Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th December 2010, 08:57   #2971
BHPian

Re: Fiat Grande Punto : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerHead View Post
I have a question regarding servicing. I hope to I'm not posting it in wrong thread!!

I own a Punto 1.4 E-Pk and its nearing its 2nd free service which is suppose to be done either at 15K kms on odo or completion of 1 year which ever is first.

Since I wont be completing 15K, hardly it will be 4K, do I have to still change oil and filters which are suppose to be changed after 15K kms?

I know many owners voluntarily opt for oil change during 1st service itself. But technically is there any need when you have done under 20% of running which qualifies for changing stuff?

Thanks in advance.
Even though you have driven less than 4K, but since the oil is about a year old I think its a better idea to get it changed. When I was in US my SA always used to ask me to change the oil irrespective of the distance driven in every 1 year (I was using synthetic Oil). His idea was that over time the Oil viscosity changes and its advisable to get it changed.

I think other member here may be in a much better position to post a more technical reply if its advisable or not.
Old 10th December 2010, 09:15   #2972
BHPian

Is it possible to turn on only the front fog lamps of a Punto while driving . if yes how
Old 10th December 2010, 10:08   #2973
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motor spirit View Post
Is it possible to turn on only the front fog lamps of a Punto while driving . if yes how
You can do that, but you parking lights have to be on. You cannot turn on the fogs without turning on the parking lights.
Old 10th December 2010, 12:17   #2974
BHPian

Quote:
I have a question regarding servicing. I hope to I'm not posting it in wrong thread!!

I own a Punto 1.4 E-Pk and its nearing its 2nd free service which is suppose to be done either at 15K kms on odo or completion of 1 year which ever is first.

Since I wont be completing 15K, hardly it will be 4K, do I have to still change oil and filters which are suppose to be changed after 15K kms?

I know many owners voluntarily opt for oil change during 1st service itself. But technically is there any need when you have done under 20% of running which qualifies for changing stuff?

Thanks in advance.
Yes you have to do it. Even though you clocked only 4k, to keep your warranty intact, you have to service at the specified intervals. And for the 2nd service, they will change the oil.
Old 10th December 2010, 13:58   #2975
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arishi1 View Post
His idea was that over time the Oil viscosity changes and its advisable to get it changed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by arunkk View Post
Yes you have to do it. Even though you clocked only 4k, to keep your warranty intact, you have to service at the specified intervals. And for the 2nd service, they will change the oil.
So is it the oil's viscosity or warranty which prompts to change the oil? To me it looks like more of warranty thing, but then I may be wrong!!
Old 10th December 2010, 16:04   #2976
BHPian

Quote:
So is it the oil's viscosity or warranty which prompts to change the oil? To me it looks like more of warranty thing, but then I may be wrong!!
I got it changed at my 2nd free service at 4.3K on the ODO, thou warranty part may be correct to some extent, but imagine if you just stick to 15k km thing then what if it takes another 2/3 years to get to that 15k km. Would you take chances with your engine to depend on the 3 year old engine oil.

Yes! over a period engine oil viscosity reduces so its better to get it changed. Your 2nd service bill would come close to 3.5 k with engine oil and all filters replaced. Whether one drives that much or not but to keep a car in good running condition regular services are necessary.
Old 10th December 2010, 19:51   #2977
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post
What is the price difference between the diesel active and dynamic? And I've heard that Central locking cannot be fitted on the active. is it true? if it is, then the dynamic makes more sense.
I just came from the test drive of Punto Diesel today. Both Active and Dynamic share the same diesel 1.3 Engine and following are the differences
Chrome outline in the console
2 Tone Interiors (Active has single black color interiors only)
4 Power Windows (Active has only front two power windows)

The most important fact is the price difference, its whopping around 80k. So what is making more sense to me, is to buy Active instead of Dynamic.
Old 10th December 2010, 20:06   #2978
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous View Post
The most important fact is the price difference, its whopping around 80k. So what is making more sense to me, is to buy Active instead of Dynamic.
Dynamic variant is highly under-rated. Not saying dynamic is more VFM but it has the following additional features:

- Dynamic has all four power windows.
- Center console is silver in color.
- Instrument cluster has chrome rings and cosmetic enhancements.
- MID is that of Emotion variant type(bigger) and has more functions. e.g. dual trip meter, speed warning and more.
- Manual Central locking is present.
- It will show specific door open warning for all four doors.
- Auto door lock function is present(not sure).
- Theater dimming lights will work for all four doors.
- Instrument panel light regulation (not used really).
- Fabric insert on door panel.
- Keyless system for Dynamic costs 4k (for Active, it costs 10k). Savings of 6k.

Spend close to Rs1500 and you can get control switches of all four power windows on driver side panel as well.

EDIT: Is the price difference between Active and Dynamic 80k??? I think its around 40k. Please check again.

Last edited by COUNSEL : 10th December 2010 at 20:08.
Old 11th December 2010, 00:43   #2979
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUNSEL View Post
Dynamic variant is highly under-rated. Not saying dynamic is more VFM but it has the following additional features:

- Dynamic has all four power windows.Very rarely used as me and my wife will be the only passenger most of the time.
- Center console is silver in color. Does not matter
- Instrument cluster has chrome rings and cosmetic enhancements.Does not matter
- MID is that of Emotion variant type(bigger) and has more functions. e.g. dual trip meter, speed warning and more.Speed warning in present in Active as well. But yes more infor in MID would have been better.
- Manual Central locking is present.
- It will show specific door open warning for all four doors. if you install central locking then it can be enabled.
- Auto door lock function is present(not sure). is it the speed locking? have not seen it in Emotion!!!
- Theater dimming lights will work for all four doors. Can be enabled
- Instrument panel light regulation (not used really).Does not matter, no one will use it.
- Fabric insert on door panel.Does not matter
- Keyless system for Dynamic costs 4k (for Active, it costs 10k). Savings of 6k. Price has reduced to 8K for Active.

Spend close to Rs1500 and you can get control switches of all four power windows on driver side panel as well.Hardly used

EDIT: Is the price difference between Active and Dynamic 80k??? I think its around 40k. Please check again.The price difference is about 43K.
Well there are reasons to buy Active over Dynamic, and here were my reasons in Bold. I took active because I didn't need the cosmetic additions that Dynamic has.

Last edited by Amartya : 11th December 2010 at 08:51. Reason: Corrected the quoted post
Old 11th December 2010, 19:56   #2980
Senior - BHPian

Discovered a hidden feature!!

"The range of the remote for locking the car is more than unlocking the car. ie, you can lock the car from a distance, but for unlocking you have to be close."

I must say, this is really awesome!

PS: This hidden feature was discovered by my friend Dr.Yashik. I confirmed that the same feature in present in our Fiat GP too.
Old 13th December 2010, 10:59   #2981
BHPian

To all Punto owners, how do you find the ground clearance of the Punto? Lately, Ive been finding that the bottom of my Punto touches even on the smallest of bumps. I checked the underbody and the engine guard has a lot of scratches and it is starting to rust as a result. Is this normal or should i be worried?
Old 13th December 2010, 11:20   #2982
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newpunter View Post
To all Punto owners, how do you find the ground clearance of the Punto? Lately, Ive been finding that the bottom of my Punto touches even on the smallest of bumps. I checked the underbody and the engine guard has a lot of scratches and it is starting to rust as a result. Is this normal or should i be worried?
Punto GC is quite less i feel. Most of the times, it is the lengthier front projection after the front wheel that scrapes in many humps.
Old 13th December 2010, 11:26   #2983
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newpunter View Post
When on full load (4/5 persons) and in extremely bad areas I have faced this problem but even then when I slow it down to very low speeds I usually get past them without hitting. Personally I think it all comes down to the speed at which you hit the bumps.
Old 13th December 2010, 11:32   #2984
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbkumar View Post
When on full load (4/5 persons) and in extremely bad areas I have faced this problem but even then when I slow it down to very low speeds I usually get past them without hitting. Personally I think it all comes down to the speed at which you hit the bumps.
Yes, I agree it is the speed at which we hit the humps. Yesterday, we were visiting a place where there was a mud road and due to the rains, there were depressions on both sides ( where the tyres touch the road ) and a hump in the middle. Initially, i thought the hump in the middle was not too bad and drove at a speed of around 20-30 km/hr and there was a bang sound suddenly. I got scared and started driving reaally slowly after that. The bottom didn't touch after that , even on the way back.

By the way, is the engine guard rusting ( the rust is only near the scratches ) normal ?
Old 13th December 2010, 11:50   #2985
Senior - BHPian

@ All Punto owners!

I am planning on purchasing the Punto MJD Emotion. I had taken the test drive of the Punto for the 3rd time and also the 1st time that I was on the rear seat trying to sit with 3 of my friends. The shoulder room & legroom was average. I had to put my hand over my friends shoulder to sit comfortably and also my knees were constantly in touch with the back portion of the driver seat.

Is there anyway the rear seats could be moved backward, I feel that the seats were slightly in front compared to the international variants to make good boot space! I might be wrongly assuming though!

This car would be primarily used by my parents who would be taking the rear seats and the rear space has become the deal breaker for me now!

Is there any solution to this?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks