Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st September 2012, 17:26   #5206
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Mild Hissing Sound While Accelerating

I noticed a mild hissing sound when the car was under acceleration only and not necessarily when in the turbo band 1800+rpm.

Any ideas? I am going to the service centre tomorrow (Downtown@Lalbaug) as a check.

BTW there were no CEL or any other warning lamps on the dashboard. I know some of the members had problems with the Reinforced rubber air pipe for the turbo. Am I being paranoid or is this normal and yes the AC was off and my car is just over 3500kms.

Sid.

Last edited by siddharthdeb : 21st September 2012 at 17:50. Reason: More info added
Old 21st September 2012, 21:49   #5207
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddharthdeb

I noticed a mild hissing sound when the car was under acceleration only and not necessarily when in the turbo band 1800+rpm.

Any ideas? I am going to the service centre tomorrow (Downtown@Lalbaug) as a check.

BTW there were no CEL or any other warning lamps on the dashboard. I know some of the members had problems with the Reinforced rubber air pipe for the turbo. Am I being paranoid or is this normal and yes the AC was off and my car is just over 3500kms.

Sid.
Sid bro! 1800 is punchy power band and what you heard is most probably the turbo hiss! But for your satisfaction you can get it checked
Old 23rd September 2012, 17:44   #5208
BHPian

My clutch suddenly feels harder. Hardness increase of about 30%! Is it normal? Just completed 6k kms. Is it likely that I have older clutch hose? I have a march 2012 HL TDI.

Is there any kind of hydraulic oil which could need a top up?
Old 24th September 2012, 11:01   #5209
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swift Express View Post
Red Wind (Vento) at Pangong So Lake near the China Border.
You can definitely do it. Careful and slow driving is the key. Underbelly will get hit at some places. But if you are going slow then wont do much damage. Across huge craters you will have to keep one side of the wheels on higher ground. In slush do not speed otherwise wheels will spin and you will get stuck.The Oil Sump is bang in middle of the engine and you have to be very careful that it does not get hit.
It was two of us Me n my wife.. she had to get down at 4 places - stream crossings in particular when you near high passes. At moore plains watch out for detours that you will have to take at sections where small over stream bridges are under construction. The detour is through loose sand and hence ensure that wheels do not spin.
Hey, Swift_Express. I was wondering if you would put up a separate travelogue with your experience driving the Vento in Ladakh. I am interested to know how it performed in higher altitudes specially in the rarefied atmosphere and reduced oxygen out there. Since it is the season of sedans making it there, we already have a travelogue on a Linea and now a Laura up there, it is but deserving to talk about the Vento which went to Ladakh even before the Linea or the Laura did .

Hope you can come up with something .
Old 24th September 2012, 11:53   #5210
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtonMeter View Post
Sid bro! 1800 is punchy power band and what you heard is most probably the turbo hiss! But for your satisfaction you can get it checked

So I was being paranoid all the time . Its funny that even after driving for so many kms, a sound you have not heard before can create alarms in your head.

But VW Downtown workshop has a mess, too many cars too less technicians. Just a sea of VW cars everywhere, though the SA was kind enough to let an engineer do a Test drive with me, these guys were just too overwhelmed by the workload.

Strangely the new black headlamps have not reached the parts team yet nor have they received the GPS kit and are clueless about the pricing.

Sid
Old 24th September 2012, 12:06   #5211
Senior - BHPian

One more Vento owner in Mumbai, we should connect !

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddharthdeb View Post
But VW Downtown workshop has a mess, too many cars too less technicians. Just a sea of VW cars everywhere, though the SA was kind enough to let an engineer do a Test drive with me, these guys were just too overwhelmed by the workload.
I also take my car to Downtown , at least the mechanics know their job - much better than the Nerul workshop. The workload is a function of the workshop greed. I think VW states that at most 20 cars should be taken for servicing as per their bay capacity but the same gets stretched to 30-35 cars on any given day, I came to know about it when the SA assigned to my car was cursing his workload. Any repair work is over and above that .
Old 24th September 2012, 12:31   #5212
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by souravc View Post
One more Vento owner in Mumbai, we should connect !

I also take my car to Downtown , at least the mechanics know their job - much better than the Nerul workshop. The workload is a function of the workshop greed. I think VW states that at most 20 cars should be taken for servicing as per their bay capacity but the same gets stretched to 30-35 cars on any given day, I came to know about it when the SA assigned to my car was cursing his workload. Any repair work is over and above that .
Absolutely we should. That is absolutely correct, though I have not been to the other workshops, these guys do know their job. I happened to stroll aroud their workshop when it was relatively empty (so no one really asked any questions) the body shop work they had done on some cars was amazing. One of my colleagues Polo 1.6 had gone in for a paint job and it was really top notch 99% paint matching .
Old 25th September 2012, 11:53   #5213
Senior - BHPian

Posting my response on the main thread so that more vento owners can view LandCruiser's query

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandCruiser View Post
Any vento owners ever faced the "clutch getting stuck" problem? Especially this seems to happen when trying to release the reverse gear and after pressing the clutch for sometime. Couple of times the car jerked and stalled. I had to then using my hand release the clutch pulling it back. This is sad as it has happened from as early as the car had run 300 kms. Have fixed an appointment with service. Will do a detailed write up shortly.
No , I haven't faced any issue like this . Have you checked the floor mat, whether it gets stuck . Since its apparent that yours is a new 2012 Vento, the clutch pipe issue is also unlikely to be a cause . It maybe caused by a leaking master/slave clutch cylinder
Old 26th September 2012, 18:55   #5214
BHPian

Hey BHP'ians!

I'll be getting the delivery of my 'refreshed' VW Vento HL with navigation very soon! Could any of you let me know if there are any absolutely necessary accessories that needs to be picked up right from the showroom? A list of a few would be really useful! This is the first VW experience for me. Thanks!
Old 26th September 2012, 22:03   #5215
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaildurrani View Post
Hey BHP'ians!

I'll be getting the delivery of my 'refreshed' VW Vento HL with navigation very soon! Could any of you let me know if there are any absolutely necessary accessories that needs to be picked up right from the showroom? A list of a few would be really useful! This is the first VW experience for me. Thanks!
First of all congrats on the new Re-re-freshed Vento. We all would be looking forward to many pics and an ownership review, soon.

Regarding the accessory that you could pick up from showroom itself would be:
1. Mud flaps
2. Two VW Key chain
3. Door sill Premium(with Vento engraved). Gives a great look.
4. Side door protector(To protect door from scratch arising from opening onto a solid surface)

All the above are just my opinions and you should pick up those which you feel would be essential for you.

Do pick up Kagu 3D mats for Vento costing Rs. 5000 which are way far better than the OEM ones that are available at showroom. Been there done that.
el lobo 6061 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th September 2012, 22:43   #5216
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061
First of all congrats on the new Re-re-freshed Vento. We all would be looking forward to many pics and an ownership review, soon.
=======
Do pick up Kagu 3D mats for Vento costing Rs. 5000 which are way far better than the OEM ones that are available at showroom. Been there done that.
Thanks for the kind words and the list! The VW key chain is on the top, as for the rest yes they are essential too. Coming to the mats, 5k is overkill for a mere mat! Do let me know if they have added functionality.
Old 27th September 2012, 09:33   #5217

Hi guys. A query here. I have bought 3d kagu mats for my new Vento which are awesome. But there is no dicky mat as a part of it! Where can I get only dicky mat? Wherever I have asked, they are willing to give the entire set but not single dicky mat. Please let me know if anyone of you knows about shops that sell dicky mat or any online links to buy. I live in Kandivali East.

BTW, I got a lovely keychain with a miniature revolving wheel with VW branding for just 130 bucks from a local shop. It looks awesome!
Old 27th September 2012, 20:27   #5218
Senior - BHPian

Just saw this photo posted on the other Vento thread (VW unwraps the updated etc) and noticed that the new refreshed 2012 Vento comes with a Cigarette lighter and an ashtray.

Well what i wanted was that orange/red color illumination around the lighter, the cubby hole in the Vento is quite deep and in dark finding something inside is a task in itself.
As my Vento didnt come with a lighter, i borrowed my friend's from his Rapid but it didnt glow, any clue as to what it would be?

Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-vento.jpeg

Last edited by coolboy007 : 27th September 2012 at 20:51.
Old 28th September 2012, 14:46   #5219
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

I too have this "problem".

It is the sound of the turbo hissing, but its very prominent and a little too loud for my liking. It sounds like the AC blower has gone to its fastest speed sometimes when i press the accelerator. The sound comes from near the front passenger foot-well.

To replicate this go to a higher gear, say 3rd or 4th gear. Start at 1,200 RPM and press the accelerator all the way to the ground. You'll hear the noise constantly once the turbo starts to spool around 1,600+ RPM. The sound stops as soon as you begin to take your foot off the accelerator.

I still have to drive someone elses TDI and see if the sound is as prominent on all Ventos.

Quote:
I know some of the members had problems with the Reinforced rubber air pipe for the turbo.
I missed this! Could you please point me to these posts you mention?

Thanks,
R
Old 28th September 2012, 15:23   #5220
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan

I too have this "problem".

It is the sound of the turbo hissing, but its very prominent and a little too loud for my liking. It sounds like the AC blower has gone to its fastest speed sometimes when i press the accelerator.

*snip*

I still have to drive someone elses TDI and see if the sound is as prominent on all Ventos.
Rehan,

My vento behaves in the exact same manner. Moreover I've noticed that this really prominent hissing appears when I go out of Bangalore. Something to do with external temperature. Not sure why, although in sure that there is a perfectly rational explanation.
Merril is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks