Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th October 2013, 12:42   #6046
BHPian

Re: Fiat Grande Punto : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by avira_tk View Post
Has anyone faced the twin warnings of the immobilizer(lock symbol around car) and a text warning on the MID saying ABS is not functional(not the exact message but something similar), the ABS warning happened only once, the immobilizer light is more frequent . My car is a Feb 2011 MJD Punto with about 51k on the odo.

The battery is not supposed to be in such great shape, I have a long trip coming up, can anyone explain the lock symbol?
On my linea this used to happen when the battery was a bit low.

During those times I used to see a lot of these tantrums.
Sometime it would say ABS failure, Some times it would Airbags failure and sometime the security light would be on.

Basically it will scare you and you would just call off the trip. I mean who would want to drive with ABS failure written when your loved ones are with you.

I was so scared when it said ABS failure that I refused to move the car after I made a highway food stop.

Called up my SA and he said "no problem you battery is low". wait for some time crank your engine and then it will go off. ihad hard time believing him because the lights radio and the fan were working. How can that happen if battery is low ?

But true to his words the after sometime the car figured that it was time to start now.

The mental depression or agony it creates cannot be explained in words. Middle of a journey with all the members in the family waiting for your car to start so that they can continue.
figo_mba is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th October 2013, 14:15   #6047
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriramr9 View Post
this is the first beating that the engine had taken as part of physical abuse. Counting on your replies .
I've come to a stop a few times , but they were all under start stop conditions. Such as on a steep slope or in traffic with a mis-adjustment of the clutch. I wouldn't worry too much about any damage to the car, especially if you're not seeing any noticeable problem.

Just drive and enjoy your ride.
sdp1975 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th October 2013, 19:48   #6048
Senior - BHPian

An update for those getting a new battery, replaced my OEM exide after nearly 2 years and 8 months with an Amaron, don't have the model details right now. Total damage was 5400, including 500 buyback for the Exide one.
avira_tk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2013, 20:43   #6049
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by figo_mba View Post
ihad hard time believing him because the lights radio and the fan were working. How can that happen if battery is low ?
But true to his words the after sometime the car figured that it was time to start now. .
May be it just means that the battery is not providing enough power to start the engine. "ABS unavailable" seems to be just a random error message out of a series of possible warning indications, which may also include Airbag failure, blinking odo, engine locked light, and even a blank MID while cranking. The last one comes when there is nothing left in the battery.
I had seen all these errors before I replaced my battery a year back.
Old 11th October 2013, 13:58   #6050
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriramr9 View Post
My primary concern is apart from turbo what will be the effect of internals especially about the beating that the drive shaft would have taken along with the associated gear engaged with clutch released half way when
vehicle was in motion (25 kmph). I did drive the car after that and did not feel any difference in play/ pickup/ strange noise from engine compartment or while applying gear.
Hi Sriram,

Did you got any issues after the incident. My swift got the same once i give it to my friend. He was in US for some time and was driving an automatic. We were on a highway doing triple digit speeds. He applied break nearby a speed breaker and didnt press clutch. Car stopped there with headlamp on. I didnt faces any issues after that but not sure internaly some damage happen or not. If you got any method to check it, please let me know.
Old 13th October 2013, 14:14   #6051
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devil_klm View Post
Car stopped there with headlamp on. I didn't faces any issues after that but not sure internally some damage happen or not. If you got any method to check it, please let me know.

The same thing happened albeit in slow speeds. He is driving a Honda City which has a shorter clutch travel, hence he could not depress clutch fully to correct the gears within time. I am sure there is some internal damage, many overlook the issue stating nothing to worry about. My gut feeling is there would have been an violent abrasion on both cogs.though they would be well lubricated/greased. It still looks like a gray area and looking for someone here to discuss this. Learners do stall their/driving school cars 100 s of times everyday and it s generally ignored as a trivial matter.

I feel knowledge in this area is vital as manual transmission cars are more susceptible to such internal damages. After the episode, i feel the gear shift a tad more smoother than earlier. Seems strange though. I shall update you for sure.

Last edited by sriramr9 : 13th October 2013 at 14:35.
Old 14th October 2013, 11:17   #6052
BHPian

Engine oil colour? What to do?

I have a quick question on my Punto GP D Emotion that has run 9K since Feb 2013. I had my first service close to 5K mark from Pandit Bavdhan. Yesterday, when I was casually looking at Engine Oil status, I noticed a distinct black colour on the dip stick. Is this normal for a 9K run car? My Engine Temp gauge stays at half mark, so, is it safe to assume that there is no serious risk to engine thus far? I remember that Engine Oils was topped up during 1st service.

What should be my course of action?
Old 14th October 2013, 11:48   #6053
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmplog View Post
I have a quick question on my Punto GP D Emotion that has run 9K since Feb 2013. I had my first service close to 5K mark from Pandit Bavdhan. Yesterday, when I was casually looking at Engine Oil status, I noticed a distinct black colour on the dip stick. Is this normal for a 9K run car? My Engine Temp gauge stays at half mark, so, is it safe to assume that there is no serious risk to engine thus far? I remember that Engine Oils was topped up during 1st service.

Relax. This is normal for all diesel engines. Think you've been driving a petrol all this while. :-D
fiat_tarun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2013, 16:39   #6054
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post
Relax. This is normal for all diesel engines. Think you've been driving a petrol all this while. :-D
Thanks. Indeed, been driving Petrol before Punto! :-)
Old 14th October 2013, 22:59   #6055
Senior - BHPian

Re: Engine oil colour? What to do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmplog View Post

As Fiat Tarun has rightly pointed out, a diesel engine oil becoming black after certain kms is absolutely normal. On burning of diesel the soot that gets deposited on the cylinder walls, valve bodies etc is washed away by the engine oil, hence it becomes dark. Within 1K-2K kms of changing engine oil the fresh oil starts turning dark. This is only because of the fine carbon particles that it carries, but nothing to worry about.

Your temperature needle staying put at the half way mark, means that the engine temperature is rising, but then the radiator fan is switching "ON" & aiding faster cooling. Once the radiator fan starts the engine temperature & hence the needle should start dropping back from the half way mark. Make sure that the temperatur needle never crosses the half way mark as that could be dangerous to the engine.

Hope this helps remove your doubts & you can enjoy your car more
AutoIndian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2013, 08:28   #6056
Senior - BHPian

The engine temperature needle mark always stays a notch above the half way mark in the Punto MJD.

Thats absolutely normal.
Old 17th October 2013, 16:18   #6057
BHPian

Guys, my car is due for shoe change.

I'm considering 195/65/R15 instead of the usual 195/60/R15.

Is it advisable? Will there be a problem of tyre touching the wheel well while turning?
Old 17th October 2013, 16:54   #6058
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffHanger View Post
Guys, my car is due for shoe change.

I'm considering 195/65/R15 instead of the usual 195/60/R15.

Is it advisable? Will there be a problem of tyre touching the wheel well while turning?
Not at all. The overall dia increases just by few mm, and there are a handful of people who are running this size already without any issues. You would have slightly better comfort due to increased sidewall height.
DRIV3R is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2013, 12:47   #6059
BHPian

My Punto sports is due for delivery sometimes early next month & I can't decide on the Door Visors. I know they did add some value during rains but the hit I take is on the asthetics & wind noise at high speeds.

Just wanted to hear the thoughts of existing owners ?
Old 18th October 2013, 22:33   #6060
Senior - BHPian

Linea Braking sound from front callipers

In my '09 Linea mjd (65k kms), whenever I apply brakes, whether however slow I am, I hear a slight *klink* noise from the front Brake area, asif its from the calipers.

Braking is *touchwood* excellent, even the noise doesn't irritate me or anything, but any idea what it could be? Such sounds surely shouldn't be coming.

Pls help

Last edited by GrammarNazi : 18th October 2013 at 22:33. Reason: typo

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks