Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st October 2009, 13:57   #121
BHPian

Wow! Good Review, we newbies have a lot to learn from this.
Finally India's own Company living up to expectations. Great going TATA.

Indica / Indigo whose gearshift felt akin to moving a stick through a cement mix!

This made me nice one GTO.
Old 31st October 2009, 14:37   #122
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shantyrocks View Post
What beats me is why the hell cant TATA/FIAT tune the turbo for a punchy drive.
That is what has sent the sales soaring for the swift and dzire.
Why cant they add a bit of fun & youth in the engine that they have developed..beats me
Come to think of it, the Swift / Dzire D are the only punchy cars running the Fiat 1.3. Not even the Ritz, nor the Vista, not the GP nor the Manza. I'd say it has to do with the shorter gearing of the Dzire (relative to the Manza), Dzires lighter weight and of course, the engine being retuned. I know the Ritz already meets next years emission norms, and the Swift / Dzire will run the Ritz tune from 2010.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer_rit View Post
though from the pictures it looks perfect. GTO also confirmed the same.
The seat back angle is sweet and one of the most endearing qualities of the Manza's rear bench.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushanthr77 View Post
I see a lot of similarities between Dzire buyers and Manza buyers. The waiting period for Dzire will also add to the cause. Car to car, the Manza has the Dzire covered on most aspects.
Sushant, excellent post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leonerd View Post
I am not sure if this is going to be a hit because, no matter what, Dezire is a Maruti. Of course people looking away from Dezire will definitely want to give a look at Manza but I doubt that a Maruti loyalist going for Dezire would switch to Manza.
Maruti's brand value is well earned & well deserved. True, loyalists of the brand will stay, umm, loyal

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumujumdar View Post
Now that's an awesome review! Very, very professional indeed! Thanks a ton, GTO.
Your starter phrase 'Extremely neutral family sedan' was a killer for me. That's *exactly* what I was looking for!
Maglev's summary is pretty much spot on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maglev View Post
VFM pricing, cheap spares, long warranty, spacious interior, luggage space, proven diesel engine, good A/C, features, ground clearance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amartya View Post
I loved Dippy's suggestion that the front seat for the left rear passenger could be used to stretch one's legs and have a Lazyboy for a rear seat. That is the kind of constructive feedback that tbhpians can pass on and who knows, we might just see such features in our cars.
Ah, the xylo type seating arrangement for a Manza would be a fitting USP! Worthy add-on to the top variant. Tata listening? Manza v2 perhaps?

Last edited by GTO : 31st October 2009 at 14:39.
Old 31st October 2009, 14:47   #123
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by typeOnegative View Post
1. The economy is picking back up.
Nice point. And a fitting time for new launches (Fortuner, Cruze, Manza etc.).

Quote:
It is interesting to note the way the Tata-Fiat combine is covering all bases - they are growing sub-segment by sub-segment. Slowly and steadily. Hope they iron out the niggling (and bigger than niggling) issues that plague their creations. And wish the competition steps up as well.
Very well put.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rove_drives View Post
A big question.
Diesel version - Manza is bigger and heavier than Dzire.
Manza is also delivering more power than Dzire.
The engine in both cars is same.
Then how come Manza ARAI claims a mileage of 21 kmpl and Dzire has less?
The Dzire will definitely be more FE in the city, thanks to its lighter weight and short gearing. ARAI figures, comparable as they are, lack relevance to the real world. Not only is the testing under "ideal road conditions", but also they offer a summary only (no split between city and highway). ARAI figures can be indicative of relative comparos (between two different cars), yet have their limitations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prashanthyr View Post
Seems at first glance Tata have managed to get it 90% right in V1.
We'll surely know when the ownership reports starting rolling in. Priority One : Minimise niggles. Equal standing on the to-do list : Improve after-sales.

Quote:
Question: Is a Tata Indigo Manza Marina Quadrajet 90 Aura+ (loooooong name for a car!) on the way? I am definitely interested in that one.
Can't rule it out, though I doubt it. Why would Tata develop an estate version when:

1. The Indigo Marina is a sales dud.
2. The Marina is still on sale for station wagon lovers.
Old 31st October 2009, 15:06   #124
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
You don't need to slip the clutch when driving normally. However, on steep inclines, you will have to. And yes, it will increase the wear & tear on your clutch.
Isn't shifting to lower gears would do the job? I do no think there is any need to ride on clutch on Steep Inclines.
Old 31st October 2009, 16:15   #125
Senior - BHPian

Awesome review Rush!! The rear of the Manza grows more on you than that of a Dzire IMO. It would be interesting to see if people place reliability and better A.S.S. ( read Dzire) over -more powerful , more spacious(great advantage in this segment) and better looking Manza. Kudos to Tata on a great product!!

I read somewhere in this thread that Vista isnt sold to taxi segment(?) , i hope the same stays with Manza, maybe they could just name it New Tata Indigo for taxi segment and remove the Indigo for aam junta like us.
Old 31st October 2009, 16:21   #126
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by anujmishra View Post
Isn't shifting to lower gears would do the job?
On a (very) steep Lonavla incline, we were slipping the clutch in 1st gear .

Quote:
Originally Posted by karanraheja View Post
The rear of the Manza grows more on you than that of a Dzire IMO. It would be interesting to see if people place reliability and better A.S.S. ( read Dzire) over -more powerful , more spacious(great advantage in this segment) and better looking Manza. Kudos to Tata on a great product!!
I can hardly wait to see how the sales pan out between the Dzire and the Manza. I don't think its going to displace the Dzire from top spot, but yet, it will dent the Dzire for sure.
Old 31st October 2009, 16:50   #127
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I don't think its going to displace the Dzire from top spot, but yet, it will dent the Dzire for sure.
Agreed but dont you think the Manza would make more dent on Dzire's sales than Vista did to the Swift?

Last edited by karanraheja : 31st October 2009 at 16:52.
Old 31st October 2009, 16:55   #128
BHPian

Thats GTO. That is a Great review covering almost all corners. I think I somehow got addicted to your reviews, from the day Manza was launched I was looking for you to come out with a review :-)
Old 31st October 2009, 18:37   #129
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This is different from variable cams (as in the Vtec)?
Yes, the working is different but it has the same broad agenda.

It takes a 4 valve engine and tries to make it behave like a 2 valve engine at low rpms. If you recall the 2-valve engines like Ikon and Logan 1.6s have excellent drivability but run out of breath at high rpms.

Honda had a system called VTEC-E that was able to do the same using the VTEC system but sadly it was never sold in India.
Old 31st October 2009, 19:58   #130
BHPian

Great going GTO. I think you are kinda used to it (praises). I booked my Manza at last. Waited for your review. Delivery in 2-3 weeks. Got 4k worth vouchers. Thanks a lot, again.
Old 1st November 2009, 01:43   #131
BHPian

@ GTO

Can an Automobile Manufacturer restrict the sale of its cars only for personal usage and not allow sale for commercial / taxi purpose's ??

and what about taxi's running illegally on private numbers ??
Old 1st November 2009, 01:54   #132
BHPian

Quote:
@ GTO

Can an Automobile Manufacturer restrict the sale of its cars only for personal usage and not allow sale for commercial / taxi purpose's ??

Not sure about this India as most manufactures want higher volume sales so as to recover their expenditure. But in Dubai, Honda does prevent the sale of its vehicles for taxi purposes but many companies like Toyota,Ford etc allow it.
Old 1st November 2009, 13:09   #133
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@ GTO

well dont know about restriction from a manufacturer regarding its commercial registeration but private running taxi's business can never be stopped out, still RTO's try to catch if any or let them pay them some pvt tax and go out as common practice.
Old 1st November 2009, 14:05   #134
BHPian

GTO, just a query. Is this the Satin gold color. I have booked it and no one knows what it looks like.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Indigo Manza : Test Drive & Review-satin-gold-3.jpg  

Old 1st November 2009, 14:55   #135
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by karanraheja View Post
Agreed but dont you think the Manza would make more dent on Dzire's sales than Vista did to the Swift?
Most definitely! The Manza is poised to have a stronger impact on the Dzire, than the Vista did to the Swift. The Vista / Swift are not entry-level hatches, but the Manza / Dzire are very much entry-level sedans. And the Manza meets the needs of this target segment just as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Yes, the working is different but it has the same broad agenda.
Thanks for the explanation. Much clearer now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rite2shree View Post
I booked my Manza at last. Waited for your review.
Congrats! I do hope you will share your ownership experience with us via a new thread.

Quote:
I'm sure there are ways . Imposing restrictions from the supply end (including the dealer) is probably the most popular route. Don't taxis require some kind of passing? Tata can just avoid that RTO formality for its Manza altogether.

Quote:
Nope, nothing the manufacturer can do here. In India, we can find a bypass to pretty much any restriction imposed on us!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks