Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th March 2012, 16:13   #4591
BHPian

Re: Fiat Grande Punto : Test Drive & Review

Hissing sound from rear of car while in idle and very audible motor hum when switched On the Ignition .

I am facing this right from the day of delivery of the car. I can hear a rather hissing sound from the rear side near to the fuel tank of the car as if air is escaping through a nozzle.

1. When inquired, we were told by the sales guys that it is the pump that is making the hissing sound and not any leak in the silencer pipe. Has any one come across this problem.?

2. When i turn the ignition Key to On position the sound made by some component maybe a sesnsor is rather loud than normal. Kindly confirm if this an unusual beahvior..

The car has run 975km and shows the average fuel consumption as 8/100
Old 20th March 2012, 17:03   #4592
Senior - BHPian

Krrrrrrr Grrrrrrrr

This is how my Punto sounds if the brakes are depressed (or handbrake is engaged) & someone sits in the car (or gets out of the car).

This has been like this for quite some time... Again normal in Punto guys?
Old 20th March 2012, 17:54   #4593
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriramr9
Hissing sound from rear of car while in idle and very audible motor hum when switched On the Ignition .

1. When inquired, we were told by the sales guys that it is the pump that is making the hissing sound and not any leak in the silencer pipe. Has any one come across this problem.?
Fuel feed pump - normal

Quote:
I am just surprised/rather shocked how come a bumper scrap cause a spot weld to come off, as a result the door quivers without support when shut and causes a painful clank. the door looks stable from outside but actually i feel it's not as good as the Linea's or the Palio's.
Use a good quality double side adhesive tape.

Not comparable to weld strangth, but will eliminate tinny sound for now.

Last edited by autocrat : 20th March 2012 at 18:02.
Old 20th March 2012, 18:22   #4594
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autocrat View Post
Fuel feed pump - normal

Use a good quality double side adhesive tape.

Not comparable to weld strangth, but will eliminate tinny sound for now.
Ha ha ,,, brother i will send a pic to make the problem better understandable.

2. Could you please confirm on the humming sound emitted when the ignition key is turned ON which was rather loud compared to other punto's :(. Need inputs on that if you have any
Old 20th March 2012, 19:28   #4595
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
Krrrrrrr Grrrrrrrr

This is how my Punto sounds if the brakes are depressed (or handbrake is engaged) & someone sits in the car (or gets out of the car).

most probably it is from the rear suspension , if you get out of the car and shake it a bit , you might be able to locate the source.its a common problem.you can also check by sitting and getting up with door open

you might also hear this sound when jacking the car up.

Last edited by ms001 : 20th March 2012 at 19:34.
Old 20th March 2012, 19:31   #4596
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004
Krrrrrrr Grrrrrrrr

Is your car parked on an inclined plane?
Even I can here such sound however only when the car is parked on a slope and handbraked. I think its just when handbrake is under stress.
Old 20th March 2012, 19:37   #4597
BHPian

@ raj 5004: In my car this happens if I am in gear, but both brakes and clutch are depressed, and maybe there is a very slight slip of foot / release of clutch.

However what I have noticed after my 1.2 dynamic has crossed 710 kms is:

1) The brake despite applied very smoothly, will halt the car with a small but noticeable jerk. It was absolutely jerk free earlier.

2) Also, when at rest, engine ON, on turning the steering to the extreme right or left a grrr grrr sound starts, which vanishes on say, a 1 degree/minor counter turn.

Is this normal?
Old 20th March 2012, 19:53   #4598
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Krrrrrrr Grrrrrrrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms001 View Post
most probably it is from the rear suspension , if you get out of the car and shake it a bit , you might be able to locate the source.its a common problem.you can also check by sitting and getting up with door open

you might also hear this sound when jacking the car up.
Its not the suspension its the brakes.
I get this sound not only when the vehicle is on handbrakes but also when I'm using the normal brakes.
Next time when this sound comes up, just release the brakes by a small amount just enough to stop the sound but not too much so that the car moves.
Whenever some new person gets down from my car I make sure that this sound doesn't come so that they don't get wrong impressions
As scofield pointed out, its more when the car is parked in an incline.

raj_5004, I see you are worried about many small things in your car.
Is this too much of love and care towards your car or fear and scare about the A.S.S/fiat?
Old 20th March 2012, 22:07   #4599
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriramr9 View Post
Ha ha ,,, brother i will send a pic to make the problem better understandable.

2. Could you please confirm on the humming sound emitted when the ignition key is turned ON which was rather loud compared to other punto's :(. Need inputs on that if you have any
Assuming you have an Emotion Pack variant, do you play CDs on your CD player, if yes that could be the culprit. If there is a CD in the drive, the player starts to read it as soon as you turn the key.

Last edited by nkg77 : 20th March 2012 at 22:08.
Old 20th March 2012, 22:23   #4600
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by parimal_g View Post
Punto returned mileage of 24.5 Km/lit.
Attached are the Snaps.
Wow! I'd be dancing if I get the same figure from my 1.3 90HP. That too, from a 1.4 petrol is just awesome. I get only around 18 kmpl as of now, as indicated by the average fuel meter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky View Post
A friend of mine had the same experience with his 90HP Punto on the very day he took delivery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sridharj View Post
Just got my Punto checked by VST and it's a loose link rod
Again - too many occurrences. Someone at FIAT should have taken remedial action by now! Anyways - good to know dealers are solving the issues in 15 - 20 mins, instead of making customers run after them.
Quote:
Krrrrrrr Grrrrrrrr

Yes. And its IRRITATING.

I wanted to post this today, but you have already posted the same. Imagine this situation - three ladies are waiting for me to get out of the car and greet them. I put the car on handbrake (was on a steep incline), open the car and -

Put one leg outside - krrrrrrr...

Lifts the weight off my bottom - krrrrr...

Stands up properly... krrrrr...

I wanted to shout - Its the bloody car!

Better to just shutdown the engine and put the car in gear.
Old 20th March 2012, 22:43   #4601
BHPian

Are people, I would say don't pull the hand brake when parked on an inclined plane, just slot it in first and and come out of the car . No noise would come. However, when you put the handbrake and try to come out , there is a little push on the handbrake and it screams at max tolerance.
I used to it the wrong way but now I park the way I said above.

Last edited by scofield : 20th March 2012 at 22:44.
Old 20th March 2012, 22:48   #4602
BHPian

Quote:
Could you please confirm on the humming sound emitted when the ignition key is turned ON which was rather loud compared to other punto's :(. Need inputs on that if you have any
I travel regularly in my friends Punto to office (car pool).

In a silent environment (like a basement parking), the hum is audible when the key is turned on, and more audible when the windows are down, but its not noticeable at all when car is moving.
Old 20th March 2012, 22:58   #4603
BHPian

Please find my comments in-line in bold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Wow! I'd be dancing if I get the same figure from my 1.3 90HP. That too, from a 1.4 petrol is just awesome. I get only around 18 kmpl as of now, as indicated by the average fuel meter.

Getting 24 km/l on a 90HP is not that difficult, wait till you cross 10k kms, then you should consistently get 20+ kmpl for long distance with AC on full time.

Again - too many occurrences. Someone at FIAT should have taken remedial action by now! Anyways - good to know dealers are solving the issues in 15 - 20 mins, instead of making customers run after them.

Yea even I faced the link rod issue when the car has run only 6k kms, I just don't understand why Fiat is not correcting this at the plant itself.

Yes. And its IRRITATING.

I wanted to post this today, but you have already posted the same. Imagine this situation - three ladies are waiting for me to get out of the car and greet them. I put the car on handbrake (was on a steep incline), open the car and -

Put one leg outside - krrrrrrr...

Lifts the weight off my bottom - krrrrr...

Stands up properly... krrrrr...

I wanted to shout - Its the bloody car!

Better to just shutdown the engine and put the car in gear.

Fiat has one of the best braking system in the below 10 lakhs category, I can walk out of the car confidently once the hand brake is engaged. Just make sure that you engage the hand brake to max when on incline so that the sound produced is less.

Last edited by nkg77 : 20th March 2012 at 22:59.
Old 20th March 2012, 23:12   #4604
Senior - BHPian

With regards to the humming sound just when u turn on to ignition, chillax guys, it's just the priming of fuel pump/injector. Even fuel injected bikes do this. I have experienced it in many cars plus brand new Puntos too.

But the same should not happen while the engine is up and running, that is, the hissing sound from the rear. The former happens under the hood.
Old 21st March 2012, 01:12   #4605
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiren.mistry View Post
The car does exactly 2500 RPM at 100KMPH, I feel this is too high a RPM for a diesel engine. But I guess this is due to the extra short gearing. I wonder how the Swift fares at 100 kmph.
Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
i have noticed this too Punto does 100 at 2.5K RPM. The Linea does it at a shade under 2.5K that is 2.4K. Not sure of about swift.
Swift D does 2200 rpm @ 100 kmph on 5th gear! 2500 rpm @ 100 seems to be on a bigger side than a relaxed gearing. Should be another reason why FE is NOT good as the Swift [of-course with weight being another reason].

Quote:
I am facing this right from the day of delivery of the car. I can hear a rather hissing sound from the rear side near to the fuel tank of the car as if air is escaping through a nozzle.
This happens ONLY when the key is in "ignition" position? Does this sound go off in around 5 seconds after you turn into "ignition" position even if you don't start your car? If so, it should be the fuel pump! Swift makes a similar sound, but from the front; stays for 5 seconds and then no sound.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 21st March 2012 at 01:17.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks