Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th December 2023, 19:40   #3466
BHPian

Re: Fiat Linea T-Jet : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSD2122 View Post
Appreciate your prompt response!
I thought it does not need any dilution. Earlier one I had always used as is for topping up the coolant level.
Petronas makes both 'Ready To Use' and 'Concentrated Coolant' under the Paraflu series. The type is mentioned on the containers front label.

Only the concentrated coolant needs dilution before use.
--gKrish-- is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th February 2024, 10:58   #3467
BHPian

Has any Linea owner replaced any of the doors under an insurance claim? Did you find any difference in heft and solid mass of the stock door and replaced door?

To add some context to my question, I had a large dent on the rear right door due to some truck brushing that part and had to go for an insurance claim and the service center mentioned that they had to replace the door since the dent cannot be fixed. Post replacing the door I can feel that the new door does not carry the same heft or is not as solid as the previous stock door. Has anyone been through the same situation?
whencut86 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2024, 11:26   #3468
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by whencut86 View Post
Has any Linea owner replaced any of the doors under an insurance claim? Did you find any difference in heft and solid mass of the stock door and replaced door?

To add some context to my question, I had a large dent on the rear right door due to some truck brushing that part and had to go for an insurance claim and the service center mentioned that they had to replace the door since the dent cannot be fixed. Post replacing the door I can feel that the new door does not carry the same heft or is not as solid as the previous stock door. Has anyone been through the same situation?
Similar observation, by observing cars from different MY.

The facelift cars had lighter doors and bootlid, it is very evident for someone using a pre-facelift variant. The last batch of Abarths sold had lighter doors too. Whether this is just better metallurgy with similar strength or blatant cost cutting is something we can only speculate at this point.
DRIV3R is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th February 2024, 11:42   #3469
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
Similar observation, by observing cars from different MY.

The facelift cars had lighter doors and bootlid, it is very evident for someone using a pre-facelift variant. The last batch of Abarths sold had lighter doors too. Whether this is just better metallurgy with similar strength or blatant cost cutting is something we can only speculate at this point.
Thanks. Mine is the 2015 facelifted version and the left side door which is the old one feels heavy and solid but the new door doesn't feel the same. I thought it was just me feeling this way but asked a few others to check this and can say that the new one is lighter as confirmed by all.
whencut86 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2024, 15:19   #3470
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
The facelift cars had lighter doors and boot lid, it is very evident for someone using a pre-facelift variant.
Quote:
I thought it was just me feeling this way but asked a few others to check this and can say that the new one is lighter as confirmed by all.
Unless we weigh the parts, we cannot conclusively say the newer ones are lighter. If you are considering the effort needed to close/open the door to get a sense of its weight, the condition of hinges and door checks play a role. Newer hinges could be smoother.

Same goes with the boot lid. I came to realize this when one of the two boot lift struts in my Linea failed. Initially, I noticed that it felt slightly heavier to lift. Later it became noticeably slow in lifting the boot all the way up. When I replaced it with aftermarket Gabriel struts, it became lighter than when the car was new. The struts were lifting the boot too fast and was inadequately damped towards the end of travel but that's another story.

There is also a fairly high chance that Fiat has done weight reduction in the panels for later models.

Last edited by --gKrish-- : 6th February 2024 at 15:39.
--gKrish-- is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2024, 16:26   #3471
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by --gKrish-- View Post
Unless we weigh the parts, we cannot conclusively say the newer ones are lighter. If you are considering the effort needed to close/open the door to get a sense of its weight, the condition of hinges and door checks play a role. Newer hinges could be smoother.

In the above incident where doors were replaced, there is no need for replacing hinges. They stay on the car when door is removed so it is the same hinge.
DRIV3R is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th February 2024, 13:05   #3472
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Has any Linea owner replaced any of the doors under an insurance claim?
I have not.

My 2011 T Jet had a noticeable difference between the weight of the front and rear doors. This could be attributed to the size of the door itself, as the front is a tad longer.

I would not worry too much about it. It could also be aged hinges resulting in more effort to close the old door, versus the new one, which has fresh lubrication on the hinges.
sandeepmohan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2024, 16:21   #3473
BHPian

Dear T-Jet Clan,

I'm pleased to report that I have upgraded from my old 2005 Hyundai Accent as I picked up a facelifted 2014 Fiat Linea Emotion TJet yesterday. Thanks to the TeamBHP Classifieds for connecting two enthusiasts. The TJet was in hot demand but i managed to close the deal by some divine intervention.

The car is a massive jump in terms of power, features, build quality and sheer driving pleasure. I'm still getting used to the vehicle and I've been slowly noticing the various niggles that require fixing. The previous owner had retained the owners manual and the brochure and even the original invoice. He had tried his best to maintain service records but i could see that the car has been taken care of decently enough. The body definitely needs tinkering and repainting as there are some rust spots that have taken hold on account of living near the coast. I will perform the body work at a later date. My immediate concerns are the following list of points and i would greatly appreciate any inputs from existing owners, particularly the ones living in Chennai.

Let me give a brief summary of the vehicle to establish some background.

Vehicle Manufacturing Month/Year: April 2014 (Facelifted)
Make and Model: Fiat Linea TJet
Fuel: Petrol
Variant: Emotion
Colour: Tuscan Wine
Odometer: 872XX
Remap: Wolf Stage 1 with Stock + 3 Maps
Speakers: Upgraded to JBLs with a massive GB Pro subwoofer in the boot
All four doors damped with insulation. Headlights replaced.
Tires are Michelin Primacy 3s in the front and Continental MC5s in the rear

1. The previous owner has driven the car in a spirited manner and i don't blame him, given how addictive the turbo spool is on this car. However he's still on the stock clutch and coming from a Hyundai it initially felt a bit hard to me but it's definitely bearable now. I was wondering I am about to replace the clutch, should I just go ahead and replace the flywheel too, given the previous owner's aggressive driving.

2. The odometer keeps flashing on random starts and I'm unable to understand if it's a good thing or a bad thing. The only other light I've seen lit up on the cluster is a blown light indicator. I occasionally get a warning to check the number plate light. Is the odometer flashing connected to this?

3. Furthermore, I'm simply unable to see any option that indicates Blue&Me and I'm wondering if the odometer blinking issue is related to Blue&Me not working.

4. In continuation, the media player's display has completely faded out and text is impossible to read on the amber display. Is the media player display available as a separate unit? Or do i have to replace the entire panel?

5. The remote key fob doesn't lock/unlock/open the boot of the car. I swapped the battery and checked with a local key maker and he said the key is working fine and there might be a blown fuse somewhere in the vehicle that's the culprit.

6. The armrest is broken and I would like to replace it. I was wondering if the facelifted armrest top can be replaced with the longer armrest top of the pre-facelift version so that I'm able to retain the bottle holder for the rear seats.

7. The last servicing of the vehicle was at 81k kms. It was a regular oil service with some window related issues being sorted out. Given the car is at 90k service interval, what needs to be attended to and what kind of pre-emptive maintenance is recommended?

8. I have my eyes set on the World of Service workshop as I've seen good reviews both here and on Google ratings. Mr. Mahesh sounded knowledgeable and amiable to deal with, but I'm open to suggestions from other members.
superblover is online now   (10) Thanks
Old 20th February 2024, 17:38   #3474
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by superblover View Post
Dear T-Jet Clan,

I'm pleased to report that I have upgraded from my old 2005 Hyundai Accent as I picked up a facelifted 2014 Fiat Linea Emotion TJet yesterday.
Congrats on the T-Jet. It is an awesome car for the price its being sold in the used market!
I love our fellow country men for giving us enthusiasts opportunities like these

1. Not required to change the clutch so soon unless there is any obvious symptoms of clutch slipping.Clutch is hard so don't worry.
Flywheel costs 75k in Mopar. Again not required to change so soon. Run to at least 1Lakh Kilometers.

2,3,4 As you have already noticed, Blue and Me is linked to the odometer blinking. It is a common issue. Give up on it and upgrade your player.
This will also solve the other issue of media player display. You cannot find only display for it.

5. Haven't heard about this issue. I'm suspecting the key button.

6. Not possible to swap the arm rests. You need to change the entire console. Not worth it.

7,8. Change the timing belt, aux belt, all fluids to be replaced and change all 4 spark plugs. Your car will feel completely different after this.
Spare some time and visit True Sai Salem and get a detailed analysis of the car.
Book an appointment and check spares availability before you go. Or confirm with them if you can get the spares from somewhere else.
Way2Jimny is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 20th February 2024, 18:35   #3475
BHPian

Quote:
Dear T-Jet Clan,
, what needs to be attended to and what kind of pre-emptive maintenance is recommended?
Congratulations on getting TJet home superblover!
Apart from what’s suggested by Way2Jimny, get the engine mounts, suspension, battery health checked as well.

Wishing you happy kms on this beautiful car. Share some pictures
abhi_tjet is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th February 2024, 20:12   #3476
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Way2Jimny View Post
Congrats on the T-Jet. It is an awesome car for the price its being sold in the used market!
Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi_tjet View Post
Congratulations on getting TJet home superblover!
Thank you for the kind wishes and the prompt response Way2Jimny. Do you truly recommend True Sai Salem that highly over local garages in Chennai? Because I'll have to drive down there, leave the car and then go back again and collect it which seems like a hassle. And thank you for confirming that the issue is Blue&Me. Do you have any suggestions for reputed and genuine Android head units that can utilise the steering controls? I am also thinking of installing a dashcam and reverse cam at the same go. I had my eyes on the Viofo for a while, but the Android head unit that works with Fiat steering controls and integrates with a dashcam and a reverse cam all at the same time is a mystery to me.

Thank you abhi_tjet for your kind words! I don't feel like the suspension is shot by any business. Feels tight to me. But then again, my point of reference is a banged up old Accent with sticks for shocks. Definitely will check the battery and mounts! Good catch! Also your TJet's colour is what I have in mind when it is time to paint the car.
superblover is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 20th February 2024, 23:34   #3477
BHPian

Quote:

I was wondering I am about to replace the clutch, should I just go ahead and replace the flywheel too, given the previous owner's aggressive driving.
Replace based on the flywheel's condition. Clutch plate is likely to wear out far more times than the flywheel. You can get it resurfaced if required. Also, the TJet's flywheel isn't very cheap now and costs close to what DMFs of some other cars. You can get a pretty good head unit for that price.

Quote:
3. Furthermore, I'm simply unable to see any option that indicates Blue&Me and I'm wondering if the odometer blinking issue is related to Blue&Me not working.
Odometer blinking indicates error in any of the CAN nodes, Blue&Me/Radio being the most common suspect in these cars.

Quote:
4. In continuation, the media player's display has completely faded out and text is impossible to read on the amber display. Is the media player display available as a separate unit? Or do i have to replace the entire panel?
Most likely, it is the polarizer film that has gone bad. It is fixable and a very cheap item (Rs.50 to Rs.100 for a small piece). Taking the unit apart and replacing the film could take an hour or two. Retain it only if you like the flush fit of the stock unit. Aftermarket units have better SQ and functionality.

Quote:
5. The remote key fob doesn't lock/unlock/open the boot of the car. I swapped the battery and checked with a local key maker and he said the key is working fine and there might be a blown fuse somewhere in the vehicle that's the culprit.
If the car's lights flash on pressing the boot release button, the key fob is functional. In which case, the boot lock actuator motor/fuse/wiring needs to be checked. If lights are not flashing, it could be that the tactile switch in the fob is damaged. You can try cleaning it with IPA with the battery removed.
--gKrish-- is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2024, 07:10   #3478
BHPian

Congrats and commiserations on the Jet.

You will soon learn that it's a frustratingly good car that is now becoming expensive to maintain (see the price of the flywheel and even other basic parts), but almost impossible to upgrade from unless you rob a bank.

You can look at Isudar for one of the better HUs. I have one of the older units and it works great and sounds a lot better than the stock unit. It's also one of the few that has specs as advertised.

https://https://www.isudar.com/colle...40366139146322

Other things to consider if you want to unlock the true potential of the remap.

1. A bigger intercooler
2. Pre facelift suspension; coils/struts/shocks which unfortunately can't be bought new.

Enjoy your new car.
keroo1099 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2024, 20:08   #3479
BHPian

Quote:
Replace based on the flywheel's condition. Clutch plate is likely to wear out far more times than the flywheel. You can get it resurfaced if required. Also, the TJet's flywheel isn't very cheap now and costs close to what DMFs of some other cars. You can get a pretty good head unit for that price.
Big thanks for this great tip gKrish! I didn't know flywheels can be resurfaced and reused and it makes sense now since its just a big hunk of metal. I would definitely look into that option to squeeze extra life out of it.

Quote:
Most likely, it is the polarizer film that has gone bad. It is fixable and a very cheap item (Rs.50 to Rs.100 for a small piece). Taking the unit apart and replacing the film could take an hour or two. Retain it only if you like the flush fit of the stock unit. Aftermarket units have better SQ and functionality.
Thank you for this information. It was pretty difficult to try and find this information and I didn't know DIY was a possibility. However I will take the opportunity to upgrade the head unit to something else because the JBL speakers and subwoofer really will benefit from it.[/quote]

Quote:
If the car's lights flash on pressing the boot release button, the key fob is functional. In which case, the boot lock actuator motor/fuse/wiring needs to be checked. If lights are not flashing, it could be that the tactile switch in the fob is damaged. You can try cleaning it with IPA with the battery removed.
The car lights do not flash when using the key and neither does it flash when I press the boot release button inside. It still functions fine. Will check the fuse and wiring. Have given it for service now at World of Service and waiting for an estimate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keroo1099 View Post
You can look at Isudar for one of the better HUs. I have one of the older units and it works great and sounds a lot better than the stock unit. It's also one of the few that has specs as advertised.
Thanks for the wishes keroo1099! I did check out the Isudar HU and it seems to be out of stock except in the Chinese warehouse. Any idea how much customs charges will be levied for an EU warehouse import as opposed to the Chinese warehouse import.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keroo1099 View Post
1. A bigger intercooler
2. Pre facelift suspension; coils/struts/shocks which unfortunately can't be bought new.
I did check out the thread and I am not sure where to source a bigger intercooler. Apart from the one available with Stellar. Is this the one you recommend?

https://www.stellarturbo.com/product...ooler-upgrade/
superblover is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2024, 20:39   #3480
BHPian

Quote:

Thanks for the wishes keroo1099! I did check out the Isudar HU and it seems to be out of stock except in the Chinese warehouse. Any idea how much customs charges will be levied for an EU warehouse import as opposed to the Chinese warehouse import.

I did check out the thread and I am not sure where to source a bigger intercooler. Apart from the one available with Stellar. Is this the one you recommend?

https://www.stellarturbo.com/product...ooler-upgrade/

I really don't know. I had mine shipped to the US and a cousin brought it down.

Since AliExpress is now a no go, Stellar or Airtech seem to be the preferred choice. Whatever you do make sure the crash guard isn't butchered to fit a bigger IC. I think a 7-8 core IC is the max that will fit in the space available.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks