Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th January 2013, 23:25   #2941
Senior - BHPian

Re: Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by faustus77 View Post
1)There seems to be some rust creeping in on the chassis and the muffler.They want to carry out a treatment using some black anti rust chemical.They are quoting rs 3500 with a 5 year warranty.And for the muffler(as it is hot) a different treatment for rs 1500=5000 +taxes.They will come down a bit.
For a 2 year warranty they are quoting 3500 + taxes in all.My question is should I do it?How much will such a treatment cost outside and how good are they?
I would vouch for this treatment. It is "3M Underbody Anti-Rust Coating" and it costed me 3860 INR (including tax, done on 23/09/11) on the complete underbody of the car.
This covers treatment (re-paint) once every 6 months, till 5 years, if the coating is peeling of at any place. I would recommend getting it done. Go for it.

Quote:
2)They have noticed ants and tiny cockroaches from the window recesses below the beeding.They want to remove all rexines on the doors and want to clean up and fumigate the interiors of the cabin.Asking for 1200 + taxes.Worth it?
Regarding ants and cockroaches, the only problem that they could cause is eating up the beadings. Eventually the beadings (rubber) might become brittle and crack causing annoying rattles within the car. I guess 1200 +Tax is Ok. Go for it.
Old 31st January 2013, 01:11   #2942
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hi everybody.
Need urgent help.
Gave my Beat(may 2010) for servicing to Nikhil.
1)There seems to be some rust creeping in on the chassis and the muffler.They want to carry out a treatment using some black anti rust chemical.They are quoting rs 3500 with a 5 year warranty.And for the muffler(as it is hot) a different treatment for rs 1500=5000 +taxes.They will come down a bit.
For a 2 year warranty they are quoting 3500 + taxes in all.My question is should I do it?How much will such a treatment cost outside and how good are they?
2)They have noticed ants and tiny cockroaches from the window recesses below the beeding.They want to remove all rexines on the doors and want to clean up and fumigate the interiors of the cabin.Asking for 1200 + taxes.Worth it?...
Is "Nikhil" a Chevy A$$?

I suggest you check the rates in your nearest 3M outlet - am sure you will end up saving atleast Rs. 1000/-. If you do NOT want to spend another day to get this done, give to the same guys.

As to the anti-rust coating - it is good. BUT, try to take the 2 year stuff. All these 5 year warranty is bogus; they will NOT bother to do anything unless there is substantial damage or peeling which will NOT happen!

When I did the coating, they said I can have 3 more coats in 3 years or 5 years, but A$$ never agreed to do it citing that there is NO damage. So please do NOT waste money on the 5 year stuff.

Did they show you ants & cockroaches in the window? If not, please verify for yourself and give a go ahead. I suggest you get that work done in 3M as well.
swiftnfurious is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2013, 01:55   #2943
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
2)They have noticed ants and tiny cockroaches from the window recesses below the beeding.They want to remove all rexines on the doors and want to clean up and fumigate the interiors of the cabin.Asking for 1200 + taxes.Worth it?
I don't know how well the beading will be re-fixed, but an interior cleaning from my Maruti service center costed me close to 1k. So I guess the quote given to you is fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
When I did the coating, they said I can have 3 more coats in 3 years or 5 years, but A$$ never agreed to do it citing that there is NO damage. So please do NOT waste money on the 5 year stuff.
But does the 3M outlet really do any re-coating in the following years or do they just have a vague inspection? I couldn't find a 3M outlet at my place. And the respective dealerships are authorized by 3M to do their stuff. At least the 3M web-site says so.

Off-Topic:
Do you know where is the authorised 3M center at Kottayam?

Last edited by thoma : 31st January 2013 at 02:14.
thoma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2013, 01:59   #2944
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
Do you know where is the authorised 3M center at Kottayam? If yes, please share the place. I'll find out.
In Kottayam, 3CS is the 3M dealer. These guys are located at Manipuzha on the left side when you go from Kottayam to Changanasseri.

You need to go further (0.5-1.0 km) from Windsor Castle and it's close to the Bridgestone outlet. There are a couple of more car accessories shops there.

Edit:: I had done my coating at AVG. I found these guys later.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 31st January 2013 at 02:00.
swiftnfurious is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2013, 10:33   #2945
BHPian

Soumyajit/Swiftnfurious/Thoma
Thanks a lot for your replies.
I will opt for the 2 year coating.It will be difficult for me to go to a 3M outlet and wait there and collect the car after the treatment.As the car is at Nikhil(yes,it is A.S.S.) let them do it.
Will ask them about the beeding.Will opt for the treatment of the interiors,for whatever it is worth.
One thing I forgot to ask here.He has recommended change of wiper blades.Any thoughts?They have hardly been used.His contention was that the rubbers have hardened.Please guide about cost and whether it is worthwhile to go for Bosch or any other wiper brand?
Thanks and regards

Last edited by faustus77 : 31st January 2013 at 10:40.
Old 31st January 2013, 10:52   #2946
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
He has recommended change of wiper blades.Any thoughts?They have hardly been used.His contention was that the rubbers have hardened.Please guide about cost and whether it is worthwhile to go for Bosch or any other wiper brand?
Ideally, wiper blades should be replaced after a year's use or unuse. The sun takes more toll on the rubber than the rain.

Bosch should do fine. In my opinion better than OEM. There is lots of information on the forum on other brands too, including Hella.
Old 31st January 2013, 11:03   #2947
BHPian

Quote:

One thing I forgot to ask here.He has recommended change of wiper blades.Any thoughts?They have hardly been used.His contention was that the rubbers have hardened.Please guide about cost and whether it is worthwhile to go for Bosch or any other wiper brand?
Thanks and regards
There isn't a need for wiper upgrade unless you want one but wipers should be changed once every year. Bosch and Hella provide quality wipers but it really comes down to how much do you want to spend on them. GTO in one thread has said that wipers should be changed once a year.

If you're looking for infrequent city commute driving once a week or so stick with ordinary wipers but if you're going to travel I in my own personal opinion would suggest an upgrade. Remember 90% of vehicles we see everyday run on normal wipers. It is really your choice.
Old 31st January 2013, 11:03   #2948
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks and regards
I second to thoma. "The sun causes more damage than rain". The rubber becomes brittle.
Changing it is upto you. Do you see lines of water still remaining on the windsheild after a clean water wipe ? If yes, then it calls for replacement.

Hella Premium Wipers would cost you approx 200 bucks each. (Total 400 max).
Hella Dynaedge or Bosch Aerotwins would cost you approx 1200 (for a pair).

I would recommend the wipers replaced at an accessories shop. The A.S.S would charge you a stupid labour charge for the replacement. Not sure, but they might inflate the actual price of the wipers even.
Soumyajit9 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2013, 22:24   #2949
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks a lot for your replies.
I will opt for the 2 year coating.It will be difficult for me to go to a 3M outlet and wait there and collect the car after the treatment.As the car is at Nikhil(yes,it is A.S.S.) let them do it.
Will ask them about the beeding.Will opt for the treatment of the interiors,for whatever it is worth.
Thanks and regards
Firstly, the Under body coating at Nikhil is pretty good. I have done it on my baby and shes all fine beneath.

I have changed wipers on her last month to Bosch wipers of the same size as stock. You really won't find much difference with any brand as such. Stick with what suits you, even stock ones are fine.

OT: Any body find Beat's A/C weak for the passengers sitting behind the two front seats?
Old 31st January 2013, 22:51   #2950
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
...One thing I forgot to ask here.He has recommended change of wiper blades.Any thoughts?They have hardly been used.His contention was that the rubbers have hardened.Please guide about cost and whether it is worthwhile to go for Bosch or any other wiper brand?
Though answered multiple times, change it once in a year if you park your car by the roadside / open space. A car which is mostly parked in a covered spot during day time may NOT require a change. But since it doesn't cost you much, you could go for a change & pamper your ride.

As a thumb rule, check the wipers before monsoon to know how they are performing.

1. Clean your windshield manually well & remove any dust on it.
2. Lift your wipers, clean the rubber portion by wiping with a cloth or a sponge to remove any fine grains / dust stuck to the rubber.
3. Set the wipers back on the windshield.
4. Set the wiper ON with spraying water or pouring water on the windshield and check how clean the wipe is.
5. If the wipe is leaving "arches" on the windshield, change the wipers.

Edit::

You can always buy a set of wipers from aftermarket shops and give it to these guys for fixing. Charges will definitely be lesser than dealership.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
...I would recommend the wipers replaced at an accessories shop. The A.S.S would charge you a stupid labour charge for the replacement. Not sure, but they might inflate the actual price of the wipers even.
To be frank, I was never charged any labour for wiper replacement. It's a 2 min job and raising a job card for it will require more time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
...But does the 3M outlet really do any re-coating in the following years or do they just have a vague inspection?..
Chances are very low they will require to do a re-coating. The work usually is good and there is no way the coating is going to peel unless your car keeps scratching the belly.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 31st January 2013 at 22:58. Reason: Added "Edit" portion
Old 31st January 2013, 23:56   #2951
BHPian

Swiftnfurious/Thoma/Saumyajit/Mrbeat/Abhishek
Thanks a lot to all of you.
Have given the go ahead to Nikhil with the 2 year warranty treatment.Total,incl the silencer, is 4000.It is not by 3M but by some other company.They said that this is better than 3M.Will go along with their word.
Will definitely change the wipers before the monsoon(safer to do so and at a cost of rs 400 not pinchable).Will do it outside as that saves me driving for 10 kms to the Cotton Green godown area.
Once again thanks a lot.
Regards.
PS:On all labour charges they are giving a 10% discount.
OT PPS:Mr.Beat.They(Nikhil) have a free monsoon checkup in the month of June.In case you do decide to go please PM so maybe we can meet there.

Last edited by faustus77 : 31st January 2013 at 23:58.
Old 1st February 2013, 00:41   #2952
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
...It is not by 3M but by some other company.They said that this is better than 3M.Will go along with their word....
Is it Wurth? Please do check with them and let us know. Also please do carry your cam and try and take some pics.
Old 1st February 2013, 17:57   #2953
Senior - BHPian

Hey faustus ! Hope Mr Cyrus has been helpful. The underbody treatment had been done for free when the car was new and its lasted fine for 2 years. While you are there could you find out the cost of the rear wiper blade for me ? Mine needs to be replaced and all the acc shops are quoting ridiculous prices for the rear wiper.

If I ever have to repaint my car Ill buy 2K or dupont paint from outside and take that to the A.S.S. since that will be better than what they have for sure. Way too soft for my liking. Maybe we could source the ceramic clear coat for Mercs and BMWs and use that
Old 1st February 2013, 21:31   #2954
BHPian

Quote:
Swiftnfurious/Thoma/Saumyajit/Mrbeat/Abhishek

OT PPS:Mr.Beat.They(Nikhil) have a free monsoon checkup in the month of June.In case you do decide to go please PM so maybe we can meet there.
That should be great. We can surely catch up. My service will also be due during that period. 3 years
Mr.Beat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2013, 22:16   #2955
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Is it Wurth? Please do check with them and let us know. Also please do carry your cam and try and take some pics.
Swiftnfurious.
Hi
I am afraid i dont own a cam.Last year got a free camera with a 45" Samsung tv.As I have a phographic memory I dont take pictures.
Will definitely update.Mr.Beat has mentioned that in his post.
Regards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortis View Post
Hey faustus ! Hope Mr Cyrus has been helpful. The underbody treatment had been done for free when the car was new and its lasted fine for 2 years. While you are there could you find out the cost of the rear wiper blade for me ? Mine needs to be replaced and all the acc shops are quoting ridiculous prices for the rear wiper.

If I ever have to repaint my car Ill buy 2K or dupont paint from outside and take that to the A.S.S. since that will be better than what they have for sure. Way too soft for my liking. Maybe we could source the ceramic clear coat for Mercs and BMWs and use that
Mortis
Hi.
In my earlier post I have mentioned him and thanked you for giving me his name.We got chatting about the diminishing Irani restaurants(just about 45 now down from 450 odd).Sitting there and drinking raspberry cold dring or brun maska with tea.
I too got the underbody tretment done free of cost when I bought it.
Will check tomorrow about the rear wiper with mr Pradeep and revert.
For the time being have no intention of repainting.Incidentally am not aware of 2K/dupont paint.
Thanks once again and regards

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks