Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 25th August 2015, 01:14   #2716
BHPian

Re: Fiat Linea T-Jet : Test Drive & Review

Dragula I have something similar to share. I bought a the new Tjet emotion in Nov last year. I have kept my older car, a 2001 Ikon 1.6 and the Ikon sure feels more alive and easy but when I drove the Jet extensively on long highways I realised the confidence levels exuded by the jet can be difficult to match by other cars sitting in far higher price brackets. I drove 983 kms in one day from Devlali (Maharashtra) to Bhilai (CGarh) in 16 hrs (non stop and all alone as I had planned for 600 kms only) and by the end of it realised that I could have done more if I had a few cans of Red Bull . Once you get used to it there is simply no comparison to the Jet's poise and composure. The Baroda Ahmedabad Expway was the first time I let the jet stretch her wings in Jan this year and I scarcely realised the speed I was at. Im a pilot by profession and do know the sense of speed but on the road I seldom look at the speedo beyond 120 kph as I feel that it is not very wise to let ur focus drift. However my wife crisply cut in and said "just look at the speedo and slow down"

Ive the same colour combo for both cars. "Hum red and white chalane walon ki baat hi kuch alag hai" So Im posting the pics of my pair taken in Devlali.

Fiat Linea T-Jet : Test Drive & Review-t1.jpg

Fiat Linea T-Jet : Test Drive & Review-t2.jpg

Fiat Linea T-Jet : Test Drive & Review-t3.jpg

Fiat Linea T-Jet : Test Drive & Review-t4.jpg

Fiat Linea T-Jet : Test Drive & Review-t5.jpg

Fiat Linea T-Jet : Test Drive & Review-t6.jpg

Fiat Linea T-Jet : Test Drive & Review-t7.jpg

Fiat Linea T-Jet : Test Drive & Review-t8.jpg

Mod Note : Team-BHP strongly discourages unsafe driving practices that put yourself and other road users at risk. Please do NOT post about illegally high speeds on public roads.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by ampere : 25th August 2015 at 06:12. Reason: Removed high speeds mentions
Air Cav is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 25th August 2015, 09:39   #2717
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Cav View Post
Im a pilot by profession and do know the sense of speed but on the road I seldom look at the speedo beyond 120 kph as I feel that it is not very wise to let ur focus drift. However my wife crisply cut in and said "just look at the speedo and slow down"
AirCav, coming from a pilot's mouth, this speaks volumes of the T-Jet.

Quote:
I have kept my older car, a 2001 Ikon 1.6 and the Ikon sure feels more alive and easy but when I drove the Jet extensively on long highways I realised the confidence levels exuded by the jet can be difficult to match by other cars sitting in far higher price brackets. I drove 983 kms in one day from Devlali (Maharashtra) to Bhilai (CGarh) in 16 hrs (non stop and all alone as I had planned for 600 kms only) and by the end of it realised that I could have done more if I had a few cans of Red Bull . Once you get used to it there is simply no comparison to the Jet's poise and composure. The Baroda Ahmedabad Expway was the first time I let the jet stretch her wings in Jan this year and I scarcely realised the speed I was at.
Absolutely agree with you. The T-Jet is a stonker of a car. I myself have the 2011 (T-Jet Plus model) with 170 mm ground clearance. The car sits low and really feels like a Jet on the highway.

You might like to check out my ownership review (link is here) (and you should write one for us!).

I recently took the car up some extremely steep inclines in the nearby hills. My friend who was at the wheel for a while was absolutely stunned the way she climbed up the hill. Mind you, these are very steep, very narrow roads.

After driving the T-Jet for a while, one finds it difficult to appreciate other cars - I will admit to this. There have been many new launches with everyone going gaga about them, but when you test drive those cars and get back to the T-Jet, you know those are not quite good enough. Of course, I am not saying this for every car. I have not driven the German cars or even the Skodas (meaning, it will be difficult to "upgrade" from this car - you have to spend a lot more and get into one of those German/European imports to really do justice when it time to change from the T-Jet).

Lastly, I cleaned up my air conditioner filter recently (Link for A/C filter cleaning), and guys, believe me the Turbo whine now sounds much more louder/clearer. On an evening drive, you really feel you are in a Jet plane. . Guys, get your AC filters cleaned ASAP.

Last edited by johy : 25th August 2015 at 09:41.
johy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th August 2015, 09:50   #2718
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by johy View Post
AirCav, coming from a pilot's mouth, this speaks volumes of the T-Jet.

After driving the T-Jet for a while, one finds it difficult to appreciate other cars - I will admit to this. There have been many new launches with everyone going gaga about them, but when you test drive those cars and get back to the T-Jet, you know those are not quite good enough. Of course, I am not saying this for every car. I have not driven the German cars or even the Skodas (meaning, it will be difficult to "upgrade" from this car - you have to spend a lot more and get into one of those German/European imports to really do justice when it time to change from the T-Jet).
Couldn't agree more. It really is great value for money when you think about it, and the nice bonus is that it's great fun to drive.
keroo1099 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2015, 15:34   #2719
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
So Im posting the pics of my pair taken in Devlali.
Agreed - what mind-blowing high speed stability.

Incidentally, this official review was conducted between Mumbai & Deolali. Look at some of the pics on the opening page and they might seem familiar to you.

Hope you head out to the awesome Igatpuri ghat section . It's built for cars like the Linea T-Jet.
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th August 2015, 18:55   #2720
BHPian

Hi Guys, I know somewhere all current and prospective Linea owners would be wondering if there is a way we could swap the existing TJet motor in the present crop of Lineas with the beefed up one found in the Abarth Punto.
145 BHP in the Linea should bring more performance to the table and optimistically thinking, should take care of the mileage issue as there would be more power per ton at the engine's disposal.

I read in a couple forums that the 1.4 Tjet is race ready and the cam shafts and other engine components are already stronger than they need to be , which sets the platform for very aggressive mods. I read somewhere that the Abarth Punto's Tjet just has a new turbo to pump up the boost and also to fit in the bonnet. Other than that it seems the core components of the engine were not tweaked.

So whether it can be be done outside or it comes in as a premium offering from Fiat, how would you guys feel about a Linea with 145BHP on tap?

Last edited by adneo : 29th August 2015 at 18:56.
adneo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2015, 19:57   #2721
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adneo View Post
Hi Guys, I know somewhere all current and prospective Linea owners would be wondering if there is a way we could swap the existing TJet motor in the present crop of Lineas with the beefed up one found in the Abarth Punto.
145 BHP in the Linea should bring more performance to the table and optimistically thinking, should take care of the mileage issue as there would be more power per ton at the engine's disposal.

I read in a couple forums that the 1.4 Tjet is race ready and the cam shafts and other engine components are already stronger than they need to be , which sets the platform for very aggressive mods. I read somewhere that the Abarth Punto's Tjet just has a new turbo to pump up the boost and also to fit in the bonnet. Other than that it seems the core components of the engine were not tweaked.

So whether it can be be done outside or it comes in as a premium offering from Fiat, how would you guys feel about a Linea with 145BHP on tap?
Well, as a T-Jet owner, the 145 BHP sounds nice, but in the typical Indian urban context I am more concerned about torque, and that doesn't seem to have changed much (slightly more at a couple of hundred RPM's lower).

For me it's not about how fast I can go (the Jet goes fast enough !!!), but more about drivability in town, and the remap provides just that. Will have to compare it to my T-Jet ( Listed at 140 BHP with a nice increase in torque to 245 Nm) and see if it's really that much better.
Old 29th August 2015, 20:59   #2722
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by keroo1099 View Post
Well, as a T-Jet owner, the 145 BHP sounds nice, but in the typical Indian urban context I am more concerned about torque, and that doesn't seem to have changed much (slightly more at a couple of hundred RPM's lower).

For me it's not about how fast I can go (the Jet goes fast enough !!!), but more about drivability in town, and the remap provides just that. Will have to compare it to my T-Jet ( Listed at 140 BHP with a nice increase in torque to 245 Nm) and see if it's really that much better.
So does your Linea currently run on a remap?
If so can you please share your experience and the related details like the tuner who performed the mod?
Old 29th August 2015, 22:15   #2723
BHPian

Quote:
So does your Linea currently run on a remap?
If so can you please share your experience and the related details like the tuner who performed the mod?
Yes, my car runs on a Wolfmoto remap, and I have done about 8000 km on it so far without any issues.

The ECU comes with 4 maps;
1. Stock,
2. Map1: I could find no real change in how the car performed from stock
3. Map2: The setting I use, which improves bottom end torque and hence drivability in the city. The car would sometimes almost stall in first unless I slipped the clutch slightly from a standing start. This has vanished with Map2, and the car just feels a lot more eager through the gears and pulls effortlessly to 5000 RPM (stock starts dying at about 4500 RPM). The engine with this map sounds just as sweet as stock, no roughness at all even at idle.
4. Map3: Is to be used with 93 octane fuel, but I tried it with regular. Bottom end is stronger than Map2 but after that the torque just dies and it pulls less than the stock map.

Mileage: It fluctuates between 10-11 kmpl in the city with 50% AC use, with a light foot (i.e: before the turbo kicks in), and some occasional bursts when required. I have managed to get an indicated 14 kmpl on long runs to the airport with the cruise set at 80 kmph.

I have driven, and owned my share of seriously modified (engine) cars and this has been one of the better decisions I made.

Was the remap worthwhile ? Absolutely, and I have no regrets.
keroo1099 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th August 2015, 09:55   #2724
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, my car runs on a Wolfmoto remap, and I have done about 8000 km on it so far without any issues.

The ECU comes with 4 maps;
1. Stock,
2. Map1: I could find no real change in how the car performed from stock
3. Map2: The setting I use, which improves bottom end torque and hence drivability in the city. The car would sometimes almost stall in first unless I slipped the clutch slightly from a standing start. This has vanished with Map2, and the car just feels a lot more eager through the gears and pulls effortlessly to 5000 RPM (stock starts dying at about 4500 RPM). The engine with this map sounds just as sweet as stock, no roughness at all even at idle.
4. Map3: Is to be used with 93 octane fuel, but I tried it with regular. Bottom end is stronger than Map2 but after that the torque just dies and it pulls less than the stock map.

Mileage: It fluctuates between 10-11 kmpl in the city with 50% AC use, with a light foot (i.e: before the turbo kicks in), and some occasional bursts when required. I have managed to get an indicated 14 kmpl on long runs to the airport with the cruise set at 80 kmph.
I found the following ECU Maps provided for the TJet on the Wolfmoto blog:

The Maps :

Mode 1: Stock map
Mode 2: 140 hp/ 230 nm
Mode 3 : 150 hp/ 240 nm (Advanced timing for 93 Octane Fuel)
Mode 3 can be used only when you use the car with 93 Octane fuel. The timing in this mode is advanced
for high performance.

From the above i see that there are 3 modes of operation.

Have they updated their Maps now that they are throwing in 4 maps?

Other than that, have you run into any issues with the Fiat services folks? Can they detect the ECU tweaks when they plugin the OBD scanner during servicing?

Have you tested your car on a dyno to check the actual figures?

I see you are from Bangalore, any chance of getting a TD of your Jet ?

Now i am really confused between the Abarth Punto and a remapped TJet.

Last edited by adneo : 30th August 2015 at 10:02.
Old 30th August 2015, 10:22   #2725
BHPian

Quote:
I found the following ECU Maps provided for the TJet on the Wolfmoto blog:

The Maps :

Mode 1: Stock map
Mode 2: 140 hp/ 230 nm
Mode 3 : 150 hp/ 240 nm (Advanced timing for 93 Octane Fuel)
Mode 3 can be used only when you use the car with 93 Octane fuel. The timing in this mode is advanced
for high performance.

From the above i see that there are 3 modes of operation.

Have they updated their Maps now that they are throwing in 4 maps?

Other than that, have you run into any issues with the Fiat services folks? Can they detect the ECU tweaks when they plugin the OBD scanner during servicing?

Have you tested your car on a dyno to check the actual figures?

I see you are from Bangalore, any chance of getting a TD of your Jet ?

Now i am really confused between the Abarth Punto and a remapped TJet.
1. I have 4 maps on mine. Stock + 3
2. No issues so far with Fiat Service
3. Not done a dyno check, just quoted what the Wolfmoto website said.
4. Sure you can. Still trying to figure out how to PM
keroo1099 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2015, 12:01   #2726
BHPian

Quote:
1. I have 4 maps on mine. Stock + 3
2. No issues so far with Fiat Service
3. Not done a dyno check, just quoted what the Wolfmoto website said.
4. Sure you can. Still trying to figure out how to PM
Are you there on Facebook?
Old 31st August 2015, 13:13   #2727
BHPian

Quote:
Are you there on Facebook?
Yes I am. Just search for Kedar Gopaldas and send me a message.
Old 4th November 2015, 09:16   #2728
Senior - BHPian

Bengaluru to Paris in a Linea

Found this incredible journey - Would you travel from Bengaluru to Paris in a car with your family?

What they did:
111 days. 22,780kms. 50+ cities. One Fiat Linea. Started from India and went on to Nepal, China, Kyrgyzstan, Uzbekistan, Turkmenistan, Iran, Turkey, Greece, Italy, Spain and finally ended at France.

Read more in the link.
msdivy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th November 2015, 09:30   #2729
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bengaluru to Paris in a Linea

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
Found this incredible journey - Would you travel from Bengaluru to Paris in a car with your family?

What they did:
111 days. 22,780kms. 50+ cities. One Fiat Linea. Started from India and went on to Nepal, China, Kyrgyzstan, Uzbekistan, Turkmenistan, Iran, Turkey, Greece, Italy, Spain and finally ended at France.

Read more in the link.
And I guess the person is a BHPian as well. I guess its bhpian andyonwheels
arvind71181 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2015, 21:33   #2730
BHPian

Hello All,
This is my first post on team-bhp and I chose this thread specifically for it as I followed the discussions over here very closely which ultimately led to me becoming the proud owner of the this Italian Beauty on November 2nd this year. She has been christened ELSA, after the character in the animated movie Frozen(as per my fiance), for me it signifies the tiger in the movie Born Free. ELSA currently has 1600 kilometers on her odometer. Looking forward to an awesome journey with her. Also, she gives company to the 2009 FIAT PUNTO Multijet in our family.

Off-topic: Why am I not able to upload an image here?
Vinodh_Gowda is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed