Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th October 2013, 11:50   #6601
Senior - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
What you say is true as long as the FE of petrol and diesel cars is same, but the FE of diesels is much more than that of petrol cars, hence the pollution load per km is lower for diesels.

Further the diesel cars emit less Nox and Co2. With filters in the exhaust system the particulate matter also is less. So on the whole diesel cars with their better FE pollute less than petrol cars.
Not quite. Diesel will emit lesser CO2 over its life cycle if a diesel car drives exactly the same amount of kms as a petrol car. Considering the price differential, higher efficiency on a per km basis and more robust build, my guess is a diesel car will run a lot more and hence negate its per km efficiency advantage.

You also seem to have misunderstood my post. Diesel emits less CO2 on a per km basis - no arguing with that fact. However, it does not emit less per unit of fuel burnt. Also in India there are no particulate matter filters installed on any car - VW, BMW or Toyota. On our fuel they'll choke in no time. This is what I meant by the misunderstanding about diesel. Those filters require ultra low sulfur diesel, what you get in India is low sulfur diesel. Incidentally, it also takes more crude oil to make a gallon of ULSD than modern petrol.

Therefore, on the whole, diesel cars do not pollute less than petrol cars, especially in India. That diesel is better is precisely the perception I'm trying to change.
Old 17th October 2013, 19:05   #6602
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtonMeter View Post
Not quite true,

Please refer to the EURO Energy portal site

http://www.energy.eu/car-co2-emissions/volkswagen.php

For the same Engine capacity, the Diesel engine (TDi)is much cleaner than its petrol sibling (TSi)

Please note, both TSI and TDI utilize most current VW engine designs (New Gen engines coming this 2014)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
What you say is true as long as the FE of petrol and diesel cars is same, but the FE of diesels is much more than that of petrol cars, hence the pollution load per km is lower for diesels.

Further the diesel cars emit less Nox and Co2. With filters in the exhaust system the particulate matter also is less. So on the whole diesel cars with their better FE pollute less than petrol cars.
Sorry for going off topic. Though diesel emits less co2 than equivalent petrol engines, they are no way cleaner than petrols. It is really misleading on part of auto companies that only quote the co2 figures of engines. In actuality, diesel engines emit many other oxides of carbon, nitrogen and sulphur along with higher particulate emissions compared to petrol engines that are more damaging to the environment. Petrols have higher co2 because most of the carbon monoxide, which is poisonous, is oxidized to co2 which don't happen in diesels.
drpudhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2013, 10:10   #6603
BHPian

1.2 TSI Vento is available in Volkswagen Palace cross, Bangalore for display. No test drive vehicle yet. The sales executive is quoting 1 month waiting period for the car.

1.6L Diesel highline after all discounts is around 11.53 L on road. Insurance is around 41K which I feel is bit on the higher side. They have reduced the ex showroom price to 9.99 L and are giving a cash discount of 45K on the ex showroom price for the benefit of buyers. I think this is the cheapest in Bangalore.
Old 18th October 2013, 10:22   #6604
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Well, the problem is the Vento's lock/unlock is the horn, some ham-handed attempt at cost-cutting, I guess. I used to pull in late from work on occasion and feel a really guilty pang go through me as I locked the car in my building parking. It's just annoying. In fact had it disabled (the exact opposite of what you are planning) during my first service.
Thanks noopster. I have also noticed VW has switched to Single Tone Horn now from Dual Tone Horn from AUG 2013 manufactured models onwards. Very bad VW. I don't think this type of cost cutting will save them more than thousands.

You are right, that sound from horn will annoy neighbors during nights.
Old 22nd October 2013, 09:51   #6605
BHPian

Has any one tried a suspension buffer on the rear suspension to reduce the thud effect? read this from GTO
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...uspension.html (Coil Spring Adjusters : VFM Fix for the Honda Civic's (lousy) soft rear suspension?)

Also, see this

http://www.indisuspension.com/
Old 22nd October 2013, 12:06   #6606
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Has any one tried a suspension buffer on the rear suspension to reduce the thud effect? read this from GTO
As per my understanding, it comes into effect when the suspension is fully compressed, cars like city/civic have soft suspensions and when 3 are seated at the back, the suspension bottoms out over undulations.

In my Ecosport as well, the front suspension thuds in potholes as the suspension travel isnt enough, few owners are using this product.

In Vento, thuds happen over speed breakers or when the car flies over an undulation whether anyone is seated behind or not. Suspension doesnt bottom out in Vento as its stiff and has more than enough travel. It rebounds at a fast rate.

Have these buffers on our cng Linea, it increases the ground clearance by a few mm and helps prevent the bottoming out of suspension under load, even i was thinking of these coil spring assisters, rear suspension of Vento is on a softer side, wont mind if it becomes a little stiff but then didnt mess with the car.
Old 22nd October 2013, 14:32   #6607
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolboy007 View Post

In Vento, thuds happen over speed breakers or when the car flies over an undulation whether anyone is seated behind or not. Suspension doesnt bottom out in Vento as its stiff and has more than enough travel. It rebounds at a fast rate.

so what do you suggest, should i go for these or not? also is there a way to get the suspension lowered? the rear wheel arch gap looks ugly in the vento:(.

I was wondering how they come up with the lowered car pics in the print advt. Photoshop?
Old 22nd October 2013, 15:16   #6608
BHPian

Greetings to fellow Vento owners.

My Vento Tdi TL purchased in Dec 2010 has done around 40500 kms. I had taken the car last week to EVM VW Kochi for getting the brakes cleaned and replacing a rear tail lamp bulb. Then they asked if I can keep the car at the shop overnight so that a mandatory software update that takes 5 hours, can be done. The SA was not too sure what for except that it is free and will improve the performance. The updates are referred as 72E3 and 97Y2.

I don't know if this was a missed out one or not.
Has any body got done similar updates and if any improvements seen? It will be nice to know. Thanks
Old 22nd October 2013, 15:33   #6609
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
so what do you suggest, should i go for these or not? also is there a way to get the suspension lowered? the rear wheel arch gap looks ugly in the vento:(.
If you find the gap ugly then please dont go for these coil spring buffers. They will increase the gap even more
There is no way to get the suspension lowered until and unless you have 1 lakh rupees and you go for H&R lowering springs + Bilstein B6 suspension.

Quote:
I was wondering how they come up with the lowered car pics in the print advt. Photoshop?
Photoshop can do anything, it can even remove the wheel arch gap between the 190mm ground clearance Linea, gap in Vento is nothing in front of it
Old 22nd October 2013, 15:59   #6610
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomchacks View Post
Greetings to fellow Vento owners.
The SA was not too sure what for except that it is free and will improve the performance. The updates are referred as 72E3 and 97Y2.

I don't know if this was a missed out one or not.
Has any body got done similar updates and if any improvements seen? It will be nice to know. Thanks

From el lobo earlier

The important updates:

1. Service bulletin no. : 97Y2

Work: Related to steering, to prevent some damage that could happen. Highly recommended. The steering on my car has become a bit stiffer, but I'm actually liking it.

Charges : Free of cost.

2, Service bulletin no. : 72E3

Work: VW is replacing the front driver & co-driver seat frames, to newer ones which are stronger and coated to prevent rusting.

Could be done later but workshop needs at least one whole day, so car can be delivered next day only. Would get it done during next service.

Charges : Free of cost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolboy007 View Post
If you find the gap ugly then please dont go for these coil spring buffers. They will increase the gap even more
There is no way to get the suspension lowered until and unless you have 1 lakh rupees and you go for H&R lowering springs + Bilstein B6 suspension.

Photoshop can do anything, it can even remove the wheel arch gap between the 190mm ground clearance Linea, gap in Vento is nothing in front of it
Dont have 1 lac :( but can go with buffers as long as they can fix the thud :( cant take the thud anymore. can live with the gap
newtonMeter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2013, 19:51   #6611
BHPian

There are no storage space for storing coins for the driver seat expect on the glove box and not even a storage space for keeping mobiles for drive side. How you people are managing it ?
Old 22nd October 2013, 20:10   #6612
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRV2010 View Post
There are no storage space for storing coins for the driver seat expect on the glove box and not even a storage space for keeping mobiles for drive side. How you people are managing it ?
I keep coins in my purse & my mobile in my pocket. Also help keep my attention on the road, the second part.

P.s. Is it really that much of a concern? I find this query a bit ridiculous
Old 22nd October 2013, 20:23   #6613
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
I keep coins in my purse & my mobile in my pocket. Also help keep my attention on the road, the second part.

P.s. Is it really that much of a concern? I find this query a bit ridiculous
I always keep coins/small changes to give to people who asks for money in traffic signals. I cannot take my purse every time :-) or keep coins in my pocket.

Though I can keep the phone inside the front driver armrest but while charging it I have to take it out.
Old 22nd October 2013, 21:04   #6614
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRV2010 View Post
I use the ash tray/ bin as a coin box. I usually keep my phone under the hand brake. It is always paired with the garmin navigation system, so I don't find it uncomfortable to use.
Old 23rd October 2013, 00:24   #6615
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsetorange View Post
I use the ash tray/ bin as a coin box. I usually keep my phone under the hand brake. It is always paired with the garmin navigation system, so I don't find it uncomfortable to use.
Nice idea to use the ash bin as a coin box. thanks..

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks