Old 26th July 2012, 08:10   #2791
BHPian

Re: Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by faustus77 View Post
Superutp
Hi
Read that you are maintaining 34psi tyre pressure
AFAIK the company recommended is 32psi and the attendants at a petrol pump advise 30psi.I fill around to 31psi.
I do not drive for days together so what pressure would you recommend?What is the advantage of overinflating?
Thanks and regards
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhishekB86 View Post
If you were my younger sibling I would confiscate the vehicle and wouldn't let you drive for a week.

22? Why? 34?? Why superutp why? The vehicle will be fine at 32 and you shall feel no harshness in the ride quality. Although I am happy to see such continous excitement about your ride, If I come to your city we're meeting up to share the happy vibe
@ Abhishek: would you really do that after all the 'continuous excitement' I have provided?

22 because I forgot that car owners check tyre pressure of the tyres of their cars.
34 because I always thought increasing the tyre pressure aids in improving FE!!

P:S If I come to your city, we are meeting up so that you can teach me the 'shift at 2k' mantra

@faustus: As I said above, I was always under the impression that increasing the tyre pressure by a few psi helps in aiding FE albeit at the expense of ride quality.

OT- So I guess that theory is not true??

But my FE did improve or was it a placebo effect as a result of ignorance.
Old 26th July 2012, 10:55   #2792
BHPian

Increasing the tyre pressure to 34psi will theoretically have a benefit in terms of FE. Downside being a slightly stiffer ride quality.

This is because a higher inflated tyre tends to be more stiff and has lower rolling resistance. Same can also be achieved with tyres made of hard rubber compounds (tyres that claim to last long and improve FE)

I experimented this with only the front tyres inflated to 34 and rear at 32. I found a marginal improvement in FE and have been maintaining the same pressure since. Not much of noticeable harshness in ride.

PS: I run Michelin energy XM1+ 175/65 which by itself is a soft compound tyre and is wider than stock. May be that's why I don't experience a noticeable deterioration in ride quality

Last edited by Auto freak : 26th July 2012 at 10:58.
Auto freak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2012, 13:42   #2793
Senior - BHPian

My 1 year and 2 month old Beat has started rusting under the rubber beading that surrounds the window frames. Could you guys check whether the same is happening in your cars ? Just pull back the lip of the beading around the windows and take a peek inside.
What should be done about this ? Does the Beat have a rust free warranty ?
Old 30th July 2012, 22:42   #2794
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortis
My 1 year and 2 month old Beat has started rusting under the rubber beading that surrounds the window frames. Could you guys check whether the same is happening in your cars ? Just pull back the lip of the beading around the windows and take a peek inside.
What should be done about this ? Does the Beat have a rust free warranty ?
Yes. Rust proof warranty for 3 years. Check your manual.
Old 31st July 2012, 22:21   #2795
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mi2n View Post
Got the 30k servicing done. Skipped on nothing. Changed everything as per schedule and some more. Paid INR 4500 in total including some voluntary replacements including wiper blades, couple of lamps, the pollen filter(was replaced without consent). Along with the carb, got the fuel tank cleaned as well. Car feels smooth as silk.
Overall, quite satisfied with both the quality as well as the reasonable cost of upkeep of my chevy.
Will try to post a detailed report/pics as an update to my ownership thread once i receive the car from the workshop where it is currently undergoing repairs of a few ding, dents and scrapes caused by an errant private bus last week.
Guys ,My car is completing 24 months in August.I have not received any reminder calls for service.It is running in 18000km odds.When will be the 2nd service done?I think we have one in 24th month/20000 km,right?

BTW,Mi2n-what is the red switch on your right hand side?
Old 1st August 2012, 19:58   #2796
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by white-rabbit View Post
Guys ,My car is completing 24 months in August.I have not received any reminder calls for service.It is running in 18000km odds.When will be the 2nd service done?I think we have one in 24th month/20000 km,right?

The service schedules and intervals are clearly mentioned in the owners' manual. For the Beat (P) it's 5k kms/6 months interval. As a ready reference, it's at 1k,5k,10k,15k,20k and so on. So, at 18k you should be looking at a possible 5th service. I guess by 2nd service you are referring to the 2nd paid service (the 1st three being free) unless you have skipped a scheduled service. In that case the 5th service(2nd paid service) should be due at 20k kilometers or 24 months.
You can refer to my ownership report for details of servicing here :http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ilometers.html

The red switch(now black) is for the aftermarket Fog lights + cabin mood lights combo.

Last edited by mi2n : 1st August 2012 at 20:00.
mi2n is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2012, 20:18   #2797
BHPian

As mi2n mentioned you need servicing at every 5k. You should refer to the servicing manual for schedules and if you have skipped all this while you will know through the manual what all needs to be done.

In case you have lost it I guess one of us can help you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by white-rabbit

AbhishekB86 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2012, 01:32   #2798
Senior - BHPian

Hey just wanted to give you guys a heads up and hope you can check and report back in this thread.
So after noticing a bit of rust under the rubber beading between the read window glasses and the metal frame due to the rubber being badly/loosely fitted I checked a few more Beats and 3 out of the 4 had the same problem.
So all you Beat owners please check your cars to see if the rear window rubber beading is badly fitted and if the frame inside is rusting
Old 8th August 2012, 07:54   #2799
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortis View Post
Hey just wanted to give you guys a heads up and hope you can check and report back in this thread.
So after noticing a bit of rust under the rubber beading between the read window glasses and the metal frame due to the rubber being badly/loosely fitted I checked a few more Beats and 3 out of the 4 had the same problem.
So all you Beat owners please check your cars to see if the rear window rubber beading is badly fitted and if the frame inside is rusting
Thanks for the info, will check mine later and report back. So did you go to the service centre regarding this?

_______
Small Update of my FE: This time around I got a FE of 11.84!! One of the best in city FE I have got so far. I have no idea how because I remember clearly revving the nuts of my Beat once in a while. Maybe its gotta do with the 34PSI tyre pressure and under 2k driving when I am not revving up.
Old 8th August 2012, 11:49   #2800
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mi2n View Post
The service schedules and intervals are clearly mentioned in the owners' manual. For the Beat (P) it's 5k kms/6 months interval. As a ready reference, it's at 1k,5k,10k,15k,20k and so on.
A small change in the intervals. It's 6 months as before but the km interval has changed. Its 7.5k/6 months(whichever is earlier), 15k/1 yr ...and so on.
This is being communicated by the GM dealers through posters at their service centres.
Daewood is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2012, 23:19   #2801
BHPian

Hello Mortis,

Thanks for the heads up. I randomly checked the rubber beading on the left rear side and found no rust. Thankfully. Keep us updated on how Chevy A.S.S. responds to this

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortis View Post
The Curious Case of Superutp

Yes I think the higher mileage is because of the increased psi pressure and the constant irritant after your life to shift at 2k (me )

I can just picture you suddenly jumping to 50 in second gear. Haha!

My F.E. is tumbling down. Last checked it was 12. I wonder if its got to do with the water logged roads and the constant up and down shifting from the 1st to the 2nd gear and vice versa. I tanked up again, shall update soon. Really hoping it jumps back to 13 again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by superutp View Post

_______
Small Update of my FE: This time around I got a FE of 11.84!! One of the best in city FE I have got so far. I have no idea how because I remember clearly revving the nuts of my Beat once in a while. Maybe its gotta do with the 34PSI tyre pressure and under 2k driving when I am not revving up.

Last edited by AbhishekB86 : 8th August 2012 at 23:20. Reason: typo!
Old 8th August 2012, 23:32   #2802
BHPian

hi, my beats current FE level stands average at 16.5kmpl with 50% ac on HW & 14.9 kmpl with 100% ac.
City FE is between 10.5 to 12.5kmpl as our city ride is confined to lot many short runs with mixed AC usage. Do you think my HW FE is satisfactory or should I need to go for FE test? My beat is already 19900 on the odo & due for 20k service.

Last edited by jeganatu : 8th August 2012 at 23:34.
Old 9th August 2012, 00:02   #2803
BHPian

Depends on a few factors. That is a very generic question you put up.

You would need to put in a few details:

1. Is your city run during peak hours mostly?
2. What air pressure do you maintain?
3. At what RPM do you shift gears?
4. Have you upgraded your wheels?

I can go on and on but I would suggest firstly ensure your fuel station is reliable and the correct PSI pressure i.e. 32 or upto 34(bumpy ride) maintained.

If you shift gears at 3 k then try a tank up and sedate your driving (2 k), you will see an improvement in your numbers.

I will still not suggest a F.E test unless you test it yourself with a few stations.

12.5 is a decent number although 10 isn't.

I haven't heard of Beat owners complaining of a big variance in F.E figures. On an avg I get 13-13.5 kmpl during peak hour city commute 2 hours a day.

I have done 25k+ on my car. I have no issues with the F.E or for that matter with anything. My car is niggle free

Your highway FE sounds decent. But again do put up a few more details.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeganatu
hi, my beats current FE level stands average at 16.5kmpl with 50% ac on HW & 14.9 kmpl with 100% ac.
City FE is between 10.5 to 12.5kmpl as our city ride is confined to lot many short runs with mixed AC usage. Do you think my HW FE is satisfactory or should I need to go for FE test? My beat is already 19900 on the odo & due for 20k service.

Last edited by AbhishekB86 : 9th August 2012 at 00:03.
Old 9th August 2012, 10:30   #2804
BANNED

Heard Beat 2013 is in pipeline. i dont have any valid source but can somebody give some info.
Old 10th August 2012, 09:45   #2805
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhishekB86 View Post
Hello Mortis,

The Curious Case of Superutp

Yes I think the higher mileage is because of the increased psi pressure and the constant irritant after your life to shift at 2k (me )

I can just picture you suddenly jumping to 50 in second gear. Haha!

My F.E. is tumbling down. Last checked it was 12. I wonder if its got to do with the water logged roads and the constant up and down shifting from the 1st to the 2nd gear and vice versa. I tanked up again, shall update soon. Really hoping it jumps back to 13 again.
Dude! seriously!

How dare you only get 12 as your FE!! shame on your '2k guru' title! water logging is not an excuse!

I dont know why but I keep revving up the engine even though I know it clobbers the FE.

Have been driving with the AC off a few times nowadays and wow, the Beat feels so much more zippy' er and fun' er to drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeganatu View Post
I think your FE is perfectly alright. Though if driven carefully I think 18kmpl is manageable on the highway. But that would involve the traffic agreeing for your FE cause.

My city FE ranges from 10.2 -12 kmpl (but then, as I have mentioned before, I do rev up) and I have had only 2 proper highway runs, one of them gave 18 odd kmpl and the other 15.

Last edited by superutp : 10th August 2012 at 09:48.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks