Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th September 2013, 00:12   #6511
Senior - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRV2010 View Post
I am planning to do PDI as per Tbhp list before registration however the SA says they cannot allow me to check interiors however they say I am free to check the exteriors for any scratches.

According to my SA in Vento all Electrical's and features will be disabled/not working before PDI and only during PDI it will be enabled. Is this true?
Well what the SA is telling is completely wrong. You can always do a complete PDi exteriors and interiors as well. I did it myself at VW stockyard.

Electrical system are all working. If they weren't working, how did he park the car at their stockyard. When I did the PDi I also I drove the car from stockyard to their workshop since I didn't want their silly drivers to handle my brand new car. Also I wanted to drive her for the first time.

So check the car completely inside out and if possible drive her to the workshop if it works out for you.

Quote:
What important things I need to check during PDI for Vento?
Download the following Team-BHP PDi check list and you are good to go.

Lastly congrats on your to be new acquisition.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attach...-checklist.pdf
el lobo 6061 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2013, 00:17   #6512
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
Well what the SA is telling is completely wrong. You can always do a complete PDi exteriors and interiors as well. I did it myself at VW stockyard.

Electrical system are all working. If they weren't working, how did he park the car at their stockyard. When I did the PDi I also I drove the car from stockyard to their workshop since I didn't want their silly drivers to handle my brand new car. Also I wanted to drive her for the first time.

So check the car completely inside out and if possible drive her to the workshop if it works out for you.

Download the following Team-BHP PDi check list and you are good to go.

Lastly congrats on your to be new acquisition.
Thank you!

I have downloaded and kept the PDI Checklist ready.

I will talk to him again tomorrow before going to their stockyard and will demand him to allow me to do PDI for Interiors and Electrical's too.

He has given me the VIN details and it's manufactured in Sept 2013
Old 28th September 2013, 01:35   #6513
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you! I have downloaded and kept the PDI Checklist ready. I will talk to him again tomorrow before going to their stockyard and will demand him to allow me to do PDI for Interiors and Electrical's too. He has given me the VIN details and it's manufactured in Sept 2013
Please do the PDI thoroughly. It's been 3 years and i still remember that I had not done the PDI and it was a big mistake. The front passenger door refused to open. I later found out that they had forgotten to connect some lever to the door. It wasn't an electrical part just something needed to be slotted into something for the door to open. Also driving the car will be a good idea since my car did veer to the left right from day 1. All the best!
Old 30th September 2013, 17:47   #6514
Team-BHP Support

More than 3 years have passed and I got to drive the Vento yesterday..

To cut a long story short, I really liked the Car. The torque surge is addictive, steering is just right and it is a FUN Car.

I would be comparing a bit with the Cars I drive & leave SUV's here.

Engine - The famous clatter aside, its a gem. No issues in crawling traffic as well and if you want, very few Cars would pester you on the Highway. To get kicks I kept the rpm needle pinned in 4th & the way it accelerated, I would put it on par with the Yeti Elegance's thrust. And it does rev seamlessly throughout the band. +1 for that. My Figo D stands nowhere here.

Ride & handling - Evens with Figo, but one thing unnerved me. On bridge joints (not expansion joints), the Car used to get unsettled. The rear passengers were lifted from there seat for a moment, despite me slowing down & bringing the Car to near 100kmph. It was a bit rude I would say. Tire pressures were 28 all around & there were 4 passengers in the Car. T
To elaborate further, my Figo's suspension would go over that bump with a thud instead of air-lifting it self.

Brakes - I feel it was better than the Yeti.

And the Car was fuel efficient as well, despite A/C running & the engine gunned all the time, it returned good FE.

Didn't take photographs as it was a new Vento HL in blue & stock.

^^ The GC for sure is better than the Figo

Last edited by Sheel : 30th September 2013 at 18:11.
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2013, 18:00   #6515
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
To cut a long story short, I really liked the Car. The torque surge is addictive, steering is just right and it is a FUN Car
Every one who drives the Vento has a grin plastered on his face after a drive. The 1.6 TDi is really a gem, its unbelievable how the VW engineers tuned this 105 ps 250 NM engine to these limits. I had a slow 1.4 Linea and the moment i had a drive in this car, i was sold on it. As my friend who owns a Rapid says "these 1.6 TDi engined cars are poor man's supercar experience "

Quote:
It was a bit rude I would say. Tire pressures were 28 all around & there were 4 passengers in the Car. T
To elaborate further, my Figo's suspension would go over that bump with a thud instead of air-lifting it self.
This issue is there with the car sadly , it does take off a bit on undulating surfaces. Skoda has solved it a bit with the Rapid, it fares better over undulations but the Vento flies up. Very imminent when i take Linea and then next day Vento, becomes a little scary on speeds above 100.

I upgraded my tyres to 195/60 and now with a GC of 174 mm and not so long wheelbase, i have hardly had any underbody scrapes in these 1.5 years of owning the car. Ground clearance is really good for a C segment sedan, its just that the front bumper is a little low.

Last edited by coolboy007 : 30th September 2013 at 18:14.
Old 30th September 2013, 18:17   #6516
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolboy007 View Post
Every one who drives the Vento has a grin plastered on his face after a drive. The 1.6 TDi is really a gem, its unbelievable how the VW engineers tuned this 105 ps 250 NM engine to these limits. I had a slow 1.4 Linea and the moment i had a drive in this car, i was sold on it. As my friend who owns a Rapid says "these 1.6 TDi engined cars are poor man's supercar experience "
It's a good engine but "supercar experience"? 105 ps is par for the course for a 1600 cc turbocharged engine, isn't it? Hyundai's 1.6L engine on the Verna delivers 122 ps, though the torque is significantly lower.

Aslo, at 11.23L on-the-road Pune, I'm not so sure it qualifies as a "poor man's" anything . Used to be under 10L when I bought mine (not a diesel but the petrol AT which was a couple thou difference) and a much better VFM proposition, though some features *have* been added now.
Old 30th September 2013, 18:38   #6517
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
It's a good engine but "supercar experience"? 105 ps is par for the course for a 1600 cc turbocharged engine, isn't it? Hyundai's 1.6L engine on the Verna delivers 122 ps, though the torque is significantly lower.
That was said in a lighter vein, nothing to be serious about . Figures are one thing and they way engine delivers is different. Verna has much better figures on paper but have a drive and the engine doesnt feel like 126 bhp, it has lag, delivers the power in a very linear manner, slower than Vento to a 100 and slow in both 20-80 and 40-100 by 2-3 secs whereas the 1.6 TDi is a star performer on road as well as in all in gear times (105 PS and 250 NM figures are lower than Verna)

BTW, does your petrol Vento also has this slight pitching bobbing over undulations? Or is it limited to the diesel ones due to the added weight up front?

Quote:
Aslo, at 11.23L on-the-road Pune, I'm not so sure it qualifies as a "poor man's" anything . Used to be under 10L when I bought mine (not a diesel but the petrol AT which was a couple thou difference) and a much better VFM proposition, though some features *have* been added now.
In a diesel crazy country, those opting for a diesel power plant ought to shell out more. I find Vento really VFM compared to the Ecosport diesel top end we recently booked. The interiors are no match to VW, nor is the engine, just that we dont want 3 sedans in our garage, 2 are more than enough

The prices along with taxes have increased, nothing much we can do about it, my running is low but i went for the diesel just for its performance, it blew me away the moment i drove the car and there is more to life than petrol/diesel calculations.

Last edited by coolboy007 : 30th September 2013 at 18:44.
coolboy007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2013, 12:46   #6518
BHPian

I am getting these quotes for my yet to be registered Vento TDI Highline.

IDV Value = Rs. 999,912

ICICI Lombard = Rs. 36,700 with zero dep
HDFC Ergo = Rs. 36,100 with zero dep Platinum Plan
HDFC Ergo = Rs. 36,100 with zero dep Silver Plan
Bajaj Allianz = Rs. 41,050 with zero dep

Is this price good for the new car ?
Old 1st October 2013, 13:55   #6519
Senior - BHPian

To compare the plans you have to make an Excel sheet with all the inclusion/exclusion listed for each company. Some of the favorite exclusions are
. Earthquake
. Flood
. Riot
. Minimum cost to be born by insurer/Charges per claim

If all the four policies have the same inclusions then choose the one with the least cost.

By the way, my Insurance agent has said
. The Initial IDV is never higher than 90% of the ex-showroom price. If they show it higher reduce it as in no circumstances are they going to pay more than that irrespective of what IDV is quoted.
. There is a formula to arrive at the premium cost and that is same across all companies. Get hold of it and find what is the actual amount as per the formula
. You can negotiate upto 20% off on the premium calculated above.
Aroy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st October 2013, 14:21   #6520
Senior - BHPian

These are too high.

Try with
1. Royal Sundaram and
2. L&T General Insurance

Last week a forum member from B'lore was quoted within 17 K for a yet to be registered sedan with an IDV that was a shade below 9 lakhs. Cover was zero depreciation and offer was from LnT. Do the math.

Quote:

IDV Value = Rs. 999,912

khoj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2013, 14:45   #6521
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
To compare the plans you have to make an Excel sheet with all the inclusion/exclusion listed for each company. Some of the favorite exclusions are
. Earthquake
. Flood
. Riot
. Minimum cost to be born by insurer/Charges per claim

If all the four policies have the same inclusions then choose the one with the least cost.

By the way, my Insurance agent has said
. The Initial IDV is never higher than 90% of the ex-showroom price. If they show it higher reduce it as in no circumstances are they going to pay more than that irrespective of what IDV is quoted.
. There is a formula to arrive at the premium cost and that is same across all companies. Get hold of it and find what is the actual amount as per the formula
. You can negotiate upto 20% off on the premium calculated above.
Thank you!

HDFC Ergo Platinum Plan says I can claim upto 3 times a year and still I can get NCB Bonus for next year.

I will check again with different IDV Value since the car's invoice will be around 947,000 after discounts.

HDFC Ergo has come back from 40k to 36k till today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
These are too high.

Try with
1. Royal Sundaram and
2. L&T General Insurance

Last week a forum member from B'lore was quoted within 17 K for a yet to be registered sedan with an IDV that was a shade below 9 lakhs. Cover was zero depreciation and offer was from LnT. Do the math.
I checked with them too and they are quoting less however they do not offer cashless claims at the workshop. Confirmed at the service centre.
Old 1st October 2013, 18:58   #6522
BHPian

Mod Note : There are several spelling & grammatical errors in your posts. This negatively affects the forum experience for other readers.

Kindly ensure that you proof-read your posts prior to submission. Also, it would be a good idea to use spell-checkers.

Last edited by GTO : 13th November 2013 at 11:22.
vineet1712 is offline   Received Infraction
Old 1st October 2013, 19:50   #6523
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

IDV Value = Rs. 999,912

Bharti AXA and Bajaj Aliianz are very good companies when you claim and don't haggle much. Their quotes may be higher compared to others but at the time of claim they are much better to deal with. Most VW Workshop have tie up with them.

Compared to those like Royal Sundaram, etc which quote less, give troubles during claim. I have been using Bharti AXA zero dep policy for 3 consecutive years and for 3rd year it was around Rs. 24,000. IDV gets depreciated 10 % every year.

Try checking quotes on policybazar.com which are very competitive. You could also check for Bharti AXA directly at link

Edit:
Just checked for Bharti AXA for zero dep policy and IDV of 9.95 lac coming to Rs. 29,248 inclusive of taxes. Have a look.

@ Vineet : I would suggest not to get any of them done, since wiring and stuff will certainly void the warranty but more importantly road side mechanic aren't much aware of VW so called German wiring which they may end up messing. You could get regular steel scuff plate from VW Workshop. My 2p.

Last edited by GTO : 13th November 2013 at 11:23. Reason: Quoted post deleted
Old 1st October 2013, 19:57   #6524
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolboy007 View Post
BTW, does your petrol Vento also has this slight pitching bobbing over undulations? Or is it limited to the diesel ones due to the added weight up front?
Yup, I have the same problem. In fact if you go over broken road (depression, not protusion) even at medium speeds of 30-50 kmph, it takes it very badly. I don't know why this is.

Quote:
The prices along with taxes have increased, nothing much we can do about it, my running is low but i went for the diesel just for its performance, it blew me away the moment i drove the car and there is more to life than petrol/diesel calculations.
I bought the petrol only because I wanted an AT. 42,000 km later am poorer by a lakh and a half relative to someone who bought the Highline TDI by my back-of-the-envelope calculation. Which is an OK price to pay for the comfort and convenience but it really hurts that prices keep heading North and I am now shelling out nearly 85/- bucks per litre (routinely over 4000/- for a full tank) than someone who pays under 60/-
I think you made the right choice
noopster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2013, 20:03   #6525
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post

Try checking quotes on policybazar.com which are very competitive. You could also check for Bharti AXA directly at link
Thank you, Bajaj Allianz quotes are too high nearly 8k than others. Just thinking to go with HDFC Ergo and hope they won't trouble during any claims (touch wood)..

Any one has got HDFC Ergo Insurance and any bad experience during the claims in Bangalore Please let me know

Last edited by noopster : 1st October 2013 at 20:05. Reason: Fixed quote tag and edited quote

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks