Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th September 2012, 15:12   #5176
Senior - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Well I broadly agree with Rachit's post here that 100/90 is better option (although there is some improvement with 55W NBPs also as I have personally tested it against a friend's Vento that was on stock lamps both side by side). But I would not advise you to go for 100/90 setup as thats playing with their electricals and that can tantamount to playing with fire in VW's case!!! Till the point they come clean on the fires thing I would not play with the electricals at all, even harmless looking ones like headlamps.
Old 11th September 2012, 16:09   #5177
Distinguished - BHPian

^^ If you go whiter than stock, please be prepared for loss of visibility and preferably leave you OEM fogs on (yellow). It looks odd but trust me, you'll need it.

The problem with Vento headlights is that sometimes the solution is worse than the problem! :d
Old 11th September 2012, 16:59   #5178
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolboy007 View Post
2. Change to 90/100 setup with relays - there would be a big difference in the lighting but i have a few doubts regarding it :
a. Could it lead to blackening of headlamp lens like we see in a few cars due to excessive heat produced inside or any other damage?

b. Do i need to remove it before every service or just let it be until i need a warranty claim?
Go with the 90/100 relay setup, get it done from a proper garage/auto-shop who understand these European cars and their wiring and you should be safe on all aspects.

Forget relay setups, even HID/projector setups (@mikon/me/others) weren't troubled during general servicing schedules or even during warranty claims (as in my case). I had a VW engineer have a look at the car while it was in the workshop (for the warranty claim for paint issue) and no problems were raised for the projector setup.

After all, these are basic, acceptable mods, and even though the service advisors might "warn" you against it, they understand the need for it and accept it.

As for the "whiter" light, IMO don't go beyond 4300K and you should be better off on the illumination.
ninjatalli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2012, 20:14   #5179
BHPian

the new brochure lists the existing features more explicitly. Apart from the obvious black head lights bluetooth, rear camera and riverside alloy design the following are the changes

1. Heat insulated windshield and glass - I think this is currently included as well not sure if its a new feature {from older brochure: Green tinted heat absorbing glass}
2. Green wedge at top section of windscreen {only in HIGHLINE}- not sure if this is new too.
3. Ashtray in front - THIS IS NEW but i am not a smoker {rapid already givew VW ashtrays standard across all trims}
4. Gear shift indicator (for Diesel only) { not sure if it was available in petrol MTs earlier}
5. Park distance control - Standard across all trims
6. Metallic paints only in high line - could be a misprint

From Polo brochure

Front underbody guard (for Diesel only) - WHAT is this?

Also VW launches das-welt-auto (pre owned cars in 7 cities)

Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-screen-shot-20120911-8.23.13-pm.png

Last edited by newtonMeter : 11th September 2012 at 20:26.
newtonMeter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2012, 22:57   #5180
Senior - BHPian

Special thanks to el lobo (for the brilliant DIY stuff on lights) and other members, finally got hold of the Philips Essential vision 90/100 for lo/high beam, Philips Bluvision W5W for parking lights and Philips Crystal vision HB4 9006 for fog lamps with a Philips or Hella relay.

Will get it done in a few days and would try comparing a before/after shot at the same place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by souravc View Post
Use separate relays and cutouts and please get it done at a good place so that there are no wires cut and naked ends
cheers
Thanks, would wait till the weekend to get it done at a reputed place, dont want to take any chances with this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachit.K.Dogra View Post
Dont go with the 1st option. I am using Osram Night Breakers 55/60. Costed around 1300 Rs. Not a significant improvement in light.
Thanks Rachit, was thinking of 55/60 but went in for 90/100 as people had mediocre experience with it. Been a long time, would try attending a Gurgaon G2G meet soon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
Till the point they come clean on the fires thing I would not play with the electricals at all, even harmless looking ones like headlamps.
I would be willing to take that risk , not at all confortable with the stock lights. Will make sure everything is done in a proper manner.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Go with the 90/100 relay setup, get it done from a proper garage/auto-shop who understand these European cars and their wiring and you should be safe on all aspects. As for the "whiter" light, IMO don't go beyond 4300K and you should be better off on the illumination.
Thanks, everything is below 4300k, could be a problem in fog or rainy season but i hate the yellow light. Will update after installation.
coolboy007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2012, 23:44   #5181
BHPian

Quote:
After all, these are basic, acceptable mods, and even though the service advisors might "warn" you against it, they understand the need for it and accept it.
Yes they won't generally cause any problems but if there is a problem with your headlight setup it is only then they can throw the spanner in the works. As per my SA they have to send "before" and "after" pictures of the fixes they do for warranty claims. In case of any custom changes are made to any part of the car then questions are asked and if mods are made to that affected part they can void the warranty. This is as per my SA I am yet to see this theory tested though. I believe Rohaan had an issue after he upgraded to 100/90 though it was a minor one the SA had refused to fix it. I am not sure but Rohaan can share his experience.
Old 12th September 2012, 13:03   #5182
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolboy007 View Post
Special thanks to el lobo (for the brilliant DIY stuff on lights) and other members, finally got hold of the Philips Essential vision 90/100 for lo/high beam, Philips Bluvision W5W for parking lights and Philips Crystal vision HB4 9006 for fog lamps with a Philips or Hella relay.
Good to know, I could be of help to a fellow bhpian. The only thing would be fogs will be much brighter and a would be slight mismatch as EssentialVision themselves are 4000K. But everything apart the looks and stares you get are worth it and its a very VFM upgrade compared to projectors.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by samarjitdhar View Post
Yes they won't generally cause any problems but if there is a problem with your headlight setup it is only then they can throw the spanner in the works. As per my SA they have to send "before" and "after" pictures of the fixes they do for warranty claims. In case of any custom changes are made to any part of the car then questions are asked and if mods are made to that affected part they can void the warranty. This is as per my SA I am yet to see this theory tested though. I believe Rohaan had an issue after he upgraded to 100/90 though it was a minor one the SA had refused to fix it. I am not sure but Rohaan can share his experience.
You are absolutely correct Samarjit. If Ninja gets any problem with the headlight or even electrical, SA will raise his hands off it and say we cannot do anything, since you have tampered with wiring. Till then touchwood.

Workshop people need to take snaps and send it to VW for approval of warranty for any change of part. Germans are very specific and follow a straight forward approach. Had got my Vento's RHS headlight changed since it wasn't focusing properly. Workshop people took many snaps and after a week or so got a call that the claim has been approved. Been there done that.

Regarding my previous incident, the fuse went kaput in the relay, so no low beam. Took the car to KSM Motors workshop, Nerul. First thing, SA says from where did I get the blue bulbs(Referring to Philips EssentialVision) and on seeing the relay setup, "We cannot do anything, wiring is tampered". Requested him to at least have a check if the headlight switch is faulty. Head electrical mechanic checks and in 5 min says fuse is faulty. Thanked them for finding the problem. Got the fuse for Rs. 5 from local shop and keep few of them spare with me.

Another latest incident being, the RHS headlight not functioning. No sense in going to VW. Have it checked with local shop and just the earthing was faulty. 5 min job and paid him 20 bucks for educating me and resolving the problem.

Now I have learn't the whole relay setup and can diagnose any problem related to it.

Last edited by el lobo 6061 : 12th September 2012 at 13:05.
Old 12th September 2012, 18:31   #5183
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061
Good to know, I could be of help to a fellow bhpian. The only thing would be fogs will be much brighter and a would be slight mismatch as EssentialVision themselves are 4000K. But
I tried hard but wasnt able to source the Blue vision HB4 here so going in with crystal, the HB4 CV are freaking expensive at 570 a piece, hope they last.
Hopefully the install would be done tomorrow and i can bid farewell to the dull yellow light.
Old 13th September 2012, 19:17   #5184
BHPian

Hi Gurus,

Is red color in Vento available in both metallic and non-metallic ? How can I differentiate between the metallic and non-metallic if red color is available in both? I believe just looking at the car we can't differentiate right ?
Please throw some light. I got a quote from a dealer for red color as metallic.

Thanks,
Prabhu
Old 13th September 2012, 19:27   #5185
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhu View Post
Hi Gurus,

Is red color in Vento available in both metallic and non-metallic ? How can I differentiate between the metallic and non-metallic if red color is available in both? I believe just looking at the car we can't differentiate right ?

Thanks,
Prabhu
You can get the VIN from him and ask Wildon to decode that. He will give you a pdf with all the information and there you can see if it is metallic or non-metallic A bit long method but failproof (provided wildon obliges which he normally does)
joslicx is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2012, 19:59   #5186
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Gurus,

Thanks,
Prabhu
AFAIK red was a non-metallic shade in Polo atleast. I dont think why it would be different in Vento.
Old 13th September 2012, 20:10   #5187
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Gurus,

Thanks,
Prabhu
Hi,

Red and white are solid colors (non-metallic) the metallic colors are:

silver, shadow blue, terra beige and black (black comes with metallic plus deep pearl effect)

there is no RED METTALIC color in VW.
newtonMeter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2012, 20:54   #5188
Senior - BHPian

^^
I think red and white also come with the pearl effect. Can remember reading it somewhere.

Edit: I was wrong. In the brochure it is non-metallic for white and red. pearl effect only for black.

Last edited by joslicx : 13th September 2012 at 20:58.
Old 13th September 2012, 23:09   #5189
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
You can get the VIN from him and ask Wildon to decode that. He will give you a pdf with all the information and there you can see if it is metallic or non-metallic A bit long method but failproof (provided wildon obliges which he normally does)
Thanks joslicx, I have called VW customer care too, they have confirmed that all colours are available in both metallic and non-metallic. Based on the information you guys shared and available on the web white and red are non-metallic. I will try to get the VIN and ask for Wildon's help to decode it.

Also I'm trying to choose between Silver and Red. Silver seems not a head-turner but looks elegant, I have somehow feel red feels dashing but not reaching my heart ( I believe that's because I own a red swift already ? Don't know)

Thanks,
Prabhu

Last edited by Prabhu : 13th September 2012 at 23:12.
Old 13th September 2012, 23:33   #5190
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Also I'm trying to choose between Silver and Red. Silver seems not a head-turner but looks elegant, I have somehow feel red feels dashing but not reaching my heart ( I believe that's because I own a red swift already ? Don't know)

Thanks,
Prabhu
well if you are going for the new model with darkened headlamps they would look awesome on the silver. We have two Ventos in red in my office and have to say its not as appealing on Vento unless you do some mods (by the way the Rapid looks awesome in red! I cant understand why it is so).

I think Silver looks quite good on Vento. If I can go back in time I wud buy the Vento in Silver. My blue is such a nightmare to maintain.
joslicx is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks