Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th September 2012, 22:51   #5116
Team-BHP Support

Re: Big Blue's First Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by pillainp View Post
Big Blue is back from first service.

A little steep at 13.8K, but that includes 1.1K for 3M's interior cleaning.
13.8k for first service?

Thats shockingly expensive for a car of its segment. Moreover - why would you need to pay for the below items? If they charge for such basic things - what else do they provide as part of initial free services?

Battery check - Rs 40/-
Lighting check - Rs 80/- (Just to turn on the knob and see if it glows?)
Dipstick removed and reinstalled - Rs 40/-
Oil filter cap removed and reinstalled - Rs 40/-

Washing - 550/- (Washing is supposed to be included as part of service. And they charged such a hefty amount for that?)
Suspension Check - 100/- (I'm sure they wouldn't have touched a thing).
Cooling system checked - 40/-

Idling speed check - 60/- (Just to turn on the engine and see the needle?)
Shock absorber check - 40/- (What was the Rs. 100 for suspension check then?)
Fuel consumption checked - 140/-

Vehicle check - 120/- (Whats a vehicle check? Isn't it the same thing as the 100 other chargeable items they billed you?)
Wheels removed + reinstalled - 80/- (Mind you, its just for removing the wheel. They charged another hefty amount for balancing!)

Handbrake cables adjusted - 60/-
Brake Service - 480/- (Adding all individual items. And NOTHING was changed!)

THIS IS DAYLIGHT ROBBERY from the dealer. Am shocked to see you are OK with it!

EDIT: For comparison, Linea costs around 5-6k per service. And the service interval is 15k kms.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 5th September 2012 at 22:56.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th September 2012, 23:41   #5117
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

As to the brakes, I specifically asked for them to be checked, which probably accounts for the charges on that account.

The rest is just haymaking by the service center.

Maybe if all the local owners complained together, something could be done about it.

I have seen these kinds of charges on my Swift and my brother-in-law's Laura as well.
Old 5th September 2012, 23:54   #5118
BHPian

Every Service station plays their tricks, its for the customers to be aware and to tell them to do what they are supposed to do.
They won't stop whatever.
Every time i visit Maruti or Hyundai i am always recommended for a number of things but i only tell them to do the things i desire and as per service manual.
This is the first time i have seen these out of the world charges. I can assure you they wouldn't have done even half of the checks.

They have charged separately for
Wheel Check
Wheel Balancing
Wheel removal & installation

How on earth is wheel balancing possible without removing the wheel?

I don't remember if i have been charged more than Rs.100 for a windshield cleaner be it my Innova let alone a hyundai or a maruti.
VW has charged 281.
Maruti charges around 30 for the same IMO.

Last edited by k2max6 : 6th September 2012 at 00:08.
Old 6th September 2012, 00:59   #5119
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k2max6 View Post
Every Service station plays their tricks, its for the customers to be aware and to tell them to do what they are supposed to do.
They won't stop whatever.
Every time i visit Maruti or Hyundai i am always recommended for a number of things but i only tell them to do the things i desire and as per service manual.
This is the first time i have seen these out of the world charges. I can assure you they wouldn't have done even half of the checks.

They have charged separately for
Wheel Check
Wheel Balancing
Wheel removal & installation

How on earth is wheel balancing possible without removing the wheel?

I don't remember if i have been charged more than Rs.100 for a windshield cleaner be it my Innova let alone a hyundai or a maruti.
VW has charged 281.
Maruti charges around 30 for the same IMO.
To be fair, they gave me the whole bottle of windshield washer concentrate, which costs 250/-.

The wheel thing is also a regular trick at every service station.

One thing I have noticed is that if the customer mentions anything specific when giving his/her vehicle for service, a charge is sure to materialize.

For eg., if you say that your engine sounds rough, maybe because of the oil, you will surely see charges for dipstick removal/reinstall, oil cap removal, etc, even if they are routine activities during a regular oil change.

It does seem though that the make-work is a tad high at EVM TVM.
Old 6th September 2012, 01:09   #5120
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Thats shockingly expensive for a car of its segment. Moreover - why would you need to pay for the below items? If they charge for such basic things - what else do they provide as part of initial free services?
The Polo, Vento or for that matter any VW/Skoda car doesnt come with even one free service. The very first service is a paid service (for labour as well) and the labour is on the higher side too. The usual service cost is around 10-12 k for most members but the customer needs to be proactive and see what all is being added.

Items in the bill like - AC disinfectant and cylinder lock lubricant amounting to 1200 is strange. These people keep pushing things like, engine flush, ac cleaners blah blah and even if you want to do, its best to get the jobs done outside. This service centre is really a "cheapo", labour for removing/installing dipstick really had me in splits, what next - labour for driving car from entry gate to service bay?

There should be a complaint lodged with VW regarding these malpractices.

Quote:
EDIT: For comparison, Linea costs around 5-6k per service. And the service interval is 15k kms.
I have a Linea too and more than labour parts are cheap, Fiat use semi synthetic oil which costs just 2000 compared to 4k+ for Vento, pollen filter is 40 bucks compared to 1100 for Vento and so on, even the 30k major service costed just 7800 whereas estimate was 11k, useless things like radiator cleaning, injector cleaning and a host of other crappy add ons.

You got windshield cleaner for 75 for your Punto, we pay 281
Old 6th September 2012, 01:28   #5121
BHPian

EVM TVM has other gems, like:

1) Loaner car for 1150/- per day. When I was first told the charges, I thought it was for the entire period, but then he hits me with the per diem bit. I was absolutely shocked.

2) They charge 150/- for a pickup and drop.

These people have found and are exploiting every single avenue to make money.

This is nothing new, or even unique though.

After my wife's C-Section at a major private hospital here in Trivandrum, we were going through the bill, and saw charges for items such as distilled water ampoule breaking - for reconstitution of injectable drugs; spirit swab preparation; injection site preparation (100 bucks for this one if I remember right) - it involves swabbing down the site with the previously prepared spirit swab - which we have also paid to have prepared; there was even a charge for the nurse preparing the prescribed injection and bringing it to the room to administer it - the IV injection procedure itself cost another 250/- a pop.

This is what happens when accountants run things and the bottom line is the priority, rather than the relationship with the customer.
Old 6th September 2012, 07:55   #5122
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolboy007 View Post
I have a Linea too and more than labour parts are cheap, Fiat use semi synthetic oil which costs just 2000 compared to 4k+ for Vento, pollen filter is 40 bucks compared to 1100 for Vento and so on, even the 30k major service costed just 7800 whereas estimate was 11k, useless things like radiator cleaning, injector cleaning and a host of other crappy add ons.
Even forgetting parts (which VW would have priced it high), labour charges alone come to Rs 4510/- for such a basic service.

@pillainp: No offence meant earlier, ok? First time I am noticing a service bill for Polo/ Vento. That too, as coolboy007 mentioned - just few minutes back - I was in two minds whether my 7k per 15000 kms bill was on the higher side.
Old 6th September 2012, 08:56   #5123
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Even forgetting parts (which VW would have priced it high), labour charges alone come to Rs 4510/- for such a basic service.

@pillainp: No offence meant earlier, ok? First time I am noticing a service bill for Polo/ Vento. That too, as coolboy007 mentioned - just few minutes back - I was in two minds whether my 7k per 15000 kms bill was on the higher side.
Some (most actually) of the points that you have raised are very valid. IMO, @pillainp should get it re-checked. On an average, the first service bill has always been between 8-10k, not including additional 3M and other services.

Also, not including wheel alignment/balancing charges, the labor charges (for Vento first servicing) should be 1/3rd of what he has been charged.

Other factors - filter costs, wiper fluid costs are normal, i.e. in line with what is being charged all over the country. Are they high as compared to other brands? Oh hell, yea. That's VW for you!

Quote:
EVM TVM has other gems,
This is what happens when accountants run things and the bottom line is the priority, rather than the relationship with the customer.
Dude, if you have the time, have a comparo with other Vento's first servicing bills. I did yesterday, and where in my bill i see an "Oil Service Charge" (a.k.a main service IMO) for 1200 INR, I see a distributed list of charges for you amounting to over 3k (without 3M services & wheel alignment/balancing charges).

Just on an example basis, 500 for washing? Seriously, it comes under the servicing tab here at Pune, all inclusive. Do check it up if you have the bandwidth.
Old 6th September 2012, 11:03   #5124
BHPian

Quote:
Big Blue is back from first service.

A little steep at 13.8K, but that includes 1.1K for 3M's interior cleaning.

Remember that prominent hissing sound I was complaining about a few posts back?

Well, it turned out not to be from the turbo after all. The reason was an ill-fitting pollen filter - boxed in red on page two, along with the highly technical description of the problem. I will forgive the non-engineers here for failing to grasp the advanced terminology used to describe the problem.

I am attaching the invoice for the service costs, including the interior cleaning. By the way, the IN/OUT KM reading is wrong. It should read 14,950. The Security guy had bad hearing, I guess. But I still wonder how someone missed the ODO reading and upped it by 1K. I spotted it, but it is not worth the hassle correcting it. Thankfully, the proper mileage is recorded in the Service Booklet. Also, why "0" Goodwill?

Please forgive me for not posting my own ownership thread (hangs head in deep shame ), but I keep putting it off. I promise I shall put it up soon.

It has been a bad couple of days without Big Blue. I had to pootle around in my dad's Spark while BB was in for service, and it was a horrible experience (rattles and clanks everywhere, and I swear the steering and clutch were heavier than the Vento's). It's a great feeling to be back in BB's driver's seat
Yes it is a little steep, Yes VW Charges for all minor things like battery check etc, but I am fine with it, as I had owned a Swift earlier and wasn't satisfied with the quality of their service at all. Every time the car went to the SC, and came back, it had a new problem, a lot of things like battery , pollen filter, and minor things for which VW has charged you didn't get checked at all, atleast here they do all those checks, the only thing in the bill which I find is not justified is "vehicle check" when they are checking each and every part, what are they charging for vehicle check? But I guess you can live with it, its minimal (I am not being decisive her, just my opinion). I paid 8.8K for my first service and 15K for my second service (in the second service lock carrier was changed, which costed 4.2K), the second service cost is also on the higher side for me, but I can live with it, considering that I never opened my hood in between services, Moreover I used to pay 3-4K every 5000 KM service in Swift, with a lower quality of service, so it all comes down to the same right? And with a better peace of mind.

Friend, just chill, like every person is different, so is every car, if you have a trouble free car after the service I think you can live with this cost, its roughly 1 Re per Km!
Old 6th September 2012, 12:55   #5125
BHPian

Heh,

I am fine with all the little stuff, too, as long as the car is good after service.

@ crazy driver: No offence taken, pal. It's all good.
Old 6th September 2012, 15:31   #5126
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akula.sreekanth View Post
I have started getting doubts after your post mentioning the mail from VW regarding the alloy wheels. I have already booked. Keeping fingers crossed. :(
@sreekanth,
Got mail from VW customer care confirming the alloys:-

Greetings from Volkswagen Passenger Cars, India.

This bears reference to your following email regarding the Vento Highline Bridge.

With regards to your 2 queries, we wish to inform you that:

1) The Bridge model will have 15 ‘’ Alloy wheels ( Set of 4)
2) The Bridge model will have Climatronic air conditioning which is more advanced than the Climatic air-conditioner

This is for your information please.

Warm Regards,
Customer Care
Sales

So you can rest assured.

w.r.t. My booking - I will most probably switch it to the new updated Highline model. The new features (Navigation/Bluetooth/Reverse Camera) look tempting
Old 7th September 2012, 06:45   #5127
Senior - BHPian

Firstly, if you have received a response from VW customer care, great!

Secondly, whats the deal with the improved Climatronic? I remember someone posting in this thread earlier about improved ACC, but improved in what ways? The old ACC was good enough, did what it was supposed to do, so what's really improved? I haven't got my answer to this so far.

And lastly, do enquire with VW on the cost of the new alloys, I hope it isn't as ridiculous as the old one's - 20k per piece. I was probably the only unfortunate owner on this forum who realized it the hard way!

Quote:
Originally Posted by surd_biker View Post

With regards to your 2 queries, we wish to inform you that:

1) The Bridge model will have 15 ‘’ Alloy wheels ( Set of 4)
2) The Bridge model will have Climatronic air conditioning which is more advanced than the Climatic air-conditioner

This is for your information please.

Old 7th September 2012, 08:35   #5128
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bala80
Firstly, if you have received a response from VW customer care, great!

Secondly, whats the deal with the improved Climatronic? I remember someone posting in this thread earlier about improved ACC, but improved in what ways? The old ACC was good enough, did what it was supposed to do, so what's really improved? I haven't got my answer to this so far.

And lastly, do enquire with VW on the cost of the new alloys, I hope it isn't as ridiculous as the old one's - 20k per piece. I was probably the only unfortunate owner on this forum who realized it the hard way!
Bala- the mail talks about climatronic being better than" climatic" in a general way not improving upon the existing climatronic. As bridge model will have climatronic , sales team is highlighting the same

Some one please post pictures of refreshed vento!! Interiors please
Old 7th September 2012, 08:38   #5129
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by surd_biker View Post
@sreekanth,
Quote:
Originally Posted by bala80 View Post
Secondly, whats the deal with the improved Climatronic?
I prefer lesser electronics in dusty Indian conditions. Climatic would suffice for me. But there is quite a difference between the two.

From VW website :

Quote:
'Climatic' air conditioning
Climatic air conditioning produces a pleasant, consistent temperature throughout your journey. It's extremely user-friendly, automatically achieving your required cabin temperature quickly and efficiently, and regulating it automatically. You can decide the air distribution and blower speed you want and set it manually. The Climatic system includes an interior sensor to measure the current temperature inside the car. The electronic control regulates the temperature of the fresh air intake to reach the set value as quickly as possible and then maintain it.

'Climatronic' automatic air conditioning
Climatronic regulates the temperature of the cabin based on the chosen temperature setting, adjusting the blower speed and operating the air distribution flaps automatically to ensure a pleasant interior climate in all conditions, with minimal draught as the air flows through the passenger compartment. The Climatronic system's electronic control monitors all the key factors, such as the position of the sun, the intensity of its rays and the outside temperature, and adds more or less cool air accordingly.

Climatronic also includes a pushbutton defrost function to clear fogged or iced-up windscreens. This directs the full airflow onto the inside of the glass at the highest blower and heat output settings. If the outside temperature is above 0?C, the cooling system cuts in as well to dry the air before it is heated.
Some pictures from

Climatronic :- http://data.motor-talk.de/data/galle...onic-13854.jpg

Climatic :- http://www.motor-talk.de/attachment/661257/climatic.jpg

DieselDon is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th September 2012, 10:05   #5130
BHPian

^^^^ I think this is too confusing now. The "Climatronic" A/C was always part of the Highline since its launch and seems to be remaining there no matter what. The "Climatic" A/C seems to be a fancy name for the manual version just as the "Climatronic" term is a fancy name for the automatic version. Regardless of bridge version or the refreshed version of the Vento the Highline will always have "Climatronic" A/C as standard feature. The "Climatic" A/C will be part of the Comfortline and the Trendline. I wish VW stops confusing its new and potential customers with all this mumbo jumbo. There is nothing new or better being proposed even in the "Climatronic" A/C and I suspect it is going to be the same as the one that was launched when the Vento was first launched.

EDIT: Since VW have brought on board Arvind Saxena to turn around things with his reputation of being a "sheer genius" (as projected in the media) which all of us have to see if he can live up to, VW should also go ahead and fire all the monkeys and chimps in their sales and marketing department too replacing them with more focused personnel who cut to the chase and stop confusing potential customers.

Last edited by samarjitdhar : 7th September 2012 at 10:11.
samarjitdhar is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks