Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th November 2014, 15:12   #7351
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by premc44 View Post
What on earth is happening to the legendary German Engineering?
So sorry to see that you have faced so many issues with your car, its shocking and heart breaking to see so many major part failures in a 2 year old car but VW India's support is extremely poor.

Our moderator Anshuman had mentioned that true Germans start from Laura/Jetta and i so agree to it after driving my Vento for 32000 kms. Infact i was in awe that this car passed the road worthiness and quality checks with that loud thuds from rear suspension every time i go over a speed hump and beading noises which they have not been able to solve till now. I even find brake behaviour weird, brake hard on potholed roads and the car is all over the road.

I have been facing issues as well with the gear shift and bad vibration on engine start up but service centre claimed all was normal. Have even god a glow plug light 500 kms away from nearest VW service centre and was really scared, thankfully never came back once i deleted error codes with obd scanner.
Have already got my discs and pads changed at 14000 kms as the car was shuddering and vw rejected warranty all at my cost. My friend's Rapid also had discs and pads changed 3 times in 30,000 and now the gear mount is bust, lever vibrates badly in 4th cog.

Then there are multiple injector faillures, instead of doing a recall VW India is waiting for its owners to get stranded. Have a 2009 Linea which has clocked 60,000 and its been bullet proof reliable ( thats surprising right), few rattles and a clutch change at 50,000 is all it required and support from Fiat India is top notch.

The warranty on suspension is 6month, 10,000 kms, in comparison every one else gives a 30k to 40k kms warranty. I have even put coil spring assisters at rear to reduce the sickening thud sound which frustrates me so much and to stiffen the ultra soft rear suspension and that has helped a little.

If it was not for the blast to drive 1.6 TDi, i would have sold this car long back. 1.5 TDi is a dud compared to this engine but still i will sell the car off within extended warranty period. I can not make peace with japanese cars but even cars like Cruze have much better reliability.
coolboy007 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th November 2014, 13:50   #7352
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolboy007 View Post
i will sell the car off within extended warranty period
I am in the same boat mate, I own Skoda Rapid and made my mind to get rid of before expiry of extended warranty.
I also made my mind for not to buy VW Family cars again in my life. No prize for guessing the reason, ever growing horror stories and frequent failures forced me take this decision.
Old 27th November 2014, 15:42   #7353
BHPian

All this while i was thinking of upgrading to Vento (from a ritz vdi) and i just randomly thought i will check the last page, and thank God i did !! No doubt there are so so many ventos in the used car market available for dirt price.
Old 27th November 2014, 22:57   #7354
BHPian

Oh common you guys… all this just when I almost made up my mind and go for the Vento DSG! I am sure there are far more happy owners too.. People who have used their ventos for 40-50 or 70 thousand kilometers too! Even Mahindra cars are termed as good cars but I have had some really bad experiences with my XUV. The Engine assembly was replaced and Power steering also gave away due to PS oil leakage once apart from many other problems within 2 years of ownership. But I still enjoy my ride and plan to keep it for another 4-5 years.

Also few days back when I called the VW dealership, the Sales guy just told me that a customer who had bought a polo met with a very bad accident and came out unhurt and seeing the condition of the car no one would say that would be possible and that would be one big advantage VW cars have! They are pretty well built and safe.
Old 28th November 2014, 05:10   #7355
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by magikrider View Post
told me that a customer who had bought a polo met with a very bad accident and came out unhurt and seeing the condition of the car no one would say that would be possible and that would be one big advantage VW cars have! They are pretty well built and safe.
Congrats on your Vento Dsg, its one great car and with addition of esp and tc, it would be better to drive than our old 1.6 TDi Vento's.

This is one of the safest car you will get below 13 lakhs and there is no doubting that, unlike Maruti or Datsun, VW has cut no corners in safety and its a well built car. You and your family would be safe innit.The car does have its fair share of reliability issues and the service up here in North is poor.

Will i buy a VW again in India, probably not but do i enjoy driving this car - hell yes. The engine alone puts a smile on your face even after 2 years. If you have dealt with XUV, you will be happy here, Vento does not have those niggling issues.
coolboy007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2014, 01:38   #7356
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolboy007 View Post
Congrats on your Vento Dsg, its one great car and with addition of esp and tc, it would be better to drive than our old 1.6 TDi Vento's.

This is one of the safest car you will get below 13 lakhs and there is no doubting that, unlike Maruti or Datsun, VW has cut no corners in safety and its a well built car. You and your family would be safe innit.The car does have its fair share of reliability issues and the service up here in North is poor.

Will i buy a VW again in India, probably not but do i enjoy driving this car - hell yes. The engine alone puts a smile on your face even after 2 years. If you have dealt with XUV, you will be happy here, Vento does not have those niggling issues.
Thanks but I haven't yet booked or finalized on the car yet! I mean't that I have almost made up my mind to go for the vento! But thanks for your wish in advance!

I think I'll take one more TD of the Rapid DSG before finalizing. Rapid TD because Vento TDI DSG is not yet available for TD. Need one more TD because I could not understand the DSG the first time I drove it. It felt little confusing and I felt the Turbo Lag, which I didn't feel on the manual. Specially when I would press the full throttle, it would wait for a second or two and then push ahead strongly.
Old 29th November 2014, 05:12   #7357
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Specially when I would press the full throttle, it would wait for a second or two and then push ahead strongly.
That is a DSG characteristic and is present with most VW dsg equipped cars. The upshifts are lightning fast but once you mash full throttle, there is a slight delay before dsg downshifts gears. It is a bit hesistant in downshifting.
coolboy007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2014, 07:36   #7358

Quote:
Thanks but I haven't yet booked or finalized on the car yet! I mean't that I have almost made up my mind to go for the vento! But thanks for your wish in advance!

I think I'll take one more TD of the Rapid DSG before finalizing. Rapid TD because Vento TDI DSG is not yet available for TD. Need one more TD because I could not understand the DSG the first time I drove it. It felt little confusing and I felt the Turbo Lag, which I didn't feel on the manual. Specially when I would press the full throttle, it would wait for a second or two and then push ahead strongly.
DSG is very dynamic and you can make the car produce "sports" mode results from "drive" mode just by flooring the throttle and there by letting the car know that you are in urgent need of some acceleration. In that case DSG takes the rev to a much higher level before up shifting. For a gear box thats this much dynamic and efficient, its completely normal to take a bit of thinking time before it chooses the gear based upon your throttle input.
alexxx is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2014, 09:45   #7359

In a manual the driver does all the thinking to be on the right gear before flooring the throttle and very rarely a good driver needs to downshift half way through an overtaking manoeuvre.
In automatics the downshifts aren't pre-planned. Unless you are in sports mode. The "hesitance" factor is just finding the right gear and Rev-Matching accordingly. The upshifts are more predictable and hence lightning quick.
If one simply dislikes this lag during a spirited drive, one can use the tiptronic to get to the right gear and then mash the throttle when needed. Then move the stick back to sport mode and let the DSG work its magic on upshifts.
IcemanFarhan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2014, 16:21   #7360
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcemanFarhan View Post
In a manual the driver does all the thinking to be on the right gear before flooring the throttle and very rarely a good driver needs to downshift half way through an overtaking manoeuvre.
In automatics the downshifts aren't pre-planned. Unless you are in sports mode. The "hesitance" factor is just finding the right gear and Rev-Matching accordingly. The upshifts are more predictable and hence lightning quick.
If one simply dislikes this lag during a spirited drive, one can use the tiptronic to get to the right gear and then mash the throttle when needed. Then move the stick back to sport mode and let the DSG work its magic on upshifts.
But in Triptronic mode there are seven gears to play with hence its not like your normal 5-6 speed MT! I think the gear ratios would be shorter in comparison to the normal five speed MT in Vento. That might be a little confusing.
Old 30th November 2014, 21:28   #7361

The right gear would often be 1 downshift or at most 2 nudges towards the minus sign, depending on how fast you must accelerate.
The gears ratios are definitely more closely matched. The 6th and 7th gears are really only for lower engine speeds and hence better mileage on the highway. The 1.5litre does have enough torque throughout the Rev-range. Hence hunting for the right gear should be no big deal.
If one is in for a real spirited drive, the sports mode is sheer brilliance.
Old 30th November 2014, 23:24   #7362
BHPian

I took one smallish TD of the Rapid DSG again today and again felt the same thing. Its not as fun to drive as the old 1.6 TDI MT. Though the 1.5 TDI MT feels better to drive than the DSG and is almost the same as the old 1.6 TDI I think. I would like to ask if there are any owners of the new 1.5 TDI Manual Transmission car about the power, pick up, drivability, heaviness of the clutch etc. compared to the old 1.6 TDI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcemanFarhan View Post
The right gear would often be 1 downshift or at most 2 nudges towards the minus sign, depending on how fast you must accelerate.
The gears ratios are definitely more closely matched. The 6th and 7th gears are really only for lower engine speeds and hence better mileage on the highway. The 1.5litre does have enough torque throughout the Rev-range. Hence hunting for the right gear should be no big deal.
If one is in for a real spirited drive, the sports mode is sheer brilliance.
Have you driven the Vento/Rapid Diesel DSG? I am asking this because I have tried the sports mode on the Rapid DSG and its not enjoyable. Its not at all like in the 1.2 TSI DSG, which is a blast to drive on sports mode. Here the engine gets gruffy and drags in sports mode. The regular D mode is the best on the Diesel DSG. The sports mode might be fun on bigger cars like the Jetta/Octavia Diesels.
Old 30th November 2014, 23:54   #7363
BHPian

Quote:
I took one smallish TD of the Rapid DSG again today and again felt the same thing.

That's good mate, the dealership here doesn't even get a DSG test vehicle. As per the salesman I can drive a manual and decide. How on earth am I expected to drive a manual and buy a DSG?
Old 1st December 2014, 07:27   #7364
BHPian

Hi guys, I have a query. I am planning to upgrade my tires to 205/55/15. After the change, should I stick to the same tire pressure levels given by the manufacturer for the OEM tires or should change it?

And on a different note, my car went for a routine service @ 45000km and now I feel the clutch has become harder than ever. What can be done for that? And my glow plug and CEL warning keep flashing sporadically. The CEL warning comes on more often than the glow plug. I have reported this issue multiple times even during routine service, and also taken pics of it, but all they say is “the OBD scanner isn't showing any errors sir” or the routine “lets blame the fuel quality” route. There is (thankfully) no drop in the acceleration or no weird noises and such even when these lights come on. Otherwise I’m still in awe for what this car can do. Best car to own in the 10 lakh segment. Period.
Old 1st December 2014, 09:47   #7365
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc_nikhil View Post

And on a different note, my car went for a routine service @ 45000km and now I feel the clutch has become harder than ever. What can be done for that? And my glow plug and CEL warning keep flashing sporadically. The CEL warning comes on more often than the glow plug. I have reported this issue multiple times even during routine service, and also taken pics of it, but all they say is “the OBD scanner isn't showing any errors sir” or the routine “lets blame the fuel quality” route. There is (thankfully) no drop in the acceleration or no weird noises and such even when these lights come on. Otherwise I’m still in awe for what this car can do. Best car to own in the 10 lakh segment. Period.
As per VW , you need to check for engine malfunction. Check this site. It gives proper directions to all warning lamp issues, worthwhile to have a printout to keep in the glovebox.

http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/owners/w...anagement-lamp

Last edited by premc44 : 1st December 2014 at 09:54. Reason: add detail
premc44 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks