Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd October 2013, 21:54   #6076
Senior - BHPian

Re: Fiat Grande Punto : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by gp_fanatico View Post
Apart for the ongoing debate, I personally want to go for a change in the suspension on my 60K+driven 2009 Punto. I drive mostly in the cities, more than 1200 Kms a month. What would you suggest (Based on driving comfort)? the GC upgrade or the older suspension setup?
Unless you are actually facing a lot of issues with scraping the guard, I dont see much point in shifting.

The roads in my city are very good and even on highway drives the car mostly sticks to the major highways. Thus I have never had a problem. Also I have the petrol car, which on account of being lighter has a slightly higer GC as it is. So I never felt the need to shift.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
Obviously the old. I am a guy who downgraded the 2012 75HP suspension to the old one paying from my pocket when car was 14k kms old. This decision I took after experiencing the stiff setup in this car while myself and bro exchaged cars.

If you want comfort and can afford to scrape the engine guard occasionally its the old setup with eyes closed.
Actually, the older 2009 Puntos I have always felt are the stiffest of the lot. This is especially so at the rear, due to the fact that the earliest Puntos had a rear anti roll bar like the Linea which adds to the stiffness. The weight-shedding some time in early 2010 means this roll bar was skipped.

Personally, I dont see any significant difference in ride quality between the two setups.

Like I said, to me the major and only significant difference is in the looks department.
julupani is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2013, 12:08   #6077

Gentlemen, How can i get USB connectivity for my 2013 punto active stock stereo? Thanks in advance.
Old 29th October 2013, 16:31   #6078
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortshift View Post
Gentlemen, How can i get USB connectivity for my 2013 punto active stock stereo? Thanks in advance.
As far as I recollect, I don't think the Active version comes with an integrated audio system. Do you mean you want to retrofit the stock music system into your Punto Active ?? If you are referring to audio systems in the aftermarket route, you have a plethora of options to choose from, perhaps the ICE section on this forum could be of help:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-entertainment/

Last edited by KarthikK : 29th October 2013 at 16:34.
KarthikK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2013, 16:43   #6079
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortshift View Post
Newer stock HUs in Punto are manufactured by Delphi and there is no way you can have USB support in them, this is what I got to know after a lot of research. In earlier ones which had Blaupankt HUs, we could at least activate the aux.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post
As far as I recollect, I don't think the Active version comes with an integrated audio system
Active variant does come with an integrated HU since the 2012 facelift. Post 2012 Active and pre 2012 Dynamic variants have the same/similar features.
sandsun7 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th October 2013, 19:01   #6080
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsun7 View Post
Newer stock HUs in Punto are manufactured by Delphi and there is no way you can have USB support in them, this is what I got to know after a lot of research. In earlier ones which had Blaupankt HUs, we could at least activate the aux.

Active variant does come with an integrated HU since the 2012 facelift. Post 2012 Active and pre 2012 Dynamic variants have the same/similar features.
Thanks for that information sandeep, but I was a little confused with this content in the official brochure under in-car-entertainment:
https://www.fiat-india.com/brochures...o_Brochure.pdf

Doesn't USB support exist already in the head unit?? I thought that was the same usb slot which is in the glovebox. Or does the Active version's HU just have CD+FM player and no USB support?
Old 29th October 2013, 19:12   #6081
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Doesn't USB support exist already in the head unit?? I thought that was the same usb slot which is in the glovebox. Or does the Active version's HU just have CD+FM player and no USB support?
Karthik, USB is a function of the Blue&Me unit which integrates with the HU and is independant.

In Active versions, AUX in can be activated, am not sure if it is possible on the Delphi unit though.
DRIV3R is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2013, 19:25   #6082
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFS2024 View Post
but the only thing I couldnt come around was the body roll. I really felt dizzy after a high speed run of around 50kms during the test drive, havent felt this way in any other car. I drive a remapped approx 90bhp swift (104hp).
Did you drive the same TD car all the 3 times ?

Because, the way you explained it, sounded like someone swapped a Verna suspension with the Punto's .

Also, since you are considering the ride, you can try any of our/friend's rides as well. Though, I run the bone stock 2009 set up, but you can use it for a comparo.

That a remap can do wonders is evident when the Red Rocket goes past! The 1st & 2nd gears are short and a irritant in the city. However, once you hit some nice hilly roads, the advantage starts showing. Although, it wasnt fair of Fiat to shortshift us on the Euro spec gearbox.

Meanwhile, another question on the ICE bit. Since I run the Gen1 version, I am blessed with the older version of B&M. I have updated all the patches and yet she refuses to play anything with a higher bitrate :(
Basically, I am sitting with a decent speaker set up and a crappy input. Heck, my wife's Spark with a Pioneer HU sounds as good with a Kicker+JBL combo (which was less than half the price)
So, what are the fixes?

Last edited by aqualeo2040 : 29th October 2013 at 19:27.
aqualeo2040 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2013, 19:49   #6083
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for that information sandeep, but I was a little confused with this content in the official brochure under in-car-entertainment:
https://www.fiat-india.com/brochures...o_Brochure.pdf
That brochure does indicate that integrated CD+FM player is present in all versions, but with 4 speakers only in Active/Dynamic variants and with 6 speakers in Emotion/emotion 90HP variants. The way they have represented the information does confuse everyone

Fiat Grande Punto : Test Drive & Review-clipboard01.jpg
First two columns for active and dynamic respectively. Next two for Emotion and Emtion 90HP respectively.
Meanwhile, this information regarding the difference in number of speakers is new for me!

Quote:
Or does the Active version's HU just have CD+FM player and no USB support?
Yes, thats exactly how it is, in both Active and Dynamic variants. Mine is a 2012 Dynamic, so I am absolutely sure about that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
In Active versions, AUX in can be activated, am not sure if it is possible on the Delphi unit though.
This facility is not available in the newer Delphi systems. Simple test to see whether you can enable aux would be to press the CD button twice. If on the second press, 'AUX' is displayed in the LCD panel, then the same can be enabled by using a specific cable.

Last edited by sandsun7 : 29th October 2013 at 19:52.
sandsun7 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2013, 12:59   #6084
BHPian

People...! Happy Diwali!

My love-hate Punto 1.2 has completed 16000 kms.

The car is 19 months old, mostly reliable.

Niggle free? Not at all.

ASS experience? Well, not bad!

Accidents: a few, but the sturdy build has only left a few nicks here and there.
Mileage? Outstanding!
Paint quality? Horrible!
Build quality? Great!
Ride quality: Comfortable and to my family and friends liking! Well, mostly!

Latest issue: Weak battery, first time in the morning or after a 5-6 hour resting period, may need 2-3 cranks to start. Diagnosed to be a battery with less "gravity" was 1180 I think. Time to charge it at home!

Latest resolved niggle: The seat rattle, it is the latch indeed, tightened, aligned and made noise-free (by "Sabir the denter" at Oberoi 63, 1st November, 13)

Latest niggle to have cropped up: A squeak from the front left. Almost random, seems like from the seat, or, the rear view mirror, or the dash... Can't make out for sure though! Pointers?

Latest voluntary expense: LHS fender lining replaced at Oberoi. Cost including labour 770/-. Lining and screw/washers costs 380/- rest is labour and taxes !

OSI (overall satisfaction index ) : 8.5/10
Attached Thumbnails
Fiat Grande Punto : Test Drive & Review-img_20131031_175454.jpg  

Fiat Grande Punto : Test Drive & Review-img_20131031_175604.jpg  

Fiat Grande Punto : Test Drive & Review-img_20131031_175506.jpg  

Fiat Grande Punto : Test Drive & Review-img_20131031_175524.jpg  

Last edited by lapis_lazuli : 2nd November 2013 at 13:11.
lapis_lazuli is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2013, 13:47   #6085
DKG
Senior - BHPian

I've been using a 2009 Punto 1.3 multijet emotion plus version which I bought in 2011 for 3.5 lakes with only 8000 Kms on the clock and in short it's turned out to be a real surprise and unbelievable value. I love the way it drives, has a big car feel and all the bells and whistles you'd want in a hatch.
Old 2nd November 2013, 15:36   #6086
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapis_lazuli View Post
Niggle free? Not at all.

ASS experience? Well, not bad!

Paint quality? Horrible!
Still OSI of 8.5/10 Story of all Fiat fans. Irrespective of the no. of niggles, we always remain satisfied with our cars.

Start compiling a long-term ownership review of your car. With the number of trips that you have made to Oberoi and the calls/emails that you have exchanged with them, it will make an interesting read.

Happy Diwali!
Biraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2013, 21:29   #6087
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Need Help guys .

On Cold starts ( Punto is in snowy Himachal ) I am seeing "check Oil Pressure error, Shut engine" error regularly on Mid . It usually crops up when starting the car &temp is climbing the temp gauge and once it;s in middle it never comes up. It Usually goes off after flashing for 1-2 seconds. Is there some thing i should be worried about or is it due to Battery or is sensor acting up. About Which Oil pressure this error is coming up. Checked the engine Oil, it;s showing at Normal levels .

car is 2 years Old and has done some 20000 KM's. looking for clues here as going to service center would mean a 400 KM;s round trip .
Old 8th November 2013, 18:59   #6088
Senior - BHPian

Fiat India has quoted T-BHP and GTO in their latest Facebook ad post for Punto.

Name:  Fiat_india_fb.png
Views: 1882
Size:  412.0 KB
Shows how seriously auto makers take the forum! Hope they take and act upon the feedback shared by the members too.
sandsun7 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th November 2013, 19:24   #6089
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .sushilkumar View Post
Need Help guys .

On Cold starts ( Punto is in snowy Himachal ) I am seeing "check Oil Pressure error, Shut engine" error regularly on Mid . It usually crops up when starting the car &temp is climbing the temp gauge and once it;s in middle it never comes up. It Usually goes off after flashing for 1-2 seconds. Is there some thing i should be worried about or is it due to Battery or is sensor acting up. About Which Oil pressure this error is coming up. Checked the engine Oil, it;s showing at Normal levels .

car is 2 years Old and has done some 20000 KM's. looking for clues here as going to service center would mean a 400 KM;s round trip .
Ideally, the oil pressure should be higher in cold conditions thus you shouldn't face low pressure related warnings. When was the oil changed last time? It's better to get it checked especially because your car is close to the standard warranty. A dealer in Mandi (Ram Hari Car) is mentioned in the Fiat website, not sure whether it's functional but you might want to call on the number mentioned there.
Biraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2013, 21:10   #6090
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biraj View Post
Ideally, the oil pressure should be higher in cold conditions thus you shouldn't face low pressure related warnings. When was the oil changed last time? It's better to get it checked especially because your car is close to the standard warranty. A dealer in Mandi (Ram Hari Car) is mentioned in the Fiat website, not sure whether it's functional but you might want to call on the number mentioned there.
Thanks Biraj. I guess you are referring to Engine Oil change. it was done at 15,000 KM;s service . Dip stick is showing correct level of engine oil in car so suspect anything on that front. could be sensor .

As for Hari Om Motors goes, they are just for sales. Service center is not functional and i think it will not start for another few months.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks