Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th November 2013, 11:16   #6091
Senior - BHPian

Re: Fiat Grande Punto : Test Drive & Review

Can we fit a gear lock in Punto? Sorry for this question but Kashyap Fiat Okhla is not able to provide me an answer.

I have booked one yesterday 75 HP Emosion Trim.

I am okay with both a pin type or a U shape type, but would prefer to have one in the car.

Cheers
Old 18th November 2013, 11:36   #6092
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by i74js View Post
Can we fit a gear lock in Punto?
Yes, the U-shape one is possible. I have seen it in my friend's Punto. I don't have it in my T-jet or Punto because I prefer the pin type over the U-type gear lock. He got it from some accessory shop in Sector 16, Noida.
Old 19th November 2013, 14:45   #6093
BANNED

Even if you could, i would advise not to get it installed. Reason: First, immobiliser makes it impossible for anybody to steal it, unless your key's security is compromised. Second, nobody steals a fiat. Hence it's a wastage of money (gear lock) and also a headache to lock/unlock everytime you get in/out of car.
chaudh2s is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2013, 15:59   #6094
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaudh2s View Post
Even if you could, i would advise not to get it installed. Reason: First, immobiliser makes it impossible for anybody to steal it, unless your key's security is compromised. Second, nobody steals a fiat. Hence it's a wastage of money (gear lock) and also a headache to lock/unlock everytime you get in/out of car.
Definitely agree on the headache part, once I travelled in my friends car for a long trip which is fitted with gear lock and it's really a headache.
Nobody steals a fiat, wondering why?
Old 21st November 2013, 14:02   #6095
BANNED

Fiat's in India are a rare breed (selling just around 1-2K units per month for the past decade or so). A thief' psyche is normally to get rid of the stolen bit as quickly as possible or get lost in the crowd (to reduce his chances of getting caught). A Fiat for one, is very difficult to sell (when people of afraid of buying new, who will buy a used one) and secondly, it's very easy to spot a fiat in a crowd.
So, my statement is all relative. There might be some Fiat's that do get stolen but their number would be very negligible. Only some daredevils would be stealing them. Ordinary thief's would be happy stealing swifts, indicas, etc.
Old 21st November 2013, 21:08   #6096
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaudh2s View Post
Fiat's in India are a rare breed (selling just around 1-2K units per month for the past decade or so). A thief' psyche is normally to get rid of the stolen bit as quickly as possible or get lost in the crowd (to reduce his chances of getting caught). A Fiat for one, is very difficult to sell (when people of afraid of buying new, who will buy a used one) and secondly, it's very easy to spot a fiat in a crowd.
So, my statement is all relative. There might be some Fiat's that do get stolen but their number would be very negligible. Only some daredevils would be stealing them. Ordinary thief's would be happy stealing swifts, indicas, etc.
I think this should be one more valid reason to buy Punto.

Seriously, I was considering to buy the Punto as my next car. It has tank like build quality and offering ABS from Dynamic edition itself. The only bad thing is it has bad interiors, Ancient Egypt era music system + worst sounding speakers etc. Currently, I'm just waiting for the next edition of Punto. Hopefully, they would overcome these things in the 2014 model.
Old 23rd November 2013, 00:27   #6097
Senior - BHPian

Will be going to look at a used Punto 90 HP over the weekend, need to know what range I should quote for this car, these are the details:
  • Is a Sept 2011 make with 43500 on the odo
  • 45k service due
  • New tyres(apollo make)
  • A few scratches on the bumper,right rear door and rear fender.
  • No warranty or extended warranty
  • Owner has quoted 5.65 which I feel is on the higher side

I have NCB from my old car and would like to negotiate a price without Insurance, how much should I quote ? Carwale lists price at 5.15 if the car is in excellent condition.

Also, any pointers on known issues with 2011 Punto's I should specifically check for ?
Old 23rd November 2013, 00:39   #6098
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
Will be going to look at a used Punto 90 HP over the weekend, need to know what range I should quote for this car, these are the details:
  • 45k service due
  • New tyres(apollo make)

I have NCB from my old car and would like to negotiate a price without Insurance, how much should I quote ? Carwale lists price at 5.15 if the car is in excellent condition.

Also, any pointers on known issues with 2011 Punto's I should specifically check for ?
If it is a Sept 2011 car, the 2 year service which is a major one should have been done by now. Going by your post I guess it is not done? It is a lapse then. It includes change of all fluids.

Check the service records of the car.

There are no specific issues with that batch of 2011 cars. Check for AC effectiveness.
DRIV3R is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2013, 01:03   #6099
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
  • 45k service due
  • New tyres(apollo make)
...Also, any pointers on known issues with 2011 Punto's I should specifically check for ?
@~20+10% depreciation, IMO ~5.6L would be a good price if its in excellent condition. Take it to the Service Center and ask them how much it'll cost to repair/service it to bring it to optimum performance. Whatever they quote, reduce that from the above price and maybe some more if the interior needs detailing.

AFAIK, the major service is at 60K kms, not 45K kms. Still, you must negotiate keeping in mind that 15,000 kms isn't far away, coz within 6 - 9 months you may have to spend ~25k INR for that service.

I feel you're/carwale is right with the 5 to 5.15L quote actually.

Last edited by GrammarNazi : 23rd November 2013 at 01:10. Reason: 5.1 is a decent offer.
GrammarNazi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2013, 01:33   #6100
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
If it is a Sept 2011 car, the 2 year service which is a major one should have been done by now. Going by your post I guess it is not done? It is a lapse then. It includes change of all fluids.

Check the service records of the car.

There are no specific issues with that batch of 2011 cars. Check for AC effectiveness.
No the 45k service is due. Owner was kind enough to either get it done before sale or reduce cost from the car value. He says he has all records right from 5k service, will need to check it thoroughly. Relieved to know no known issues plague the 2011 Punto's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammarNazi View Post
@~20+10% depreciation, IMO ~5.6L would be a good price if its in excellent condition. Take it to the Service Center and ask them how much it'll cost to repair/service it to bring it to optimum performance. Whatever they quote, reduce that from the above price and maybe some more if the interior needs detailing.

AFAIK, the major service is at 60K kms, not 45K kms. Still, you must negotiate keeping in mind that 15,000 kms isn't far away, coz within 6 - 9 months you may have to spend ~25k INR for that service.

I feel you're/carwale is right with the 5 to 5.15L quote actually.
Will the 60k service cost 25k ?

I just checked CD's thread here and he's paid 7k or so for the 45k service, will anyway give them the VIN no and get a quote if possible to reduce that from my quote.

Also, the car has dents at 3 different places which will need repainting since its gone down to the body. How much should I reduce for this ?

EDIT: Looks like its 2 years or 60k ? Someone correct me if wrong. So i'll have to spend a considerable amount on the service

Last edited by shashank.nk : 23rd November 2013 at 02:01.
Old 23rd November 2013, 07:49   #6101
Senior - BHPian

Yes, it is for a fact two years or 60k whichever is earlier and that is why I had mentioned the same.

In case you are evaluating the car, get the timing chain checked. Signs of a dying timing chain is mettalic noises immediately after cold start. And do remember the 90HP s atleast require a timing chain change as per periodic maintenance at 60k kms.

If the owner has failed to do the 2 year service yet, wonder how the car was maintained? Logically 4 services should be done by now.
DRIV3R is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2013, 09:50   #6102
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
Yes, it is for a fact two years or 60k whichever is earlier and that is why I had mentioned the same.

In case you are evaluating the car, get the timing chain checked. Signs of a dying timing chain is mettalic noises immediately after cold start. And do remember the 90HP s atleast require a timing chain change as per periodic maintenance at 60k kms.

If the owner has failed to do the 2 year service yet, wonder how the car was maintained? Logically 4 services should be done by now.
I think you are getting a bit confused here. The services are due at every 15000kms or every year not and every year.

Thus this car should have had schedules service a 5000, 15000 and 30000kms with the 45000km service due in another 1500kms of running. The number of years does not matter since the car is hitting the max mileage between services.

On the other hand, my car has run only 38000km, but has already had 4 schedules services at 3months, 1yr, 2yr and 3yrs with the 4yr service due in December. My car is not hitting the maximum mileage between services, and thus gets serviced once a year.

Quote:
  • 45k service due
  • New tyres(apollo make)

Before buying the car, check the service history of the car and make sure all necessary operations have been carried out.

Also, the cars next service is a slightly costly one, but nothing like 25k. At best it will run you 10k. This is because FIAT recommend coolant,brake/clutch fluid, power steetiring oil and transmission oil to be replaced every 60k or 2years. As the car has just completed 2 years, these will need to be done unless they have already been completed, prior to the 45k service.

Also, check whether the front brake pads have been replaced. One would hope that has happened at least once. If not, that too will have to be added to the list of things to be done.

Also, in another 15k time at the 60k kms mark, you are likely to need a replacement of timing chain and a couple of other belts on the engine.

As the car looks like it is being sold just before the major scheduled maintenance work, you may want to negotiate the price down quite a bit.
julupani is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2013, 10:38   #6103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by julupani View Post
Also, in another 15k time at the 60k kms mark, you are likely to need a replacement of timing chain and a couple of other belts on the engine.
Why is a timing chain needing replacement at 60k. Even belts last 1 lakh km these days.

This negates the 'low maintenance' attribute of timing chains.
Old 23rd November 2013, 10:49   #6104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzsys View Post
Why is a timing chain needing replacement at 60k. Even belts last 1 lakh km these days.

This negates the 'low maintenance' attribute of timing chains.
Actually I am not sure what at how many kms the timing chain is to be changed. The pdf manual I checked doesnt mention anything except that timing chain needs to be changed every 4yrs for heavy usage regardless of distance run.

But in case of the petrol engine models, the manual mentions a 60k/4yr change of the timing belt. Thus I extrapolated from there.

But yes, you are right chains should not need change at such short intervals. I mentioned the 60k interval to be on the safe side.

Even if the timing chain need not be replaced, the accessory drive belts and auxiliary drive belts definitely need replacement at the 60k mark.

Last edited by julupani : 23rd November 2013 at 10:52.
Old 23rd November 2013, 10:59   #6105
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammarNazi View Post
...AFAIK, the major service is at 60K kms, not 45K kms. Still, you must negotiate keeping in mind that 15,000 kms isn't far away, coz within 6 - 9 months you may have to spend ~25k INR for that service...

Are you kidding me? 25K for the 60,000 kms service? For a Punto?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks