Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th October 2012, 15:06   #5296
Senior - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
What/Where is Kiirus?
Kiirus is a tuner who encodes and re-writes the ECU to make more bhp and torque. The changes made are undetectable by VW workshop. They are based at Seawoods, Navi Mumbai.

To get the ECU tuned you could either courier your ECU to them or when they drop down to your city that's when you could have your car tuned.

You can refer to Kryptonite post on his Rapid 1.6 TDi tuning by Kiirus.

Link.
el lobo 6061 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2012, 09:54   #5297
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayek View Post
I have booked the Vento Petrol AT. I spoke to all four dealers in Bombay - three of whom initially said its compulsory and the fourth said optional. But when I was about to book, the fourth dealer also turned around and said its compulsory. That position did not change even when I switched my booking to another dealer as a result of this. I agree that there is the theoretical option of making a hue and cry about this, but if I were going to do that, I would just have bought some other car. So I decided to lump it and book.
Congrats on the booking.So finally you have taken the plunge.
Even I was surprised when my SA mentioned to me that the navigation kit is compulsory and not optional. Though I did argue with him for a few mins, but did not pursue it further since I anyways wanted a navigation kit and the Garmin 2565LM is a good GPS unit. Only grouse I will be having is that I will need to keep the kit mounted on always since it is connected to the reverse camera.
Old 12th October 2012, 22:42   #5298
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by surd_biker
Congrats on the booking.So finally you have taken the plunge.
Even I was surprised when my SA mentioned to me that the navigation kit is compulsory and not optional. Though I did argue with him for a few mins, but did not pursue it further since I anyways wanted a navigation kit and the Garmin 2565LM is a good GPS unit. .
So you actually shifted from the "Highline Bridge" to the New Highline. Have you got delivery of your car yet? How long did it take. And do you really need to keep the GPS module in the car (assuming you are happy to live with the rear sensors alone and don't care for the camera?

No visibility on my car's delivery yet even though it's 2 weeks since I booked.
Old 14th October 2012, 08:27   #5299
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayek View Post
So you actually shifted from the "Highline Bridge" to the New Highline. Have you got delivery of your car yet? How long did it take.
Delivery is expected this thursday or friday. Papers for RTO will be put up by dealer on monday. So it might take couple of days for me to get my hands on my car.
Old 14th October 2012, 21:29   #5300
BHPian

Yesterday i drove one of my friends Vento D and noticed really nice feature. If the car is in Neutral the car has a rev limited of 2.5k RPM, nice.Also the other feature where the person sitting at back can adjust the front passenger sear really nice thoughtful feature by VW engineers.
Old 15th October 2012, 14:03   #5301
BANNED

Volkswagen Vento : MILEAGE FOR PETROL MT??

Hi All,

A friend is planning to buy a petrol Vento,please let me know the feedback on the service and mileage on Manual transmission.

Thanks in advance..

More info on this topic is a welcome
Old 15th October 2012, 16:29   #5302
Senior - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Vento : MILEAGE FOR PETROL MT??

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshguy View Post
Hi All,

A friend is planning to buy a petrol Vento,please let me know the feedback on the service and mileage on Manual transmission.

Thanks in advance..

More info on this topic is a welcome
Heres an ownership thread of a MT Petrol:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ne-petrol.html

Though its not been updated for some time. You can PM chet1376 for more details.
Old 16th October 2012, 14:47   #5303
BHPian

Hello everyone,

I have been wanted to write on this thread for a long time. I got my "Blackbolt" Black Vento TDI HL on 25th August 2012.

This forum has been of a great help and I have carried out small upgrades based on the suggestions made.

Upgraded the tyres to Yokohama 205/55/ R15 S drive. Very impressed with the grip, though some people might find the road noise to be on the higher side. The side wall is pretty tough too, missed spotting a pot hole on NH4 at high speed and the tyre could take the impact!
Got a good deal on the stock apollos and the upgrade cost me Rs.11000 for 4 tyres.

Got a scare when I took the car for a midnight snack @ lonavala, the stock headlamps were really weak, I was asked by my friends to switch them on when they were already on! Changed the set up to match that of coolboy007 and as suggested by el lobo. Thanks guys. Upgrade done @ FM drive Santacruz.

I had an abrupt start to the T-BHP community, please see the link below on the problem faced on my frist drive to Goa here

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ner-smell.html

Cheers,

Balckbolt!
Old 16th October 2012, 21:44   #5304
BHPian

Hello everyone!

I got a black Vento TDI Highline about a month back from Volkswagen Downtown (BLR) and I did a mileage checkup from time to time. With very easy driving (not going above 1800rpm) I am getting only about 10.5 kmpl in the city with AC on 97-100%. I have a friend of mine who has the same car and with his driving style (not so easy )he gets around 12 to 13 kmpl in the city. I can't help but think if there's something wrong with my car. I am not usually too bothered about a car's FE, but when it's giving around the same mileage as my friend's Passat DSG, it does bother me a bit. Any thoughts/suggestions, Vento TDI owners??

-dieselat

P.S : I do a full tank top up checking method, and don't just rely on the Digital calculations done by the car (although it is quite accurate in this case).
Old 17th October 2012, 00:00   #5305
Senior - BHPian

First of all congratulation on owning the Vento and that too in Pearl Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselat View Post
I got a black Vento TDI Highline about a month back from Volkswagen Downtown (BLR) and I did a mileage checkup from time to time. With very easy driving (not going above 1800rpm) I am getting only about 10.5 kmpl in the city with AC on 97-100%.
The reason I could attribute it to is
1. Car is new and it will take a few more KM for the engine to break up and start giving good mileage.

2. Banglore city traffic is very dense and 10.5 is good figure, even my Pearl Black Vento TDi wouldn't give more than 12 if driven in dense Mumbai traffic.

3. Lastly, gear changes at 1800 rpm is too early. Turbo just starts spooling at max at 1500 rpm and you need to go till 2000+ rpm to extract every bit of it. Even changing gears at 2000+ rpm wouldn't harm the engine in running in, but lugging it at low rpm is more problematic, since you need to vary the rev ranges for proper break in.

Here is my take on gear changes in TDi
1st Gear - 2500 rpm
2nd gear - 2300 rpm
3rd gear - 2200 rpm
4th gear - 2000 rpm
5th gear - Overdrive

Last edited by el lobo 6061 : 17th October 2012 at 00:14.
el lobo 6061 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2012, 12:44   #5306
BHPian

Quote:
Hello everyone!

I got a black Vento TDI Highline about a month back from Volkswagen Downtown (BLR) and I did a mileage checkup from time to time. With very easy driving (not going above 1800rpm) I am getting only about 10.5 kmpl in the city with AC on 97-100%. I have a friend of mine who has the same car and with his driving style (not so easy )he gets around 12 to 13 kmpl in the city. I can't help but think if there's something wrong with my car. I am not usually too bothered about a car's FE, but when it's giving around the same mileage as my friend's Passat DSG, it does bother me a bit. Any thoughts/suggestions, Vento TDI owners??

-dieselat

P.S : I do a full tank top up checking method, and don't just rely on the Digital calculations done by the car (although it is quite accurate in this case).
The mileage is related to a lot of other factors as well. I would recommend you take the car out for a stroll on NICE highway, do 60-70 KM and then check the mileage.

I am getting a FE of 16-17 kmpl on my drive on the ORR everyday.
Old 17th October 2012, 13:30   #5307
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
With very easy driving (not going above 1800rpm) I am getting only about 10.5 kmpl in the city with AC on 97-100%. I have a friend of mine who has the same car and with his driving style (not so easy )he gets around 12 to 13 kmpl in the city.
A month old car - I'm assuming you are still in the run-in period (<2000kms). IMO those are some really bad figures - most of the tdi(s) (Vento & Rapids) out here have reported excellent mileages during the initial kms, some having even 20+ kmph (MID) figures for highway drives.

I would recommend what Shantanu has suggested - and then if the FE figures are still less, then take it up with the workshop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
1st Gear - 2500 rpm
2nd gear - 2300 rpm
3rd gear - 2200 rpm
4th gear - 2000 rpm
5th gear - Overdrive
Rohaan,
On the contrary, I won't agree with all three points you mentioned, as to what I have been observing for this car on and off the forum.

Btw I change the gears at far lesser rpms (1100-1800), and they work perfectly fine, with minimal turbo-lags.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilshantanu View Post
The mileage is related to a lot of other factors as well. I would recommend you take the car out for a stroll on NICE highway, do 60-70 KM and then check the mileage.

I am getting a FE of 16-17 kmpl on my drive on the ORR everyday.
+1 to this.
Ditto on the FE figures. Also in-city FE figures (for me) range around 15, experienced on Pune & Mumbai roads.
Old 17th October 2012, 13:52   #5308
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli

A month old car - I'm assuming you are still in the run-in period (<2000kms). IMO those are some really bad figures - most of the tdi(s) (Vento & Rapids) out here have reported excellent mileages during the initial kms, some having even 20+ kmph (MID) figures for highway drives.
Yes. I have done only about 1100 kms. And I do realize that these are really low figures which is why I am taking some interest into this matter. Although I don't expect 20 since the route I take is usually moderate to relatively heavy traffic. I was expecting at least 14.
I will do another trial with full tank to full tank top up and check again and if it still turns out to be around the same. I better have a word with the VW service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061
First of all congratulation on owning the Vento and that too in Pearl Black.

The reason I could attribute it to is
1. Car is new and it will take a few more KM for the engine to break up and start giving good mileage.

2. Banglore city traffic is very dense and 10.5 is good figure, even my Pearl Black Vento TDi wouldn't give more than 12 if driven in dense Mumbai traffic.

3. Lastly, gear changes at 1800 rpm is too early. Turbo just starts spooling at max at 1500 rpm and you need to go till 2000+ rpm to extract every bit of it. Even changing gears at 2000+ rpm wouldn't harm the engine in running in, but lugging it at low rpm is more problematic, since you need to vary the rev ranges for proper break in.

1st Gear - 2500 rpm
2nd gear - 2300 rpm
3rd gear - 2200 rpm
4th gear - 2000 rpm
5th gear - Overdrive
Thank you! Glad to know there are quite a few black vento's in the TBHP community (I had initially booked blue but thank heavens I changed my mind ).

Regarding the turbo lag. I experience virtually no lag (compared to my old swift vdi ). I think it opens up at around 1200 rpm. I tend to keep it within the 1800 rpm range. But off late I've given it to my driver who is clutching too much and keeping it at very low rmps ( as well as quite high -2200) . I did tell me not to do that. But im not sure how much he listens ( at least he listens when he knows I'm noticing him drive )
Did you get such figures during the initial stages with your tdi?

Last edited by benbsb29 : 17th October 2012 at 18:42. Reason: Merging back-to-back posts. Please use the Multi-Quote button to reply to more than one post at a time. Thanks.
Old 17th October 2012, 17:23   #5309
Senior - BHPian

We did like to see your ownership thread soon!

Quote:
Thank you! Glad to know there are quite a few black vento's in the TBHP community (I had initially booked blue but thank heavens I changed my mind ).
Most of bhpians changed from other colors to Shadow Blue, which has been hot favorite among everyone. But Pearl Black with a lustrous paint sealant(better than wax) will give any other color run for its money. At night with tail lights and head light powered on, looks awesome. Yeah I just love my Pearl Black Vento.

Quote:
Regarding the turbo lag. I experience virtually no lag (compared to my old swift vdi ). I think it opens up at around 1200 rpm. I tend to keep it within the 1800 rpm range. But off late I've given it to my driver who is clutching too much and keeping it at very low rmps ( as well as quite high -2200) . I did tell me not to do that. But im not sure how much he listens ( at least he listens when he knows I'm noticing him drive )
Did you get such figures during the initial stages with your tdi?
Driver is the main culprit resulting in such figures with constant clutching and keeping engine revs at higher rpm.

As a simple formula keep the engine rpm during drive at a constant of 1500-1800 rpm and you did get the best figure.

Gear changes are recommended at an rpm which result in next gear resulting in 1500 rpm which keeps the turbo kicking in at max.

Another being, 1st gear is way too short which is too be used from standstill only and when you hit 15 kmph on it, move to 2nd gear as keeping in 1st gear is way too jerky at times.

Another way to look at is(Efficiency point of view only):
1st gear - 15 Kmph
2nd gear - 30 Kmph
3rd gear - 45 Kmph
4th gear - 60 Kmph
5th gear - Overdrive.

Driver needs to be given lesson on how to drive the new TDi's as earlier CRDi demanded to be kept at higher rpms, since they had no turbo or a FGT(Fixed geometry turbocharger). Newer ones with their torque spread out like in VW 1.6 TDi 1500-2500 rpm 250NM, just need to kept at 1800 rpm. I rarely cross 3000 rpm on a daily drive. But occasionally a redlining is needed to keep the engine in good health.

I basically drive in very less traffic, in early morning covering 15 Km in about 24 mins and same while returning in late afternoon 28 min to cover the distance.

On a recent long drive I got an avg. of 16.5 Kmpl with 5 PAX and fully loaded trunk, which is very good considering I was hitting 120 constantly on E-Way. Getting 20 Kmpl is just too much and I don't expect it as I cannot drive the car at cosntant of 80 Kmph over a long journey. 1.6 TDi begs to be driven hard on highways.

What's the tire pressure you are maintaining? I keep an all round 34 psi filled with nitrogen. Ride is just a bit stiff but results in better drive-ability and cornering too.

Last edited by el lobo 6061 : 17th October 2012 at 17:28.
Old 17th October 2012, 17:50   #5310
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
Another being, 1st gear is way too short which is too be used from standstill only and when you hit 15 kmph on it, move to 2nd gear as keeping in 1st gear is way too jerky at times.

Another way to look at is(Efficiency point of view only):
1st gear - 15 Kmph
2nd gear - 30 Kmph
3rd gear - 45 Kmph
4th gear - 60 Kmph
5th gear - Overdrive.
Even I prefer to generally change gears around 1800-2000rpm. In Pune city traffic I generally get 15kmpl. Total Average mileage for 10800Kms have been approx 16.5kmpl.

I have a very basic query here : My office is within the premises of an organised township. So every 100m/200m there is a speed breaker (I cross atleast 8-10 daily one way) and they are big ones where you will definitely have to slow down. So, driving at 2nd gear within the gaps (sometimes it reached 2100rpm) is better or after crossing one I should upshift to 3rd and then again come downshift to 2nd? I believe the former should be a better approach and latter comprises with very frequent gear shift. But driving at 2nd gear also in 2000+ rpm is not fuel efficient either.

So, whats the best approach considering engine health and fuel efficiency both?

Regards,
Aniket Tiwari

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks