to ask here about a few things?

Hows the serviceability of Fiat cars? Have they improved over the years?
Are there issues with spare parts availability?...
Two of my friends own a Fiat (Linea & Punto). Both of them are NOT hard core enthusiasts either. What I have noticed is below

Linea was serviced in Concorde Cochin and his experience was nothing short of exceptional. He had some issues with the car - so asked them to send a driver to pick up the car for servicing. Next day, he wakes up to a flat bed truck waiting in front of his home. All the parts with issues were covered in warranty; NO questions asked.

My friend's Punto gets serviced in Trivandrum (NOT sure of the dealer), but his service bills are never below 10K. I am NOT too sure whether there is any additional items included in the service either.

At the same dearth, I have read on this very forum about the callous attitude of the Fiat caffe executives in managing to drive away people who "dare" to step into their showrooms.

If you are the one who wants a perfect vehicle, this is NOT the one for you. This car is for the ones who do NOT mind niggles, fit & finish issues but who "wants" to forget all these when they are behind the wheels.

TD all the cars well - if high speed stability / steering feedback is NOT your prime criteria, there are better options in the market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oranger View Post
1) Why are you bothered if he's the best judge? ...
The one who wants to buy a car is ultimately the BEST judge of what he wants; Not the ones who advise him.

Quote:
...Same is the case with i20, swift and many other cars. Just changing the headlamps and bumpers does not make them all new cars.......
If you are talking about Swift, please do spend some more time about the current gen vehicle before making the second statement in your life again.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 13th February 2014 at 20:21.
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2014, 21:26   #6188
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post

If you are talking about Swift, please do spend some more time about the current gen vehicle before making the second statement in your life again.
I do not intended to criticize the swift in anyway. The point you highlighted is valid and will really stand good when the new Punto and linea with new interiors and exterior tweaks arrive. I am damn sure there would be hell lot of criticism here.

I have been working for Maruti for quite a good time and that makes me write these lines. Hope you understand that it's nothing about hurting an individuals sentiments. :thumbup:
Old 13th February 2014, 21:43   #6189

Quote:
Two of my friends own a Fiat (Linea & Punto). Both of them are NOT hard core enthusiasts either. What I have noticed is below

Linea was serviced in Concorde Cochin and his experience was nothing short of exceptional. He had some issues with the car - so asked them to send a driver to pick up the car for servicing. Next day, he wakes up to a flat bed truck waiting in front of his home. All the parts with issues were covered in warranty; NO questions asked.

If you are the one who wants a perfect vehicle, this is NOT the one for you. This car is for the ones who do NOT mind niggles, fit & finish issues but who "wants" to forget all these when they are behind the wheels.

TD all the cars well - if high speed stability / steering feedback is NOT your prime criteria, there are better options in the maret
FIAT makes wonderful cars but the service centers/mechanics there are not skilled enough or competent to fix the issues. Most of the times they try to convince you to hide their incompetence and say "The car is absolutely normal". I agree on the service issues.

But, when it comes to warranty claims, I haven't seen a generous manufacturer like FIAT.
(All 4 Struts, Vaccum tank of Turbocharger, Clutch kit replaced twice) all under warranty without any hassles barring the trouble you face of visit service centers frequently.

I have to leave my car at service center again for clutch related issue on Monday and I don't know when I would get it back. But still, every time I am behind the steering wheel, I love every mile crunched on this car.

P.S Statements made above are based on my personal experience, been owning a Punto 90HP past 1 year and 17500 kms done.
Old 14th February 2014, 06:21   #6190
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
(All 4 Struts, Vaccum tank of Turbocharger, Clutch kit replaced twice) all under warranty without any hassles barring the trouble you face of visit service centers frequently. P.S Statements made above are based on my personal experience, been owning a Punto 90HP past 1 year and 17500 kms done.
Either you are a rash driver and also do not give a damn about the suspension while driving over potholes or poor roads or this is poor advertisement for Fiat. Struts, Clutch kit and Turbocharger peripherals replaced within 18000 kms ?
Old 14th February 2014, 11:48   #6191

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker View Post
Either you are a rash driver and also do not give a damn about the suspension while driving over potholes or poor roads or this is poor advertisement for Fiat. Struts, Clutch kit and Turbocharger peripherals replaced within 18000 kms ?
No, the struts were faulty right from day 1. I used to feel sitting on a wooden bench despite playing around with Tyre pressure. (It could happen with any car, I know a guys whose XUV had suspension issue in first 2000 kms).

I don't drive rash as Bangalore traffic won't permit me to and on highways am a sedate driver who likes to cruise at steady speeds. I would say the drive comprises of 80% city and 20% highways.

Yes, all the above mentioned parts were replaced under warranty. I don't know if I have to doubt my driving skills after 11 years of driving or doubt the poor skills of the service center guys who do not know how to fix cars
Old 14th February 2014, 12:07   #6192
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
...Hope you understand that it's nothing about hurting an individuals sentiments. :thumbup:
Absolutely NOT! It's ONLY that we need to make completely fair statements which made me point out that. When certain companies make some seriously good cars, it becomes an extremely difficult job for them to design a new gen. Case in examples :: Swift / Civic / Linea / Punto (looks). So they stick on to evolutionary designs than a completely new one for the sake of "playing safely".

Quote:
Originally Posted by imranshks View Post
....But, when it comes to warranty claims, I haven't seen a generous manufacturer like FIAT...
The ONLY reason (as of now) for me to consider a Fiat. I have seen this myself & was thoroughly impressed.

Quote:
....(All 4 Struts, Vaccum tank of Turbocharger, Clutch kit replaced twice) all under warranty without any hassles barring the trouble you face of visit service centers frequently.

P.S Statements made above are based on my personal experience, been owning a Punto 90HP past 1 year and 17500 kms done.
Man, that's some list of issues in the first year of service!! And close to 20K kms in one year!!

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 14th February 2014 at 12:11.
Old 14th February 2014, 12:27   #6193
Senior - BHPian

I am a newcomer to Fiat family, and availed the Dec discounts and intend to service my car in Kerala, around Ktym region. A new service centre has just opened there and what I witnessed there was utter confusion. There is no process like at that in Toyota, since I have visited Toyota service centre too, to service a Corolla and they are like pin point precise in attending to complaints and very good at communicating and resolving issues to your satisfaction. In fact you feel like 'paisa-vasool' after exiting from their service centre. And costs are very reasonable.

Meanwhile, in the Fiat service centre, I was met with utter all-round confusion and there seemed to be no 'process' in place like in Toyota or Maruti to attend to the customers in a scientific manner. It was each one to himself. And the SAs and mechanics also looked hassled and slightly confused at times though their attitude was earnest. I was wondering that if with such a small number of cars, this was the situation what would be the situation if a far higher number of cars presents itself for service.

As per reports that I got, the dealer exceeded their targets for Dec and Jan, most likely due to this offer and a record number of cars were dispatched from their warehouses. Without a proper process in place, I doubt if it would be a pleasurable experience, both for the dealer and customer.
Old 14th February 2014, 12:35   #6194
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker View Post
I am a newcomer to Fiat family, and availed the Dec discounts and intend to service my car in Kerala, around Ktym region. A new service centre has just opened there and what I witnessed there was utter confusion...
Marikar Fiat?? Could you tell me the location of the service centre?
Old 14th February 2014, 13:09   #6195
BHPian

Quote:

My friend's Punto gets serviced in Trivandrum (NOT sure of the dealer), but his service bills are never below 10K. I am NOT too sure whether there is any additional items included in the service either.
With Fiat, service quality depends a lot on the dealer that you have unlike a maruthi , Toyota or hyundai where you can leave your car at any dealership and have peace of mind. During tata fiat period concorde cochin used to give good service while RF motors was absolute pathetic. One guy in my neighbourhood ( was the first person to buy a punto in our area) gave his punto to RF motors for service and had to pay 10k without any bill and car broke down next day. He was so angry that he decided to service his car in local garages since then. I haven't been able to contact him for the past few years. With concorde too I have got a few really small hairline scratches near the bonnet after service. It ain't a big issue but is better not to have it. So I always try to be cautious when I give my linea for service. I try to get an SA I know and check teambhp to know what all things are changed and doesn't allow them to do wheel alignment either. And it has worked good for me and my friends.

Quote:

But, when it comes to warranty claims, I haven't seen a generous manufacturer like FIAT.
(All 4 Struts, Vaccum tank of Turbocharger, Clutch kit replaced twice) all under warranty without any hassles barring the trouble you face of visit service centers frequently.
OMG that's a big list of replacements for a new car. They are generous with warranty claims but I wouldn't be happy with so many things going wrong. Clutch kit replaced twice? In my car other than the clutch slave cylinder and AC upgrade ( both recalls) nothing has been changed yet. I hope that list doesn't change. There are niggles but most of them have been manageable and nothing serious.
SUPERSPORT is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed