Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th September 2012, 18:19   #5101
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by samarjitdhar View Post
Finally things start happening at VW after they get Arvind Saxena on board. Moving the price below 10 lakhs makes a lot of difference in states with high road taxes like KA and TN. Add to that the slew of features announced brings the car not only at par but ahead of its competitors now. None of them come with the navigation system. Makes me wonder how much profits VW were making till now given that they took a price cut and added so many features at one shot. Hopefully this move will bring better sales numbers for VW.
I think the new price for HL Diesel is 9.89 ex-showroom Delhi which will make it 10+ ex-showroom in AP, KA and TN. I don't see how they missed this?
Old 4th September 2012, 18:51   #5102
Senior - BHPian

This is an aggressive move by VW, at 20k more than Rapid, they now offer a touch screen nav system, rear camera, steering controls and a bluetooth module to give some of the major features and to have something compared to Verna

Bought a HL Vento 2 months back and would have really loved the new navigation system with bluetooth system , waiting for some images to come up, wonder if it would be the same IPL edition system?

If the nav system + bluetooth is around 30-35k and can be fitted at the dealership, i would be really willing to do it, have a fetish for touch systems and finally that dummy bluetooth button would work.

Didnt like the new alloy design for Vento, the Polo one's look much better if the pictures shown on that thread are true depiction.

Last edited by coolboy007 : 4th September 2012 at 18:58.
Old 4th September 2012, 20:38   #5103
BHPian

motorbeam already puts the exterior pic
Old
Name:  Screen Shot 20120904 at 8.43.06 PM.png
Views: 5075
Size:  573.3 KB
New
Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-2013volkswagenvento.jpg
the alloy design has changed a bit (thinner spokes) but the rapid design still rules

design changed from riverside to lakeside though i prefer riverside still as lakeside is tad too thin. (technically same as attached)

Name:  Screen Shot 20120904 at 8.33.59 PM.png
Views: 5192
Size:  163.3 KB

blacked out headlamps will look cool on lighter colors like TB/White. i think current headlamps will be better bet on darker colors like SB/Black as blacked out lamps will appear narrower.

only exciting thing - Navigation system - pics still unvailable. most likely a chinese hook as I dont think they will put a RNS 510 in a vento, that will give the passat a grin
i think it would be the same vendor which provided the IPL nag system. The only thing now stands is whether the Bluetooth button works?

Last edited by newtonMeter : 4th September 2012 at 20:54.
newtonMeter is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 4th September 2012, 21:16   #5104
BHPian

I really doubt that it will work since the article says that the Bluetooth thingy is available as an add-on!

Fingers crossed though

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtonMeter View Post
The only thing now stands is whether the Bluetooth button works?
Old 4th September 2012, 22:27   #5105
Senior - BHPian

These new alloys are a step back. Why couldnt they source the Rapid ones. Maybe extreme cost cutting here (thats what allowed the price reductions?)

The touchscreen navigation is welcome though. And so are these new headlamps. Will look smashing on the lighter shades.
Old 5th September 2012, 00:14   #5106
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ventolute View Post
Details Details Details please!
Are those DRL s on the fog lamps as well?
Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
It looks somewhat like a tacky version of the Polo GTI face, especially those LEDs. The clean face of the Vento looks much better IMHO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
^^ It is a Polo, not a Vento- check the foglamps.

Abhinav- is this available as an accessory at VW dealerships? Knowing their pricing, it must cost a bomb.
Quote:
Originally Posted by abhilash_iv View Post
What are those protectors on the ORVM? Is it available at accessories shops / online?
Quote:
Originally Posted by souravc View Post
Are those available from VW dealers ? The DRLs look like the Chinese ones that have flooded the market . IMO a Vento misfit .
I would love to have indicator lights on the ORVMs though
Quote:
Originally Posted by speed kills View Post
Hello lads, these "GTI" headlamps are not available at the VW dealership.

These, like most of you have said are Chinese imitations. Would cost you about 35K inclusive of the bulbs.

If you're looking for the genuine GTI headlamps, they would set you back atleast 80K. Someone I know picked these up for his 1.6 from Germany & was fit at a Bosch service station
The headlamps cost 10K each including relays for HID and fitting, though one might get a better quote by bargaining. These aren't available at VW workshops. The DRL's are operated by parking light switch.
Old 5th September 2012, 00:39   #5107
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhinav.Daos

The headlamps cost 10K each including relays for HID and fitting.
10k? Wow! That's a steal

Mind sharing more info about the headlamp levelling function? Does that work with this upgrade?
Old 5th September 2012, 01:07   #5108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speed kills View Post
10k? Wow! That's a steal

Mind sharing more info about the headlamp levelling function? Does that work with this upgrade?
Not sure about that, haven't checked them out in person yet. My cars warranty expires in November after which I plan to do some upgrades I had been holding out on to avoid voiding it.

If any one wants to check these out you can contact Automarc, Defense Colony or Eagle Eyes India, Palika Bhawan.

EDIT: Wattage of the HID bulbs is 55/40

Last edited by Abhinav.Daos : 5th September 2012 at 01:08.
Old 5th September 2012, 01:24   #5109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhinav.Daos View Post
The DRL's are operated by parking light switch.
The headlamps looks good but DRL operated via parking switch is bad. Why? You would need to keep the parking lights on to have the DRL on, which nullifies the use of DRL. All the lights inside the cabin, exterior tail lamp and number plate lights will be on to show off those Passat style DRL.
Old 5th September 2012, 08:04   #5110
Distinguished - BHPian

Overall, I find this re-furbished hoopla a bit too much (w.r.t Vento). So they came out with some improved features, so what. The only key aspects that interested buyers should consider
- The reduction in price. If you already have a quoted final OTR price prior to this launch, check it up again. Quite possible that the earlier "discounts" you were given might get re-set against the reduction in the price.
- The blue-tooth feature addition. Rest all changes are cosmetic, a marketing gimmick IMHO.

The touchscreen nav system has been offered in the past, it didn't make much of a splash then; I doubt if it'll be a deal-breaker/deal-setter now.
ninjatalli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2012, 09:27   #5111
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli
Overall, I find this re-furbished hoopla a bit too much (w.r.t Vento). So they came out with some improved features, so what. The only key aspects that interested buyers should consider
- The reduction in price. If you already have a quoted final OTR price prior to this launch, check it up again. Quite possible that the earlier "discounts" you were given might get re-set against the reduction in the price.
- The blue-tooth feature addition. Rest all changes are cosmetic, a marketing gimmick IMHO.

The touchscreen nav system has been offered in the past, it didn't make much of a splash then; I doubt if it'll be a deal-breaker/deal-setter now.
I find the Bluetooth as a cosmetic thing. One can always buy the cheap Nokia Bluetooth headset. Personally I never missed bluetooth in my car.

BTW a little OT, some gyan on insurance by Mint http://www.livemint.com/2012/09/0421...accessori.html

Last edited by evilshantanu : 5th September 2012 at 09:41.
Old 5th September 2012, 20:42   #5112
BHPian

Big Blue's First Service

Big Blue is back from first service.

A little steep at 13.8K, but that includes 1.1K for 3M's interior cleaning.

Remember that prominent hissing sound I was complaining about a few posts back?

Well, it turned out not to be from the turbo after all. The reason was an ill-fitting pollen filter - boxed in red on page two, along with the highly technical description of the problem. I will forgive the non-engineers here for failing to grasp the advanced terminology used to describe the problem.

I am attaching the invoice for the service costs, including the interior cleaning. By the way, the IN/OUT KM reading is wrong. It should read 14,950. The Security guy had bad hearing, I guess. But I still wonder how someone missed the ODO reading and upped it by 1K. I spotted it, but it is not worth the hassle correcting it. Thankfully, the proper mileage is recorded in the Service Booklet. Also, why "0" Goodwill?

Please forgive me for not posting my own ownership thread (hangs head in deep shame ), but I keep putting it off. I promise I shall put it up soon.

It has been a bad couple of days without Big Blue. I had to pootle around in my dad's Spark while BB was in for service, and it was a horrible experience (rattles and clanks everywhere, and I swear the steering and clutch were heavier than the Vento's). It's a great feeling to be back in BB's driver's seat
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-s1_page1.jpg  

Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-s1_page2.jpg  

Last edited by pillainp : 5th September 2012 at 20:46. Reason: Adding info
pillainp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2012, 21:19   #5113

Quote:
Originally Posted by surd_biker View Post
Same here buddy. I just hope we get the alloy wheels. I can live without the steering mounted controls and leatherette seats two but not alloys.
Same here. I don't recollect whether I have seen 6 spoke alloys or 7 spoke alloys. From one of the new posts in this thread older/better/riverside alloys are 7 spoke. and newer/not so good looking/lakeside are 6 spokes. I don't know whether the one I saw are 6 spoke or 7 spoke. 7 spoke look much nicer.

Quote:
BTW when is the expected delivery?
I'm going through a corporate leasing scheme (wife's company). I paid my down payment cheque and now waiting for the bank to pay the rest. So expecting delivery in 10 days.

Regards
Sreekanth
Old 5th September 2012, 21:35   #5114
Senior - BHPian

Re: Big Blue's First Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Is it just me or are the service costs on the rise?
A bit of the effect is service tax 12.xx% instead of 10% but thats for me as my last servicing was done prior to 1 April 2012. The other major factor which is common between both our servicing costs is that in none of our cars the fuel filter was changed during the first service so thats approx Rs 1300 that was not added to our bill .

Quote:
Originally Posted by pillainp View Post
Please forgive me for not posting my own ownership thread (hangs head in deep shame ), but I keep putting it off. I promise I shall put it up soon.
Do we start a countdown ?

Thanks for sharing the servicing costs, the hissing problem was interesting.
Any idea whats lock cylinder lubricant , the 5th item in part detail .
Old 5th September 2012, 21:53   #5115
BHPian

Re: Big Blue's First Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by souravc View Post
A bit of the effect is service tax 12.xx% instead of 10% but thats for me as my last servicing was done prior to 1 April 2012. The other major factor which is common between both our servicing costs is that in none of our cars the fuel filter was changed during the first service so thats approx Rs 1300 that was not added to our bill .

Do we start a countdown ?

Thanks for sharing the servicing costs, the hissing problem was interesting.
Any idea whats lock cylinder lubricant , the 5th item in part detail .
The service center people left all the part outtakes in the boot, probably to reassure the owner that the parts they have claimed to replace have actually been replaced.

Along with the air filter and pollen filter, they left a small spray can with German writing on it. The English label mentions something about anti-freeze.

I am wondering: Is this the spray some other Vento-ites have reported the service people spraying on the beading to stop the door squeaks plaguing the car? I for one have never had that issue so did not even mention it; so if that is what it is, they must be doing it as a mandated service item.

I will grab a pic and post it tomorrow. Bad light by the time I got home after my "victory lap" from collecting the car after service.

As to the countdown, I will start whipping my lazy *** to start on the writeup ASAP.

Your cheering on will help.

On a personal note, Sourav, the SA mentioned that Yoko's are excellent tires, and I mentioned your tribulations with your Yoko's to him. This was in regard to my having upgraded to PLC's directly out of the showroom.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks