Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 20th March 2014, 18:05   #6241
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by h@r$h@l View Post
I will scan & upload the bill once i get it. Even i am a little confused on the quoted amount. Coming back to office i got thinking and figured out that all consumables changed at 5300 + 1000 for paid service is just not possible.
This is in line with what I'm charged for regular service; oil replacement and filters (oil, fuel, air, and a/c). If it includes the other fluids (steering, brakes, transmission etc.) as well, then you're really lucky :-)
Old 20th March 2014, 23:04   #6242
BHPian

Re: Fiat Grande Punto : Test Drive & Review

For my vehicle Diesel Punto, i got done my second year 30,000km service done recently. Post taking delivery, after a cold Start, the pattern in which the Radiator Water temp needle rises up to optimal operating temperature has changed.

1. I am realizing that, post delivery the radiator water temp needle is climbing to operating temp (Dot center) earlier than originally it used to rise. I gauged this with pre defined distance which i am aware after a cold start,

2. Unable to conclude, i checked for coolant leaks and visible spots in engine bay, All i could see was the coolant level during engine operation was at the low mark. After 30 mins of turning off the engine i opened the cap.

3. There was a release in pressure and some more coolant returned back to the reservoir there by increasing the coolant level now. Could this be vaccum or air lock as a result of which coolant was not flowing through the critical systems freely ? How much tight should i secure the cap ?

4.I was told in the affirmative by the service advisor that the coolant topped was a pre mix one and does not need any distilled water top ups. As a result of that pre mix top up the coolant is bright pink as against light pink earlier? Will pre mix coolant alone not harm the engine, acc to me some amount of distilled water top up is mandatory ? pl clarify.
Old 21st March 2014, 03:31   #6243
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriramr9 View Post
For my vehicle Diesel Punto, i got done my second year 30,000km service done recently. Post taking delivery, after a cold Start, the pattern in which the Radiator Water temp needle rises up to optimal operating temperature has changed.

1. I am realizing that, post delivery the radiator water temp needle is climbing to operating temp (Dot center) earlier than originally it used to rise. I gauged this with pre defined distance which i am aware after a cold start,

2. Unable to conclude, i checked for coolant leaks and visible spots in engine bay, All i could see was the coolant level during engine operation was at the low mark. After 30 mins of turning off the engine i opened the cap.

3. There was a release in pressure and some more coolant returned back to the reservoir there by increasing the coolant level now. Could this be vaccum or air lock as a result of which coolant was not flowing through the critical systems freely ? How much tight should i secure the cap ?

4.I was told in the affirmative by the service advisor that the coolant topped was a pre mix one and does not need any distilled water top ups. As a result of that pre mix top up the coolant is bright pink as against light pink earlier? Will pre mix coolant alone not harm the engine, acc to me some amount of distilled water top up is mandatory ? pl clarify.
When the engine is running the cooling system runs at a pressure as the fluid gets hot and expands. And that's why the coolant level drops by half an inch or so, as the whole system is now under pressure. When you open the cap, the pressure is released and the coolant comes back up.

For 2-3 days, monitor the coolant level when the engine is cold. If it's within limits, there's nothing to worry. If not, you may add distilled water. If you have to add frequently (weekly), then there might be a leakage.

A fresh mix of paraflu with water is bright pink in color. Over time, it will dull down to light pink or maybe even closer to orange.

Regarding the engine coming to optimum temperature earlier than it used to, I can only think of two reasons.

1. New coolant fluids
2. Rising ambient temperatures

Hope it's not anything else. Let us know what you find.

Last edited by carrerastrax : 21st March 2014 at 03:34.
carrerastrax is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st March 2014, 10:20   #6244
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If premix coolant has been added then there is no need to add distilled water. If a coolant concentrate is used then it has to be mixed with distilled water in a 1:3 ratio (i.e 1 litre of coolant concentrate has to be mixed with 3 litres of distilled water). I suggest you keep a 1 litre premixed coolant can with you. Observe the coolant level in the mornings, when the engine is cold. Top it up only if it is below the max level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrerastrax View Post
Regarding the engine coming to optimum temperature earlier than it used to, I can only think of two reasons.

1. New coolant fluids

I agree with carrerastrax here. Since it is the month of March & temperatures have started soaring, I observe exactly the same phenomenon. The temperature needle quickly rises to the half way mark compared to a month earlier. Ambient temperature has a role to play.
AutoIndian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2014, 11:02   #6245
BHPian

Quote:
(a). A fresh mix of paraflu with water is bright pink in color. Over time, it will dull down to light pink or maybe even closer to orange.

(b). Regarding the engine coming to optimum temperature earlier than it used to, I can only think of two reasons.

1. New coolant fluids

Sure will do, Carrerastarx. For Point (a). I am seeing there is not a tinge of distilled water in the reservoir it s deep pink. I am really worried as to what if they had missed out on the part of adding distilled water at all.

My invoice says Rs.1000 charged for 5 liters of pre mix paraflu. i will post the part number later today to cross check in 99rpm.com. Is the Thermostat's capacity just 5 liters or more, if more then there is a possibility of adding water to it.

For your point (b). I agree temperatures are rising in chennai every day, I will monitor the needle, coolant levels for few more days and will report back in case i see an abberation.

Does New coolant fluid have lesser heat absortion characteristics as you said, or is it the lack of water and just the pre mix causing this to happen ? Just thinking in all angles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
If premix coolant has been added then there is no need to add distilled water. If a coolant concentrate is used then it has to be mixed with distilled water in a 1:3 ratio (i.e 1 litre of coolant concentrate has to be mixed with 3 litres of distilled water). I suggest you keep a 1 litre premixed coolant can with you. Observe the coolant level in the mornings, when the engine is cold. Top it up only if it is below the max level.
I do have a paraflu coolant can (bought in 2012) for emergency purposes and it says to use by mixing in 1:3 ratio as your rightly mentioned. Does this mean current paraflu comes as pre mix and the ones sold 2 years were concentrated ?

Last edited by sriramr9 : 21st March 2014 at 11:08.
Old 21st March 2014, 11:11   #6246
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I do have a paraflu coolant can (bought in 2012) for emergency purposes and it says to use by mixing in 1:3 ratio as your rightly mentioned. Does this mean current paraflu comes as pre mix and the ones sold 2 years were concentrated ?
Not sure what is filled currently on your car. However if it is a premixed, ready to use coolant, it is always mentioned on the can. Same case is for the concentrate, there also it is mentioned, mix it with distilled water in the ratio 1:3 before use. You need to check with your service centre if they have put in premixed or concentrate. By just looking at the colour & viscosity, it is very difficult to judge if it is a premixed one or concentrate (though the conentrate is slightly thicker & darker)
AutoIndian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2014, 11:52   #6247
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have seen both the versions you are talking about, earlier during tata days, the concentrate was sold OTC and you could mix it at home. It was a way to truly experience Fiat ownership with DIY, the second bottle was free from Vecto motors while they were just setting up shop, that was premix which could be used without a measuring cup. My car was delivered with a coolant leak and it was never fixed by tata, if you see the levels drop over say 1000-2000 km of running, it means there is a leak, get it checked. After Vecto fixed that I never had an issue again. The needle climbs faster now as summer is around. No need to worry.
avira_tk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2014, 13:32   #6248
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avira_tk View Post
I have seen both the versions you are talking about, earlier during tata days, the concentrate was sold OTC and you could mix it at home. It was a way to truly experience Fiat ownership with DIY,

The needle climbs faster now as summer is around. No need to worry.
Both your answers were spot on to my questions and really an eye opener for all FIAT'ans. They should have mentioned somewhere that there is a change in the process being followed for the coolant refreshes. This is a miss from their SA end.
Old 21st March 2014, 19:29   #6249
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmplog View Post
This is fantastic. How did you achieve this? What was the distance? And average speeds?
I usually get 14 in the city and about 18-19 on the highways. It is a function of my driving style - always trying to red line. This time around, I had a pregnant woman on-board, so I drove in the 60-80 band all the way . The distance covered was around 400 km.

Last edited by Pedaltothefloor : 21st March 2014 at 19:30.
Old 21st March 2014, 19:39   #6250
BHPian

Quote:

Both your answers were spot on to my questions and really an eye opener for all FIAT'ans. They should have mentioned somewhere that there is a change in the process being followed for the coolant refreshes. This is a miss from their SA end.
Sorry, was busy and could read this only now. Yes, the coolant comes in bigger containers now and it is pre-mixed. They pump out 5 liters for each car. The one liter bottle of paraflu concentrate I have (for top ups) costed me 275 and it needs to be diluted in a ratio of 1:1. So the resulting price for 5 liters is 688 Rs. Plus distilled water costs 30 Rs. per liter. So the total cost is 763 Rs. The pre mix costs 174 per liter. So for 5 liters it's 870.

So in effect, the price has gone up by 107 Rs. - which is ok, according to me. The bottle I have was bought in 2012. I don't know what's the current price for a liter of concentrate. If it has increased, then the difference is even lesser.

The problem with the old system was returning the remaining 0.5 liters (three liters/bottles of concentrate is required) to every customer and that's a process headache. That's why the switch.

As long as the quality is maintained, I don't see the need for the alarm and I'd leave it to them how they handle their logistics. So I disagree that they need to inform the customer regarding these changes. But you can disagree. Cheers :-)

Fiat Grande Punto : Test Drive & Review-image162328492.jpg

Last edited by carrerastrax : 21st March 2014 at 19:41.
carrerastrax is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2014, 13:14   #6251
BHPian

Has anyone replaced the rear wiper motor in Punto and knows how to remove and fit the motor? My ASC is clueless about how to remove the same. It is fitted just below the rear windshield and fixed to the tailgate by 3 large rivets. The ASC did not know how to remove and wanted to cut it away by using chisel and hammer or a gas cutter. I did not let them do this, as I don't think Fiat has permanently affixed such a small thing as a wiper motor, which requires cutting. This will endanger the glass as well. As per the ASC, they have written to Fiat for guidance about the process of removal and fitting, but till now I have not received any solution. Can anyone point me to the right process or people? My car is still under warranty. I am really unhappy with the service provided by the new Fiat dealership and their casual behaviour. The vehicle is running with 3-4 unresolved problems needing warranty replacement for the last 4 months and their attitude does help the cause a single bit.

Last edited by wanderer4x4 : 24th March 2014 at 13:18.
Old 24th March 2014, 14:01   #6252
BHPian

Quote:
When the engine is running the cooling system runs at a pressure as the fluid gets hot and expands. And that's why the coolant level drops by half an inch or so, as the whole system is now under pressure.
AFAIK when engine is running the coolant level rises in the expansion tank, as the coolant expand under rising pressure and temperature.
Old 24th March 2014, 14:17   #6253
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topolino View Post
AFAIK when engine is running the coolant level rises in the expansion tank, as the coolant expand under rising pressure and temperature.
True. But there's air in the system, which also expands and has more pressure than liquids :-) Hence the dip.

After a drive, shut the engine off and release the coolant cap (slowly and please be careful), you will see a rise in the level.
Old 24th March 2014, 21:23   #6254
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer4x4 View Post
Has anyone replaced the rear wiper motor in Punto and knows how to remove and fit the motor? My ASC is clueless about how to remove the same. It is fitted just below the rear windshield and fixed to the tailgate by 3 large rivets. The ASC did not know how to remove and wanted to cut it away by using chisel and hammer or a gas cutter. I did not let them do this, as I don't think Fiat has permanently affixed such a small thing as a wiper motor, which requires cutting. This will endanger the glass as well. As per the ASC, they have written to Fiat for guidance about the process of removal and fitting, but till now I have not received any solution. Can anyone point me to the right process or people? My car is still under warranty. I am really unhappy with the service provided by the new Fiat dealership and their casual behaviour. The vehicle is running with 3-4 unresolved problems needing warranty replacement for the last 4 months and their attitude does help the cause a single bit.
hi. sounds like you need to contact fiat india, maybe even mangesh k. who is very responsive and effective. some of the new dealers especially in smaller markets need pressure from above as well as below to come upto speed. you will be doing the dealer himself a favour, not to mention future fiat buyers from jorhat, by putting mangesh on his case!
Old 24th March 2014, 21:45   #6255
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by desdemona View Post
hi. sounds like you need to contact fiat india, maybe even mangesh k. who is very responsive and effective. some of the new dealers especially in smaller markets need pressure from above as well as below to come upto speed. you will be doing the dealer himself a favour, not to mention future fiat buyers from jorhat, by putting mangesh on his case!
The issue is not with the knowledge of a small time new dealer, this dealer is one of the largest and oldest Tata dealer who has after the split opened the Fiat dealership as well. The issue rather is of intent and will to serve the customer. My issues are hanging since last November and they nonchalantly say that they don't know how to remove and refit the rear wiper motor.And do not even show any urgency in resolving the same. This type of attitude is not going get Fiat anywhere.

Most Viewed