Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd October 2013, 09:05   #6526
Team-BHP Support

Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

I was at the VW showroom yesterday and happened to notice the wire/cable still dangling as indicated in the review snap below from the first page!

Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-vwvento04.jpg

It was looking completely out of place for a brand new car parked in the showroom! I hope VW takes note of this and secures the cable properly. It hardly takes a couple of attachments (like a broad cable tie) to have this cable secured properly to the underbody.
Old 2nd October 2013, 13:48   #6527
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
I was at the VW showroom yesterday and happened to notice the wire/cable still dangling as indicated in the review snap below from the first page! It was looking completely out of place for a brand new car parked in the showroom! I hope VW takes note of this and secures the cable properly. It hardly takes a couple of attachments (like a broad cable tie) to have this cable secured properly to the underbody.
It's the hand brake wire which is secured to a bracket which holds it in place and prevents it from rubbing into the tyre. It's there intentionally and is present on all Ventos. If you scroll back a few pages on this thread you shall see the issue I had with it!

Last edited by miharbe : 2nd October 2013 at 13:49.
miharbe is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2013, 08:34   #6528
Senior - BHPian

VW festive offers are back!

Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-644276_673835602626985_672350406_n.jpg
Old 4th October 2013, 20:38   #6529
BHPian

The rattle from my vento's parcel tray is back! I am frustrated:( any permanent fix?
Old 5th October 2013, 01:25   #6530
Senior - BHPian

Damp the area beneath the tray

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtonMeter View Post
The rattle from my vento's parcel tray is back! I am frustrated:( any permanent fix?

Hi mihrabe, glad to read that you were able to resolve the issue. Now the the thing about that wire is that it should not be dangling around like that, it should be cleanly secured to the underbody. The way it is now is an omnipresent opportunity for the same to be snagged by debris etc on the tarmac.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miharbe View Post
It's the hand brake wire which is secured to a bracket which holds it in place and prevents it from rubbing into the tyre. It's there intentionally and is present on all Ventos. If you scroll back a few pages on this thread you shall see the issue I had with it!
See the attached snaps, while the focus is on the sump the rear of the underbody is clearly visible in the background and as you will note there is nary a dangling wire or tubing in site. Now this is the way things should be for any car and not just this FIAT TJet+.

Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-1img2012092600096.jpg

Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-1img2012092600095.jpg

My Mitsubishi's underbody too is clean and flat at the bottom just like the Linea shown here. This also goes a long way in reducing drag and providing a smoother and more efficient drive.

Last edited by khoj : 5th October 2013 at 01:49.
Old 5th October 2013, 02:02   #6531
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Hi mihrabe, glad to read that you were able to resolve the issue. Now the the thing about that wire is that it should not be dangling around like that, it should be cleanly secured to the underbody. The way it is now is an omnipresent opportunity for the same to be snagged by debris etc on the tarmac. See the attached snaps, while the focus is on the sump the rear of the underbody is clearly visible in the background and as you will note there is nary a dangling wire or tubing in site. Now this is the way things should be for any car and not just this FIAT TJet+. My Mitsubishi's underbody too is clean and flat at the bottom just like the Linea shown here. This also goes a long way in reducing drag and providing a smoother and more efficient drive.
I agree it shouldn't dangle the way it does in the Vento but there doesn't seem to be much that can be done. So I guess we will have to live with it given that it's not something that was addressed in subsequent refreshes or model year changes.

Another thing that me and el_lobo noticed when the car was raised was that the rear floor hump could be reduced significantly as there was ample space between the transmission rod and the base of the floor hump. They could shave off a couple of inches minimum without affecting the current ground clearance. I feel this can improve the rear seat significantly.
Old 5th October 2013, 05:05   #6532
BHPian

Quote:
I agree it shouldn't dangle the way it does in the Vento but there doesn't seem to be much that can be done. So I guess we will have to live with it given that it's not something that was addressed in subsequent refreshes or model year changes. Another thing that me and el_lobo noticed when the car was raised was that the rear floor hump could be reduced significantly as there was ample space between the transmission rod and the base of the floor hump. They could shave off a couple of inches minimum without affecting the current ground clearance. I feel this can improve the rear seat significantly.
There is no transmission rod in vento! It's a front wheel drive ideally there should be no hump
newtonMeter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2013, 07:12   #6533
BHPian

Quote:

Another thing that me and el_lobo noticed when the car was raised was that the rear floor hump could be reduced significantly as there was ample space between the transmission rod and the base of the floor hump. They could shave off a couple of inches minimum without affecting the current ground clearance. I feel this can improve the rear seat significantly.
I think the height is a consequence of the required rigidity parameters. Post #14 in the below thread explains it all. And also it keeps options open for future applications like RWD or AWD.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...loor-rear.html
carrerastrax is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2013, 11:22   #6534
BHPian

Quote:
There is no transmission rod in vento! It's a front wheel drive ideally there should be no hump
Forgive my ignorance but I assumed it to be the transmission rod because it's called the transmission tunnel . And yes it would have been pretty perfect not to have a hump!

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrerastrax View Post
I think the height is a consequence of the required rigidity parameters. Post #14 in the below thread explains it all. And also it keeps options open for future applications like RWD or AWD. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...loor-rear.html
Thanks for the link Sir! It explains the rigidity concept very well! I wonder then how do cars like the Toyota etios, honda city, etc. manage with almost flat floors?
miharbe is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2013, 11:28   #6535
BHPian

Yesterday I got a chance to drive a Vento of my relative, it was a small 15min drive but I was very disappointed to drive it.
The engine is not at all refined compare to my Figo, Clutch is heavy and its travel is so long that my left knee got pain feeling.
The vibration all over and especially on the clutch is something can not be acceptable on European cars.
Sitting position and ride quality are good.
Old 5th October 2013, 23:37   #6536
BHPian

Quote:

Thanks for the link Sir! It explains the rigidity concept very well! I wonder then how do cars like the Toyota etios, honda city, etc. manage with almost flat floors?
Well, to be honest, I don't know the answer to that. I'm guessing that the strength of the metal and design plays an important role. I tried to google about the civic and international forums also cited that it was never intended to be a RWD or AWD in its lifetime and hence the low to negligible height of the floor hump. Its commendable that they didn't follow a one size fits all strategy. Maybe costs of design and other factors exist for the height.

My linea has a small hump as well, but not as big as the Vento's. And I would be ok with a Vento sized floor hump if it further improves chassis's overall poise. I speak only for myself here.
carrerastrax is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2013, 12:02   #6537
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrerastrax View Post
Well, to be honest, I don't know the answer to that. I'm guessing that the strength of the metal and design plays an important role. I tried to google about the civic and international forums also cited that it was never intended to be a RWD or AWD in its lifetime and hence the low to negligible height of the floor hump. Its commendable that they didn't follow a one size fits all strategy. Maybe costs of design and other factors exist for the height.

My linea has a small hump as well, but not as big as the Vento's. And I would be ok with a Vento sized floor hump if it further improves chassis's overall poise. I speak only for myself here.
You are correct that the hump is there to increase structural rigidity of the chassis - if I am not mistaken all European cars have the hump for that reason.
One can do a simple experiment at home to understand this concept. Take 2 half pages - with one create a "hump" by folding it in 4 places longitudinally (basically create 5 equal parts with the partition lines along the length) whereas in the other leave it as is . Now try bending both the pieces sideways as well as vertically ( imagine a car turning in a twisty road or bouncing along in a bad road) and you can see for yourself which is more difficult to "flex"
souravc is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th October 2013, 22:58   #6538
BHPian

New VW engines coming.

http://www.cargroup.org/assets/speak...idt_oliver.pdf
Old 9th October 2013, 23:09   #6539
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Yes those are new engines but they won't make it into the Polo or Vento. If you see that presentation it mentions MQB platform. For MQB all petrol engines need to be rotated in the engine bay. The new engines are designed to fit with this new orientation in the MQB engine bay.
Old 10th October 2013, 12:33   #6540
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiren959 View Post
Yesterday I got a chance to drive a Vento of my relative, it was a small 15min drive but I was very disappointed to drive it.
The engine is not at all refined compare to my Figo, Clutch is heavy and its travel is so long that my left knee got pain feeling.
The vibration all over and especially on the clutch is something can not be acceptable on European cars.
Sitting position and ride quality are good.
Engine not being refined: what are the parameters which say that an engine is refined and another engine is not refined

Clutch being heavy: yes it is, I dont find it an issue. Even the C class clutch used to be pretty heavy, I am sure that engine is refined

Vibration all over? well I have driven it close to 70,000 KM i dont feel the same

Clutch being too far, well I guess you should modify the seating position

Compare with Figo? well no answer here Never been a lover of any of these American wheels

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks