Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th March 2012, 13:55   #4471
Senior - BHPian

Re: Fiat Grande Punto : Test Drive & Review

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/buying...tml#post360350

this post has the link to download the checklist is PDF format

"Note from Mod : The Team-BHP PDI Checklist is now available as a PDF file which you can carry with you. You can download the PDF here: Team-BHP PDI Checklist.pdf"

i guess you missed it
Old 7th March 2012, 15:04   #4472
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Using our PDI checklist for the first time.

Whats in there regarding PDI at all? We are talking about the checklist PDF in this page - 1, right? ( http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/buying...heck-list.html )It only says to check the VIN before registration. Rest of it deals with delivery process!

I guess I'm definitely looking at the wrong page.
Hey buddy, if you need a more detailed one, go through this thread.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...-kulkarni.html

Check all fluid levels and electricals, body for any minute scratches, that should be good. Hope you have decoded the VIN to ensure it's a recently maufactured one.
Old 7th March 2012, 22:35   #4473
BHPian

Went to book a Punto, Ended up booking a Linea

I was at Concorde motors, Mysore road today, hoping to book a Punto Emotion MJD.

As we started going through the stock list, the Punto that I wanted to book today was booked by someone else last evening

There were 4 Puntos available and all were gone.

I called another dealer and the Oceanic Blue Punto they had yesterday was booked as well.

I was not sure if the vehicles in transit will reach in time to be registered before budget as the SE told me it can range from 4 to 10 days.

This put me in a quandary - do I take the risk, book a Punto and if it arrives late, shell out extra 40~80k? (I was also told Fiat is planning to hike the price by 15~20k - not sure though - might be to coax customers to buy this month)

I figured out if that was the case I rather look for a Linea in stock and book it today, and I did. The car I was told reached their yard a couple of days back. The VIN number says its February made car.

The added cost means that I might have to trade in my Indica Xeta (@ 1,10,000). I am not sure if selling the Xeta at that price is a good idea - I feel its worth more than the price.

Despite being a weekday, there was quite a lot of people coming in today to book cars and it freaked me out.

I cant wait to see the Sales Charts for the month of March - I am sure Fiat will have good numbers (BIG SMILE)
Old 7th March 2012, 22:49   #4474
Senior - BHPian

Re: Went to book a Punto, Ended up booking a Linea

Quote:
Originally Posted by autocrat View Post
I cant wait to see the Sales Charts for the month of March - I am sure Fiat will have good numbers (BIG SMILE)
Google the Fiat India in News and you will realise that all diesel cars are being grabbed by people before budget as there is some sure-shot News of 6% duty on Diesel cars. Fiat being one of the manufacturers with ready stock of Diesel cars, so their showrooms are frequented by buyers and cars selling very quickly. So this explains the euphoria.

http://business-standard.com/india/n...raffic/466892/

Last edited by carwatcher : 7th March 2012 at 23:02.
carwatcher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2012, 22:57   #4475
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carwatcher View Post
Fiat being one of the manufacturers with ready stock of Diesel cars, so their showrooms are frequented by buyers and cars selling very quickly. So this explains the euphoria.
I booked the Dynamic variant (Emotion was only available in white and I am not so brave to buy one) and I wanted to check the interiors. I was taken to the PDI area and there were quite a lot of Fiats getting ready for delivery.

I did not like the new interior colours - liked earlier Beige better, but its not a big worry for me - plan to get leather covers later
Old 8th March 2012, 04:23   #4476
BHPian

There is no option to book now and make the full payment as per current market price and freeze the prize hike?
I am getting my Swift within 2 weeks and i made full payment now.
Dealer had given me engine and chassis number and the prize hike will not affect me.
What i understood is once they get the car billed from manufacturer, they can complete the formalities for registration and tax payment using the engine and chassis numbers given.
I will get it confirmed today
Old 8th March 2012, 07:50   #4477
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devil_klm
There is no option to book now and make the full payment as per current market price and freeze the prize hike?
I am getting my Swift within 2 weeks and i made full payment now.
Dealer had given me engine and chassis number and the prize hike will not affect me.
What i understood is once they get the car billed from manufacturer, they can complete the formalities for registration and tax payment using the engine and chassis numbers given.
I will get it confirmed today
I think you are right. Excise duty is levied when the cars leave the plant. Hike will not impact cars that leave the plant before budget. Unless Maruti hikes prices, which is not in news. Fiat might, according to the dealers.
Old 8th March 2012, 09:25   #4478
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I was at Concorde motors, Mysore road today, hoping to book a Punto Emotion MJD.

+10.

I am seeing a sudden rise in the number of 2012 Puntos & Lineas on the road. Infact I have saw 3 Oceanic blue Puntos & Lineas in one day. Now thats surprising for a FIAT.

Quote:
I booked the Dynamic variant (Emotion was only available in white and I am not so brave to buy one) and I wanted to check the interiors. I was taken to the PDI area and there were quite a lot of Fiats getting ready for delivery.

I did not like the new interior colours - liked earlier Beige better, but its not a big worry for me - plan to get leather covers later
Congrats buddy. Pre-2012 Puntos come with black & grey interiors, not beige.

Will you not miss the Blue&Me, ACC, steering mounted controls & Airbags? So why not buy a white Emotion?

Last edited by raj_5004 : 8th March 2012 at 09:30.
Old 8th March 2012, 09:30   #4479
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I figured out if that was the case I rather look for a Linea in stock and book it today, and I did.
Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
Pre-2012 Puntos come with black & grey interiors, not beige.
Raj, he has booked a Linea, and not the Punto.
DRIV3R is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th March 2012, 11:31   #4480
BHPian

A very happy Holi to all. Will try to keep thing really short: due to lack of time I was unable to post this earlier, but I took delivery of my Oceanic Blue Punto 1.2 Dynamic on the 29th of Feb. Yes an unique date indeed. I booked the car sometime in the middle of January from Fiat Caffe Janpath. I was initially informed of a 2 week waiting, but unfortunately it got delayed several times, but I was really in no hurry. My Sales Advisor was Clinton Myers, a very supportive and reasonably informed person. He patiently demoed the Punto and the Linea in the FiatCaffe, offered me and my family really good coffee, I sealed the deal and walked out a happy man. The choice of Fiat was natural: (I had grown up on Fiats that my dad owned) and ALL my family members wanted the Punto, a rather unique case of unanimity these days.

For the price part: Not much discounts then, I had initially opted for self arranged finance and insurance.

A few days later, Clinton called me up and offered a bundled Insurance and warranty package for an attractive sum, and at that point of time, my OTR came to just above 5.5L Ghaziabad registration. And I asked them to go ahead. Nothing much included: floor mats, mud flaps, a temple, tissues and perfume. (I later realised, I forgot to collect the temple, the tissues and perfume! Need to take it when I visit Noida)

I was also informed of 10 more days delay, on the same day! Smooth move by Oberoi Cars/Fiat caffe.I was still in no hurry.

My loan was approved and in place, ready to be disbursed, on 21st Jan...and I was cautioned by the agent that the sanction validity was 30 days. I did not pay heed.

On the first week of Feb, I am again called up by Clinton, who gives me my VIN: It ends with ALZ, so there is no doubt at all that it is a Jan model. And he lets me know that due to some paint shop line problem, there would be another few days delay.

Finally on 17th, Clinton gives me a tracking number and a website, for me to track the vehicle, which shows that the vehicle has finally left the plant, for Delhi. I was overjoyed : the vehicle reached on 23rd, and once again, Clinton gives me a call asking me to do a PRI: this was really good. He was with me during the inspection. I had gone with the checklist, and a friend with very sharp eyes. We could not spot a single problem anywhere. He had made it a point to get the car delivered at the Noida showroom, and the ODO read H13. He once again demoed the new car to our satisfaction.

Now the problem begins: My approved and sanctioned loan has expired. I call up the agent again, and it seems I need to resubmit a few documents for re-approval. So it is all done and the wait begins. In the meanwhile, I have paid the rest of my margin money. Finally, (there was a weekend in between) I receive a sms confirming disbursal. But even after 3 hours, Clinton says they have not received the money! After a lot many phone calls and record checks, we found out that the money got transferred to some other account of Oberoi Cars, normally for TATA deals. The bank had that a/c number as default in their system and executed the RTGS. So on 29th morning, I signed on the Form 20 with the pencil print of the chassis number on it and Clinton promised delivery at 6PM. (I know, it is evening, but the car had not moved and I checked again)

I reached at 6 with 2 of my friends, the car was there, with the ribbons and Flowers and all. Clinton arrived a few minutes later: he had to drive all the way from Fiat Caffe. He again did a final PDI in front of us. The Oberoi officials took a photograph, handed me a box of chocolates, and I signed the gatepass and drove off.

Overall, excepting the delays, I had a satisfactory experience with Fiat/Oberoi. My contact there, Mr.Clinton Myers, had been very supportive and proactive. I only hope this continues as the ownership matures and I need service. Before leaving, the CRO of Oberoi motors, handed me a letter of thanks from Oberoi, on having chosen them and detailing service, support and relationship issues. The CRO lady herself was present during the delivery and she gave her visiting card as well.

(This is not an endorsement: I work for an MNC designing silicon chips LOL)

I have already run 260 kms on the car: mixed expressway and Noida/Ghaziabad roads: Last FE recorded yesterday over a 55km trip: 16.7kmpl no AC. Roads were somewhat empty yesterday. The day before, was 13.7kmpl with heavy traffic, no ac, 4 people in the car. I will post photos and initial ownership reviews later on. There are niggles.

Before I say good bye, a few questions : as on date I have only retail invoice, a debit note, an insurance bill sort of as the documents. Should I be receiving anything else? I was told the Sales certificate and RC will arrive few days later.
lapis_lazuli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2012, 15:00   #4481
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapis_lazuli View Post
I have already run 260 kms on the car: mixed expressway and Noida/Ghaziabad roads: Last FE recorded yesterday over a 55km trip: 16.7kmpl no AC. Roads were somewhat empty yesterday. The day before, was 13.7kmpl with heavy traffic, no ac, 4 people in the car. I will post photos and initial ownership reviews later on. There are niggles.

Before I say good bye, a few questions : as on date I have only retail invoice, a debit note, an insurance bill sort of as the documents. Should I be receiving anything else? I was told the Sales certificate and RC will arrive few days later.
Welcome to the Punto club and a rather exclusive Punto 1.2 club.
A very unique date indeed. My car is 17months elder to yours.

13kmpl in city and 15kmpl on highways with 1km less with AC is about the average FE I would say.
So the mileage you've got is good.

As far as the documents go, you should get the RC and original Insurance which should not take more than a month.

Will be keenly following your posts...Most importantly for photos and also niggles (for many this is more important than the photos I guess).

Wish you happy miles with your new car
hemanth.anand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2012, 15:40   #4482
BHPian

Quote:
I think you are right. Excise duty is levied when the cars leave the plant. Hike will not impact cars that leave the plant before budget. Unless Maruti hikes prices, which is not in news. Fiat might, according to the dealers.
Yes. Price hike will not affect us because the car is allocated to my booking. Its already billed to maruti. And about registration and state level tax, it will be paid once the car reaches the dealer and the SA confirmed the hike or new tax will not affect me.
Old 8th March 2012, 16:47   #4483
BHPian

Thanks Hemanth. I had been following yours and other 1.2 threads religiously for several months before I took the decision. BTW your "Abarth" looks awesome: those logos especially!

Coming to the niggles part:

1) Starting the day I took delivery, there has been intermittent warning flash indicating that the number plate light is defective. It used to appear and disappear randomly. Yesterday morning, while crossing a pothole the car bumped a little more than usual, because I did not lower the speed as much. That sharp jerk, seems to have corrected the situation. The warning did not come up again. Maybe there was a loose fit. But too early to say.

2) The stepnee lock nut : It is very tightly locked in place. At first I thought may be a separate spanner has been provided. But finally after a lot of pressure with ARMSTRONG spanner (LOL) I could unscrew it. Maybe it is supposed to be this way. I don't know.

Very little things really. Apart from these, everything else seems to be OK. The stock audio system is, well, just about suits my genre at lower volumes. I flattened the bass to +2. LOUDNESS ON, and it sounds OK for me. Nothing too great, nor was it on my wish list.

I am still exploring the car. Still having problems with the direction control on the left hand stalk: time and again I engage the wipers instead!!

sidindicas punto 2012 thread : Amusingly enough, his car number is xx 0957 and mine is xx 0956..!
Old 8th March 2012, 19:07   #4484
Senior - BHPian

@lapis_lazuli : Can we have more details on the tracking website? Thanks.
Old 8th March 2012, 19:16   #4485
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapis_lazuli View Post
sidindicas punto 2012 thread : Amusingly enough, his car number is xx 0957 and mine is xx 0956..!
That is the test drive car of the caffe. The FTA 1.3D emotion.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks