Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th April 2012, 17:09   #2596
BHPian

Re: Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review

Just gave my car for 6 months/ 5000 kms 2nd service. The service was pretty bad at Kropex. They made me wait for 1 hour even though I had an appointment.

One thing: All the black portions on the car like door handles, default black spoiler are whitening up. My car is not parked in direct sunlight- what could be the reason?

The car is pulling slightly to the left; asked for wheel rotation. Also, the A/C is not cooling as it used to earlier.
Old 9th April 2012, 17:46   #2597
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adg_andy View Post
Just gave my car for 6 months/ 5000 kms 2nd service. The service was pretty bad at Kropex. They made me wait for 1 hour even though I had an appointment.

One thing: All the black portions on the car like door handles, default black spoiler are whitening up. My car is not parked in direct sunlight- what could be the reason?

The car is pulling slightly to the left; asked for wheel rotation. Also, the A/C is not cooling as it used to earlier.
1. Apply leather/vinyl polish on black plastic parts at a month's interval (something as cheap as a waxpol tube does the trick). Keeps the plastic parts shiny and black. This "whitening up" happens to every other car unless treated occasionally with polishes. Also, application or leftovers of car-wax/polishes intended for the metallic parts as well as remnants of soap/shampoo water do cause such whitening.

2. Car pulling slightly to the left : Coincidentally today morning itself my car too started pulling to the left out of the blue. However it took all of a 15 minute alignment/balancing job at roadside garage to get corrected. So hopefully yours has a simple cure too.

3. A.C. not cooling : 6 months is enough time for the Beat's cabin pollen filter to get clogged. Mine gets clogged every 15-20 days(maddening dusty city driving). Thankfully, I can go DIY on the fix. That said, i have voluntarily changed Pollen filters twice already(18 months 27k kms). They are cheap.

Last edited by mi2n : 9th April 2012 at 17:49.
mi2n is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2012, 17:51   #2598
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This is because you / wash person is using hard water to wash the car. Either use shampoo or some other way to 'soften' the water. More importantly, don't use the groundwell or boring water to wash the car. This is causing the whitening blacks.

The problem can be cured by applying Glycerine + water (10-20 ml of glycerine in a jug of water) on the black parts. They will regain their glory!
ani_meher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2012, 23:06   #2599
Senior - BHPian

Anyone noticed a substantial drop in FE with the AC on now that summer has started ? I have only dropped the temp slightly from 22 to 20 degrees, fan speed is still the same at 4.

Or do you guys think there is some other reason ? Im getting barely above 7 kmpl now !!
Old 10th April 2012, 07:59   #2600
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortis View Post
Anyone noticed a substantial drop in FE with the AC on now that summer has started ? I have only dropped the temp slightly from 22 to 20 degrees, fan speed is still the same at 4.

Or do you guys think there is some other reason ? Im getting barely above 7 kmpl now !!
7kmplX2

How is your driving style? and type of road conditions?
I dont use my A.C all the time but whenever I do its on the lowest temperature setting (Lo) and the blower varies between 2-5.

As far as I see it the strain on the engine is around (atleast feels the same) the same regardless of where the blower position is at, I have tried testing this theory (someone correct me If I am wrong).
Old 10th April 2012, 11:40   #2601
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortis View Post
Im getting barely above 7 kmpl now !!
7 kmpl, I am constantly getting 13.5 to 15 here in Delhi's scorching summer. (varying due to severe b2b to normal b2b)

I drive always at 24 degree and very rarely 22 for a quick cool (always in Auto AC mode). Never switch on AC from cold start. Will drive for at least 1 to 1.5 km in blower only mode (recirculation on/off as per requirement).

Try to keep the pollen filter clean as possible. DIY once bimonthly.

By the way which ECM/ECU Firmware version are you using?

Cheers!
Old 10th April 2012, 11:51   #2602
BHPian

Am facing a weird problem when the AC is on. Its an intermittent issue poping up only odd times hence forgets to point out to the SVC

When the speed increases more than 60Kph, there's a peculiar horrible flutter sound from some where, the cabin is filled with this in no time and we can't hear the real sound of anything even the cell phone ring tones as its get scrambled due to its distorting nature with a special frequency and all the occupants will hear as if they are in a bubble I guess this will cause headache with prolonged experience. I tried to open the re circulation flap, switched off the A/c, reduced the fan speed no luck. Had to roll down the windows or reduce the speed less than 50Kph it goes off. After some time, it goes off automatically I guess, some where the air is getting through the re circulation vent or so but can't figure out properly. I switched off the car and inspected the hood & boot but nothing found suspicious. This the 3rd time I get this but recent one was yesterday afternoon and the sun was with all his power so I tried to drive with the AC on for a few minutes but can't proceed much because of this.

Any leads?

Last edited by sajjt : 10th April 2012 at 12:08.
Old 10th April 2012, 12:14   #2603
Senior - BHPian

I read about this DIY cleaning pollen filter twice or even more times now. Is it simple to be attempted by newbie? Can someone share the steps?
Old 10th April 2012, 18:46   #2604
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajjt View Post
Am facing a weird problem when the AC is on. Its an intermittent issue poping up only odd times hence forgets to point out to the SVC

Any leads?
I had this for one whole day and the problem vanished thereafter. And the speed was 60 Btw, you can ask the service center to hammer the u shaped lock where the hatch lock goes in the boot. It helped in my case.

btw updates on 6 months/5000 kms 1st Service:

Wheel rotation done. Air filter cleaned. the jerking acceleration while a/c was on is gone. The problem of car pulling to left is minimized. Touchup done on the scratch on rear bumper and also the SA managed to find a ORVM cowl for my right ORVM, albeit a different colour( have to get it coloured form outside- its way cheaper) Aslo, car is much smoother now
Old 10th April 2012, 19:27   #2605
BHPian

Quote:
Btw, you can ask the service center to hammer the u shaped lock where the hatch lock goes in the boot. It helped in my case.
How will that help for the noise related to the A.C?
But, thanks for reminding me about getting my hatch lock knocked!

BTW folks, got my tyres upgraded to Yoko A-Drive 175/65-R14 today. If interested please read about it here

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2742069
superutp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2012, 21:33   #2606
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
I read about this DIY cleaning pollen filter twice or even more times now. Is it simple to be attempted by newbie? Can someone share the steps?
No issues for a newbie. Just do not apply extra force if it is not coming out; it can only be because you are pulling in a wrong direction.

Check the link and the link inside http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post2676772
thoma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2012, 23:06   #2607
Senior - BHPian

Hi,
Traffic conditions are mostly average with about 25% B2B. Driving style is pretty relaxed and ECU has the Y4 setting. Car not driven as often (but atleast every 2-3 days) over the past month in which I got these horrendous figures. Thsi tankful also seems to be going the same way. Dont know what it could be. I havent been getting the best FE figures from my Beat from the start and Im very frustrated.
Old 12th April 2012, 15:57   #2608
BHPian

Guys i'm looking forward to put an antenna at stock location of beat

Called up the showroom and they quoted rs.550 for OEM one and rs.100 for installation

Went to an accessories shop yesterday and they showed me an antenna similar to OEM one and price was rs.400

i have noticed wiring like swirls(are those really wirings) in OEM one while other is just a thin rod

Will there be any issues with non OEM antennas?
Old 12th April 2012, 16:13   #2609
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazybiker46 View Post
Guys i'm looking forward to put an antenna at stock location of beat
I removed the OEM antenna from my Beat's roof as i felt it to be an eyesore, yet my in-car FM radio is working as good as before..
Old 12th April 2012, 16:29   #2610
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daewood View Post
I removed the OEM antenna from my Beat's roof as i felt it to be an eyesore, yet my in-car FM radio is working as good as before..
While in my case its different , the signals are very weak .

Initially i was also against the idea putting roof antenna as it would be an eyesore , even considered putting a sharkfin type too

But below is the reason i decided to go ahead with antenna

I couldn't play my favorite tracks when i drive with my parents onboard obviously they don't hear hindi, tamil or english songs , my malayalam songs collection is limited to new ones which they don't like much and i always have to switch off the player to stop a fight

When you drive more than 100km in a stretch without music its very frustrating , thats why i decided to put an antenna

Last edited by crazybiker46 : 12th April 2012 at 16:35.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks