Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th October 2011, 20:03   #3841
BHPian

Got delivery of our 90HP a couple of days back, which my dad will be using. Though I liked it, doesn't compare with SX4 of course. Have myself driven only a few kms still. First think I noticed was that the clutch is ahead of other pedals and quite long too. Is this the case with all puntos or something to do with 90HP or should not be the case?
External finish is good but the front wheel rims (don't know exact part name) are rusted. Have complained to dealer.
Internal finish could have been better.
Front seats seemed comfortable. Not much adjustment on steering.
Have driven too little actually. Hope to post more detailed review later.
Old 14th October 2011, 20:28   #3842
Senior - BHPian

Re: Fiat Grande Punto : Test Drive & Review

^^ first of all congrats on buying an amazing car,and ya clutch is placed the same way in all punto models

rust on brake disc is common and a non issue

Last edited by ms001 : 14th October 2011 at 20:31.
Old 14th October 2011, 20:30   #3843
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesrani View Post
Got delivery of our 90HP a couple of days back, which my dad will be using. Though I liked it, doesn't compare with SX4 of course. Have myself driven only a few kms still. First think I noticed was that the clutch is ahead of other pedals and quite long too. Is this the case with all puntos or something to do with 90HP or should not be the case?
External finish is good but the front wheel rims (don't know exact part name) are rusted. Have complained to dealer.
IMO the Punto feels better than the Sx4 on many counts.

The Punto comes with unusually long travel for the clutch which is normal and is housed in a cramped footwell. Can you post pics of the rust on the rims you mention. 90 Bhp Punto comes in emotion pack trim only and comes with alloy wheels only and it is strange that you are mentioning a rust in that part. The steering can be adjusted for reach only but your height adjustable seat should allow you to find a good driving position.
Old 14th October 2011, 20:58   #3844
BHPian

Quote:
Think you are referring to rust in the disc which is natural as its made of cast iron. Dont worry
Old 14th October 2011, 21:07   #3845
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerfan
Think you are referring to rust in the disc which is natural as its made of cast iron. Dont worry
I think you are right, it is on the brake. Will try to post pics.
The rust can be seen behind the alloys on the front side. The rear side is okay. Should I complain?
The clutch travel was bit annoying and had to bend leg quite a bit, I am 6ft 2in. Maybe will get used to it in a while.
Old 14th October 2011, 22:23   #3846
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax
I have a steering wobbling issue in my Punto, even at very low speeds - very apparent even when the car is slowly rolling. As I turn the steering, I can experience a cyclic heaviness and lightness in it. The steering feels alright at speeds above say 50 kmph.

Since it is evident at very low speeds, I don't think it is a balancing issue. A wheel balancing and alignment didn't solve that either. It could be a bad wheel, or something wrong in the steering box itself?

Anyone over here experiencing this issue? Appreciate any inputs.

Punto MJD, 23000 Kms
I have 2 GP EP @ 14000 kms and 34000 kms..have not experienced what you describe..

Get your front suspension checked by TASS..a bent wheel will not allow speeds over 80 odd kmph.
Old 14th October 2011, 22:26   #3847
BHPian

Quote:
I think you are right, it is on the brake. Will try to post pics.
The rust can be seen behind the alloys on the front side. The rear side is okay. Should I complain?
The clutch travel was bit annoying and had to bend leg quite a bit, I am 6ft 2in. Maybe will get used to it in a while.
Nothing to worry dear. Happens in all disc brake cars if its kept unused for a few days. Will go away once you use the car
Old 14th October 2011, 23:11   #3848
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkin evoisrevo View Post
Sure! Do you have one to share ?
Arkin, yup. I have the Got BHP and I DRIVE SAFE stickers which I have not put on anything yet. If you want I can give them to you. Which area do you stay and work. I can be reached in RRNagar or Embassy Golf links
Old 14th October 2011, 23:18   #3849
Senior - BHPian

Just saw the Ecodrive thread in the Technical Section. Has anyone been able to successfully install Ecodrive on the Punto? I have tried multiple times with no success.
Old 15th October 2011, 06:40   #3850
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopikb View Post
Arkin, yup. I have the Got BHP and I DRIVE SAFE stickers which I have not put on anything yet. If you want I can give them to you. Which area do you stay and work. I can be reached in RRNagar or Embassy Golf links
I'd love to have those!!! Live on OA road, 'work' opp. Concorde near Dairy Circle .
How about IRR then? Are you free on monday?

Quote:
Got delivery of our 90HP a couple of days back, which my dad will be using. Though I liked it, doesn't compare with SX4 of course. Have myself driven only a few kms still. First think I noticed was that the clutch is ahead of other pedals and quite long too........view later.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ms001 View Post
^^ first of all congrats on buying an amazing car,and ya clutch is placed the same way in all punto models

rust on brake disc is common and a non issue
+1!.
I too have that on my car. It is not an issue really. In case it bothers when you look at the aesthetics of the car, I guess only a minor job is required.

Yeah, even I think you can't compare it with the SX4. It is much ahead when it comes to build, highway dynamics & ride quality. My personal opinion. I too had considered and TDed the SX4 along with the Vento, ANHC, i20, Jazz, Manza, T-Jet etc.
Old 15th October 2011, 06:49   #3851
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkin evoisrevo

Yeah, even I think you can't compare it with the SX4. It is much ahead when it comes to build, highway dynamics & ride quality. My personal opinion. I too had considered and TDed the SX4 along with the Vento, ANHC, i20, Jazz, Manza, T-Jet etc.
So is the punto better than ^^?
Old 16th October 2011, 14:36   #3852
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopikb View Post
shashank.nk, I saw that you are now convinced about the city drivability of Punto. Let me tell you my experience. I migrated from Santro Xing to Punto two years ago. For purely City driving, the Santro was a hoot to drive. It was an excellent city car. Very easily chuckable into small spaces in bumper to bumper traffic and being a Petrol, the engine was very responsive to the press of pedal. I absolutely loved Santro for the way it drove inside city.

When I first took delivery of my 1.3 MJD Punto and rode to office, the main difference you will notice is that it gives a big car feel once you sit inside. Similarly you will have to treat it as a big car while driving. You can no longer chuck it into small spaces in heavy traffic. This is because you will end up stopping the car in a slanted position in traffic if you try to do so. You will get used to driving in a straight line and stop correctly.

As of now, city driving with the Punto is as enjoyable as Santro with minor changes to driving pattern and patience. The meaty steering feel is what I enjoy the most while driving both in city and in highways.

Rest your fears and go for the Punto. I am sure you will not regret it.
Thanks a lot gopi for sharing your experience! From the Santro to the Punto would have been a big jump and you'd have to make a few adjustments to your driving style, glad tha in less than 1 year you find the Punto as fun as the Santro in the city.

I will settle for the Punto 90HP BNW i guess. Will wait and see if there are any more offers from Fiat during diwali.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post
Regarding Punto Evo, mostly the changes will be cosmetic. The major point of concern about Punto Evo is an upgraded interiors.

About the exterior, it depends on what you like. If you like the lines of current Punto, go for it.

A refreshed interior may be worth the wait, but then again, we have no concrete info that the interiors will be refreshed. Either way, the current cockpit is not that a bad place to be in.

If you like the looks of current Punto, go ahead and get one now itself
As far as the exteriors go i love the current one, the evo is ok-ish. It would've been worth waiting if there was some concrete information regarding the launch and also the interiors, with no confirmation about either i don't feel its worth waiting.

True, the current Punto is pretty good save for the fit-and-finish in a few areas. Dad was very disappointed when we looked at a display car in Prerana motors at WOC, but at Prerana on Lalbagh road the display car had far better interiors.

Quote:
Thanks!
Taking the car on a long trip tomorrow; ownership review when I'm back
I'm sure it will!

Hey congrats on the car! Wish you many kms of safe drive in your car.
Old 16th October 2011, 17:23   #3853
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky View Post
Just saw the Ecodrive thread in the Technical Section. Has anyone been able to successfully install Ecodrive on the Punto? I have tried multiple times with no success.
Its a known fact, thought the reason is unknown
Old 16th October 2011, 23:32   #3854
BHPian

Quote:
I got mine yesterday, and I can say, we took the RIGHT decision by buying it over the ANHC (and i20 Crdi).
Congratulations on your correct decision.

This is one exceptionally engineered car. At 9000 kms my 90HP feels way smoother and rev happy than my previous Santro Xing - even I can't believe that I am comparing a diesel with a petrol. Rev it up and you find no difference. Actually the car is meant for 2000+ rev range. No trace of nervousness at 130+ and you can hear her Maserati like engine note at that speed. And high speed ride quality and stability is just amazing.

Just did a 200 km Bangalore - Chikballapur - Dobbaspet - Bangalore and I feel as if I have done 20 kms. Exceptional car - getting newer as it ages and I for one can feel it is worth more than what it retails for.
sourav21 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th October 2011, 12:56   #3855
BHPian

Folks, contemplating buying one these beauties for myself and soon to be wife. The car felt pretty good while doing the TD but coming from a OHC VTEC, you know how it is...

Have heard from a couple of well built friends that the car bottoms out and scrapes over speed breakers. I DID NOT notice it during the TD. All the lucky owners out there, do your Puntos bottom out on even small breakers?

Any and all help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

WL

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks