Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th September 2012, 15:51   #5221
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
I too have this "problem".

It is the sound of the turbo hissing, but its very prominent and a little too loud for my liking. It sounds like the AC blower has gone to its fastest speed sometimes when i press the accelerator. The sound comes from near the front passenger foot-well.

To replicate this go to a higher gear, say 3rd or 4th gear. Start at 1,200 RPM and press the accelerator all the way to the ground. You'll hear the noise constantly once the turbo starts to spool around 1,600+ RPM. The sound stops as soon as you begin to take your foot off the accelerator.

I still have to drive someone elses TDI and see if the sound is as prominent on all Ventos.
It is there for me too. In my case if I put the A/C in internal circulation mode, this hissing sound is no more audible. Looks like it has to do something with the air intake portion. Pollen filter or so. I remember after the 1st service, for few KMs this sound was not there. It came up again after some 100+ kms.
Can you please check if this sound subsidize with A/C internal circulation mode ON.
There is no doubt that it is the turbo hissing. But the concern is why is it audible too much inside the cabin.

Last edited by abhilash_iv : 28th September 2012 at 15:53.
abhilash_iv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2012, 16:01   #5222
BHPian

this is the post http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post2722755

Your description of the sound is spot on. I did go to the service centre and get this checked out, the engineer told me this is 'Normal'. The sound is particularly noticeable if the aircon is off. The engineers explanation 'under acceleration the turbo pipe constriction due to lack of air and hence the sound'. With the aircon on, in either mode fresh air / recirculation the sound is there but you have to pay attention to hear it.

I have 5 vento's at the society parking but apart from mine all 4 are petrol so could not verify this on other diesel cars.
siddharthdeb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2012, 16:21   #5223
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merril View Post
Moreover I've noticed that this really prominent hissing appears when I go out of Bangalore. Something to do with external temperature. Not sure why,.
I think it might be due to the selection of higher gears on the highway.

A few weeks back i was trying to demonstrate this sound to another TDI owner, but could barely get it to happen. Only after playing around for a while did i realise that its easier to replicate in 3rd/4th/5th, rather than 1st or 2nd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhilash_iv View Post
Can you please check if this sound subsidize with A/C internal circulation mode ON.
Oh? Will check that out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhilash_iv View Post
But the concern is why is it audible too much inside the cabin.
Yeah, thats the issue. Its too loud.

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddharthdeb View Post
The sound is particularly noticeable if the aircon is off.
I actually notice it most with the aircon on! (Perhaps coz the cabin is quieter then).

Will play around some more and then post here again.

cya
R
Old 28th September 2012, 17:04   #5224
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Will play around some more and then post here again.
Hullo! Never knew we had one more Vento tdi owner around here. Always assumed your earlier inputs were more of general views. A recent buy? You have been quite quiet about it so far.

Congratulations, if it is a recent buy. Although I have this un-canny feeling that you have had the car for quite some time!
Old 28th September 2012, 19:03   #5225
BHPian

Gentlemen, I need your help with a weirdness I am experiencing.Some times, after I have parked , I see just one parking lamp in the front glowing.

Initially I thought it was some weird German thing like , one reverse lamp only or one red lamp in the tail cluster where the other reverse lamp should be. I do not understand the meaning of this.

Anyway, back to my question..The tiny bulb below the head light keeps glowing once in a while after I have stopped the car and I have walked away from it . I have seen this happen twice so far. My parking lamp is not on at this time. Once I start the car , this goes away. Has any one else experienced this?
Old 28th September 2012, 19:10   #5226
Senior - BHPian

I guess you should take a look at the vento features and quirks thread. This feature is mentioned there.
Old 28th September 2012, 21:43   #5227
BHPian

Can someone post a pic of the location of the air release button near the fuel lid? I can't seem to locate it and no petrol pump attendant over here knows about it! Mine is a petrol highline if that's relevant.
Old 28th September 2012, 21:55   #5228
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrnsss View Post
Gentlemen, I need your help with a weirdness I am experiencing.Some times, after I have parked , I see just one parking lamp in the front glowing.

Initially I thought it was some weird German thing like , one reverse lamp only or one red lamp in the tail cluster where the other reverse lamp should be. I do not understand the meaning of this.

Anyway, back to my question..The tiny bulb below the head light keeps glowing once in a while after I have stopped the car and I have walked away from it . I have seen this happen twice so far. My parking lamp is not on at this time. Once I start the car , this goes away. Has any one else experienced this?
Yes I have experienced this only once when I took a long drive in March this year. After a fairly longish drive I had stopped near a restaurant on the highway when I noticed exactly this. The left parking light remained on while I had switched off all the lights. I tried switching the lights on and off a few times but it wouldn't go away. I don't recall now but I think after I restarted the engine and then performed an on - off operation which fixed it or maybe after I completed the drive I saw the problem go away. It has never happened again. I put it down to German ghosts in Das Auto and decided to forget about it. If you are frequently encountering this, do visit the service center.
Old 28th September 2012, 22:18   #5229
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samarjitdhar View Post
Yes I have experienced this only once when I took a long drive in March this year. After a fairly longish drive I had stopped near a restaurant on the highway when I noticed exactly this. The left parking light remained on while I had switched off all the lights. I tried switching the lights on and off a few times but it wouldn't go away. I don't recall now but I think after I restarted the engine and then performed an on - off operation which fixed it or maybe after I completed the drive I saw the problem go away. It has never happened again. I put it down to German ghosts in Das Auto and decided to forget about it. If you are frequently encountering this, do visit the service center.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrnsss View Post

Guys if you leave the indicator stalk on then the parking lights on that side stay on even after you turn the car off. Its a safety feature.
Abhinav.Daos is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th September 2012, 22:29   #5230
Distinguished - BHPian

^^@samajithdar, @rrnsss - what Abhinav says is correct. Not really sure how does it increase safety , but the feature exists.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhinav.Daos View Post
Can someone post a pic of the location of the air release button near the fuel lid? I can't seem to locate it and no petrol pump attendant over here knows about it!
Until someone uploads a picture with the fuel-lid open, you'll have to do with this one.

In the pic below, look for a tiny lever on the inside (where the arrow is pointing) once the fuel lid is opened. It's like a button that can be pressed. It's quite easily visible.

Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review-img_0062.jpg

Quote:
Mine is a petrol highline if that's relevant.
Na, doesn't matter.

Last edited by ninjatalli : 28th September 2012 at 22:40.
Old 28th September 2012, 22:50   #5231
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhinav.Daos View Post
Guys if you leave the indicator stalk on then the parking lights on that side stay on even after you turn the car off. Its a safety feature.
Oh that's something I didn't know of, thanks. But as far as I can recall, my indicator stalk was not on when this happened. That's because I had turned the ignition on half way to see if the problem went away and I do remember that the indicator stalk was not on as there was no blinking action. The problem however stayed. I think it was only when I turned the ignition on fully and switched it off the problem went away. I will test this out though, thanks for pointing out.
Old 28th September 2012, 22:52   #5232
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Until someone uploads a picture with the fuel-lid open, you'll have to do with this one.

In the pic below, look for a tiny lever on the inside (where the arrow is pointing) once the fuel lid is opened. It's like a button that can be pressed. It's quite easily visible.

Na, doesn't matter.
Thanks, I'll check it out in the morning

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
@samajithdar, @rrnsss - what Abhinav says is correct. Not really sure how does it increase safety , but the feature exists.
I guess the logic behind the feature is that you can leave the parking lights of just the side facing the road on to increase the visibility of your vehicle.
Old 29th September 2012, 05:28   #5233
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhilash_iv

It is there for me too. In my case if I put the A/C in internal circulation mode, this hissing sound is no more audible. Looks like it has to do something with the air intake portion. Pollen filter or so. I remember after the 1st service, for few KMs this sound was not there. It came up again after some 100+ kms.
There is no doubt that it is the turbo hissing. But the concern is why is it audible too much inside the cabin.
If this is audible only in the external ventilation mode, then this is the sound of the AC blower and not the turbo. This happens in my car as well. My take: with so many noises around the turbo hissing sound is not audible, turbo is actually placed pretty far from the drivers sitting position. It is indeed the AC fan / blower. I got this confirmed from the service center guys as well.
Old 29th September 2012, 17:24   #5234
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolboy007
Just saw this photo posted on the other Vento thread (VW unwraps the updated etc) and noticed that the new refreshed 2012 Vento comes with a Cigarette lighter and an ashtray.

Well what i wanted was that orange/red color illumination around the lighter, the cubby hole in the Vento is quite deep and in dark finding something inside is a task in itself.
As my Vento didnt come with a lighter, i borrowed my friend's from his Rapid but it didnt glow, any clue as to what it would be?
The cup holder area is indeed lit with the same LED that lights up the lighter ring. I found it a useful feat. as I was able to locate my phone kept there in total darkness. It's not much but does the job. And I was not aware that this is a new feature cause it din't come through the SE.

This is my shot which I'd taken during my Secunderabad VW visit. Do give credits next time.
Old 29th September 2012, 19:18   #5235
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaildurrani View Post
It's not much but does the job. And I was not aware that this is a new feature cause it din't come through the SE
So thats one more added thing in the refreshed ventos, agree its not much but thats a very nice addition, the cubby holes are quite deep and finding something in them using the interior light is a task

Quote:
This is my shot which I'd taken during my Secunderabad VW visit. Do give credits next time.
Chill, i had mentioned the thread name and never said i clicked this photo, you have your credits.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks