Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th August 2012, 22:41   #5026
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Thanks NewtonMeter for the info
Mine is 2011 November HL diesel .
It had a plastic engine cover, which is exactly shown as in pic 5.4 i.e short noise insulation .
apart from that a small pice of cloth like material which covers some opening between this insulaton.
and sadly this cloth part had slightly damaged and got it replaced recently.
Old 29th August 2012, 10:00   #5027

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselat View Post
That's a brilliant move by VW. Do you have any idea how much this Highline bridge model coming up to OTR in Bangalore?
OTR is close to 12L I guess. I don't remember it all that well.

Regards
Sreekanth
Old 29th August 2012, 19:28   #5028
BHPian

Guys, Yesterday I noticed some weird MID display in the car.

The digital fuel gauge suddenly stopped showing my half tank mark, I was waiting 5 mins to show it. But it didn't happen till I switch off and on.

Also the engine clatter which was off for few thousand kms are back. Did any of you guys face similar issue?

Just to add I have done 35,500 kms.
Old 29th August 2012, 20:09   #5029
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopSpeeder

The digital fuel gauge suddenly stopped showing my half tank mark, I was waiting 5 mins to show it. But it didn't happen till I switch off and on.

Also the engine clatter which was off for few thousand kms are back. Did any of you guys face similar issue?

Check for fuel quality! Too much water in diesel? U can visit vw and see if there is water in the fuel filter
Old 29th August 2012, 20:35   #5030
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopSpeeder View Post

I to faced this issue once. The very next day of first service. Switched of the car, started again and the problem was gone. Not faced the engine clatter thing..
Old 29th August 2012, 20:36   #5031
BHPian

Quote:

It happened with me once, but after a switch off and switch on it didnt happen again, guess its a core dump by the software
Didnt notice the engine clatter thing after that
Old 29th August 2012, 23:15   #5032
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Mostly a software error. Restart the car everything back to normal, just like Microsoft Windows. Previously in my car, AC stopped cooling i.e. no cooling effect. Restarted the car and everything back to normal. Till now touchwood.
Old 30th August 2012, 05:45   #5033
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilshantanu

It happened with me once, but after a switch off and switch on it didnt happen again, guess its a core dump by the software
Didnt notice the engine clatter thing after that
This is a fuel sensor issue and I think you should take your car to the service centre for a scan to check if any dtc is generated. I know of couple of friends of mine who had a similar issue on a Laura and their entire fuel pump was replaced under warranty.
rohitm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2012, 09:42   #5034
BHPian

After many days of dilly dallying, finally yesterday decided to take the plunge and booked the Bridge model with VW Mumbai West. OTR 11.52L comes to a difference of 70K with current Highline. Ex showroom cost is 9.96L

Quote:
Originally Posted by akula.sreekanth View Post
The model I have seen is Highline Bridge Model. This model has everything the current Highline has (RCD 310 ICE, USB Aux port in the glove box, reverse parking assist, Alloy wheels, ABS, Airbags) except the steering mounted audio controls and the leatherette seat covers.
@akula, I asked specifically about the alloy wheels and the SA said that bridge model does not come with alloy wheels. I was surprised since just 2 hours back I had a talk with VW Downtown and the guy over there confirmed to me that bridge model has alloy wheels. I demanded to see an email/confirmation of the same. So the sales manager showed me a pdf communication from the VW Head of Sales. It was clearly mentioned that "Further to our earlier communication it is clarified that the Bridge model does not have the following: Vento - Lake Side Alloy Wheels". I was very dissapointed. I also enquired about the original alloys price which they told me was 14.5K per piece which comes to 58K for a whole set. ex showroom price difference between Highline and Bridge is around 51K. Leatherette seats may be around 10-15K, Steering control - dont know , alloys 58K which comes to around 75K+steering controls cost.
Anyways decided to gamble and go for the Bridge model and see if it comes with alloys.
On top of this the dumbo SA is trying to tell me that there is no Highline now so you cannot book the higher model which comes with alloys.

Meanwhile after some research, I found out that the current Vento alloys model is Riverside. So does that mean that VW is trying to imitate Honda ?? -The City with S MT and V MT comes with different alloys.

So will the Bridge model have Riverside alloys and the Highline+ have Lake side alloys?
Or will the bridge model not have alloys and Highline+ have Lake side alloys?
Big confusion!! Hope somebody can clear this out.

Last edited by surd_biker : 30th August 2012 at 09:43.
Old 30th August 2012, 10:24   #5035
BHPian

There are few issues a friend of mine recently had with his Vento (bought in Aug'2011).
1. There was gasket leakage detected in the boot lid cover coz of which water had seeped into the boot. (The beading replaced by VW.
2. There is some amount of black smoke from the exhaust. I wonder the car is only 1 yr old and already this is the situation.
3. This is something I have no idea about, he complained about reducing engine oil every month. he has to top up some 100 ml once every month. He informed the VW regarding it and they explained saying that all diesel engines (especially with turbo) eats up some engine oil. He told that the turbo is cooled by the oil and the oil eventually burns and that reduces the oil.
I wanted to know if this is the TRUE picture of reducing oil.
Please let me know.

Just a piece of information the service of vento cost him 13K where his 3 yrs old honda city service cot him only 4000. Saving on diesel in going in the service. It even outs the diesel saving over petrol.
Thanks!

Last edited by Honda Monk : 30th August 2012 at 10:27.
Old 30th August 2012, 10:35   #5036
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohitm View Post
This is a fuel sensor issue and I think you should take your car to the service centre for a scan to check if any dtc is generated. I know of couple of friends of mine who had a similar issue on a Laura and their entire fuel pump was replaced under warranty.

I agree. Guys, dont think its a once in a while issue. It happened to me and now it happens everyday. Frequency is going to increase, sadly. I switch off the engine at traffic lights and hence may be seeing it more frequently.

The SA told me that he has to replace the entire fuel pump because the sensor is routed through it. He did not have the part and is asking VW for the same. I have told him that it has to be covered under warranty
Old 30th August 2012, 11:38   #5037
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akula.sreekanth View Post
This model has everything the current Highline has (RCD 310 ICE, USB Aux port in the glove box, reverse parking assist, Alloy wheels, ABS, Airbags) except the steering mounted audio controls and the leatherette seat covers.
Akula

forgot to ask you - Since you saw the car - does it have Climate Control (ACC)?
Old 30th August 2012, 11:59   #5038
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honda Monk View Post
There are few issues a friend of mine recently had with his Vento (bought in Aug'2011).
1. There was gasket leakage detected in the boot lid cover coz of which water had seeped into the boot. (The beading replaced by VW.
2. There is some amount of black smoke from the exhaust. I wonder the car is only 1 yr old and already this is the situation.
3. This is something I have no idea about, he complained about reducing engine oil every month. he has to top up some 100 ml once every month. He informed the VW regarding it and they explained saying that all diesel engines (especially with turbo) eats up some engine oil. He told that the turbo is cooled by the oil and the oil eventually burns and that reduces the oil.
Please let me know.

Just a piece of information the service of vento cost him 13K where his 3 yrs old honda city service cot him only 4000. Saving on diesel in going in the service. It even outs the diesel saving over petrol.
Thanks!
1. & 2. seems to be car specific , however for a diesel some amount of black smoke is to be expected - not all the time but at times when the turbo spools . Whether your friend's car is spewing out more black smoke than usual can only be verified by him and the workshop. Black smoke at "idling" stage should not be there
3. The TDi engine would drink engine oil in the first year . In my car I had to top-up ( 2-2.5 litres) after the first 5000 kms, then another 1.5-2 ltrs in the next 10,000 km. Post the first service (15,000 km mark) I had to top-up only once (around 1.5-2 lt) till the next service which I got it done at approx 29000 km mark. So the "thirst " would progressively decrease and thats the characteristics of the engine . Same happens with most VW TDi ( Vento , Jetta , Laura). Topping up 100 ml every month is not required ( strictly my opinion) , as long as the oil level is safely above the min mark it should be fine . As you can note , my top-ups have always been more than a litre

13K cost for servicing seems to be very much on the higher side , most of us got it done at anywhere between 8.5-10 grands
Old 30th August 2012, 12:25   #5039
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honda Monk View Post
Please let me know.
1 & 2 - seem to be minor problems, the former I assume has been resolved with the beading replacement. The latter might be improper burning of the fuel or if actually there is a problem, as @sourav has mentioned, get it checked at the workshop if this gets repeated regularly.

3. How does your friend exactly figure out when to top-up the oil? Does he keep checking the oil levels on a regular basis, and if yes, why? Honestly IMO these cars do drink a lot of oil, but NOT to that extent that one needs to top up every month! In my 10+ months (& 25k kms) of ownership, I have had to do the top up only once (<1 liter) last month, and that too because the service center felt it was better to be "safe".

I feel he is being too sensitive on this matter, and would suggest him to take it easily - maybe do the check once in 2-3 months (depending on his usage) and top-up only if it is required. It is not absolutely necessary that the oil level should be full at every moment!

Quote:
Thanks!
Come on There are different comparision aspects. First of all, 13k is too high, seems like your friend has been taken for a ride for some extra "add-on" services. Do post a break-up of the service costs, we should be able to figure out where the extra costs went.

And as for your comparision, a friend's Honda city has gone for three servicing (1k/5k/10k) and the costs have been (0/1800/8000). The next servicing is at 13k as per him and there would be costs associated with that. And service costs/maintenance costs are a completely different ball game, which should not be considered against petrol/diesel costs; if your friend is doing that, he is quite foolish to do that.

My suggestion to him - Enjoy the car, and keep these aspects as a secondary thought process.
ninjatalli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2012, 12:37   #5040
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by surd_biker View Post
Akula

forgot to ask you - Since you saw the car - does it have Climate Control (ACC)?
Vento Highline has had ACC (called "Climatronic") ever since it was launched. It is one of the selling points since it is not offered in the Honda City for example. Don't think VW will knock it off anytime soon.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks