Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th September 2014, 14:20   #3436

Re: Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review

Whoall have upsized the tyres can comment on this better .. but steel/alloy rims provided by beat is 4.5j/inch which can take at max 165/65 tyres. Minimum rim width needed for 175/65 tyres are 5j. The recommended rim width for specific tyre size - table is provided in their official webpage by tyre manufacturers like michelin, yokohama etc.
Old 12th September 2014, 00:18   #3437
BHPian

I love a talk on big wheels
So I may sound biased when I say the Beat ABSOLUTELY needs wider rims - the diameter can be limited to 14" in the interest of comfort. 175mm width tires should not be put on the stock rims, AFAIK.

Sam
Old 21st September 2014, 12:38   #3438

Hi Everyone,

I need advise on 2 things : Paid Service & Denting/Painting of my Beat.

1) Paid Service :

Yesterday, I gave my Car (Beat LS - 33400 kms done) for paid service at JMD Kurla, Mumbai.

The service advisor has given me an estimate of Rs. 5800 + Taxes.

I am providing details of the things that will be done under the estimate. Please review and tell me if the charges are fair ... Since this is my first paid service

So , here it is :

1. Engine Oil - Change
2. Coolant - Change
3. Oil Filter - Change
4. AC Filter - Change
5. Spark Plugs - Change
6. Brake Oil - Change
7. Brake Bleeding
8. Brake Flushing
9. Brake Service

PS: I also asked him to change Wiper blades ... and he says it will be additional Rs. 700 + taxes.

2) Denting/Paiting :

On 09-Sep-2014, a fool hit the left rear door of my beat and ran away. My car was parked at home and the guard failed to catch him. Neither he was able to note down the number.

The dent is medium and right in the middle of the door. The sheet is not broken.

Also, my insurance renewal is due on 29th this month and the original owner already transferred NCB. Hence, I decided to take claim (Bajaj Allianz).

The JMD Kurla workshop (Denting head) saw the dent yesterday. He said that if the door needs to be replaced or repaired, it all depends when he opens the door in front of the surveyor on Monday. If the door beams are bent then the entire door will be replaced.

I asked him if he can check now, but he denied. Don't know why. He said if he opens the door, the surveyor will easily know about it and then he may not pass the claim. Is it true what he says ?

Still I asked him for an estimate, on which he said following:

1) New Door (Replacement) : Approx Rs. 11000 (I will have to shell around Rs. 5000). Break up as below:

- Rs. 6500 for Door (I pay 30% and rest insurance co.)
- Rs. 3600 for Paint (We share 50-50 cost)
- Rs. 1400 for Door Polish (I have to pay entire sum).

2) Repair : He didn't gave me any estimate ... but said I will have to pay only paint (50%) + Polish (100%). Repair cost will be entirely borne by insurance.

Are these charges justified ? Especially Rs. 1400 for door polish ?

Thanks
Old 26th September 2014, 04:31   #3439
Senior - BHPian

Hello Old Fellas,

Long time no see !!

So I am back with a quick, yet important question.

Where do I find the Rear Wiper Blades ?
I have changed the front wiper blades twice, but never the rear wiper blades.

Tried to find some clues online, but couldn't. If all fails, the last unwanted option is CASS.

EDIT: Found this on Aliexpress. But I don't want the entire arm (Damn Costly !) . I just want to replace the blades.
What is Rear Wiper Blade Size ? (Front are 22" and 16")

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Chevr...697628356.html

Chevrolet Beat : Test Drive & Review-wiper-arm.jpg

Last edited by Soumyajit9 : 26th September 2014 at 04:47.
Old 27th September 2014, 16:51   #3440
Senior - BHPian

Hitman : The entire door replacement, painting etc shouldnt cost more than Rs 9000 or 9500. I had to replace my entire drivers door last year after a Valet guy reversed into me with a Merc.
I think the Rs 1500 Polishing bit is a scam. I cant tell you anything about the insurance breakup since I billed the restaurant where the valet worked and they covered Rs 7000 and I got Rs 1000 more selling the old door as scrap.

Soumyajit : Get the replacement blade from the A.S.S. itself. It costs Rs 300-400
Old 5th October 2014, 17:14   #3441
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
Hello Old Fellas,

Long time no see !!

So I am back with a quick, yet important question.

Where do I find the Rear Wiper Blades ?
I have changed the front wiper blades twice, but never the rear wiper blades.

Tried to find some clues online, but couldn't. If all fails, the last unwanted option is CASS.

EDIT: Found this on Aliexpress. But I don't want the entire arm (Damn Costly !) . I just want to replace the blades.
What is Rear Wiper Blade Size ? (Front are 22" and 16")

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Chevr...697628356.html

Attachment 1292438
Options:
1. Authorized Service Center
2. Seems to be a regular wiper blade with frame within the arm - so any regular Hella/Bosch wiper dealer should be able to help out - see if the frame + rubber blade are detachable from the arm (they should be)
Old 6th October 2014, 00:21   #3442
BHPian

Hitman 1980
Hi.
Would appreciate a post about your satisfaction level with regard to the service job done by JMD. Incidentally is it in Kurla west or east?
A word of advice from you and others.
After how many kms is it necessary to do the brake bleeding and flushing? And brake servicing? How much will be the individual / total cost for all the three items?
Thanks a lot in advance
Regards
Old 6th October 2014, 07:07   #3443
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adg_andy View Post
Hi Guys,

I have had to move out of the country on a very short notice and had to send my car from Bangalore to Kolkata to my parents. Although they have an extreme requirement for a car, they are unable to use it for the fear of the police catching them. If anyone (esp mi2n) can provide me clues as how to pay the road tax in Kolkata and continue using my car there , it would be immensely helpful . Changing registration is out of question , since I am the owner, and am not present there. I just want to pay my road taxes in Kolkata and drive there.

Thanks in advance!
I was in exactly similar situation sometimes back and the cops did harass my parents for out of state cars so often that finally an agent was arranged to take care of noc etc even though it was less than one year. I did not apply for ka tax refund and the vehicle still has ka number although registered in WB, it is perfectly legal.

If you like pm me and I will share the number. If it is not BS iv you cannot register in kolkata but he can arrange for registration in some other Rto.
sumannandy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2014, 07:05   #3444
BHPian

Chevrolet Beat clocks 1 Million sales worldwide.More news at:

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/44771602.cms
Old 17th October 2014, 22:57   #3445
Senior - BHPian

Beat's tyre upgrade to 175/65/R14

So at 32731 KMs I bid farewell to stock Apollo Acelere 155/70/R14.

Finally upgrade tyres to 175/65/R14 Yokohama Earth 1 (in sock RIM)

Tyre shop - BK Tyres, Lajpat Nagar. Contact Person Atul Kapoor. Met other guys too and had chitchat. Since it was late evening no much rush too. Got the car back at 8:15PM

Initial feeling is great. Nothing more to write now because I had hardly managed 8 KMs post upgrade. That too in terrible b2b traffic from Lajpat Nagar to Sheikh Sarai. There is no steering hardness or anything due to wider contact patch. In fact it is very smooth that I expected. Also I can't feel any engine strain on acceleration from standstill with/without AC. One thing is prominent, it's more planted than ever before. Not that planted as a Figo (due to it's chassis maybe). Alignment is pending for which I am planning on Sunday. Rotation and Balancing done from BK tyres itself and it is free for lifetime.

Cost breakup

175/65/R14 Yokohama Earth 1 (4 Nos.) - Rs 15600

Rebate on old tyres (2 Nos.) - Rs 200

Credit card charges 2% - Rs 300

Grand total : Rs 15,700/-

Free Gift : Loto Yokohama Track Suit, Lifelong Tyre rotation & balancing.

Cheers!

Vinu
myavu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2014, 23:39   #3446
BHPian

Re: Beat's tyre upgrade to 175/65/R14

Quote:
Originally Posted by myavu View Post
Vinu
Hi,

I'm in the market for a petrol car for my sister. We might buy the top variant of either the Beat or the Ritz. The obvious choice is the Ritz because of Chevy India's not so popular post sales service reputation as reported by some owners. At aprrox. 33,000 kms, I'm guessing you've been using the car for over 3 years now and was wondering if you'd recommend it ?
Old 17th October 2014, 23:57   #3447
Senior - BHPian

Re: Beat's tyre upgrade to 175/65/R14

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjacob View Post
At aprrox. 33,000 kms, I'm guessing you've been using the car for over 3 years now and was wondering if you'd recommend it ?
In fact I am using the car for last 4 and half years

I will always recommend Beat Petrol as a true City car. None of other in the segment comes that close (little up there Grand i10 is super too).

Petrol's steering is awesome. And it ride very well too. Handling is neutral and it will improve with wider shoes. Mileage is 12 to 13 kmpl in city and 18.5 in highway driving condition (all 90% with AC). The size of the car is perfect for tight parking situations and zipping through flowing traffic.

I recommend LT(O) for ABS and Air Bags. New Beat lost ACC and rear adjustable headrests against our editions.

Service is not that bad. Just don't leave the car fully on them.

Cheers!

Vinu

Last edited by myavu : 17th October 2014 at 23:58.
Old 21st October 2014, 13:25   #3448
BHPian

Has anyone upsized wheels of Chevrolet Beat?
The standard practice for beat for upgrading tires is > 174/65/R14/4.5J and 5.5J

Since I am upgrading both wheels & tires at the same time, and I have frequented atleast 4 shops and websites for purchasing alloys, I really think 14inch limits the options of buying an alloy. Also,I am really inspired by some mods shared in this thread where they have 17inch alloys too (not that I want to do that). But upgrading wheels is more important.. There are lot of options for tires anyway.

Can I upgrade wheels to 15 inch with 5.5J or 6J?
Is it doable? Are there any implications which I may be missing on?

Any lead would be of great help. Many thanks in advance.

PS: I like wider base and a leaner low profile look. It may not be always suitable for Indian roads, but still...
Old 26th October 2014, 01:05   #3449
BHPian

Hi everybody.
Need urgent guidance.
My son has complained that the car is smelling bad. It could be due the carpet which had become wet in the monsoon season.
I will be sending the car to Nikhil Automobiles Reay Road Mumbai for service on tuesday. Can a normal service take care of the problem or is something more to be done? I am not too sure whether they vacuum the carpet or just blow air. In either case will it be enough? Alternative is to ask them to do the detailing work or get it done outside.
It has been sometime now that I had brakes serviced. They are working alright but I would like to get it serviced as it is safer. Should I do it at A.S.S or by the friendly neighborhood mechanic? He (FNM) has once done the servicing earlierand did a good job.
Please guide.
Thanks a lot
Regards
Old 26th October 2014, 01:54   #3450
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by faustus77 View Post
Hi everybody.
Need urgent guidance.
Also check if the AC drain pipe is chocked and letting water seeping in below dashboard (passenger side).

Cheers!

Vinu

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks