Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st April 2015, 12:32   #2596
BHPian

Re: Fiat Linea T-Jet : Test Drive & Review

thedragula,

Thanks very much for the link to that Consumer Reports article. What I knew intuitively but couldn't express is well articulated in it. An interesting and must-read article!
Old 21st April 2015, 15:30   #2597
BHPian

oops...sorry fellas.

I made a blooper. The vehicle that I am talking about is a showroom demo vehicle & not a test drive vehicle. That is why all the confusion in my mind.
Old 22nd April 2015, 16:23   #2598
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTeacher View Post
And this engine absolutely hates idling; mileage drops like a rock during idling.
Hi

Am wondering why this would be particularly bad in the case of TJet compared to other cars. When idling, the engine does not have to lug the vehicle mass, I can understand that at crawling speeds things would be bad given the weight of the car and that the turbo does not get to spool at crawling speeds.

thanks
hothatchaway is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2015, 17:02   #2599
Senior - BHPian

The TJet does not hate idling it is the boy racer in all of us that does. So as soon as the light turns green the right foot chomps down on the accelerator to leap ahead to the next light or jam whichever may be closer.

It is this driving in leaps and bounds that turns the Jet into a hungry little boy.

Of course no one will openly admit to it but that's the way it really is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothatchaway View Post
Hi

Am wondering why this would be particularly bad in the case of TJet compared to other cars.
khoj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2015, 17:04   #2600
BHPian

hothatchaway,

You are right in that idling is wasteful in all engines. In the case of the T-Jet and my experience of low fuel economy while it idles, I can think of two reasons:

1) I always have the A/C on, which is an additional load on the engine

2) It is my belief and understanding that the air intake in turbocharged engines is optimized for turbo operation, so below the turbo zone the engine is a bit starved for air. This would also explain why performance of a turbocharged engine is poor before the turbo kicks in, compared to a similar engine that is normally aspirated. On this point, I'd like the technical experts to weigh in.

khoj, just let her sit and watch the MID.

Last edited by TheTeacher : 22nd April 2015 at 17:06.
Old 22nd April 2015, 23:30   #2601
BHPian

Quote:

You are right in that idling is wasteful in all engines. In the case of the T-Jet and my experience of low fuel economy while it idles, I can think of two reasons:

2) It is my belief and understanding that the air intake in turbocharged engines is optimized for turbo operation, so below the turbo zone the engine is a bit starved for air. This would also explain why performance of a turbocharged engine is poor before the turbo kicks in, compared to a similar engine that is normally aspirated. On this point, I'd like the technical experts to weigh in.
The Zest Revotron is another beast which hates idling. I have seen the FE fall drastically when the engine idles for 60+ seconds!
Old 23rd April 2015, 14:19   #2602

Does it make more sense to drive the T jet in a city with comparatively less with traffic blocks and where stop go traffic is minimal?
Old 24th April 2015, 09:59   #2603
BHPian

Quote:
If you have a lot of running, I would not get a T Jet or any petrol car for that matter.
I have completed 1,15,000 Kms in 6 Years on my MultiJet. Which Means

Approx. 20,000 Kms/Year
Approx. 1,600 Kms/Month For 6 Years.

I think i can go for T-Jet or am i wrong ?
Old 24th April 2015, 15:10   #2604
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManMachine View Post
I have completed 1,15,000 Kms in 6 Years on my MultiJet. Which Means

Approx. 20,000 Kms/Year
Approx. 1,600 Kms/Month For 6 Years.

I think i can go for T-Jet or am i wrong ?
I think you should stick to Diesel (financial aspect), You save Re 1.6/- per km minimum compared to a Tjet (ie if there is a 5kpl difference between MJD/ Tjet and Rs 12/- difference between petrol and diesel). So in six years you have saved minimum Rs 1,80,000/- on expenditure on fuel, A six year old diesel car will be nearly 80k to 90k costlier than its petrol counterpart(when you sell/buy one). So even if you subtract the inflation and cost of maintenance of Diesel and the EMI of the loan difference (in case you take one), personally I think Diesel would still be a VFM for you.

But then if you can invest the 1 lac difference at the time of purchase and get a return of Rs 3 lac within 6 yrs , I think the difference is not that great if you like (depends how much you like/love) the Tjet over the Multijet.

Last edited by Blue Bird : 24th April 2015 at 15:16. Reason: additional information
Old 24th April 2015, 16:01   #2605
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It is my belief and understanding that the air intake in turbocharged engines is optimized for turbo operation, so below the turbo zone the engine is a bit starved for air.
Clearly not the case with the T Jet in a Linea. The intake is positioned at the worst possible place, behind the headlamp unit. Its just pulling in hot air within the engine bay. While a loss in power is observed during hot summer days with naturally aspirated engines, it is more pronounced on a turbo petrol engine.

If you have observed the air intake plumbing on the Fiat Multijet and VW Vento Tsi, GT Tsi, the intake is right in front of the grill. This sort of a set up acts like a ram air intake.
sandeepmohan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2015, 19:01   #2606
BHPian

Shocked to hear this. Why would Fiat commit such a blunder on their "performance" engine in India? Anybody here who's modified the T-Jet intake to sit behind the grill? Shouldn't be terribly hard, no?
Old 24th April 2015, 20:20   #2607
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Bird View Post
I think you should stick to Diesel (financial aspect), You save Re 1.6/- per km minimum compared to a Tjet (ie if there is a 5kpl difference between MJD/ Tjet and Rs 12/- difference between petrol and diesel). So in six years you have saved minimum Rs 1,80,000/- on expenditure on fuel, A six year old diesel car will be nearly 80k to 90k costlier than its petrol counterpart(when you sell/buy one). So even if you subtract the inflation and cost of maintenance of Diesel and the EMI of the loan difference (in case you take one), personally I think Diesel would still be a VFM for you.

But then if you can invest the 1 lac difference at the time of purchase and get a return of Rs 3 lac within 6 yrs , I think the difference is not that great if you like (depends how much you like/love) the Tjet over the Multijet.

But I don't have choice . It's T-Jet or Multijet PERIOD . I totally enjoyed my drive on Multijet. Now I wanted to enjoy the power. I drove Vento TSI its was fine but I did not like the suspension setup, I felt it was on a softer side.

It's Mind or Heart. T-Jet or Multijet
Old 24th April 2015, 21:33   #2608
BHPian

Go get a sparsely used t-jet for Rs. 6 lakhs - I got a 18k 2 year old t-jet for the price of a loaded alto and for that price, there is'nt a better car in India, if you like driving.
Old 24th April 2015, 23:48   #2609
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
hothatchaway,

In today's urban metros and big cities bumper to bumper traffic and 100% AC running is pretty much standard usage model.

I am personally of the opinion that after buying a SUV or performance car, it would be meaningless to complain about low mileage but then 6-8 kmpl in city for a petrol car does seem a lil low
Old 25th April 2015, 08:30   #2610
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
Clearly not the case with the T Jet in a Linea. The intake is positioned at the worst possible place, behind the headlamp unit. Its just pulling in hot air within the engine bay. While a loss in power is observed during hot summer days with naturally aspirated engines, it is more pronounced on a turbo petrol engine.

If you have observed the air intake plumbing on the Fiat Multijet and VW Vento Tsi, GT Tsi, the intake is right in front of the grill. This sort of a set up acts like a ram air intake.
Dear Teacher and SandeepMohan, what is your opinion is the stock air filter sufficient to do the job? Does it make sense to change the air filter to an after market one eg: K&N filter?

Also to all experts here what is your take on "remapping" the T-JET ECU? Does it make sense? Have any of you done it? I got a quote from Pete's to do this for about ~25 k.

My T-JET is 1 year old and done 12k.

Please let me know.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks