Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th May 2012, 15:24   #2701
BHPian

Re: Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkrmchauhan View Post
Hi

I gave my Beat LS petrol for 1st free service today. I bought the car in November 2011. After talking to the service consultant at Kalyan Nagar, Bangalore showroom I wanted you guys' opinion on the following

1. The service consultant advised to replace the AC filter (accessed via glove box) as it was full of dirt and was affecting air flow. Does this filter need frequent replacement? Won't regular cleaning be effective?
Regular cleaning of pollen filter is very much effective.You can use a blower or a vaccum cleaner for this.It doesnot need to replace frequently.I replace it twice,as I found rat urine and droppings on the filter.Else I clean it once in two weeks.Be careful not to break the lid,when you open it.

Fog lamps are going to be costly and dont worth it.I didnt find any noticable difference with stock lamp.IMHO,try after market ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by superutp View Post
Rather not try out the top speed of the Beat, 120 is where she cruises perfectly if the road allows it.
The road I tried was closed in night and I was the only one travelling.It was an highway and I drove around 2:30 am and I knew each and every corner of that road.I was alone in the car and the test lasted nearly 5 minutes,not more.Usually mine is a sedative driving style,due to the PB factor

Quote:
How are your tyres holding up? How many kms have you driven by now?
Stock tyres??Pathetic.Its around 18000 now,I Think it will go another 8000 more.Thats it.
_________

Quote:
A point of observation while driving in the rain. While both the front and rear defogger system worked fine, I noticed that the outside of the front windscreen (closer to the bonnet) started fogging up. Only if I switched on the wipers then the fog would be wiped off otherwise it would increase.

Is this normal?
This is right.I increase/decrease the temparature and can manage the fog buildup.
white-rabbit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2012, 17:10   #2702
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Probably need to figure it out based on trial and error.
Exactly. My worst case scenario with fog is, not when we ride with windows down and is forced to switch on the A/C upon raining, as closing the windows will fog the inside of the windshield, but when the rain subsides and if we open the window, the fog re-appears on the windshield. Due to this kind of fogging, I have been many times forced to continue using the A/C for a long time after the rains. I still could not find a suitable solution in this case. Perhaps A/C is the solution.

Quote:
BTW, I have always been using my AC at the 'Lo' setting as a result of which the load on the engine was considerable and switching off the AC resulted in an almost turbo like effect to the performance.
I have been long time using the A/C at 'Lo' and have noticed the similar thing. But then, later on when I realized this, turned the knob one slot up to 16 and have been using it just satisfactorily. Still, the 16 on the Beat is comparable to 22 on the Baleno! Even 25 is cool inside the Baleno. We cant compare apple to oranges, but my in-laws IRDE i10 is at par with or superior to the Baleno in terms of the chill.
thoma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2012, 17:23   #2703
BHPian

Guys,did the last date for sunfilim removal got extended by June 5 in bangalore?Any update on this?
Old 19th May 2012, 23:05   #2704
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by white-rabbit View Post
Guys,did the last date for sunfilim removal got extended by June 5 in bangalore?Any update on this?
Yes, I think so. I am sure you are reading this thread regarding the sun-film-ban verdict, but here is the link anyway
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...-cars-124.html

______

Another question regarding my dear Beat (I seem to have too many nowadays)

The levels on my fuel bar indicator seem to be jumping around a lot. For example, 7 bars remaining, then after a while 8 bars remaining. The next time I travel its 6 bars remaining. Then its back to 7 bars. Weird. Anyone else faced this issue? What could it be?
Old 21st May 2012, 00:51   #2705
Senior - BHPian

Supertup : I had a similar issue with the jumping fuel indicator bars like you are, but more severe . I also had the first bar in a full tank dropping off after a 5-6 km only.

You would need to get the fuel gauge re calibrated. I got it it done last week during my 2nd service/10000K and the jumping indicator has stopped. The first bar still drops off after 5-6km though
Old 21st May 2012, 08:10   #2706
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortis View Post
Supertup : I had a similar issue with the jumping fuel indicator bars like you are, but more severe . I also had the first bar in a full tank dropping off after a 5-6 km only.

You would need to get the fuel gauge re calibrated. I got it it done last week during my 2nd service/10000K and the jumping indicator has stopped. The first bar still drops off after 5-6km though
Since the last three fillings, my first bar has started dropping after only 3-4 kms as well (reported this a page back). It used to last 25 kms before in city conditions and around 50 in highway. Did you ask the service guys about this?

Great! so now a fuel gauge re-calibration is required in addition to the earthing/rectifying the fuel pump sound. Busy 5k service it will be.
Old 21st May 2012, 12:24   #2707
Senior - BHPian

Beat LT's 4th Service done!

My Beat's 4th service (2 Years) done on 19th May and came out pretty happy.

Reached Metro Chevrolet at 8.55am and got my Beaty back at 11.00am. The whole 2 hours watched her getting serviced. Throttle body/injector was cleaned by some spray. Brake fluid topped up, pollen filer replaced (first in two years), front suspension checked and general check-up. Total damage to the pocket Rs. 2507/-

Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review-beat-lt-4th-service.png

Now her engine is giving a sporty note against buzzy boom while acceleration.

As a gift for her in the second anniversary ordered a horn pad with golden logo (current one in my LT 2010 May model is a plastic embossed one) which will reach in 10 days or so.

Cheers!

Vinu

Last edited by myavu : 21st May 2012 at 12:31.
Old 21st May 2012, 12:57   #2708
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, I think so. I am sure you are reading this thread regarding the sun-film-ban verdict, but here is the link anyway
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...-cars-124.html

______

Another question regarding my dear Beat (I seem to have too many nowadays)

The levels on my fuel bar indicator seem to be jumping around a lot. For example, 7 bars remaining, then after a while 8 bars remaining. The next time I travel its 6 bars remaining. Then its back to 7 bars. Weird. Anyone else faced this issue? What could it be?
This is normal.It happens with me too.It depends on the inclination of vehicle,temperature of fuel etc etc.Some times,fuel gauage logic gets confused
Old 21st May 2012, 22:59   #2709
Senior - BHPian

Nope it has nothing to do with the incline or anything like that. It just drops off after a few km after filling a full tank like clockwork. Sometimes when I fill a little more then the auto cutoff just to get a round figure it drops off after 7-8km instead of the usual 5-6

Oh and my car is running much better after the 2nd service. The service guy allegedly changed the gear ratios a bit. The result is no knocking at lower ends of the gear, able to stay in 2nd over a speedbreaker and can shift up earlier. The result is a better driving experience and slightly improved mileage.

One question though. Now while changing gears, when I press the clutch the rpm increases by 4-600 rpm for a fraction of a second before dropping. Is this OK ?

Also planning to do a hard reset for my ECU. Wanted to find out if the reset would affect the gear ratios or any updates the service guy did as I dont want to lose them ?
Old 21st May 2012, 23:28   #2710
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Oh and my car is running much better after the 2nd service. The service guy allegedly changed the gear ratios a bit. The result is no knocking at lower ends of the gear, able to stay in 2nd over a speedbreaker and can shift up earlier. The result is a better driving experience and slightly improved mileage.

One question though. Now while changing gears, when I press the clutch the rpm increases by 4-600 rpm for a fraction of a second before dropping. Is this OK ?

Also planning to do a hard reset for my ECU. Wanted to find out if the reset would affect the gear ratios or any updates the service guy did as I dont want to lose them ?
Changed the gear ratios! How? By making changes to the ECU? Can we really change the physical gear ratios by just making changes to the ECU?

In the Beat, I have noticed the increase in RPM momentarily when you press the clutch. Don't know why it is really needed.

But then why do you want to reset the ECU when you have a 'better driving experience and slightly improved mileage' Would this not override whatever the service guy has done with the ECU? I guess yes.
Old 22nd May 2012, 11:23   #2711
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The service guy allegedly changed the gear ratios a bit.
Nope. That will be an expensive job. The service guy simply plugged your car to his laptop and updated the ECM Firmware to (2nd Gear/Drivability) (xxxxxY4) version. I did it almost 8 months back and very happy with driveability and mileage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post

In the Beat, I have noticed the increase in RPM momentarily when you press the clutch. Don't know why it is really needed.
I believe this is same with any other car. When the clutch is pressed (disengaged) the load on crankshaft get reduced, hence rise in RPM.

Cheers!

Vinu
Old 22nd May 2012, 11:54   #2712
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by myavu View Post
I believe this is same with any other car. When the clutch is pressed (disengaged) the load on crankshaft get reduced, hence rise in RPM.
Thanks for letting know the reason behind this, but this phenomenon is more projected in the Beat than in other cars, in which it barely noticeable. One another instance of RPM jumping has been mentioned by me earlier at http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post2592626.

Both these things are making me believe that the ECU maps and program for the Beat still has got scope for improvement.

GM has clearly wanted to make the Beat more of a highway hatch as all the FE is coming when we are on the highways. Also, the poor bottom end torque affects city driveability. I'm wondering if GM utilizes the 1.2l engine to the maximum capacity by providing different maps for city drives and highway drives, which the driver gets to select every now and then.
Old 22nd May 2012, 17:27   #2713
BHPian

Hi everybody
A query:
Does anybody know if the Spark and Beat wheel alignment settings is same?
My beat was pulling to the left so had the alignment done.Their database did not have the settings for beat but had for spark.They told me it is the same.Can somebody pl clarify?
Thanks and regards
Old 22nd May 2012, 19:01   #2714
Senior - BHPian

Hi even I doubted that he adjusted the gear ratios which is why I put it in quotes. Anyway wasnt sure what all can be adjust via ECU settings.

myavu : Maybe he did but Im pretty sure my ECU settings had been upgraded to xxxxxY4 when sent for the 6 month service.

The RPM increase wasnt there earlier. Its happening now after the service.

thoma : want to do the ecu reset to make the car relearn my driving data because I have changed my driving style to suit the new settings so I want the ECU to make the best use of it by starting from a fresh slate
Thats why I was asking if these new settings would be wiped out by doing a hard reset
Old 22nd May 2012, 19:12   #2715
BHPian

After reading the above posts regarding increase in RPM on pressing the clutch I tried it out several times to check if it happens. It doesn't and like normal the RPM reduces. My Beat is Dec 2011 manufactured and I am pretty sure the ECU settings are up to date at xxxxxY4.

My FE seems to have taken a drop since the last 2 fillings. At present I have 4 bars left and only 250 kms on the trip. Even though my AC usage has increased and the traffic is as miserable as before but getting FE in the range of 10-10.5 will be highly disappointing.

I guess I am going to get a ECU reset done in my 5k service which is due in 15 days. After a reset its better to go for a highway drive right?

Considering the decent power and torque output from the 1.2l, isn't there a way for GM to do something to the gear ratios to improve efficiency, low end torque and overall driveability?

Last edited by superutp : 22nd May 2012 at 19:15.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks